Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline

Just joined.  I haven't figured out much yet.  Will read more posts before daring to add my 'two-bits'.

I consider myself to be an atheist (Fairly positive there is no god). 

Most recent books read: 

of my choice =

Richard Dawkins The God Delusion

Loved it

A friend recommended:

Deepak Chopra The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success and The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga

Not enamored.  Tried to watch a PBS progran and was put to sleep by Deepak.

Another recommended book:

Joseph Campbell The Masks of God

Good background for some crossover myths from other traditions to judaism/christianity

Other than that, I guess I would say I have always been a skeptic about religion in general and christianity in particular.  I just couldn't admit I was atheist until recently.  Now, I am proud to be in another 'majority' (besides 'baby boomer').

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Seven Spiritual Laws of

Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga? Seriously?

Hahahaha!

Oh Deepak. I once only considered you a scientific fraud (not joking - he's been fined) but now, a comic genius.

Welcome aboard, Lyz.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forums! Have

welcome to the forums! Have fun and don't be afraid to jump right in.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Lyzandra!

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chopra

Thank you for the welcome.  Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. 

looked him (Chopra) up on Google.  I read that he was sued but the widow didn't have enough money to pursue legal action against him.  He no longer has a license (said he allowed it to lapse).

Like I said, listening to him put me to sleep.  Not just his voice, but the topic.  It's a good gimmick, if you can keep it going long enough. 

Thanks again.  As I said in my first post, I'm still figuring out how things work. 

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
My thanks for your greeting

I'm still trying to get the hang of things (like responding to others posts in a timely manner). 

Thank you for your greeting.

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome greetings

Also thanks for the welcome and apologies for the tardy reply. 

Looks like you have (or had) a new baby recently?  Congratulations and best wishes.  I know you will probably do everything in your power to make certain he or she is kept from being indoctrinated into a religion while still a minor in your safe care.

PS: did you hear about the girl who died recently in Weston Wisconsin of complications of diabetes.  Her parents prayed for her to get better. 

Somebody better tell those parents, god isn't responding to sick calls these days.

Respectfully, Lyz

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Deepak Chopra actually discusses his God with Richard Dawkins in "The Enemies of Reason" special, and Dawkins gets fairly agitated by his ludicrous responses. It is available in youtube in a 5 part format. I don't know which section the Deepak Chopra thing is in(probably 3 or 4), but it is definitely worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQ57X3YhH4

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!I

Welcome to the hizzle!

I consider Deepak Chopra a charlatan - he was an actual doctor and gave it up for the pseudoscientific bullshit. So he knew how to think rationally but realized bullshit pays better.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome greetings

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Deepak Chopra actually discusses his God with Richard Dawkins in "The Enemies of Reason" special, and Dawkins gets fairly agitated by his ludicrous responses. It is available in youtube in a 5 part format. I don't know which section the Deepak Chopra thing is in(probably 3 or 4), but it is definitely worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQ57X3YhH4

>>>

Thanks for the thread (to Dawkins/Chopra).  I can't imaging Dawkins flustered by Chopra.  I'll try to watch it ASAP.

I missed seeing Dawkins when he was in Madison, Wisconsin recently.  But I've seen some other (Youtube) interviews of his (RD).  He just seems so 'unflappable'. 

Thanks, again.

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you are correct

MattShizzle wrote:

Welcome to the hizzle!

I consider Deepak Chopra a charlatan - he was an actual doctor and gave it up for the pseudoscientific bullshit. So he knew how to think rationally but realized bullshit pays better.

>>>

Chopra was a doctor.  The operative word being 'was'.  A neurologist, if I remember correctly.  The widow of one of his patients tried to sue him because he proclaimed her husband free of the disease Chopra had been 'treating' him for (with 'ancient homeopathic remedies') and the man died shortly thereafter of the same disease Chopra had declared him cured of (from).

I just don't like happy happy joy joy people.  (Think happy/you will be happy.) Sure that works for a while, but then I just start to believe the person is brain dead or in need of a rest in the mental hospital.  Reality is, not every thing is h h j j.  Not every day. 

Sometimes its more like SOS/DD. 

I've really got to read some more posts here.  I'm way behind. 

I have been posting, intermittantly on FFI...guess what, they don't like me so much.  Granted, I give the muslims a bit more grief than I do the christians.  But the christians (well 1 christian) inferred that FFI doesn't like atheists because 'it gives muslims more ammunition' to use against christians (in arguments).

Funny as far as I'm concerned.  (on many levels)

Life can be good.

I'll be around.  Catch ya later.

