Questions, interpretation of the Bible

MarcusL
User is offlineOffline
Questions, interpretation of the Bible

Hello all, I have a few a questions: 1) Are there any good arguments against holding that (simultaneously) both a literal and allegorical interpretation of Genesis, and the Bible in general, is true? 2) Are there any decent arguments for refuting and countering an argument for an allegorical Adam and Eve? 3) And a short story from a post of mine elsewhere Smiling "The situation is: I'm attending a christian conference (entertainment value, it's free), and there is a certain individual/lecturer that is introducing/teaching allegorical and figurative interpretation of the bible (genesis, but generally the rest of the old testament). The majority of the crowd, even fundamentalists are buying it. (I wouldn't be surprised if this person had ulterior motives). What can I ask the presenter to further demoralise the crowd? As in, allowing the crowd to doubt there faith even more. This is a rather large crowd, so questions should have some information to back it up that I can research ahead of time. A weblink, book, etc. I know it might sound strange...any input would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The main speaking points are adam and eve, plagues, great flood, burning bush, etc. There are also a decent number of catholics present, maybe questions undermining the scriptual basis for certain doctrines would be good?" Thank you all for your time. Marcus P.S. My apologies if this is not in the correct subforum or section.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a tough question.

This is a tough question. The presenter is clearly trying to tie the pieces of the bible that do not neatly fit with assertions that sound more plausible. I would be curious to hear the evidence for an allegorical adam and eve myself. Personally, I think there is no good counter-arguement for this. However, the burden of proof lies on the claimant. As for myself, the lineage of adam and eve does not represent an allegorical occurence. Allegories tend to stand alone, however the OT has come to depend on the "literal" interpretation based on the genelogy that it presents. If I remember correctly the lineage goes from adam to eve to Noah with no interuption. If Noah did not exist because adam and eve were allegorical there was no global flood (which there has yet to be any evidence for btw). This is just a cop out that the apologists are toying with to convince people that if science can't find evidence for an event that haapened (i.e. a global flood) you can still have faith because it's just an allegory and not a literal truth.

How can you determine if this story was true or not? I use the jack and the beanstalk analogy myself when I talk to many theists. I ask if Jack and the beanstalk was a work of fiction or a true story?  Most answer that it is clearly a fairy tale, then I ask if jack and the beanstalk were in the bible would you believe it to be true. Unfortunately most say yes they would believe it. Bias tends to twist the set of standards one uses to determine rather or not something is a literal or allegorical interpretation.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

MarcusL
User is offlineOffline
You still have a very good

You still have a very good answer regardless of whether it's a tough question. I'll work my way from there. Thanks for your response.

Marcus

P.S. Do you know of any websites that would deal with this subject?