Supernature and the Abstraction Capacity

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Supernature and the Abstraction Capacity

Supernature and the Abstraction Capacity - A Case for Supernatural Existence

1. The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts.

• This capability I call the "abstraction capacity". Particularly, it refers to the search for meaning -- the why -- that underlies information. (That is, it particularly refers to the religious quest.) Also, it refers to the tendency to inquire about the nature of existence, which may lead (for example) to the discovery of basic principles such as the Law of Contradiction.

2. Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival.

• The survival instinct is based solely on reactions to immediate stimuli. To say the same thing another way, there exists nothing in the natural order which can challenge our quest for survival in any abstract way, whether directly or indirectly.

3. It follows from these that the abstraction capacity can neither be a direct nor indirect result of our natural quest for survival.

• To wit: the answer to the question "Why do we ask why?" can be found neither immediately nor ultimately in our natural quest for survival.

To say the same thing another way, the abstraction capacity must be the result either of supernatural stimulus/stimuli or of some natural quest other than survival.

4. The abstraction capacity is not the result of some natural quest(s) other than survival.

• There is no evidence of any natural quest that both has a non-survival-based source and results in some functional development in its followers. Until we know of such a quest, it would be silly to allow its practical application.

5. Anything which stimulates, exists.

• This is the instantiation principle. "Whatever has the property F, exists", where in this case "F" refers to active stimulation.

6. It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s).

I don't have a deep, thought-provoking signature......but I do love chocolate!

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote: Supernature

dmar198 wrote:

1. The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts.

• This capability I call the "abstraction capacity". Particularly, it refers to the search for meaning -- the why -- that underlies information. (That is, it particularly refers to the religious quest.) Also, it refers to the tendency to inquire about the nature of existence, which may lead (for example) to the discovery of basic principles such as the Law of Contradiction.

• The survival instinct is based solely on reactions to immediate stimuli. To say the same thing another way, there exists nothing in the natural order which can challenge our quest for survival in any abstract way, whether directly or indirectly.

3. It follows from these that the abstraction capacity can neither be a direct nor indirect result of our natural quest for survival.

• To wit: the answer to the question "Why do we ask why?" can be found neither immediately nor ultimately in our natural quest for survival.

To say the same thing another way, the abstraction capacity must be the result either of supernatural stimulus/stimuli or of some natural quest other than survival.

4. The abstraction capacity is not the result of some natural quest(s) other than survival.

• There is no evidence of any natural quest that both has a non-survival-based source and results in some functional development in its followers. Until we know of such a quest, it would be silly to allow its practical application.

• This is the instantiation principle. "Whatever has the property F, exists", where in this case "F" refers to active stimulation.

6. It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s).

Apart from the obviously fallacious nature of your reasoning(making arbitrary and unsupported presuppositions, non-sequiturs, and the like), it is all laid to waste by the following:

That we have the capacity of abstract thought is a part of our physiological makeup; which, has been dictated by the intelligent process of evolution, as expressed in our DNA. 

While evolution is an intelligent process, it is also a NATURAL process, not supernatural.  It started out simple and has increased in complexity over billions of years.  Evolution is constantly in the process of adapting life in infinitely varying ways in accordance with changes in the circumstances and surroundings of the life it governs.

And, the capability of abstract thought is just an evolutionary experiment.  If it fails to help us to survive, it will have failed as a survival mechanism and may never be repeated, again.  Or, it may be repeated with improvements. 

None of this requires anything outside of the natural Universe - and, that's what supernatural is - something outside of the natural Universe.

Your first task, is to be able to demonstrate the existence of such a place.  You have yet to begin.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:Supernature

dmar198 wrote:

1. The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts.

This capability I call the "abstraction capacity". Particularly, it refers to the search for meaning -- the why -- that underlies information. (That is, it particularly refers to the religious quest.) Also, it refers to the tendency to inquire about the nature of existence, which may lead (for example) to the discovery of basic principles such as the Law of Contradiction.

It seems that other members of the ape family also have the ability of abstract thought, though not to the degree nor sophistication of humans. That kind of removes the whole "human alone" part of the equation. Not that this invalidates the rest of your syllogism. I just find it entertaining when people state that humans are somehow unique in our ability to reason abstractly. T'ain't so.

Also, we don't know the limit of other creature's ability for abstract thought. Cetaceans, for example, seem to have a fair capacity.

dmar198 wrote:

2. Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival.

The survival instinct is based solely on reactions to immediate stimuli. To say the same thing another way, there exists nothing in the natural order which can challenge our quest for survival in any abstract way, whether directly or indirectly.

Of course it has a place in our natural quest for survival. Our ability to reason abstractly allows us to plan for the future, whether ten minutes from now, or next month. The ability to reason about our observations of the natural world has a clear survival advantage.

For instance, our ability to reason let us see that if we could stand back and poke at a predator with a stick, the predator couldn't get close enough to eat us or our children. And so spears were born. Our ability to reason let us see that, during a drought, other places may not be in drought. Where a "dumb" animal would just stay and starve, groups of humans would leave the afflicted area. Later, our reasoning let us see that we could divert water and irrigate fields even during a drought (assuming there was a source of water nearby).

Our ability to reason abstractly has gotten us out of many sticky situations.

And, there are many abstract challenges. Such as drought.

Claim #2 goes against common sense, let alone against years of evolutionary study.

dmar198 wrote:

3. It follows from these that the abstraction capacity can neither be a direct nor indirect result of our natural quest for survival.

To wit: the answer to the question "Why do we ask why?" can be found neither immediately nor ultimately in our natural quest for survival.

To say the same thing another way, the abstraction capacity must be the result either of supernatural stimulus/stimuli or of some natural quest other than survival.