Respectfully, Lyz

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins vs. Chopra

Here is the Chopra link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmMdnO4qE4&feature=related

Dawkins doesn't get flustered, but merely pissed off when people spout lies about science to his face. Dawkins pops off right after Chopra say scientists have become too arrogant and fundamentalist in their approach.

What is FFI?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
All hail Zeus ;)

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Here is the Chopra link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmMdnO4qE4&feature=related

Dawkins doesn't get flustered, but merely pissed off when people spout lies about science to his face. Dawkins pops off right after Chopra say scientists have become too arrogant and fundamentalist in their approach.

What is FFI?

>>>

I watched it.  I believe Chopra knew when he had misspoken. 

FFI as I understand it, is a website created (funded) by some guy (?) who goes by the name Ali Sina.  He apparently had left islam and set up the website to 'challenge' muslims to prove islam is the 'religion of piece'; that mohommed is the last profit of god; etc.  A.Sina has offered $$$ and to shut down his site if any muslim can 'defeat' him in a challenge i.e.,debate. 

And then you have others debating whether or not mohammed was a pedophile; did jesus call himself the son of god, etc. 

Yah...anyway, here is the site if you want to take a look:

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/

It may say faith freedom, but it isn't a freedom FROM faith site.  It's basically christians and muslim apostates, some buddhist, hindu, etc, either trying to convince muslims to abandon islam or individuals slamming or defending various ethnic groups.  Whatever. 

You go away...SoS/DD  It's very much like a soap opera that you can get addicted to if you aren't careful.  You have to remember the soap opera isn't real.  I don't know if that Ali Sina is real or not.  I don't care. 

The christians there try to make it sound like their version is the better, more correct, kinder/gentler religion.  I'm not biting.  So some don't like me putting in my $.02 once in a while...when it doesn't support their agenda.  (Life just ain't fair sometimes). 

Then there are others...I just think they are rabid and need to be put down before they hurt themselves.  They take this internet crap so seriously.  It's NOT life or death people.  Keep it in perspective.

Again, thanks for the link.  I'll be around.

Respectfully, Lyz

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

I'll check it out.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeus to you too

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I'll check it out.

>>>

Gees...don't tell them I recommended them.  I'd much rather you visit Richard Dawkins site (didn't I put that in my first post?)

Don't get me wrong...it can be amusing.  But some of them just take themselves too damned seriously

Respectfully, Lyz

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I did

I signed up to RD yesterday. I have been on that site many times previously for various articles and things, but just signed up in the forums, and it seems like it has some good discussions. That other site is interesting.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I signed up to RD yesterday. I have been on that site many times previously for various articles and things, but just signed up in the forums, and it seems like it has some good discussions. That other site is interesting.

I was banned from RD.net for defending RRS.  After that I was considered banned on sight.  The moderator told everyone it was because I was name calling and Trolling.  Actually I never called anyone a single name.  I did deliver one mild insult though.  It was, "Do you refute any of my arguments or are you just displaying your normal distasteful personality?"

I posted one post with a long-winded defense of RRS, one bump post, and one last post with that sentence on it.  Immediate ban and deletion of all but my original post.

How the hell can you troll with only two posts(can't count the bump post.  And heck they don't have a rule against bumping, they even added functionality implemented on the website to help people bump more efficiently)?

No.  They banned me for defending the RRS.

Mr. Dawkins is wonderful.  I saw him in Austin a couple weeks ago.  His forums, unfortunately, are utter shit.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
R Dawkins site

Watcher wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I was banned from RD.net for defending RRS.  After that I was considered banned on sight.  The moderator told everyone it was because I was name calling and Trolling.  Actually I never called anyone a single name.  I did deliver one mild insult though.  It was, "Do you refute any of my arguments or are you just displaying your normal distasteful personality?"

I posted one post with a long-winded defense of RRS, one bump post, and one last post with that sentence on it.  Immediate ban and deletion of all but my original post.

How the hell can you troll with only two posts(can't count the bump post.  And heck they don't have a rule against bumping, they even added functionality implemented on the website to help people bump more efficiently)?

No.  They banned me for defending the RRS.

Mr. Dawkins is wonderful.  I saw him in Austin a couple weeks ago.  His forums, unfortunately, are utter shit.

>>>

I'm not the worlds most prolific poster.  I've posted there a few time.  Again, not a member long.  I just bought 'The God Delusion' in January '08.  Yours sounds like a bad experience and probably not that uncommon (I'm guessing) since I've been told on FFI that I 'detract' from the purpose of the site (not in so many words).

