Marvel comics led me to atheism and rational thinking!

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marvel comics led me to atheism and rational thinking!

I'd just like to share a story about how I started to analyze the world around me in a critical way. I started becoming aware of the stupidity of religious beliefs when I was around 8 years old. My mother started  taking me to church more and more and the boredom increased on every occasion. I remember practicing the pointless ritualistic forming of the cross on your head after touching the holly water, I remember performing the lords prayer and thinking about how stupid it sounded. I remember my aunt who is a nun  telling me about hell and how not praying could cause me to go there. Fortunately around the same to my best friend who's mother didn't care about church, would take us to the comic store and allow us to select two comics each and every weekend. I started forming a small collection, around the same time the heavy indoctrination started. My father wasn't around much because he was always working and I found it difficult to make sense of everything because I had my mom telling me it was true, and my dad telling me to just go to just please my mom. So while I had bible study I also read comics, I read the gospel of silver surfer and how he sacrificed himself to save his planet from galactus the devourer of worlds. Kind of reminded me of Jesus accept the story was much more intriguing and well written. Also Silver surfer didn't ask for anything in return, It was a genuine selfless act!! I became obsessed with comics and I couldn't stop reading, I would stay at my friends house and read for hours because his collection was much larger than mine. I started learning about things like alternate dimensions, super string theory, gamma radiation, and philosophy, all due to comic books. I read the fan letters to the comic writers about how Dr strange was a "deus ex machina," and how his immortality was a poor plot device.   My friend had a large encyclopedia collection and we started reading about all the things we saw in comics, like gamma rays, other dimensions etc. Now I've come to realize that I was actually 9 years old and doing scientific research. Even though I didn't understand the majority of it I was determined to read more until I did. I started asking my mom about all the scientific things I learned about in comics. I asked her if Jesus was more powerful than Galactus? I showed her the marvel card and asked her if there was a Jesus card I could compare stats with. Keep in mind this whole time my family (on my moms side) was really trying to indoctrinate me, the most important thing to them was always instilling the fear of hell in me! But I told them that Ghost Rider and Dr Strange had defeated Mephisto on various occasions and that if I where to arrive in hell I could probably defeat him!! I think back now and laugh at how funny that was, but at the time they didn't enjoy that I was reading comics and they told me to throw them away. Imagine telling a kid to throw away his comics because they aren't in accordance with religious dogma. After that a big argument broke out between my father and mother, although my dad didn't like comics either because they where fictional. He still believed they where works of art and he was happy I had also started drawing. My dad told me to take my comics to my friends house and not tell my mom, so I did and they stopped bothering me for a while.

I still had to put up with going to church, and I remember being so bored that by the end of mass I had counted to a 1000. Whenever I wanted to draw in church they wold take away my pencil and paper. To this day I think one of the worst things religions due is they seem to bore you into submission! I used to sit and wonder how it was possible that Jesus the son of god could just stand there and be killed? I mean didn't he have any powers aside from turning sticks into snakes and healing the blind? I also read about the infinity gauntlet and how anyone who could wield it essentially became a god! I also read about Thor, Zeus, Loki, hercules, and the whole pantheon of gods. At this point I was around 10-11 years old and going to church started to really piss me off. It's the age where you start to develop independence and I got the courage to ask my dad why he never went to church? He was always working so I didn't see him often and I always assumed he was also religious because he never stopped my mom from making me go to church. Well he said, I dont go to church because he dont agree with everything they say there," I told him I didn't agree either and he smiled. He asked me what I had learned about science, and I told him I tried to learn as much as I could but I didn't understand most of it. Thats when he told me to research something called evolution. I remembered seeing it in X Men how mutants where an evolved form of humans with powers. I started reading the encyclopedia and I thought I had figured it out, people weren't made they evolved, everything evolved! After that realization any fear of religion I had left in me was completely gone. I laughed at the concept of hell, I though the idea of man being made of dirt was ridiculous, and I started asking questions again. I told them I though Catholicism was a joke and the death of Jesus was a poor plot device. I told them that comic books had much better story lines and they where alot better at giving people good morals. X Men spoke out against discrimination and racism, in spiderman his uncle said "with great power comes great responsibility," that became his theme and he always helped everyone in need. Countless arguments went on for the next couple of years, everyone pointing the finger at my father for encouraging my disbelief. I told them I wouldn't go to church anymore and that it was wrong to force me to go! Finally around 13 they stopped forcing me to go to church. Around 15 my interest in philosophy grew after reading about Thanos and how he was symbolic of friedrich nietzsche because of his nihilism. It was then that I learned that my father was an atheist and he told me more about Darwin and natural selection. He showed me how different plant and animal life adapted to there surroundings and his statements where only reinforced by everything I learned in school. I'm always thankful for having one rational person to show me the light when I thought everyone was insane! I am also thankful for Marvel comics stimulating my imagination and eventually causing my interest in art, philosophy, and body building.