It's from a natural quest for survival, as indicated by point #2.

dmar198 wrote:

4. The abstraction capacity is not the result of some natural quest(s) other than survival.

There is no evidence of any natural quest that both has a non-survival-based source and results in some functional development in its followers. Until we know of such a quest, it would be silly to allow its practical application.

Invalid conclusion, as point #2 is an invalid assertion.

dmar198 wrote:

This is the instantiation principle. "Whatever has the property F, exists", where in this case "F" refers to active stimulation.

Here we definitely agree, as we can both reason abstractly about existence of things that exists.

Here's a question: is the converse true? Does anything that exist, stimulate? (This has nothing to do with the issue at hand. I'm just curious what you think.)

dmar198 wrote:

6. It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s).

This is a huge leap. Where in your rationality did you allow for supernatural being(s)? Why not just a supernatural abstract process?

There are many forces at work in evolution. The two best-known are "mutation" and "natural selection." They are also two of the most misunderstood, and I think you exhibit some of the symptoms of that misunderstanding.

First, "mutation" doesn't mean a sudden change. It just means change. The source of mutation is not always chaotic, either. For instance, cross-species recombination via viral interaction has been observed. It might even be that viruses are one of the important driving forces of mutation. This goes against the whole radiation-induced-two-headed-monster common perception of mutation.

Also, mutation is a creative force. It builds up the raw materials necessary for evolution. That is, it helps create genetic variety within a given population. Then, when the environment changes, that population has a better chance of survival, as some of its members may possess traits better adapted to the changing environment.

Natural selection is a sculpting process. It takes away that which is detrimental to survival. It doesn't select for the best-adapted (not fittest -- adapted); it strips away the least adapted. In practice, it amounts to the same thing, mostly, but it's a subtle distinction that leads to many assumptions, such as the ones you demonstrate.

By selecting out those least adapted (again, not "fittest" ), many traits may exist that give the population no distinct advantage, as long as those traits don't create a disadvantage. Your assumption in point #2 is incorrect, as stated. Abstract thought does give us an advantage. But even if it didn't, there's no selection pressure against it. And so it would survive, assuming an otherwise-well-adapted population.

Good shot, though. I've seen this argument (expressed in various ways) many times, but yours is probably the most concisely-stated. And, I love arguments posed in syllogism form.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198

dmar198 wrote:

Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival.

But it seems to make us the most competetively successful species outside of insects and bacteria. Coincidence? Or is our evident and obvious success at survival not enough evidence that abstract information helps us to survive?

Since that's the crux of your argument, I call shenanigans.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
lifewhispers wrote:Apart

lifewhispers wrote:
Apart from the obviously fallacious nature of your reasoning(making arbitrary and unsupported presuppositions, non-sequiturs, and the like)
I would appreciate a concrete example of an uncommon assumption and a non-sequiter from my argument, please. It is not enough simply to say that there is one. 
Quote:
[Your argument] is all laid to waste by the following:

That we have the capacity of abstract thought is a part of our physiological makeup; which, has been dictated by the intelligent process of evolution, as expressed in our DNA.

This does destroy my argument, if it proves true. But I see no evidence of its truth.
Quote:
While evolution is an intelligent process, it is also a NATURAL process, not supernatural.  It started out simple and has increased in complexity over billions of years.  Evolution is constantly in the process of adapting life in infinitely varying ways in accordance with changes in the circumstances and surroundings of the life it governs.
Agreed.
Quote:
the capability of abstract thought is just an evolutionary experiment.  If it fails to help us to survive, it will have failed as a survival mechanism and may never be repeated, again.  Or, it may be repeated with improvements. 
I think you use the word "experiment" too loosely here. Experimentation itself seems to apply the abstraction capacity; experimentation presupposes hypotheses on possible outcomes, something which the evolutionary process is incapable of.
Quote:
None of this requires anything outside of the natural Universe
If the evolutionary process includes experimentation as I represented it, then it does indeed. Can a mindless selection process really perform experiments?
Quote:
Your first task, is to be able to demonstrate the existence of [the supernatural]
 That's what this is -- an argument for supernatural existence.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline

dmar198 wrote:

First of all, I'd like to challenge your presupposition "Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival." This is just flat-out false. When talking of Natural Selection, we must not forget that an organism's environment also includes other organisms. Humans in particular have the trait of living in groups. Humans are capable of communicating with one another. We also have the ability to abstractly determine the motivations of others, particularly of other animals.

Now, let's imagine the survival benefits of being able to think abstractly. If you're able to determine the motivations, (the "why&quotEye-wink of competing animals, you'll be more likely to predict their behavior. "Why does that lion stalk in the grass and wait cautiously before scavenging that carcass? Because it wants to make sure there are no other animals around. Therefore, if we make a lot of noise, the lion might think there is another animal around, and it will run away, leaving the carcass for ourselves!"

This sort of abstract thinking has immediate survival benefits for any individual possessing it. Furthermore, the benefits extend to secondary, social-based advantages. Having the knowledge of why a particular group dynamic works the way it does, the motivations of others, the ideological basis for fighting between groups, leads to vastly improved survival for individuals within a dynamic group. Abstract thinkers in a small group of hunter-gatherers would be more likely to prepare for conflict, would be better at directing and leading, and most importantly, would be more likely to find mates, thus passing on their genes.

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:It seems

nigelTheBold wrote:
It seems that other members of the ape family also have the ability of abstract thought, though not to the degree nor sophistication of humans.

Can you give an example both of an ape that demonstrates the abstraction capacity and a concrete example of such a demonstration? It is not enough simply to say that there is one.

Quote:
Cetaceans, for example, seem to have a fair capacity.

Some whales demonstrate a capacity to understand artistic endeavors, which are certainly abstract, that is true. But the abstraction capacity as I defined it also includes the application of such knowledge, which is not something any Cetaceans does, as far as I know. Might you give a Cetacean-specific example of an application of the abstract knowledge Cetatacians are capable of perceiving? It is not enought to simply say that there is one.

nigelTheBold wrote:
dmar198 wrote:
2. Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival. ... The survival instinct is based solely on reactions to immediate stimuli.

