Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Well all we have evidence for is mindless matter. But by "universal mind" you mean some all-encompassing consciousness? Does it intervene?

What constitutes evidence is subjective. For example, many physicists (some Nobel laureates) have interpreted quantum mechanics as evidence for an all pervading consciousness. 

God is persuasive, not coercive.

Appeal to authority.

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Why, just because you make the association?

Are you attempting to argue that a world soul is not some kind of God-concept?

Are you trying to argle the bargle until bagnosh arboffle? That's what your argument sounds like when you construct ad hocs from newly spawned undefined terms.

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
How is that an answer? How would you judge an "ultimate" purpose over any other? Do you mean "final"? Or like in "ulitimate frisbee"?

As in final causation.

Oh, that helps.

Paisley wrote:
The atheistic worldview is not a teleological one.

It's not a worldview, either. If you want to address anything beyond the question of whether one believes in gods, you'll have to be more specific.

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
How does the natural universe not have a rational or orderly relationship to human life? There are thousands of pages of math devoted to the orderliness of the universe. It's incredibly consistent.

What's the mathematical formula for purpose?

Is having undefined concepts as a basis meant to help your argument?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Hey god ..... can I get a

Hey god ..... can I get a double size smiley?   , and god said YES !  just Ask and you will recieve ! 

Thanks GOD,  .... That does make perfect sense !  Wow GOD, we rock , thanks ..... but I have some complaints !  I AM tired of always asking ..... can we speed this evolution up ? ..... and god answered YES again , as you so ask !       

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Once more, unto the breach!

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
Not at all. Anyone seeking to work with the scientific method must maintain an open mind. Nothing can be absolutely proven, and so we must always remain ready to discard our operational theories when they fail to conform to observations. It's the person who claims no possibility of error who has the closed mind.

I haven't had to discard my God theory yet.

Nor have I had to discard my nonbelief in the existence or nonexistence of a God. I am curious, though, if you claim this is a theory, can you please share with the class a)what predictions the theory makes, and b)how it may be tested? Theories require both; without those two factors, you're talking about a hypothesis.

Quote:

BMcD wrote:
Among others, claiming that a lack of external purpose renders life meaningless.

I said that if life is ultimately without purpose, then it is ultimately meaningless and absurd. To believe otherwise is to exercise faith.

Personally, I don't understand what you mean by "external" purpose. My purpose is to be happy. I trust that yours is the same.

Now, if the thought of eternal extinction brings happiness to your heart, then go for it. As for me, I have chosen a different route. My guess is that peddling the gospel of eternal extinction is not going to sell too well in the marketplace.

BMcD wrote:
My life isn't meaningless. I find meaning and purpose in my life by doing and seeking things that give me satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Lack of 'higher purpose' is not lack of purpose.

You will die and cease to exist. Everyone you ever loved or knew will die and cease to exist. Everything you have ever strived for or worked for will be burnt to ashes. All your suffering will be for nothing. In fact, whether you lived or not is rather moot in the vast scheme of things. I can't think of anything more meaningless or absurd.

That's exactly what I mean by external purpose. My purpose is to be happy and satisfied while I exist. When I do not exist, my purpose has no relevance, as it is my purpose. I will die and cease to exist. Everyone I ever loved or knew, everyone I will ever love and know will cease to exist. All my efforts and labors will eventually come to nothingness. These things are meaningless. That I will die is meaningless. That all will eventually come to naught is meaningless. All that has meaning to me are the events of my lifetime. Until you can prove to me that anything beyond myself exists, that all of reality isn't a delusion, then any search for anything beyond my own lifetime would be irrational.

Cogito, ergo sum. That remains the only thing I can actively believe. Everything else is simply possibilities I cannot rule out.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Is your

Eloise wrote:
Is your existence influenced by unconscious action, or your actions informed by unconscious influence?  If yes to either then intervention by consciousness not intrinsic to your ego conscious mind is a given. All one needs to do to refute universal mind is to show how the boundaries of unconsciousness exclude it.

That last part's a big jump. My existence is definitely influenced by unconscious action, and my actions are naturally "informed" by unconscious influence. But just because something is outside of my ego doesn't immediately mean "universal mind".

