User is offlineOffline
if you goddamn atheists are so SMART...

how do you explain the following miracles:

bob dylan

tom waits

van morrison

johnny cash

nick cave

i'm pretty sure they're all theists too!  so just what makes you so much goddamn smarter than the man who wrote, "there ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk."  THERE HAS TO BE A GOD IF HE GETS DRUNK!!!  DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe you'd give some links

Maybe you'd give some links to those people and their aledged miracles,since I have no idea who they are.Instead of expecting us to do your homework.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Explain Please.

The burden of proof is on the one(you) making the extrondinary claim.

If God created man in his own image, explain the following:

Pee Wee Herman

You

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:how do you

iwbiek wrote:

[...]

i'm pretty sure they're all theists too!  so just what makes you so much goddamn smarter than the man who wrote, "there ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk."  THERE HAS TO BE A GOD IF HE GETS DRUNK!!!  DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!

Haha - thanks for that. It's good to have a sense of humour about the whole thing.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Maybe you'd give

Loc wrote:

Maybe you'd give some links to those people and their aledged miracles,since I have no idea who they are.Instead of expecting us to do your homework.

For shame, Loc. You don't know who they are?

<clue>

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Loc wrote:Maybe

Eloise wrote:

Loc wrote:

<clue>

Ok I've heard of Johnny Cash, but that's about it. Thought he had something to do with music but wasn't sure..judge me all you want

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Eloise wrote:Loc

Loc wrote:

Eloise wrote:

Loc wrote:

<clue>

Ok I've heard of Johnny Cash, but that's about it. Thought he had something to do with music but wasn't sure..judge me all you want

eh I don't mean it personally, sorry Loc Smiling just kidding around.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Loc

Eloise wrote:

Loc wrote:

Eloise wrote:

Loc wrote:

<clue>

eh I don't mean it personally, sorry Loc Smiling just kidding around.

Ah I know.I'm not that sensitiveI think most of them were before my time so that's why I don't know them

dudeofthemoment wrote:

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Maybe you'd give

Loc wrote:

they didn't do no miracles!  they WAS the miracles!  go online and check out they music n sich, because

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!

is sending you a miracle right now!

check out my new preachin tape, son:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/6243/

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The burden of

EXC wrote:

The burden of proof is on the one(you) making the extrondinary claim.

If God created man in his own image, explain the following:

Pee Wee Herman

You

simple.  his hand slipped.

--Hunter S. Thompson

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I never heard of Tom Waits

I never heard of Tom Waits or Nick Cave.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Loc wrote:Maybe

iwbiek wrote:

Loc wrote:

they didn't do no miracles!  they WAS the miracles!  go online and check out they music n sich, because

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!

is sending you a miracle right now!

check out my new preachin tape, son:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/6243/

This is seriously a joke isn't it. You're not theist..you're just making fun of them right. In any case, I'm not going to go look them up. You're the one with the claim, you provide the evidence.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:how do you

iwbiek wrote:

bob dylan

tom waits

van morrison

johnny cash

nick cave

My wife points out (apropos of nothing): Bob Dylan, like Jesus, was Jewish.

Thanks, man. I like every one of 'em. You have excellent taste in miracles.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i forgot warren zevon. 

i forgot warren zevon.  also jewish.  and van morrison's mother was a jehovah's witness.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Err Cliff Richard

Allegidly a devout Christian but in most countries would be considered a war crime.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
why do i get the feeling "I

why do i get the feeling "I am god as you" made another account so he could talk to us in a more... familiar language... and not screw up his persona?

I could be wrong, its just a gut feeling of similarity

What Would Kharn Do?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I never

MattShizzle wrote:

They're two of the greatest living songwriters in the world in my opinion.  You should check them out. 

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Meiosis

Another male chauvinist!

The human men that you listed can be explained by meiosis and sexual reproduction, among other things. 

But you left out some females, so I thought I would add to your list:

Joni Mitchell

Carly Simon

Carole King

Joan Baez

Dolly Parton

Beethoven and Mozart were atheists, by the way.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
GAH!

Matt, I'll try not to hold it against you...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm not a male chauvinist! 

i'm not a male chauvinist!  i'm a huge fan of billie holiday, jane monheit, and the lovely sister rosetta tharpe.  yes, she was a gospel singer, but goddamn what a voice, not to mention her guitar playing.  check her out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXfHfQ

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:why do

The Doomed Soul wrote:

why do i get the feeling "I am god as you" made another account so he could talk to us in a more... familiar language... and not screw up his persona?

I could be wrong, its just a gut feeling of similarity

the easiest way would be to compare our IP addresses, i would think.

i am an american living in europe, married, and teach english.  do i fit the mold so far? 

--Hunter S. Thompson

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:Another

entomophila wrote:

Another male chauvinist!