Of course [abstract information] has a place in our natural quest for survival. Our ability to reason abstractly allows us to plan for the future, whether ten minutes from now, or next month. The ability to reason about our observations of the natural world has a clear survival advantage.

You are speaking of abstract reasoning in response to immediate and concrete stimuli. The abstractions I am speaking of cannot be adequately classified as reasoning, but are better exemplified in artistic endeavors and philosophy. These are two non-related classifications of abstract information.

Quote:
our ability to reason let us see that if we could stand back and poke at a predator with a stick, the predator couldn't get close enough to eat us or our children. And so spears were born.

This is another example of immediate and concrete responses to stimuli; there is nothing abstract about it. 

Quote:
Our ability to reason let us see that, during a drought, other places may not be in drought. Where a "dumb" animal would just stay and starve, groups of humans would leave the afflicted area.

This is another example of immediate and concrete responses to stimuli; "dumb" animals leave droughts as well.

Quote:
Later, our reasoning let us see that we could divert water and irrigate fields even during a drought (assuming there was a source of water nearby).

This demonstrates an application of the abstraction capacity. It involves holding one idea in the head and connecting it with a seemingly unrelated (hence abstract) piece of information, then applying it in a useful manner. No known non-human is able to do that.

Quote:
we can both reason abstractly about existence of things that exists.

Here's a question: is the converse true? Does anything that exist, stimulate?

Every existent thing that I know of stimulates, but this is not to say that active stimulation is an inherent property of existence. Its simply an accident that all existent things of which I am aware exist in such close proximity to one another that interractions (and thus, extraordinary stimuli) naturally occur.

Quote:
Where in your rationality did you allow for supernatural being(s)? Why not just a supernatural abstract process?
Don't define "being" too strictly. A "being" is not necessarily animated; it is just "something that exists". So such a process would be a "being".

Aside from that, processes are means by which one entity accomplishes a certain end. If the supernatural being which gave us our abstraction capacity is a mere process, that presupposes some entity that gave the process the specific purpose of giving us the abstraction capacity. In other words, it presupposes some entity that "wanted" us to be able to think about that entity.

Quote:
There are many forces at work in evolution. The two best-known are "mutation" and "natural selection." They are also two of the most misunderstood, and I think you exhibit some of the symptoms of that misunderstanding.

I think not, but you forgot "genetic drift", which is more useful to the evolutionary process than even mutations.

Quote:
First, "mutation" doesn't mean a sudden change. It just means change. The source of mutation is not always chaotic, either. For instance, cross-species recombination via viral interaction has been observed. It might even be that viruses are one of the important driving forces of mutation. This goes against the whole radiation-induced-two-headed-monster common perception of mutation.

All in agreement. I am somewhat estute in the process of evolution, I think; at least I do not hold any of the common naive misconceptions.

Quote:
mutation is a creative force. It builds up the raw materials necessary for evolution. That is, it helps create genetic variety within a given population. Then, when the environment changes, that population has a better chance of survival, as some of its members may possess traits better adapted to the changing environment.

No disagreements.

Quote:
Natural selection is a sculpting process. It takes away that which is detrimental to survival. It doesn't select for the best-adapted (not fittest -- adapted); it strips away the least adapted. In practice, it amounts to the same thing, mostly, but it's a subtle distinction that leads to many assumptions, such as the ones you demonstrate.

Nevertheless "fittest" can be defined simply as the best adapted for a given scenario. Thus what "fit" connotates can change with the environment, and so the natural selection process can be appropriately said to push the "survival of the fittest".

Quote:
By selecting out those least adapted, many traits may exist that give the population no distinct advantage, as long as those traits don't create a disadvantage. ...if [the abstraction capacity] didn't [give us a survival advantage], there's no selection pressure against it. And so it would survive, assuming an otherwise-well-adapted population.

This is true. I said in my argument that, since natural survival could be discounted, there can only be two sources of the abstraction capacity: some other natural quest or supernature, and then ruled out other natural quests. But I forgot about chance; that is a natural process that can result in the functional development of those it affects. This could even be in the form of genetic mutation, and thus our abstraction capacity could indeed be accomplished by the evolutionary process, though it would be very unlikely.

This would be like humans gradually developing into the dominant species, and then randomly getting the capacity to keep it that way effectively. One might confuse such an event even for divine intervention, it would be so fortunate and unlikely.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:I think you

dmar198 wrote:

I think you use the word "experiment" too loosely here. Experimentation itself seems to apply the abstraction capacity; experimentation presupposes hypotheses on possible outcomes, something which the evolutionary process is incapable of.

I think what he means to say is that what we consider "abstract thinking" is actually a byproduct of other systems favored by natural selection. Remember that even if a particular trait is not directly selected, other traits that it is linked to might be selected. If a trait has no positive or negative impact on an organism, it still might be selected because it is a byproduct of another important trait. Otherwise, we can be sure it would disappear through genetic drift and random mutation.

Thinking about the grand "whys" of nature might actually be a byproduct of the very important trait of being able to think about the simple "whys" of human and animal motivation, which would have been critical to our survival in the past.

EDIT: and I should say that recent neurological evidence supports this. Humans have special neurons in the prefrontal cortex called "mirror neurons" which fire in response to the actions of others as if we were doing them ourselves. Mirror neurons are found in apes as well, but in limited quantity. Autistic people also have inactivated mirror neurons, which makes them incapable of empathizing with others, and also, curiously, thinking abstractly about situations.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:First of

theotherguy wrote:

First of all, I'd like to challenge your presupposition "Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival." This is just flat-out false. When talking of Natural Selection, we must not forget that an organism's environment also includes other organisms. Humans in particular have the trait of living in groups. Humans are capable of communicating with one another. We also have the ability to abstractly determine the motivations of others, particularly of other animals.