Eloise wrote:
There are much stronger basis for collective unconscious = God than mere association.

Enlighten me.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:What

Paisley wrote:
What constitutes evidence is subjective.

No. That's just being unreasonable. What constitutes evidence is consistent results from repeated observation (direct or indirect).

Paisley wrote:
For example, many physicists (some Nobel laureates) have interpreted quantum mechanics as evidence for an all pervading consciousness.

Speculation is subjective. Maybe you were thinking of speculation when you said "evidence" before.

Paisley wrote:
God is persuasive, not coercive.

Where did this even come from? How do you know anything about your Universal Mind concept? If you made it up, then you can make the rules for it, but if you didn't, and it's immaterial, how did you learn anything about it?

Paisley wrote:
Are you attempting to argue that a world soul is not some kind of God-concept?

Why would I attempt to argue that something you just made up is not some kind of immaterial creature concept? You are bizarre.

Paisley wrote:
As in final causation. The atheistic worldview is not a teleological one.

The phrase "final causation" is a bit weird in a time-moves-forward universe. Do you mean this entity is responsible for everything? And just because the atheistic worldview somehow lacks your specific teleology, it has no purpose? Is it your intention to drag this into metaphysical naturalism?

Paisley wrote:
What's the mathematical formula for purpose?

Help me out here. I say the universe operates consistently and you ask me for a mathematical formula for purpose. Only I already said you get to make your own purpose. Is that freedom too scary or something?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:You will die

Paisley wrote:

You will die and cease to exist. Everyone you ever loved or knew will die and cease to exist. Everything you have ever strived for or worked for will be burnt to ashes. All your suffering will be for nothing. In fact, whether you lived or not is rather moot in the vast scheme of things. I can't think of anything more meaningless or absurd.

Oh THIS is what you're talking about. Holy crap. Did you really have to go through all that metaphysical garbage to get to this?

Yes, we die and cease to exist, just like everyone we ever loved or knew. But what's with the burnt to ashes? Things people wrote from 3,000 years ago have survived. Why do you assume everything we've ever written would get burned? And suffering just happens. Wanting it to be for something is fine, but wishing for something and it being true are different things.

You COULD always think of yourself as insignificant in geological terms, but then you'd be forgetting how important you are to the people around you, and the people you effect on a daily basis even if you don't know them. You're an immensely important part of a group and community, even if you don't feel like it. That's not meaningless unless you make it so.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Yes, we

HisWillness wrote:

Yes, we die and cease to exist, just like everyone we ever loved or knew. But what's with the burnt to ashes? Things people wrote from 3,000 years ago have survived. Why do you assume everything we've ever written would get burned? And suffering just happens. Wanting it to be for something is fine, but wishing for something and it being true are different things.

Nah, I've gotta give him that one, Will.. in about 2,000,000,000 years, the Sun'll expand and burn the Earth to cinders, at which point I'm pretty cool with saying everything I've done will be, at most, ashes. Eye-wink

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
Oh my fucking non-existent God. I thought you were smarter than this. I guess I was wrong.

I presume this was a Freudian slip.

In what way? I'm not following you on this. (Actually, I'm not following you at all. You don't make a whole lot of sense, and you certainly aren't presenting a cohesive nor cogent argument. It's like arguing with a fairly smart kid who has ADD.)

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
Dawkins was talking about life, as in the biosphere, and about evolution. There is no purpose to evolution, as in, it's not directed. Phenotypes don't spring up because they are needed. You are conflating evolutionary "life" with a personal existence.

Based on the worldview of atheistic materialism, all intentional acts are simply the process of physical causation playing itself out. Therefore, it is wrong to say that intentional acts are guided by purpose or goals because physical causation is not teleological. In other words, if nature is a "blind watchmaker" then human beings are too. And what this means is that if eyeballs weren't created or guided by intelligence then watches weren't either. Either there is no intelligent design in the universe or intelligence is guiding the whole shebang. You can't have it both ways.

