This just wants to make me cry

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
This just wants to make me cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUeoem1gR3s

I couldn't believe what I was hearing... pay special attention to what the guy says at 6:25-6:35.  It made me laugh.  Then I felt sad, knowing that these kids were just lapping it up.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I laughed so hard.I mean,

I laughed so hard.

I mean, I'm bad at math. Really, really terrible with numbers. But even I look like a genius in this area when compared to these two jokers.

'We believe for a stretch of time people lived to be maybe a 1,000 years old.'

'...Oh? For how many generations?'

'Well, I don't know. Probably about 7."

And boom, he torpedoes his own argument.

That this guy leads any kind of educatonal tour is, I'm quite sure, criminal. Isn't there malpractice legislation for educators?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
One of those guys said

One of those guys said "Without doing the math, I think from Adam to Noah, it was about 1,000 years.  I could be wrong though."  And, "We believe people lived somewhere between 800 and 1,000 years of age"

Ok... The first phrase sounds like a guess to me, and the second is just nutty.  Interesting how every other human being during this timeframe (outside that of the Biblical text), had an average lifespan only in the 20's (due to a number of factors).  But I guess that doesn't matter, since it's "bad science".

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know what I don't get?

You know what I don't get? Why does the museum frown upon the group, but tolerate the tour nevertheless?

They're a private establishment. Why not strap a set of cajones on and say, 'Excuse me? Go find another museum, thanks.'

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ryandinan
User is offlineOffline
Well, I can only assume that

Well, I can only assume that they find it as amusing as we do, and just watch in disbelief. Eye-wink

Besides, I suppose it is freedom of speech, no matter how retarded it may be...  I just feel for those poor, poor kids that are getting programmed in this way.

Like the curator said, "Some of those kids will start thinking on their own."  I can only hope so.  Their parents on the other hand, can only hope they do not.

The basic problem is how to break into that little "religious box" in their heads and wake them up to the idea of freethinking, and logic.  I think though, that there is no one approach that works for everyone.  I only woke up once I was exposed to different cultures and started traveling the world.  Maybe there is a way to present information to them in a more palatable way?

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dear Invisible Pink Unicorn!

Dear Invisible Pink Unicorn! This guy makes wanna throw up and bang my head at the wall.

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
I really just get the urge

I really just get the urge to smite the nearest creationist everytime I see or hear crap like this. I stopped arguing with the local creationist a while ago (though the internet and sites like this helped to crush them), but crap like this gets me angry. I just wish I could use pure knowledge to zap people's minds. Then we'd all be free of this creationist bullshit.

Cheers!

A species cannot advance technologically past its social state, lest it destroy itself in the fires of its own creation.
-Doctrine of Sentience

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
-Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Man, I need some kind of

Man, I need some kind of anger management program. Every time i hear such nonsenses i have an urge to kill.