Now, let's imagine the survival benefits of being able to think abstractly. If you're able to determine the motivations, (the "why" ) of competing animals, you'll be more likely to predict their behavior. "Why does that lion stalk in the grass and wait cautiously before scavenging that carcass? Because it wants to make sure there are no other animals around. Therefore, if we make a lot of noise, the lion might think there is another animal around, and it will run away, leaving the carcass for ourselves!"

This sort of abstract thinking has immediate survival benefits for any individual possessing it. Furthermore, the benefits extend to secondary, social-based advantages. Having the knowledge of why a particular group dynamic works the way it does, the motivations of others, the ideological basis for fighting between groups, leads to vastly improved survival for individuals within a dynamic group. Abstract thinkers in a small group of hunter-gatherers would be more likely to prepare for conflict, would be better at directing and leading, and most importantly, would be more likely to find mates, thus passing on their genes.

Dude, I am so going to steal this. Your explanation is much  clearer and more visceral than my stupid drought example.

Uh, dmar198? Just pretend I wrote this in my example, instead of the stupid drought thing. kthnx. (I slay me.)

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:[The

HisWillness wrote:
[The abstraction capacity] seems to make us the most competetively successful species outside of insects and bacteria. [Is this] not enough evidence that abstract information helps us to survive?

Since that's the crux of your argument, I call shenanigans.

Your argument starts from our present condition, particularly with our abstraction capacity, and then works backward to say that the abstraction capacity must have gotten here from the survival-based evolutionary process. You assumed that the abstraction capacity must have come from evolution, then from that assumption you deny that it happened any other way.

But that is the very principle I am contesting. You cannot assume that the abstraction capacity is a product of evolution as your premise, and then rationally argue from that premise, because it is precisely here that that premise is not commonly held.

Your argument thus depends on two logical fallacies: presupposed assumptions and circular reasoning. We can safely discount it. Please let's discuss this rationally.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:Quote:Later,

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
Later, our reasoning let us see that we could divert water and irrigate fields even during a drought (assuming there was a source of water nearby).

This demonstrates an application of the abstraction capacity. It involves holding one idea in the head and connecting it with a seemingly unrelated (hence abstract) piece of information, then applying it in a useful manner. No known non-human is able to do that.

Please demonstrate that other primates' tool use does not qualify. Also demonstrate that sea otters' use of environmental tools, such as using rocks to open mollusk shells, also does not constitute similar 'abstraction'.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:I'd like

theotherguy wrote:
I'd like to challenge your presupposition "Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival." This is just flat-out false. When talking of Natural Selection, we must not forget that an organism's environment also includes other organisms. Humans in particular have the trait of living in groups. Humans are capable of communicating with one another. We also have the ability to abstractly determine the motivations of others, particularly of other animals.

Don't confuse abstract reasoning with applications of abstract information. Communication is an application; it serves a purpose, specifically (in Humans) of relaying pieces of information to others who can apply them. It presupposes the abstraction capacity in those who the information is communicated to. No one expects dogs, for example, who do not have the abstraction capacity, to help think of a solution to a problem. 

Determining motivations is an application of immediate (non-abstract) information. 

Quote:
Now, let's imagine the survival benefits of being able to think abstractly. If you're able to determine the motivations, (the "why&quotEye-wink of competing animals, you'll be more likely to predict their behavior. "Why does that lion stalk in the grass and wait cautiously before scavenging that carcass? Because it wants to make sure there are no other animals around. Therefore, if we make a lot of noise, the lion might think there is another animal around, and it will run away, leaving the carcass for ourselves!"

See how this thought process is meant to determine the motivations of an animal that is directly, immediately, and concretely stimulating the thinker? The thinker sees a problem and works out the solution only from the information he can gather from the animal in question. There is no thinking of two apparently abstract (or unrelated) pieces of information and finding a way to connect and apply them. Thus, it is not a demonstration of the abstraction capacity. Even the lesser animals are able to do these basic kinds of determinations.

Quote:
This sort of abstract thinking has immediate survival benefits for any individual possessing it.

See how you are talking about immediate, concrete benefits? There is nothing abstract about this.

Quote:
Furthermore, the benefits extend to secondary, social-based advantages. Having the knowledge of why a particular group dynamic works the way it does, the motivations of others, the ideological basis for fighting between groups, leads to vastly improved survival for individuals within a dynamic group. Abstract thinkers in a small group of hunter-gatherers would be more likely to prepare for conflict, would be better at directing and leading, and most importantly, would be more likely to find mates, thus passing on their genes.

Agreed, but you are still speaking of immediate and concrete examples. This is not abstract.

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:I think

theotherguy wrote:
I think what he means to say is that what we consider "abstract thinking" is actually a byproduct of other systems favored by natural selection.

That would clear up his meaning. 

Quote:
Remember that even if a particular trait is not directly selected, other traits that it is linked to might be selected. If a trait has no positive or negative impact on an organism, it still might be selected because it is a byproduct of another important trait. Otherwise, we can be sure it would disappear through genetic drift and random mutation.

Like that mutation piggybacked on another one. The abstraction capacity might be a byproduct of our ability to determine motivations, because they are so closely related. Then when determining motivation became so advantageous, there was no chance that the abstraction capacity was going to leave.

This would answer my charge, if there is any evidence for it. But then, we would also have to find the gene that triggers our abstraction capacity and see what it is tied to. We haven't really found it yet.

Quote:
Thinking about the grand "whys" of nature might actually be a byproduct of the very important trait of being able to think about the simple "whys" of human and animal motivation, which would have been critical to our survival in the past.

Wow, we're really on the same page. I just said the same thing a few seconds ago.