Dawkins didn't say nature was a blind watchmaker-- he said evolution was a blind watchmaker. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You have conflated the concept of evolutionary life with specific human life to prove that specific human life has no higher purpose. That's fine, because the phrase "higher purpose" is so much philosophical drivel. That doesn't exclude life from having a purpose, however.

As far as atheistic materialism: you are limiting that phrase to a subset of people who hardly even exist. Most knowledgable people left the idea of Newtonian determinism behind many decades ago, yet that is the only description you allow for the group you label "atheistic materialists." So, you allow arguments only using your slightly unreal definitions, and then are so proud that you win when others use definitions that fit more with reality, and are generally more accepted.

The strange thing is, your arguments aren't even internally consistent, let alone consistent with the observable universe. Yet when other people point out your inconsistencies, you make strange statements involving poorly defined terms -- statements that don't even make up a logical argument -- and continue as if you've answered.

I respect people of faith. The ones I respect are the ones that say, "Here's what I believe. I have no real proof that I can present to you, yet I believe it still." Those people are intellectually honest, and understand that their belief isn't necessarily something they can defend on a logical empirical level. I also respect those who have enough knowledge to argue a case for the possibility of God using philosophic and perhaps even a smattering of quantum physics, while accepting there are other interpretations.

You say that atheism lakes teleology? That may be true (though I don't think so). Your case is worse, as it lakes ontology.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Nah, I've gotta

BMcD wrote:

Nah, I've gotta give him that one, Will.. in about 2,000,000,000 years, the Sun'll expand and burn the Earth to cinders, at which point I'm pretty cool with saying everything I've done will be, at most, ashes. Eye-wink

Of course! How silly of me. I was thinking in terms of geologic time when I should have been thinking in terms of eternity.

Wow.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: How can

Paisley wrote:

How can you know the absolute truth when you only have a finite or limited perspective? 

Your assertion regarding absolute truth and it's relationship to theism has yet to be established by you. 

In fact you have made no attempt to answer my question.  You avoided a simple request to explain your claims by shifting the focus to me. The validity of your assertions should not in any way depend upon my perspective. Either you have a valid argument to put forth or you don't.

Again, I ask you to validate your claim that "The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism."

You are the one who decided to come onto this forum and challenge atheists as being irrational.  You are the one making this claim regarding your personal beliefs.

No more of your esoterical bullshit, please. It's time for you to put up or shut up.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Antibiotics

shikko wrote:
Antibiotics have their place.  But the traditional approach to treating bacterial infections (illness) is magic.

Does this have a point?

shikko wrote:
All the mystic practices I have ever heard of are nothing more than hacking your brain to flip into an unusual state.  A misbehaving brain, being the center of neural processing, can make it seem as if you have felt the Hand of God Opening the Book of Ultimate Truth, but that doesn't mean you AREN'T in your living room tripping balls on shrooms.  So you had a mystic experience that proves that There's Something Out There to you.  Great!  That has no bearing outside your cortex, for obvious reasons.  As someone else here once put it "Congragulations! You just proved you have a brain."

Sam Harris seems to have had a different take on mysticism.

Quote:
There is a form of well-being that supersedes all others, indeed, that transcends the vagaries of experience itself. I will use both "spirituality" and "mysticism" interchangeably here, because there are no alternatives. pg. 205 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

shikko wrote:
Your feelings about the universe don't matter one whit to physical reality; it's going to go on doing what it's doing billions of years after you're dead just like it did billions of years before you were born.  I'm sorry that thought makes you uncomfortable.

This thought does not make me uncomfortable because I don't share it. However, I do understand why an atheist would have such a pessimistic outlook. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in such a cold and loveless world. You have my sympathy.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
2nd postPaisley

2nd post

Paisley wrote:

Actually, I don't believe so much that the consciousness is "out there" as it is "within me." So, the evidence is my own conscious-awareness. In particular, it is my own experience of pure awareness (samadhi).

Hello Paisley

? do you believe that you are God

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Paisley

greek goddess wrote:
Paisley wrote:
 The quest for truth is ultimately a religious or spiritual one.
That's in your opinion... that's certainly not a fact.

When I used "truth" in this context, I was referring to the "absolute truth." 

greek goddess wrote:
I'll be honest, you've been quite rude since coming here.