Respectfully, Lyz

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria wrote:>>>I'm

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

>>>

I'm not the worlds most prolific poster.  I've posted there a few time.  Again, not a member long.  I just bought 'The God Delusion' in January '08.  Yours sounds like a bad experience and probably not that uncommon (I'm guessing) since I've been told on FFI that I 'detract' from the purpose of the site (not in so many words).

Hmmm...sounds like you will fit in perfectly here...

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fitting in...

Watcher wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

>>>

Hmmm...sounds like you will fit in perfectly here...

>>>

So far so good.  I'm still trying to get my 'sea legs'.  We will see how 'fitting in' goes. 

PS:  FFI was hacked a little while ago.  FFI reportedly has some muslims who figured out their weakness and they had problems that kept their site from functioning properly for a while.  But they couldn't 'defeat' Ali Sina in a debate (so their version goes) so they (the muslims) attacked the site to crash it.

Respectfully, Lyz

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I met Dawkins last year at

I met Dawkins last year at the AAI convention, and found him charming.  One of my prized possessions is a photo of the two of us.  You will never hear anything but praise for Dawkins coming from me or any other core member of RRS.  It is a pity that the RD board moderators appear more interested in politics than promoting atheism.   Sad to say, but a little face to face dialog (or webcam to webcam) would probably have cleared up any problems.  I hate when rumors are more credible than first hand information.

I had thought to post a few times on RD with the same screen name to see if I got an RRS ban, but it's never really been that important for me to find out.  Suffice it to say that if Dawkins ever wants support from RRS, he'll get it, and contrary to the reputation we seem to have acquired, we're just waiting for the RD forum folks to be nice.

Sorry for the digression, but I thought it was important considering the talk of Watcher's RD issues.  Nice to have you on the boards, Lyz!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
same screen name?

Hambydammit wrote:

I met Dawkins last year at the AAI convention, and found him charming.  One of my prized possessions is a photo of the two of us.  You will never hear anything but praise for Dawkins coming from me or any other core member of RRS.  It is a pity that the RD board moderators appear more interested in politics than promoting atheism.   Sad to say, but a little face to face dialog (or webcam to webcam) would probably have cleared up any problems.  I hate when rumors are more credible than first hand information.

I had thought to post a few times on RD with the same screen name to see if I got an RRS ban, but it's never really been that important for me to find out.  Suffice it to say that if Dawkins ever wants support from RRS, he'll get it, and contrary to the reputation we seem to have acquired, we're just waiting for the RD forum folks to be nice.

Sorry for the digression, but I thought it was important considering the talk of Watcher's RD issues.  Nice to have you on the boards, Lyz!

>>>

I hadn't thought about changing my screen name depending on what website I'm on.  What an interesting idea.  I think I could deal with a little 'multiple personality disorder' once in a while.

>>>

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
FFI seems to be having problems again

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

What is FFI?

>>>

Not many weeks ago FFI had problems.  They said it was because they have been so successful in helping muslims leave islam or at least inferred that muslims had attacked the site. 

Well, whatever the reason, FFI is having problems again today. 

>>>

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
FFI still disfunctional

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

What is FFI?

>>>

Not many weeks ago FFI had problems.  They said it was because they have been so successful in helping muslims leave islam or at least inferred that muslims had attacked the site. 

Well, whatever the reason, FFI is having problems again today. 

>>>

>>>

Still malfunctioning.  I'm 'jonesing' for FFI.  What will all those people do if they can't vent?   or

This can't be good.  Either the muslims have finally got someone smart enough to attack their site successfully or Ali Sina had to take his site down because some muslim 'won' the bet. 

Have to wait and see if the site comes back up and who is left standing. 

Respectfully, Lyz

Xaphan3296
Xaphan3296's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lyz!

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Just joined.  I haven't figured out much yet.  Will read more posts before daring to add my 'two-bits'.

I consider myself to be an atheist (Fairly positive there is no god). 

Most recent books read: 

of my choice =

Richard Dawkins The God Delusion

Loved it

A friend recommended:

Deepak Chopra The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success and The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga

Not enamored.  Tried to watch a PBS progran and was put to sleep by Deepak.

Another recommended book:

Joseph Campbell The Masks of God

Good background for some crossover myths from other traditions to judaism/christianity

Other than that, I guess I would say I have always been a skeptic about religion in general and christianity in particular.  I just couldn't admit I was atheist until recently.  Now, I am proud to be in another 'majority' (besides 'baby boomer').

Lyz...it's me.

Where have you been?  Love to get together and talk.

"Such evil deeds could religion prompt"...Lucretius 96-55BC

"Men never do evil so completely & cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction"...Blaise Pascale 1623-1662

Xaphan

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

It looks like you have already made a few good friends here!! 