Quote:
I should say that recent neurological evidence supports this. Humans have special neurons in the prefrontal cortex called "mirror neurons" which fire in response to the actions of others as if we were doing them ourselves. Mirror neurons are found in apes as well, but in limited quantity. Autistic people also have inactivated mirror neurons, which makes them incapable of empathizing with others, and also, curiously, thinking abstractly about situations.

Very good work. Shall we call this case closed?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:nigelTheBold

dmar198 wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
It seems that other members of the ape family also have the ability of abstract thought, though not to the degree nor sophistication of humans.

Can you give an example both of an ape that demonstrates the abstraction capacity and a concrete example of such a demonstration? It is not enough simply to say that there is one.

One that I have heard about is Koko the signing gorilla. www.koko.org

Try this link to see an example of her abilitites:  http://www.koko.org/world/journal.phtml?offset=20

This could be either abstract thought or an excellent memory with a fairly high IQ. She has also done an internet chat a few years ago. Reportly her IQ tests over 84.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:dmar198

BMcD wrote:
dmar198 wrote:
Quote:

Please demonstrate that other primates' tool use does not qualify [as an example of another animal demonstrating the abstraction capacity]. Also demonstrate that sea otters' use of environmental tools, such as using rocks to open mollusk shells, also does not constitute similar 'abstraction'.

Non-human primates and sea otters use tools, but they don't think of a tool which's purpose meets their needs and then construct them accordingly. They might pick up a stick and put it into an anthill, but that's about as complicated as it gets. It shows an interrelation of cause and effect, of saying, "Hey, X gets me Y, I'll use X more often." They don't say, "X is what I need to get Y, this is how I can make X, so I'm off to make it".

The closest you get to the last in non-humans is the nest of birds. They need a nest to hold their eggs, they know instinctively how to make a nest, and so they make it.

dmar198
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
dmar198 wrote:

One that I have heard about is Koko the signing gorilla. www.koko.org

Try this link to see an example of her abilitites:  http://www.koko.org/world/journal.phtml?offset=20

This could be either abstract thought or an excellent memory with a fairly high IQ. She has also done an internet chat a few years ago. Reportly her IQ tests over 84.

Koko obviously has a soul, is a sinner, and is on his way to Hell. I must go immediately to see whether he might be receptive to religion.

Lol. I have no answer.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:Koko obviously

dmar198 wrote:

Koko obviously has a soul, is a sinner, and is on his way to Hell. I must go immediately to see whether he might be receptive to religion.

Lol. I have no answer.

That should keep you busy for awhile.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198

dmar198 wrote:
You assumed that the abstraction capacity must have come from evolution

Oh right, I forgot that the fact of evolution is just an "assumption" when discussing biology. Y'know, like when you work on antibiotics, or breeding, or do anything actually in the field of biology. Metaphysics has produced so many more cures, therapies, and medical policies than the evolutionary understanding of biology that I sometimes accidentally ascribe to evolution the pre-eminent status of Theory. I'll be more careful next time. Only I didn't even mention evolution at all.

You stated that our capacity for abstraction had nothing to do with our survival. I would say you meant that presently. I said we are CURRENTLY the most successful species at surviving PRESENTLY. If you're going to attack something, the weakness there is the correlation/causality part. I'm giving you correlation, but not necessarily causality. At least attack the real weakness in the argument. I handed it to you.

dmar198 wrote:
Your argument thus depends on two logical fallacies: presupposed assumptions and circular reasoning. We can safely discount it. Please let's discuss this rationally.

You have to be kidding. Let's take your hypothetical world that doesn't involve facts, and manipulate statements about it? Why is that rational? Should I discount my understanding of electrons when discussing chemistry, too?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:Can you give

dmar198 wrote:

How about doing math? Communicating using sign language with other members of their species?

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/dec/orangutan/011219.orangutan.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060902/bob10.asp

These are just lay reports of specific research, but I'm sure you can find your way from there. (Yes, I know. You are referring to abstract application of concrete knowledge to a new domain. But your original statement was, "The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts." And using communication is an application of an abstract concept. That's the statement to which I replied.)

dmar198 wrote:

You are speaking of abstract reasoning in response to immediate and concrete stimuli. The abstractions I am speaking of cannot be adequately classified as reasoning, but are better exemplified in artistic endeavors and philosophy. These are two non-related classifications of abstract information.

Ah! I didn't get that from your original statement. I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Artistic endeavours appear to be an offshoot of communication and social interaction, all of which have survival benefits. Early music helped with group cohesion and bonding. Early art celebrated the skills needed for survival (hunting, specifically). Cave art may not have directly affected survival, but it was a direct response to the skills and reasoning required for a successful hunt.

Organized philosophy came about as we had more leisure time. It was used as our evolved curiosity (which is a positively selectable trait) had time, energy, and stimuli to push it to more and more abstract thinking. No external, supernatural force required. Just Socrates orating about a specific position. They'd go home, hone their skills, come back the next day prepared to tackle Socrates and his ill-thought position. Then when they got there, Socrates'd be taking the exact opposite position.

That actually makes philosophy a selectable trait. The reputation as a thoughtful cranky old man had an affect on status. So, there's your selection pressure for our ability to spout logical nonsense.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
our ability to reason let us see that if we could stand back and poke at a predator with a stick, the predator couldn't get close enough to eat us or our children. And so spears were born.

This is another example of immediate and concrete responses to stimuli; there is nothing abstract about it.

I heartily disagree. Tool use is an abstract process. It might not be extremely abstract, but it is abstract. I was merely demonstrating in a casual fashion that even the simplest of abstract thoughts leads to a survival advantage. I used this to set up increasingly-abstract examples.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
Our ability to reason let us see that, during a drought, other places may not be in drought. Where a "dumb" animal would just stay and starve, groups of humans would leave the afflicted area.