The human men that you listed can be explained by meiosis and sexual reproduction, among other things. 

Joni Mitchell

Carly Simon

Carole King

Joan Baez

Dolly Parton

Where's Janis? WHERE'S JANIS? That list is woefully incomplete with Janis.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i am an

iwbiek wrote:

i am an american living in europe, married, and teach english.  do i fit the mold so far? 

Im not sure... no ones really asked him... anything >.> hehehe

but there is an undeniable similairity... "infinite number of monkeys" clause?

What Would Kharn Do?

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm !Also Theists: -

Hmmm !

Also Theists

- Michael Jackson

- Jessica Simpson

- Clay Aiken

- Paris Hilton

- Scott Stapp

Atheists:

- John Lennon 

- Rush

- REM

-Trent Reznor

- Pink Floyd

- Eddie Vedder

- Tool

- Bjork

- Dave Matthews

Now Compare........This is fun !

"Give me the satan-worhsipping family down the block.. the one w/ the good albums".  Bill H.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:MattShizzle

jmm wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

They're two of the greatest living songwriters in the world in my opinion.  You should check them out. 

Without a doubt - the best.

See, atheists and theists CAN agree on something, lol.  Sticking out tongue

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's not forget that Creed

Let's not forget that Creed is a theist group.  Do we need any more evidence?

(By the way, I'm just throwing evidence out there.  I'm not even sure what we're trying to prove.  I just think Creed is one of the best arguments out there)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shania Twain -- Theist. 

Shania Twain -- Theist.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:Another

entomophila wrote:

Another male chauvinist!

Joni Mitchell

Carly Simon

Carole King

Joan Baez

Dolly Parton

Nix Dolly Parton and add Janis Joplin, and you've got a decent list.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: so just what

iwbiek wrote:

so just what makes you so much goddamn smarter than the man who wrote, "there ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk."  THERE HAS TO BE A GOD IF HE GETS DRUNK!!!  DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!

When God get drunk does he see Jesus?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Nix

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Nix Dolly Parton and add Janis Joplin, and you've got a decent list.

Dolly Parton should count for 2 miracles.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: (By the

Hambydammit wrote:

(By the way, I'm just throwing evidence out there.  I'm not even sure what we're trying to prove.  I just think Creed is one of the best arguments out there)

I think the argument was, some famous people were theists, hence god exists. How could we have been so blind!

dudeofthemoment wrote:

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Hambydammit

Loc wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I think the argument was, some famous people were theists, hence god exists. How could we have been so blind!

actually the argument was god gets drunk, therefore there must be a god.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
when god gets drunk, he sees

when god gets drunk, he sees ME!  i'm his dream.  i'm an american dream.

now a word from my pastuh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YGYVEuWRs&feature=related

--Hunter S. Thompson

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Everyone knows the devil has

Everyone knows the devil has the best tunes not atheists or theists

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i don't know about that. 

i don't know about that.  death metal blows ass.

i am a h.i.m. fan however.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like naming artists and

I like naming artists and bands. I don't care whether they're religious or not. Here's some I like:

Muse (Atheist/ Conspiracy theorists)

Radiohead

Joni Mitchell

Laura Veirs

Jeff Buckley

Placebo

Feist

Sigur Ros

Mogwai

Nels Andrews

Amiina

Pulp

Morrissey/ Smiths

Editors

The Beatles

Nirvana

Jimi Hendrix

Explosions in the Sky

Me (Atheist)

So there are musical geniuses who are religious. So what? Most of my musical heroes are dicks anyway.

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i don't know

iwbiek wrote:

i am a h.i.m. fan however.

Apparently you've never heard Satan play a fiddle before. Just visit attend a fiddling context next time you're in the southeast. Unfortunately Satan has a tendency to dip out at the last minute with a replacement. The people who sub in for him are always great though even if their music does lack soul.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
jacob, you're a musician? 

jacob,

you're a musician?  me too.  what do you play?  i play guitar, harmonica, banjo, autoharp, and bass.  actually pretty much anything with strings i can figure out.  i just joined a country band here in slovakia where i now live, of all things.

it's funny you mention morrisey.  i love how lt. dangle on reno 911 periodically wears a morrisey t-shirt.

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:  But

entomophila wrote:

Joni Mitchell

Carly Simon

Carole King

Joan Baez

Dolly Parton

...all of the above are accomplished female artists  to say the least, but too conventional for my twisted mind

Musical females of my preference:

Bjork

Nina Hagen

Annie Preven ( Ednaswap )

Shirley Manson ( Garbage )

Linda Perry ( 4 Non Blondes )

Dolores Oriordon ( The Cranberries )

...and if I'm feeling really, really disconnected from reality , then I'll listen to Laurie Anderson ( avant garde performance artist )

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:...all

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

...all of the above are accomplished female artists  to say the least, but too conventional for my twisted mind

Bjork

Nina Hagen

...and if I'm feeling really, really disconnected from reality , then I'll listen to Laurie Anderson ( avant garde performance artist )

What? Where's your Kim Deal? Johnette Napolitano? Neko Case? And how about Louise Post? Or even Lucinda Williams, for crying out loud!