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Xaphan

Xaphan3296 wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Just joined.   

Lyz...

Where have you been?  Love to get together and talk.

Hi:

What's with 'Xaphan'?  I'm still in Wisconsin.  PM me.  If you are still near Madison, we can meet up sometime. 

I've been on FFI (but the site has been down/sabotaged again). 

Gees, it's been a while. 

When did you get a computer and become interested in 'the net'?  Let's set something up...

Later

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
What happens in 'Vegas'...

Boon Docks wrote:

Boon Docks,

Yep, (delete).  Or was this post meant for 'Xaphan'? 

Respectfully, Lyz

Xaphan3296
Xaphan3296's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanx

I saw you clarified that post on the other website...Thanx.  I appreciate that I didn't have to take you to 'task' for that misrepresentation.  Let's forget it now. 

"Such evil deeds could religion prompt"...Lucretius 96-55BC

"Men never do evil so completely & cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction"...Blaise Pascale 1623-1662

Xaphan

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Howdy

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Boon Docks wrote:

Boon Docks,

Yep, (delete).  Or was this post meant for 'Xaphan'? 

I do feel redneck now!     This was directed at Lyz,  but I can extend it to include X also if need be.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
good friends?

redneck? 

As in you know you're a redneck if...? 

Did you choose 'boon docks' because you are from the 'sticks'?  I spent six years on a farm 11 miles from the nearest town.  The town had one drugstore, one bank, one grocery store...etc.   Basically they rolled up the sidewalks at 9 pm.   The only A&W was owned by the police chief.  My graduating class was <100.  I called it 'podunk'...that's pretty 'red neck' in my mind.

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
clarification

Xaphan3296 wrote:

I saw you clarified that post on the other website...Thanx.  I appreciate that I didn't have to take you to 'task' for that misrepresentation.  Let's forget it now. 

It's forgotten.  Thanx.

Respectfully, Lyz

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

redneck? 

As in you know you're a redneck if...? 

Did you choose 'boon docks' because you are from the 'sticks'?  I spent six years on a farm 11 miles from the nearest town.  The town had one drugstore, one bank, one grocery store...etc.   Basically they rolled up the sidewalks at 9 pm.   The only A&W was owned by the police chief.  My graduating class was <100.  I called it 'podunk'...that's pretty 'red neck' in my mind.

Bigger than where I live. We don't have a grocery store or drugstore. What's an A & W?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Bigger

MattShizzle wrote:

Bigger than where I live. We don't have a grocery store or drugstore. What's an A & W?

You have never heard of A & W Rootbeer?  You have been deprived!  A & W Rootbeer makes the BEST floats w/ vanilla ice cram.  They serve burgers, fries, etc.  They used to have the people come to your car to take your order and bring your order out to your car and take the tray (and garbage) back when you were done eating.  Most of the A & W's around here are closed now. 

The 'culture shock' for me was moving from a metropolis out to this farm.  I went from a public elementary school that took up the whole block to a one room school house serving grades 1-8 with sixteen (16) children and AND outdoor toilets (not the kind that flush).  You learned real quick not to drink too much water and wait to go to the bathroom until you got home (especially in the winter).

The teacher (one teacher for all 8 grades and music) had to come early in the winter to light the franklin-type pot-bellied stove to warm the school house.   Fortunately, the firewood was provided.  Otherwise, that would probably have been our physical education activity. 

Respectfully, Lyz

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

You have never heard of A & W Rootbeer?  You have been deprived!  A & W Rootbeer makes the BEST floats w/ vanilla ice cram.  They serve burgers, fries, etc.  They used to have the people come to your car to take your order and bring your order out to your car and take the tray (and garbage) back when you were done eating.  Most of the A & W's around here are closed now. 

The 'culture shock' for me was moving from a metropolis out to this farm.  I went from a public elementary school that took up the whole block to a one room school house serving grades 1-8 with sixteen (16) children and AND outdoor toilets (not the kind that flush).  You learned real quick not to drink too much water and wait to go to the bathroom until you got home (especially in the winter).