This is another example of immediate and concrete responses to stimuli; "dumb" animals leave droughts as well.

In this example, I was trying to demonstrate that an abstract model of reality would be a survival trait. Understanding that this one place was in drought, but other known places might not be, is abstract thought, and is therefore selectable. I apologize. I wasn't very clear on that.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:

As I said, I was just refuting what I thought you meant, which was that man is the only creature capable of abstract thought, which has been proven untrue. You didn't say (though you might have meant) that humans are the only animals capable of creative application of abstract thought.

None of it matters, though, as your core thesis doesn't depend on humanity's uniqueness.

Also, your absolute statement, "No known non-human is able to do that" is potentially false. A better statement is, "No known non-human is known to be able to do that." It's an important distinction.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
we can both reason abstractly about existence of things that exists.

Here's a question: is the converse true? Does anything that exist, stimulate?

Every existent thing that I know of stimulates, but this is not to say that active stimulation is an inherent property of existence. Its simply an accident that all existent things of which I am aware exist in such close proximity to one another that interractions (and thus, extraordinary stimuli) naturally occur.

Thanks for the explication. I really do appreciate it. I like to understand the person with whom I am holding a discussion.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
Where in your rationality did you allow for supernatural being(s)? Why not just a supernatural abstract process?
Don't define "being" too strictly. A "being" is not necessarily animated; it is just "something that exists". So such a process would be a "being".

Ah. I just read more into "being," as we tend to use it colloquially as a synonym for "sapient individual." Especially in the UFO cult to which I belong.

dmar198 wrote:

Aside from that, processes are means by which one entity accomplishes a certain end. If the supernatural being which gave us our abstraction capacity is a mere process, that presupposes some entity that gave the process the specific purpose of giving us the abstraction capacity. In other words, it presupposes some entity that "wanted" us to be able to think about that entity.

You are merely invoking the Kalam Cosmological Principle, which is essentially Aquinas's First Mover gussied up for the information age. This has been demonstrated as a logical fallacy many times.

If this is the root of your argument, please let me know. I don't want to debate about the evolutionary selective pressure on abstract thinking if all you are going to do is resort to the First Mover argument. We'll be talking at cross-purposes, and achieve nothing.

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
There are many forces at work in evolution. The two best-known are "mutation" and "natural selection." They are also two of the most misunderstood, and I

think you exhibit some of the symptoms of that misunderstanding.

I think not, but you forgot "genetic drift", which is more useful to the evolutionary process than even mutations.

I didn't forget it. I just didn't know how much you really knew about evolutary processes. (I obliquely referred to it in the mention of genetic diversity in a population.) Your argument hinted that you knew almost nothing, so that was my initial supposition. I apologize for tossing you in with all the intellectual lunkheads who support intelligent design because "my diddy wasn't no monkey!"

dmar198 wrote:

Quote:
By selecting out those least adapted, many traits may exist that give the population no distinct advantage, as long as those traits don't create a disadvantage. ...if [the abstraction capacity] didn't [give us a survival advantage], there's no selection pressure against it. And so it would survive, assuming an otherwise-well-adapted population.

This is true. I said in my argument that, since natural survival could be discounted, there can only be two sources of the abstraction capacity: some other natural quest or supernature, and then ruled out other natural quests. But I forgot about chance; that is a natural process that can result in the functional development of those it affects. This could even be in the form of genetic mutation, and thus our abstraction capacity could indeed be accomplished by the evolutionary process, though it would be very unlikely.

This would be like humans gradually developing into the dominant species, and then randomly getting the capacity to keep it that way effectively. One might confuse such an event even for divine intervention, it would be so fortunate and unlikely.

Yes, but has been demonstrated, abstract thought is postively selectable. It is perhaps the single most selectable traight among all possible traits, as it is adaptable to almost any environmental shift. Your assertion that natural survival can be discounted as a selection mechanism is not founded in any kind of rational observation.

Our ability to think rationally is selectable. The fact that we also use that ability to create art, or think about mathematics, or argue the ontological necessity of God is part-and-parcel with our ability to reason. Creativity is a selectable trait -- a creative person is more likely to survive than a non-creative person of equal intelligence.  The ability to measure things abstractly is a selectable trait: a leader who is able to estimate the size of an opposing force is better able to judge whether to attack or to flee. A leader who is able to judge if enough stores have been laid in for the winter is more likely to see his group survive to see the next year.

Now, us being able to discuss the ontological necessity of God: that's probably a by-product of our natural curiosity and skepticism. Our minds are general information processing machines (and I use "machines" in the most-modern, least-deterministic way possible). The fact that we can think abstractly about almost anything, real or imaginary, is fairly unique (so far) in our observed experience.

However, evolution is more than sufficient to explain our intelligence, and ability at abstract thought.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote: The human

dmar198 wrote:

The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts.

I don't know if that's true.

dmar198 wrote:

This capability I call the "abstraction capacity". Particularly, it refers to the search for meaning -- the why -- that underlies information.

This is an arbitrary and self-serving limitation on the concept. An abstract concept can be understood without explicitly wondering why something is. I'm guessing the introduced the "why" to prime the pump for some awful religious garbage.

dmar198 wrote:

(That is, it particularly refers to the religious quest.)

LOL. I didn't read this in advance, I swear.

dmar198 wrote:

Also, it refers to the tendency to inquire about the nature of existence, which may lead (for example) to the discovery of basic principles such as the Law of Contradiction.

Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival.

Your straw-man version of humanity arbitrarily excludes it, is what I'm getting from this.

dmar198 wrote:

The survival instinct is based solely on reactions to immediate stimuli. To say the same thing another way, there exists nothing in the natural order which can challenge our quest for survival in any abstract way, whether directly or indirectly.

