Are there any philosophy students/graduates on here that can help?

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are there any philosophy students/graduates on here that can help?

I'm a rookie to philosophy, but I've taken a few intro courses and have been reading a lot. I'm trying to find some students/graduates not only to talk to about philosophy in general, but I need some input on these two different schools I am considering.

Anyone interested in helping?

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go ahead.

Go ahead.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey deludedgod, thanks for

Hey deludedgod, thanks for the help.

Well for starters I'm just trying to get through this dilemma I am in with choosing colleges. I am orginally from Buffalo, New York but moved here last summer to Eugene, Oregon. I'm not going to stay here after the next semester. My dilemma is either moving up to Portland, here in Oregon, or moving back to New York for school.

Portland is a much more exciting city, and Portland State University's philosophy program looks much better than the University at Buffalo's, but I'm really not sure because I'm still so new to philosophy.

Can you give me your opinion/first impression of the different courses offered at:

Portland State University-
http://www.philosophy.pdx.edu/courses/

and University at Buffalo-
http://www.philosophy.buffalo.edu/courses/undergraduate/fall/

I know I really should be looking much more into it on my own (I'm visiting Portland again in a week to look at it), but I really want to get an opinion from someone who has already studied philosophy or has an understanding. The only thing that bothers me about Portland is that it is a bit costy. If I move back home to Buffalo it would be much more comfortable, though it appears I could get so much more out of living in Portland and going to school there.

Other than that, I've just been reading some philosophy and taking a look at different philosophers/ideas. I've been trying to prepare myself ahead of time to have more skills before taking all of my classes. I'm reading Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosophy and some others like Nietzsche. I'm reading a bit on critical thinking and logic too. I've also already taken three intro courses: critical thinking, ethics, and knowledge and reality.

Any suggestions?

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Portland State seems to be

Portland State seems to be more of a continental philosophy school that includes some basic exposure to the analytic side (similar to the program I graduated from).  You're going to be exposed mainly to the ancients (Plato and Aristotle) and mostly 18th and 19th century European thinkers such as Nietzsche (who I see you've already read), Kierkegaard, Kant, Hegel, Sartre, Heidegger, etc. in subjects such as existentialism, phenomenology, and idealism.  To be totally honest, continental philosophy is a dying art.  It really just depends on what your long term plans are, but if you plan to get a job teaching philosophy, you're going to have a very hard time getting work with a continental background even if you study with the best of the best.

Buffalo on the other hand looks like a more common analytic school.  You're going to get exposure to the foundations of philosophy with the ancients of course (albeit with a 20th century slant), as well as Russell (who I see you've also read), Wittgenstein, Godel, Frege, Austin, and Searle in topics such as logic, language, philosophies of science and mathematics, and mind.  This is probably the route you want to take if you're interested in working in the field after you graduate.

But like I said, I'm partial to the existentialism and phenomenology of the continental tradition, but it's been impractical to say the least.  I'm doing linguistics now in an upstart grad program, so although it landed me a free Master's degree along with teaching experience, it hasn't exactly turned out the way I envisioned it. 

Either way, good luck. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, I did it again...

Shit, I did it again...

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Having attended neither of

Having attended neither of the universities mentioned, it is difficult for me to comment on them. Still, just by examining their websites, I agree with jmm. But if you are asking me which universities you think are best at philosophy, then to put points at their crudest, the British are better than the Americans, at least in terms of prestige. Whereas the Americans surely have the best scientific institutions such as CalTech, MIT, Harvey Mudd, etc, the earning of a B.Phil, which is a misnomer since it is a Master's degree, is immensely prestigious, especially at Oxford, which, again, to put points at their crudest, has a better philosophy faculty than rival Cambridge. Although that is not to say, obviously, that the Americans have not turned out some brilliant philosophers (Searle, Nozick, Dennett, Quine etc.)

If you are new to philosophy and are looking for a place to start, then I reccomend the most obvious starting point. And in philosophy, everything starts with Descartes.

Really, it depends what you are interested in, although most Enlightenment-era thinkers have written on multiple different philosophical controversies. If, for you example, you find particular interest in how humans gain knowledge and whether it is possible to do so, you must start with Descartes, then Hume on induction, Kant on transcendentalism and Berkeley on idealism. If you are interested in the nature of reality and that which you percieve, start with Spinoza on bare-order property, then Hume on bundle theory. Philosophy of mind as an area of strong research is a relatively new discipline. Start with Descartes again, even though, lacking access to modern data and tools, virtually everything he said on this matter was wrong. For modern introductions to the problems of the mind, start with Putnam on functionalism, Searle on the Chinese room, then Dennett on heterogenity, and Nozick on reality and simulation. 

Also, if you are finding it difficult to get the books by these authors or are finding it takes too long, use SEP. SEP is a good introductory resource. Never use wikipedia.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, interesting. What if

Wow, interesting.

What if I went to Portland for undergraduate, but a different school for graduate? I guess I have some research to do because I'm actually completely clueless to the differences of continental or analytic philosophy. I've never even heard of them. Can either of you explain the differences for me?

Ahh it's just hard for me to swallow because Portland seems like such an awesome city to live in. I'm leaning towards moving back to Buffalo for school but it is such a weak city.

Another thing... I'm sure both of you have heard this time and time again. What different paths/career opportunities are there for philosophy majors? People always ask right away, "oh, philosophy, what are you going to do with THAT?" And I don't really have much of an answer for that, but philosophy is something that I've been falling in love with and I have been pushing it away for far too long. I know it is what I want to major in, regardless of where it will take me. People always say that it is limited to teaching, or going to law school, but it seems like there is so much I could do with that. Research, organizations, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
And also... are the

And also... are the differences between the two, continental and analytic, mainly based off just the different writers and topics I will learn about?