The teacher (one teacher for all 8 grades and music) had to come early in the winter to light the franklin-type pot-bellied stove to warm the school house.   Fortunately, the firewood was provided.  Otherwise, that would probably have been our physical education activity. 

since you state you grew up in a rural semi-rural area, consider this, others that do probably know of local traditions that you probably never heard of. Ever hear of Moxie or tasted it?, How about a Beanie Burger?  Didja know Nacho is a man's nickname in Hispanic areas, especially Texas and the Texas/Mexico border?  I suppose the point I'm making here is that ignorance of a particular super-local cuisine or tradition isn't absolutely deprivation.  Just a bit for you to think about.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
OK you can still find A & W

OK you can still find A & W rootbeer, but the last restaurant anywhere close to here of theirs closed in the early 1980s.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:Lyzandra Daria

Kay Cat wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

since you state you grew up in a rural semi-rural area, consider this, others that do probably know of local traditions that you probably never heard of. Ever hear of Moxie or tasted it?, How about a Beanie Burger?  Didja know Nacho is a man's nickname in Hispanic areas, especially Texas and the Texas/Mexico border?  I suppose the point I'm making here is that ignorance of a particular super-local cuisine or tradition isn't absolutely deprivation.  Just a bit for you to think about.

Is everybody on my 'case' this month? 

I meant 'deprived' in the sense that he had never enjoyed a frosty mug of rootbeer with vanilla ice cream.  So shoot me.

Next time I'll just supply the damned link and not even attempt the 'social graces'. 

http://www.awrestaurants.com/about/default.htm

Respectfully, Lyz

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Small town

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I am from a town of maybe 10,000.  We have 2 A&W's here, and a small variety of other retailers, one of which I work 45 to 50 hours each week.  In fact my boss is asking for more overtime again.  I can't imagine with the economy as weak as it is, that a retailer would want so much OT from it's employees.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:OK you can

MattShizzle wrote:

OK you can still find A & W rootbeer, but the last restaurant anywhere close to here of theirs closed in the early 1980s.

Fortunately, for me, one of the nearby gas station/stores (like PDQ or some other similar franchise) serves the A & W line.  "one of the", what am I thinking, there is only one.  The other gas station is a mom & pop deal.  Getting an oil change or tires mounted requires a trip to the city unless you have someone 'handy' with that sort of mechanical work.

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Lyzandra

Boon Docks wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I am from a town of maybe 10,000.  We have 2 A&W's here, and a small variety of other retailers, one of which I work 45 to 50 hours each week.  In fact my boss is asking for more overtime again.  I can't imagine with the economy as weak as it is, that a retailer would want so much OT from it's employees.

10,000 is a huge community (comparatively) 1100+ in the town nearest to me.  The next nearest is almost twice that.  Woohoo!  I don't really like small towns because everybody wants to know your business.  Unfortunately, my daughter likes 'sharing' much more than I do.  I have to figure out a way to get a place in the city.

You are correct about the economy, though.  I'm getting 28 hpw.  When I can pick up extra hours (like today) I jump at the chance.  The price of gas takes a huge chunk of my pay...since I have to travel 45 min (90 round trip) on mostly highways for work.  Still, it's a job.  For the time being...it's a job.

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello...again

It's been a long, long time.  I didn't believe my sign-in/password would still work after all this time.

Anyway, it's good to see RRS is still viable.

I've got a lot of catching up to do.  I'll be 'around'.

Respectfully, Lyz

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome back!   

Welcome back!  

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thanx Sapient.So much has

Thanx Sapient.

So much has changed.  It is nice to know the 'welcome mat' is still out.  

Respectfully, Lyz

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back.

Did you get your shots, and remove your shoes before  entering, Sapient has changed a few rules since you were last here.   Did he slap on the rubber gloves and do  a 'dedicated' check before saying welcome back, he did me 3 times last week;  I realy like Brian but don't tell the others.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient's welcome back

Should I be offended that I didn't get a more thorough check-up?  I have been gone a long time after all.

Or should I be 'proud' that I was able to get back to RRS without being thoroughly vetted?

Nope...I got the generic once over and now I still have a lot of catching up to do.  

New rulz...oh my.  I see the page has changed too.  I'll find the rulz and try to play within the given boundaries.  

I won't tell anybody about your 'secret' fondness for Brian...if you don't.

Respectfully, Lyz

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back!

Welcome back!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thanx...

Thanx...

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, welcome back to the

Lol, welcome back to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Lol,

butterbattle wrote:

Lol, welcome back to the forum.

Thanx...I'm getting back into it.

Skepticus
atheist
Skepticus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Great to have you here! I'm also quite new and have learned a lot! This is a lively place with lots of interesting topics. I can also recommend www.talkorigins.org. A brilliant site which really helped me.

Enjoy!

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
FMStereo wrote:Great to have

FMStereo wrote:

Great to have you here! I'm also quite new and have learned a lot! This is a lively place with lots of interesting topics. I can also recommend www.talkorigins.org. A brilliant site which really helped me.

Enjoy!

>>>

Thanx and welcome to you.

I'm not exactly new...it's just been a while since I've been here.

Glad to be back though.  

>>>

Respectfully, Lyz