Rude? I would say that my behavior has been exemplary.  

greek goddess wrote:
It's as if you expect us to wave our magic wands and poof away your theism. Well, that's not quite how it works here. For one thing, we don't believe in "magic men" and certainly don't believe ourselves to possess any magic - just logic.

Evidently, logic has its limits.

greek goddess wrote:
For another thing, as others have been saying, it is up to YOU to open your mind and consider the evidence objectively. For instance, I was indoctrinated into Christianity. My deconversion was my own doing. I asked myself "what's the difference between a religion and a cult? Who's to say that belief that aliens are coming is any less absurd than the belief that Jesus is coming?" etc.. Now, you don't seem to particularly WANT to be rid of your god belief, so that's going to be hard for you. If you are really interested in hearing what we have to say then I suggest you drop the condescending sarcastic attitude, and start asking questions that don't pertain to strawmen.

No, actually I don't. But apparently you feel it is problematic.

greek goddess wrote:
To address a few issues you've brought up thus far - not all atheists are necessarily materialist. "Atheism" only pertains to lack of a belief in a deity. Although there aren't many here, I've no doubt that there are people out there who don't believe in a god, yet believe in the possibility of UFO's or ghosts. There is no set atheist doctrine that dictates what you can and can't believe - which is why, if you visit other threads, you'll often find atheists disagreeing with other atheists over various matters. Most of us don't mind having our beliefs challenged, and we even don't mind revising our stance on an issue, if we find it appropriate.

Yeah, I know the line: "Atheism is simply the belief that there is no God or the disbelief in God's existence." However, I would argue that the general public equates atheism with a materialistic worldview and certainly not with a spiritual one.

greek goddess wrote:
Another thing is, you seem to be confused over this whole purpose thing. We don't believe we were "created" so basically we're here by accident, or for no particular reason. That doesn't mean we mope around and wail about how pointless our lives are. Just as currency is assigned value, we assign value to our own lives. We don't need to be told what to do - we just do what we WANT to do. We try to get all that we can out of life, because this is all there is. Everyone on this site has decided on a different purpose for their life based on their own interests, but I can guarantee you that everyone on this site is a fulfilled individual, whether they are passionate about science, philosophy, or beer.

I am not confused. I understand the meaning of the term "ultimate" - a term which apparently gives atheists a conniption fit. 

greek goddess wrote:
Now, one question for you: If you believe in a non-interventionist god, what makes you so sure that you will be "granted" eternal life by a god who could care less about you?

I'm not sure by what you mean by a "non-interventionist" God. I am not a deist. I see the Holy Spirit has having a continual presence in the lives of everyone and everything.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Why have an

jcgadfly wrote:
Why have an "ultimate" purpose at all? Why can't the reasons people live their lives during their lifetimes suffice? Not yet sure how to tackle your other question.

Because a rational worldview is one that has purpose and meaning. If it doesn't, then it isn't a rational worldview but an absurd one. Also, the atheist seems to have a preoccupation with his own ego. I keep hearing: Life is what "I want." "I define my own purpose." "I, I, I,"

Personally, I see something at work that is greater than myself. Something to which everyone and everything is being called.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:jcgadfly

Paisley wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Why have an "ultimate" purpose at all? Why can't the reasons people live their lives during their lifetimes suffice? Not yet sure how to tackle your other question.

Because a rational worldview is one that has purpose and meaning.

That's a teleological question. A rational view is one that interjects fewest assumptions. You know, the opposite of what you do.

Paisley wrote:
If it doesn't, then it isn't a rational worldview but an absurd one.

Your argument comes down to belief in belief, not rationality. You choose the delusion that suits your ability to function; but its effect has no bearing on its validity.

Paisley wrote:
Also, the atheist seems to have a preoccupation with his own ego. I keep hearing: Life is what "I want." "I define my own purpose." "I, I, I,"

What a bland, vacuous straw-man. For anyone who's not a self-deluded pussy and aspiring troll, search the philosophy section for many varied conversations about morality and purpose. No one has to agree, or even like, those arguments, but they're light years ahead of this garbage.

Paisley wrote:

Personally, I see something at work that is greater than myself.