I always tell everyone who has children that they should give them comic books, they stimulate creativity and encourage a critical thinking approach through out life. I think if people studied the bible with the idea that it was fictional perhaps we could extract something useful from it. But it is the fact that indoctrinated people regard it as real that is the problem. If it where not for comic books my religiously indoctrinated family may have won the battle and made me a sheep. But I had The Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, Darwin, logic, and The X Men on my side, all they had was Jesus and the fear of hell!!  Just thought I would share this with everyone, tell me what you think.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
A very interesting story-it

A very interesting story-it even had a happy ending!  Congrats on seeing the folly of religion at such a young age. I agree, reading even fiction will greatly increase a child's capacity for rational thought. When I was young I read all the Star Trek I could get, which gave me a understanding of science far beyond my peers. In ST religion is thought of as a antique superstition, and science has answered man's problems. Who knows, it may have triggered part my eventual disbelief.

If the bible was a quarter interesting as any of this, maybe they wouldn't have to indoctrinate children.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I knew there was a reason I

I knew there was a reason I Made Mine Marvel!

I always thought it was a one-eyed kid (me) who liked watching Daredevil do his thing. Now I discover that they helped me think also.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:A very interesting

Loc wrote:

A very interesting story-it even had a happy ending!  Congrats on seeing the folly of religion at such a young age. I agree, reading even fiction will greatly increase a child's capacity for rational thought. When I was young I read all the Star Trek I could get, which gave me a understanding of science far beyond my peers. In ST religion is thought of as a antique superstition, and science has answered man's problems. Who knows, it may have triggered part my eventual disbelief.

If the bible was a quarter interesting as any of this, maybe they wouldn't have to indoctrinate children.

Same. Star Trek inspired me to learn about science.

Now that I look back at it though, its all technobabble. Almost every premise on the show has to do with "energy fields" and some kind of inherent dualism. In the next generation everything had to do with standard theory particles, and in Voyager they talked endlessly about neural networks, string theory, and quantum physics. Granted, they used all of these terms in pseudoscientific concepts to make ridiculous things seem plausible, but it definetly encouraged me to research the stuff that they were talking about.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
The good thing about sci

The good thing about sci fiction it makes people aware of change. Just about everyone today realises that life in the future will be very different and the differences will be due to science not to religion. This is very different mind set to people who lived 2000 years , 1000 years or even 300 years ago where people basically expected life to never change bar the end of the world

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:Loc

theotherguy wrote:

Loc wrote:

Same. Star Trek inspired me to learn about science.

Now that I look back at it though, its all technobabble. Almost every premise on the show has to do with "energy fields" and some kind of inherent dualism. In the next generation everything had to do with standard theory particles, and in Voyager they talked endlessly about neural networks, string theory, and quantum physics. Granted, they used all of these terms in pseudoscientific concepts to make ridiculous things seem plausible, but it definetly encouraged me to research the stuff that they were talking about.

Yeah I used to watch star trek too, I would also say that made me turn towards science rather than superstition. But I do recall alot of nonsense, It was still a great show to stimulate a kids creativity. It seems however that as time progresses and technology accelerates so quickly the line between sci-fi and hard science starts to blur. I recal Neuromancer by William Gibson, it had mention of cyberspace, hacking, and a number of other ideas that would soon become reality. Sci-fi is sometimes more of an "educated guesser," than it is complete nonsense in my opinion. Accept in the case where clearly it doesn't make sense like some episodes of star trek. By the way you know they have patented 3 products that where inspired by star trek the next generation since it came out! Heres one of them, it's supposed to be like the tri corder.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.rss.html?pid=23441

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love how your Dad didn't

I love how your Dad didn't even need to put his position forward.
Just answered your curiosity when you asked questions with genuine interest.

They say that truth needs no promotion...

I didn't read comic books when I was younger, but just pop culture in general was great.
Reading "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchet was pretty good for my perspective on religion.
Although I wasn't exactly indoctrinated with a fear of hell, I was still brought up at a Catholic school going to Catholic church on Sundays, and while we weren't scared into believing, we were still brought up to see Christianity as... you know, the greatest good.
You'd still read and come across bits about the Spanish Inquisition, the persecution between Catholics and Protestants, but they didn't really sink in as the nature of religion until you read a satire and you suddenly realise that it corresponds with all the observations you've made on it.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Literary pursuits

Although I was a bit of a comic book freak as a kid... I'd say what solidified my burgeoning atheism and general world view was the works of Robert Heinline, 'Stranger in a Strange Land', 'Time Enough for Love' et al.

RAH sort of opened up my world view.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Although

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Although I was a bit of a comic book freak as a kid... I'd say what solidified my burgeoning atheism and general world view was the works of Robert Heinline, 'Stranger in a Strange Land', 'Time Enough for Love' et al.

RAH sort of opened up my world view.

LC >;-}>

Science Fiction/Superhero stuff in any form will do this.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”