Laurie Anderson scares the livin' bejeezus out of me, though.

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i am an

iwbiek wrote:

Really ?

iwbiek wrote:

They were the miracles ?

But lets back to topic, music and music talent have more common with mathematics then miracles. Do you have any proof for that a music talent is a miracle ? What about carpenter talent ? Programist talent ? Retoric talent ?

Give me a break...

Ecrasez l'infame!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i don't know

iwbiek wrote:

Even Christian Death Metal like As I Lay Dying?  What about Power Metal like Children of Bodom?

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
joan baez annoys the shit

joan baez annoys the shit outta me.  i think that's because i'm a huge fan and collector of early american music (blues, mountain, hillbilly, early jazz, celtic), mostly from the '20s and '30s, and she was one of the ones who turned that kind of music into poppy, politicized schmaltz.  the same goes for pete seeger, the byrds, peter, paul and mary, etc.  i can't stand any of them.  dylan's early folk albums get on my nerves too.  "blowin' in the wind" is one of my least favorite dylan songs.

--Hunter S. Thompson

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance wrote:But lets

Blind_Chance wrote:

But lets back to topic, music and music talent have more common with mathematics then miracles. Do you have any proof for that a music talent is a miracle ? What about carpenter talent ? Programist talent ? Retoric talent ?

Dont forget the Talent for looking good

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote: What?

nigelTheBold wrote:

What? Where's your Kim Deal? Johnette Napolitano? Neko Case? And how about Louise Post? Or even Lucinda Williams, for crying out loud!

Laurie Anderson scares the livin' bejeezus out of me, though.

Actually your list of female artists has sparked my interest ( although I am familiar with Napolitano / Concrete Blonde )  so now I'm off to YouTube and Dailymotion.com to browse around.

Incidentally, back in 1980 Laurie Anderson was a surprise guest at my art history class at North Texas State University.  That was kind of neat.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance wrote:iwbiek

Blind_Chance wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Really ?

iwbiek wrote:

They were the miracles ?

Give me a break...

touchy people on here.  i thought one of the headings of this particular forum was "humor."  do you people ALWAYS expect a battle?

i mean, i'm posting links to videos of crazy preachers.  anybody here into irony?  anybody?

p.s.  yes, really.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

"Dolores Oriordon ( The Cranberries )"

DOLORES!  fuckin A!  as a man with a healthy dose of celtic blood (welsh), i am IN LOVE with dolores!

--Hunter S. Thompson

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:...all

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Bjork

Nina Hagen

Great list, Prozac, I concur.

LMFAO at Exc on Dolly's miracle[s].

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:"Dolores

iwbiek wrote:

"Dolores Oriordon ( The Cranberries )"

DOLORES!  fuckin A!  as a man with a healthy dose of celtic blood (welsh), i am IN LOVE with dolores!

Yes, the ancient Celts were an awesome people.  They conquered the city of Rome in 390 B.C.,  in 279 B.C. attacked and conquered the Greek city of Delphi and destroyed the Temple of Apollo, and kept the severed heads of their enemies as trophies....

....but were an artistic people, expert iron workers and considered females as the equal of men, ( eg, Boudica, their warrior queen who led them in rebellion against Rome .)

Yeah, the Celts kicked ass.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

entomophila wrote:

Joni Mitchell

Carly Simon

Carole King

Joan Baez

Dolly Parton

Bjork

Nina Hagen

What about Kim Deal? Or  Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins? Or Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre)?  I'm almost surprised no one mentioned Beth Gibson from Portishead. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I like naming artists and bands. I don't care whether they're religious or not. Here's some I like:

Muse (Atheist/ Conspiracy theorists)

Radiohead

Joni Mitchell

Laura Veirs

Jeff Buckley

Placebo

Feist

Sigur Ros

Mogwai

Nels Andrews

Amiina

Pulp

Morrissey/ Smiths

Editors

The Beatles

Nirvana

Jimi Hendrix

Explosions in the Sky

Me (Atheist)

So there are musical geniuses who are religious. So what? Most of my musical heroes are dicks anyway.

I always thought Muse were religious for some reason.  Who knew.  Mogwai is another stellar band, as is Sigur Ros.  Not a fan of Explosions in the Sky though I do like Mice Parade which is kind of in the same genre.

Liars is another 'best band ever', imo. 

Oh, and The Roadside Graves - they even have a song called 'God touched Me and I didn't Like It' that they wrote for yours truly.  lol  Smiling

What the fuck is this thread about again?