A straw-man again. It's not necessary that it be a "reaction" to immediate stimuli, as you assert nakedly, but that its presence (having come about through demonstrated principles like random mutation) provided more of a survival and breeding advantage than not.

dmar198 wrote:

[repetition of the same assertion two more times]

To say the same thing another way, the abstraction capacity must be the result either of supernatural stimulus/stimuli or of some natural quest other than survival.

This is a bifurcation fallacy. You have no evidence for the supernatural (by definition, I don't see how supernatural evidence could exist and remain "super" natural), so you straw-man one position, and arbitrarily present another as the only other option.

dmar198 wrote:

[more repetition]

It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s).

LOL. Not even close.

lifewhispers
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:lifewhispers

lifewhispers wrote:
Apart from the obviously fallacious nature of your reasoning(making arbitrary and unsupported presuppositions, non-sequiturs, and the like)

dmar198 wrote:

I would appreciate a concrete example of an uncommon assumption and a non-sequiter from my argument, please. It is not enough simply to say that there is one.

Unsupported Presupposition = "The human alone of all known life-forms has a brain capable of perceiving and applying abstract concepts."

Unsupported Presupposition = "Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival."

I am unconcerned with "uncommon assumptions."  That is an ad populum argument - only, in reverse (it's fallacious merely because they are "uncommon assumptions" is an invalid argument).

Furthermore:

Non-sequitur ="It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s)."

It is non-sequitur; because, the previous  premises are not valid; and, even if they were valid, your automatic assumption of the supernatural being isn't the logical conclusion.

Quote:
[Your argument] is all laid to waste by the following:

dmar198 wrote:

This does destroy my argument, if it proves true. But I see no evidence of its truth.

Then, you are not looking.  There is no lack of consensus on evolution being an intelligent process (although, there is disagreement with regard to its consciousness).  Unless, you can demonstrate:

A - That evolution is a non-intelligent process, incapable of producing abstract thought.

and,

B - That abstract thought came from a different source than DNA.

Quote:

dmar198 wrote:

Agreed.

Quote:
the capability of abstract thought is just an evolutionary experiment.  If it fails to help us to survive, it will have failed as a survival mechanism and may never be repeated, again.  Or, it may be repeated with improvements. 

dmar198 wrote:

But, that's not true.  In practical application, the failed experiments are eliminated, leaving only the successful experiments.  And, it is fair to call it experimentation.  To wit:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

ex·per·i·ment       (ĭk-spěr'ə-mənt)  Pronunciation Key 
n.  
    1. A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.
    2. The process of conducting such a test; experimentation.
  1. An innovative act or procedure: "Democracy is only an experiment in government" (William Ralph Inge).
  2. The result of experimentation: "We are not [nature's] only experiment" (R. Buckminster Fuller).

Evolution demonstrates  "innovative acts or procedures" in accordance with definition 2, above.  And, even definition 3 uses experimentation in the exact same context as I have used it.

Quote:
None of this requires anything outside of the natural Universe

dmar198 wrote:

If the evolutionary process includes experimentation as I represented it, then it does indeed.

Why?  And, how do you establish that the way you represented it is correct and tenable?

dmar198 wrote:

Can a mindless selection process really perform experiments?

Of course, as I demonstrated, above. 

Quote:
Your first task, is to be able to demonstrate the existence of [the supernatural]

dmar198 wrote:

That's what this is -- an argument for supernatural existence.

Well, it failed.

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline

dmar198 wrote:

Chimpanzees are capable of abstract thought....

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198, please watch this

dmar198, please watch this brilliant video, and be sure to read the description on the right hand side of the page (click the 'more' link), which includes several links to videos about chimps that will clearly illustrate the fallacy of assuming that humans are the only animals with abstraction capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8OQrgL6RQ

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:dmar198,

natural wrote:

dmar198, please watch this brilliant video, and be sure to read the description on the right hand side of the page (click the 'more' link), which includes several links to videos about chimps that will clearly illustrate the fallacy of assuming that humans are the only animals with abstraction capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8OQrgL6RQ

i watched both vids. the one with the mom is seriously depressing, and the one made by the atheist is awesome. i think dmar198 is suffering from the same condition as the mother in the video...that of not reading a single good book on evolution and being completely o.k. with that.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:Non-human

dmar198 wrote:

Non-human primates and sea otters use tools, but they don't think of a tool which's purpose meets their needs and then construct them accordingly. They might pick up a stick and put it into an anthill, but that's about as complicated as it gets. It shows an interrelation of cause and effect, of saying, "Hey, X gets me Y, I'll use X more often." They don't say, "X is what I need to get Y, this is how I can make X, so I'm off to make it".

The closest you get to the last in non-humans is the nest of birds. They need a nest to hold their eggs, they know instinctively how to make a nest, and so they make it.

Actually, not so. For example:

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0030380&ct=1

Note that while the first gorilla, Leah, does not remove the branch from the tree, she does first foray into the water without it, then returns and uses the stick to test water depths. The idea that she can compare the length of the stick (which has not been out of the water) against her own body in unknown water depth is an abstract construct derived from knowing how much of the stick is out of the water when compared to her own body in known water depth.

In the second case, the very idea that branches underfoot can help support the animal's weight across swampy ground can be viewed as an abstraction. If the branch had already been in place, it might be seen as simply choosing firmer footing, but the abstraction lies in the 'I can create firmer footing', or 'this does not have to be this hard'. The recognition of potential is, after all, abstract reasoning.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote: Can you give

dmar198 wrote:

Pick up a copy of this month's National Geographic. Read the cover story. It's not just humans and apes who have a capacity for abstract thought.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
dmar198 wrote:The human

dmar198 wrote:

Are you sure that only humans can apply abstract concepts? Are you sure that only humans can inquire about the nature of existence? Why is it that almost all animals are aware enough of their own mortality that they are able to go off alone and choose deathbeds, often hidden and out of the way? With some animals, the other members of the group will hide the body of any of their fellow creatures if they die out in the open, or if they died some time ago, they will distribute the bones of the skeleton. Humans are no different. We hide bodies, too. We bury them.