The word "personally" is not necessary there.

Paisley wrote:
Something to which everyone and everything is being called.

What a hilariously disappointing argument.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Ok time to

latincanuck wrote:
Ok time to show your IGNORANCE again.

Buddhist cosmology has a hierarchy of gods.

Quote:
A Brahmā in Buddhism the generic name for a type of exalted passionless deity (deva), of which there are a very large number in Buddhist cosmology. (source: Wikipedia "Brahma (Buddhism)" )

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Paisley wrote:

How can you know the absolute truth when you only have a finite or limited perspective? 

Your assertion regarding absolute truth and it's relationship to theism has yet to be established by you. 

In fact you have made no attempt to answer my question.  You avoided a simple request to explain your claims by shifting the focus to me. The validity of your assertions should not in any way depend upon my perspective. Either you have a valid argument to put forth or you don't.

Again, I ask you to validate your claim that "The realization of absolute truth presupposes some form of theism."

You are the one who decided to come onto this forum and challenge atheists as being irrational.  You are the one making this claim regarding your personal beliefs.

No more of your esoterical bullshit, please. It's time for you to put up or shut up.

Thanks for not answering the question you panentheistic pussy.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

Please explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.

By asking myself "why is there something rather than nothing?"

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:zarathustra

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

And if you answer with a non-sequitur.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:So

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
So I'm irrational if I say that I can think of many, many reasons my life is meaningful without referencing a universal mind greater than myself? That's hardly a rational argument.

There is the saying that ignorance is bliss.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:

A non-answer.  Your "explanation" leaves a lot to be desired.  Yawn.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

FulltimeDefendent wrote:
So I'm irrational if I say that I can think of many, many reasons my life is meaningful without referencing a universal mind greater than myself? That's hardly a rational argument.

There is the saying that ignorance is bliss.

Given the choice, I'd prefer an ignorant mind to a willfully deluded one.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Wow you ALL.  And that

Wow you ALL.  And that was some great posting greek goddess ! and Watcher .... etc ....   ( I have been taking notes and writing some thoughts )

Hey Paisley, What is your purpose here ? Are you trying to divide us or unite us ?

As you have been asked , Are god or not ? .... Well I AM !   All this thread seems more about what is consciousness ?  

The pantheist message is indeed progress, yes kill "god of abe" separationism.

I AM rooting for ya Paisley. Please try again , in simple terms, your message about

G AWE D , ..... is anyone AWAKE not in AWE ! Now what?,  DOGMA ! Godma .... Dreamin is good .....

btw , Science is the highest form of "GOD" worship known to man !

Religion ain't all bad untill it goes DOGGY STYLE !  .....  

Say these words "I AM GOD", don't be afraid .... just try it , pass it on , the LOVE , the "feel good" , we are "ONE" ! .....     No more war , only love !  

..... now I will cry for my suffering people     I love that atheist Jesus ! He was our friend ! atheist Buddha too !  But something is obviously still wrong this very new day ???

What is Wrong and Why ? Gods plan ?!?! Obviously again, we are on our own. So what is your G  'A W E'  D  plan !       I say let's KISS alot and build our heaven of FUN  now ....  hey guys, make the girls super duper happy .... I AM MAN GOD !    

I worship Goddesses ! and the child gods we make happen .....    , and visa versa to all girls  !   WE could REALLY  ROCK ! Let's do it !  ......

to hear all the kids laughing and playing happily  .....     

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:
You can have your true knowledge. I'll take facts. You can have your ultimate reality. I'll take my observable, fact-based one, which is pretty fucking cool without God here to kick it in the nuts occasionally. You can have your eternal life. I'll take the one life I have, and live it as if it's worthwhile, thanks.

Sounds like you're upset. Why? Because I believe I can experientially know the absolute truth?

nigelTheBold wrote:
You start claiming that atheism isn't rational, though, and you're just spouting the same old tired, "Atheism is really just a religion!" bullshit. It's provably rational, as it's based on reason and observation.

