Who Created "God"?

Leeboy
Leeboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who Created "God"?

Of all the controversies of the Big Bang, most Christians respond by asking, "Well, who created this-and-that which must have happened for this Big Bang to occur?" They say that there was no way that this could happen, as everything must have a beginning. The universe must have been created, then, by this rule. But then, if everything has a beginning, who created "God"? If everything has a beginning, then "God" must have been created, too. Who did it? Everyone I have asked this said "God" created "God", that he created himself because he wanted to. But to want to do something, you must have an intellect, and to have anything, you must be created, in the views of Creationists. Now am I just crazy, or does anyone else see what I am getting at. If any Christian can bash the Big Bang, I can bash creation.What do you think of my thoughts?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leeboy wrote:Of all the

Leeboy wrote:

Of all the controversies of the Big Bang, most Christians respond by asking, "Well, who created this-and-that which must have happened for this Big Bang to occur?" They say that there was no way that this could happen, as everything must have a beginning. The universe must have been created, then, by this rule. But then, if everything has a beginning, who created "God"? If everything has a beginning, then "God" must have been created, too. Who did it? Everyone I have asked this said "God" created "God", that he created himself because he wanted to. But to want to do something, you must have an intellect, and to have anything, you must be created, in the views of Creationists. Now am I just crazy, or does anyone else see what I am getting at. If any Christian can bash the Big Bang, I can bash creation.What do you think of my thoughts?

Man created god.  Or invented him, rather.  They needed some way to explain natural occurences and used the idea of god as an explanation for things they didn't understand.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see what you're getting

I see what you're getting at, Leeboy. It's a form of "special pleading". It boils down to everything needs a creator, but god is different and does not. Typically there's no explanation for why god is different, and if there is one it's some argument from ignorance. (My favorite so far is: some fellow claiming the difference was god was the uncollapsed wave superposition of all possible things. Yay not knowing much about quantum physics.)

I think the whole "god created god" thing is some weak attempt to camouflage the special pleading. It's so absurd I can't grasp why anyone would bother to utter it, but the ability of humans to deny reality knows no bounds.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Leeboy
Leeboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Science Teacher

My science teacher was the one who said that God made God. Rather insane, her brother commited suicide and she was never the same. She always throws in "supposedly" when talking about evolution or the big bang. Mostly anything that contradicts the bible. She started a branch of the FCA, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She snuffs anyone who doesnt go. Some Christian she is!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The "who created God"

The "who created God" response has actually been around for centuries, and theists have never been able to answer it in a good way.  Sounds like she definitely shouldn't be teaching science.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a good way to shut

That's a good way to shut down the watchmaker arguement. The xtian will say everything created needs a creator. Then you ask if god had a creator.

If they say no: then everything doesn't need a creator,there is no reason to believe creationism.

If they say yes:then god isn't the universes' creator and there's no reason to believe creationism.

I don't know if there's a glaring flaw there. I haven't put massive amounts of thought into it.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leeboy wrote:My science

Leeboy wrote:

My science teacher was the one who said that God made God. Rather insane, her brother commited suicide and she was never the same. She always throws in "supposedly" when talking about evolution or the big bang. Mostly anything that contradicts the bible. She started a branch of the FCA, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She snuffs anyone who doesnt go. Some Christian she is!

Your science teacher said that!?!?  That's disgusting!  But when I was doing my student teaching my host teacher was somewhat like that. 

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:Man created

pariahjane wrote:

Man created god.  Or invented him, rather.  They needed some way to explain natural occurences and used the idea of god as an explanation for things they didn't understand.

I hardly see it as invention, rather as regression Eye-wink

Ecrasez l'infame!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rocas511 wrote:That's

Rocas511 wrote:
That's disgusting!  But when I was doing my student teaching my host teacher was somewhat like that. 

Huh? How often does this happen in the states? What's the point of having a science teacher who can't teach basic science?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Rocas511

HisWillness wrote:

Rocas511 wrote:
That's disgusting!  But when I was doing my student teaching my host teacher was somewhat like that. 

Huh? How often does this happen in the states? What's the point of having a science teacher who can't teach basic science?

Unfortunately many parts of the US right now are having a bit of a teacher shortage, or at least that's what I hear from the education majors at my college. Its gotten to the point that schools you don't need certification to teach anymore. Instead all you have to find is a school desperate for teachers and as long as you're at least working on getting certified they'll hire you. The result is that you end up with a few morons on the payroll. Of course, even when teachers are hired with full credentials you still end up with few idiots making their way into the classroom. And as far as religion being injected into classroom material, its commonplace, especially in more religious areas of the country. I grew up in the southeast for most of my life which is one of the most religious areas in the US. I had a physics teacher who had a habit of saying "and it just happens to be that way" whenever talking about seemingly improbable facts such as the moon's and sun's gravitational effects on the earth's tides. And I had one teacher who once accepted "God did it" as a right answer on a test when some girl wrote it down.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
MattShizzle wrote:The "who

MattShizzle wrote:

The "who created God" response has actually been around for centuries, and theists have never been able to answer it in a good way.  Sounds like she definitely shouldn't be teaching science.

The answer to "Who created god" is simple, we did. The debunking of such absurdities the species creates is not wide spread but even more simple, "Infinite regress"

I don't know if anyone remembers the "Decon" insect spray comercial...

"Decon! Kills bugs dead"

"Infinite regress. Kills god(s) dead"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance

Blind_Chance wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

I hardly see it as invention, rather as regression Eye-wink

Ha!  I think you're absolutely right.  I can understand early man's desire to 'explain' things but for crying out loud, who would have thought it would have lasted this long.  lol.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that "who created

I think that "who created god?" is an excellent question. If he always existed, why can't the universe have always existed? etc, etc.

They can't logically answer this question, so it is a very strong point.

People may get bored of me saying this but no matter how unlikely the universe may appear, it is far more unlikely that an all powerful sentient being sprung into existence out of nothing.

I may put it in my signature bar once I get it worded nicely.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends on what god were

Depends on what god were talking about, for example I am sure L. Ron Hubbard invented Xenu.