Are you sure we're the only creatures that understand existence? Or are you just being speciesist?

Quote:

1. Abstract information has no place in our natural quest for survival.

There are plenty of ways abstract thought could help survival, and some of the other members have touched on them; but our specific methods of abstract though, seen in philosophical discussions and the like, are no doubt assisted by language, which is not at all incompatible with evolutionary advantage.

Many animals communicate with each other via a series of calls. Some birds have specific calls for warning their fellow birds about specific animals that are approaching. For example, one cry means "cheetah" or another "hawk". In that sense, we might even say that they have "words". Just as a child can say a single word, "juice", to mean a variety of things---"I want some juice", "that person is drinking juice", "that is where the juice is kept", "I spilled juice on myself", etc---a bird might use a single call in the same way.

More interestingly, some birds have been documented as telling lies. They will falsely call out the alarm for a certain animal so that the other birds fly away, and then they will attempt to horde the food. Is this not abstract thinking? How did they plan such a thing ahead of time with their small bird brains? It gets more interesting. Such liars are often caught, and they are not treated kindly. Do birds have an abstract concept of "justice"?

There are other birds who pretend to be injured and flop around on the ground making all kinds of noise, acting as if their wing is broken, and making a commotion whenever a predator is near their nest. They know that predators will prey on easy food, so they attempt to divert attention from the helpless chicks by being MORE helpless.

Or what about birds that hide their food? Food-hiding birds are aware that their peers are also hiders of food. To prevent mooching, these birds will find a series of hiding places and then rotate their stores!

And this is just talking of birds. I can think of other examples. What about rabbits? You may have seen on the discovery channel, or perhaps in real life, that when a predator (or you yourself) approaches a rabbit, the rabbit will often stand tall out of the grass and poke up its ears. Why does it do this? Wouldn't the rabbit want to assure that it remains unseen? Yes, and before they stand up, they are generally trying to do just that. But when they stand up as tall as they possibly can this way, it is because they are signaling that they have seen you, and they are not afraid, because they know that they can outrun you. This may sound silly, but it actually works. Predators can't be bothered with chasing around a single rabbit all day when they could conserve energy by sneaking up on something easier. So when rabbits bravely stand tall and send their "nice try" signal, predators will often seek food elsewhere.

Is none of this abstract thinking? Does none of it have survival value?

Humans have their own ways of communicating. We have body language (most animals do), but we also have facial language. The only other animals on the planet that come close to matching our face system are the chimpanzees. Like us, they all have very different and very distinct faces that are capable of making a broad range of expressions. (Other monkeys are pretty good at this, but chimpanzees take the cake.)

Humans are very unique in their vocal communication skills, though. We are social animals and often work together to accomplish specific goals. In the stone age, we banded together to hunt mastadons. In 2008, we band together to expand the range of information available on Wikipedia. (Or to debate the god question on an internet forum!)

Complex communication skills would be VERY helpful to such an arrangement. There is a big difference between saying, "We can reach the mastadon by following the trail in front of that big tree," and saying, "We can reach the mastadon by following the trail that big tree is in front of." Our need to communicate and to understand each other has no doubt helped our intelligence---abstraction not excluded.

It's true that the physiology needed for human communication is very unique and doesn't seem to appear elsewhere in nature, but we can say the same thing about the trunk of an elephant, the exploding mixture fired from the ass of a bombardier beetle, or the glowing lantern dangling from the face of a deep-sea angler fish.

We are only fascinated by our unique qualities because we are us. If we were elephants, we would be more fascinated by trunks.

Quote:

1. It follows from these that the abstraction capacity can neither be a direct nor indirect result of our natural quest for survival.

To wit: the answer to the question "Why do we ask why?" can be found neither immediately nor ultimately in our natural quest for survival.

The need to convey increasingly complex ideas to peers.

We have seen in many tribal societies leaders that are polygamous and that are skilled orators. It's not hard to extrapolate that language may be to us what flamboyant feathers are to a peacock.

(Read: Sexy.)

Note: Most of my responses are coming at you from a linguistic angle, which is not the only possible response to some of your assertions; however, the point is that your assertions only work if supernaturalism is the only conceivable solution to some of these questions. By offering you other conceivable explanations (which I'm pulling from books and not making up for fun), I am showing that supernaturalism is not the only conceivable answer to these questions. In fact, it is arguably the least conceivable of many possible answers.

Quote:

1. The abstraction capacity is not the result of some natural quest(s) other than survival.

Since we have not established that abstraction has no survival benefits, we can ignore this for now.

Quote:

1. Anything which stimulates, exists.

2. It follows from these that the ultimate source(s) of the abstraction capacity is/are (a) supernatural being(s).

The source of the abstraction capacity could easily be found in ourselves, since most abstraction is nothing more than increasing levels of generality.

"Georgette" is the name of a specific dog.

"Poodle" is a more general term that encompasses Georgette.

"Dog" is a more general term that encompasses all of the above.

"Canine" is a more general term that encompasses all of the above.

"Mammal" is a more general term that encompasses all of the above.

"Animal" is a more general term that encompasses all of the above.

The word "animal" is an abstraction. It means something we clearly understand, but it can only be defined by what it includes or what it is not. "Animal" does not have a specific reference at all, unlike the word "Georgette".

We can say the same thing about "Dog". It does not have a specific referent, but its definition includes less things and excludes more things than does "animal".

You could say that this communication skill is a product of our complex abstract though, but that would be a presupposition. Our complex abstract thought could just as easily be a skill that has been continually refined by language and increasingly complex human culture.

Again, this is not the only possible response, but since your entire argument depends on a supernatural source being the only possible explanation, any other possible explanation validly refutes it.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.