If EBE's/Aliens Landed On The White House Lawn Today, What Would The Christrians Say?

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
If EBE's/Aliens Landed On The White House Lawn Today, What Would The Christrians Say?

Do you think they would try to adopt EBE existance into they're religion just like they do every other scientific discovery? Or would they finally wake up and become an atheist...

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually many of the

Actually many of the christians I know believe in ET. They often quote a verse, escapes me at the moment, that "other worlds will be watching". I am sure this is probably a mistranslation or something as the ancients were unaware that the universe is as vast as it is and other planets would almost be a heresy. It was not long ago we believed the Milky Way was the only galaxy and encompassed the entire universe. Hubble was the first to notice the distant lights were not merely other stars but other galaxies.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ET"s vs. Christians

Christians don't wake up to the current reality, that wont change over night. It took five hundred years to pardon Galileo.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
WTF are EBE's? More than

WTF are EBE's? More than likely it would be as Bill Cosby said happens when you get hit by a truck - "First they'd say it then they'd do it!"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know what a large majority

I know what a large majority of them wouldn't do, which would be to rethink everything they know about their cosmology in relation to their religion. Compartmentalization of very disparate ideas is already not a problem for these people so I am pretty sure that most would come up with some fallacious explanation for the existence of aliens and an earth that was created 6000 years ago.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:WTF are

MattShizzle wrote:

WTF are EBE's? More than likely it would be as Bill Cosby said happens when you get hit by a truck - "First they'd say it then they'd do it!"

EBE = Exterrestrial Biological Entity, it's a more better way of saying Alien...

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:WTF are

MattShizzle wrote:

EBEs are Extraterrestrial Biological Entities. Of course silly Christians would find someway to relate them to Jesus.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:Actually

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Actually many of the christians I know believe in ET. They often quote a verse, escapes me at the moment, that "other worlds will be watching". I am sure this is probably a mistranslation or something as the ancients were unaware that the universe is as vast as it is and other planets would almost be a heresy. It was not long ago we believed the Milky Way was the only galaxy and encompassed the entire universe. Hubble was the first to notice the distant lights were not merely other stars but other galaxies.

Have you seen any of those "UFO's In The Bible" episodes on the History Channel...

Quote:

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I know what a large majority of them wouldn't do, which would be to rethink everything they know about their cosmology in relation to their religion. Compartmentalization of very disparate ideas is already not a problem for these people so I am pretty sure that most would come up with some fallacious explanation for the existence of aliens and an earth that was created 6000 years ago.

I don't think theist know anything at all about Cosmology. If they did they would know that there's 400 Billion Planetary Systems/Suns in our single Galaxy. That right there would be enough to make me turn away from my faith. But on top of that when you realize there's BILLIONS UP ON BILLIONS OF OTHER GALAXIES, there's no way someone who knows this info could believe that man was created in god's own image.

Slimm,

Quote:

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
The christians I used to

The christians I used to know actaully said if aliens were encountered they would admit christianity is false. Though if the moment ever arrived, I think they would get cold feet and incorporate it into their fairytale.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
is this before or after they

is this before or after they kill them for being an affront to gods creation?

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:is

The Doomed Soul wrote:

is this before or after they kill them for being an affront to gods creation?

Lol, that wouldn't be a smart move on their part. If the EBE's wanted revenge, I'd let them where they could go on sunday mornings...

Quote:

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we need to make

I think we need to make contact with other life in the Universe, it sure would make us put away our little differences such as skin color, ect...

Quote:

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:I think we need

Slimm wrote:

I think we need to make contact with other life in the Universe, it sure would make us put away our little differences such as skin color, ect...

Or it would increase the number of racist jokes i have at my disposal! i should begin contemplating for grey, and neon purple immediately!

What Would Kharn Do?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:I think we need

Slimm wrote:

I really hope there isn't any other life in the universe. Seriously. That's all we need, another way to deliver spam:

Crop circles.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Satan's tricks

I think they would first claim it was an elaborate hoax. Then they would likely claim satan was responsible somehow. I don't see them accepting ETs any more than they are willing to accept evolution or any other science that doesn't mesh with their book of lies. It doesn't take much for me to picture some sects trying to use it as an excuse for hastening their fairytale concerning armagedon and the "rapture".

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:Do you think

Slimm wrote:

Do you think they would try to adopt EBE existance into they're religion just like they do every other scientific discovery? Or would they finally wake up and become an atheist...

Slimm,

I asked my very religious sister this very question. She does accept there are aliens, she claims to have seen some, no alien abduction though. She told me that the Bible supports there are many worlds out there of God's creatures but we are the only one made in his image. I asked her what if they claimed we were their colonists or survivors from a space ship crash and could prove it. She says in that event they would be Satan's angels lying to us to destroy our believe in God.

In her case complete proof would only substaniate her beliefs in the myths, go figure.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline

I think Christians are quite OK with existence of extraterrestrials. I have one orthodox christian in my mailbox, he responds in a matter of months, so it's always quite a surprise. (he may be even reverend, his name would match one)
I asked him about the original sin and aliens, and he responded, that they would be excluded from the original sin, because only man sinned.
That's logical, unlike one story by Asimov or Clarke, where's a planet full of relatively primitive, but extremely logically thinking swamplings, and when a christianic missionary comes to them and preaches the gospel, to save their souls, they crucify him, to see if God really saves (or resurrects) him or not. In fact, a christian missionary shouldn't ever care about poor ET souls, they had no forbidden fruity xhzrrwah phytostructure in their zhwrrrz garden and no rhaazrr lured them to commit a sin against the eternal, holy xhuuzr.

I have seen UFO once, maybe twice. The first time it was a typical UFO, the second time many years later I saw something like a big flash on the sky, (a light staying on a place, not a falling meteor) which enlightened all the landscape for a while, and woke up all dogs in neighbourhood. It looked like an alien tourists went to see Earth and wanted to photograph the place where I live, but it was currently a night there, so they had to set on a flash on their camera. I hope my mom will never see the photo, because I was out there at night secretly smoking a cigarette.

There are many rooms in my father's house.
- J. Ch.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.