How is it reasonable when it denies the source of reason itself?

nigelTheBold wrote:
One question: even if there was a panentheistic God, what evidence do you have that says you'll not just die and be wormfood, and this God doesn't simply get his jollies watching you slob his nob, and when you're dead you're no good to him? Why is this God confined to your preconceptions of Him (or It, or whatever pronoun you wish to ascribe)?

Because God is love.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently smaller steps are necessary...

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Very well.  You asked yourself this question.  With all deserved respect for your gracious response, I'm afraid this does not explain how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.  

Please feel at ease to do so now.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote:do you

Rev_Devilin wrote:
do you believe that you are God?

I believe that I am a thought in the mind of God. When the "I" dissolves, God realizes himself.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Rev_Devilin

Paisley wrote:

Rev_Devilin wrote:

I believe that I am a thought in the mind of God. When the "I" dissolves, God realizes himself.

I think you're a polyp on god's distended rectum.

And when he has a shit the little tear in his eye is your fault.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:Curious

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Curious to see where you stand I guess, don't know many pantheists. Are you interested in changing mine?

No, I'm not.

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Materialism is the only concept that mankind can truly be aware of. Besides, I have never said that there is nothing else, just no evidence to suggest there is.

Materialism cannot account for consciousness.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Very well.  You asked yourself this question.  I'm afraid this does not explain in full how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.  

Please be at ease to do so now.

Only consciousness qualifies as being both "something" and "nothing."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Cali_Athiest2

Paisley wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Curious to see where you stand I guess, don't know many pantheists. Are you interested in changing mine?

No, I'm not.

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
Materialism is the only concept that mankind can truly be aware of. Besides, I have never said that there is nothing else, just no evidence to suggest there is.

"Cannot?"

Either you understand neuroscience better than anyone so far, or your whole argument comes down to a naked assertion.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Very well.  You asked yourself this question.  I'm afraid this does not explain in full how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief.  

Please be at ease to do so now.

Only consciousness qualifies as being both "something" and "nothing."

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? That's like saying "falling down" is something and nothing. It's a process, not a thing. There's no evidence a consciousness juice is traversing the planes of existence. Can't you write anything that isn't idiotic?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I am most appreciative of

I am most appreciative of your effort in responding.  Yet, begging your most benevolent pardon, I must humbly indicate that

these two statements of yours taken in succession:

1. By asking myself "why is there something rather than nothing?"

2. Only consciousness qualifies as being both "something" and "nothing."

are not logically connected, and by themselves, do not suffice to:

Quote:
explain  how you rationally arrived at your pantheistic belief

At the daunting risk of committing an unspeakably egregious offense, I find myself compelled to ask of you a third (3rd) time this explanation.

You are cordially encouraged to dispense with any lingering inhibitions, and provide us with what should be a most enlightening rational proof of your pantheistic belief, which is surely built on sound premises and proceeds elegantly to its conclusion.

Allow me to express my gratitude in advance.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: I believe

Paisley wrote:

It took you five pages of posts on this thread to tell us something as absurd as this shit !  Holy crap, this is what causes you to feel so smug ? 

What a fucking joke ! 

I should sue you for wasting my time.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
magilum, ???? are you

magilum, ???? are you related to George Carlin? , or is that actually you George !   

Paisley wrote:    'Only consciousness qualifies as being both "something" and "nothing." '  /////// 

Ummm , Say agian ??????  Geezzz ???  So Now what ? Confused, so worship consciousness ???????

You ain't one of those people that pray are ya ???  So we are AWAKE ? ..... YUP, so amazing it indeed is. 

If you do pray , do you give lessons. It never worked for me?  

Love ya man , consciousness ROCKS ! Okay, let's call it "GOD". Now WHAT ?

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:greek goddess

Paisley wrote:

greek goddess wrote:
Paisley wrote:
 The quest for truth is ultimately a religious or spiritual one.
That's in your opinion... that's certainly not a fact.

When I used "truth" in this context, I was referring to the "absolute truth." 

Paisley wrote:

greek goddess wrote:
For another thing, as others have been saying, it is up to YOU to open your mind and consider the evidence objectively. For instance, I was indoctrinated into Christianity. My deconversion was my own doing. I asked myself "what's the difference between a religion and a cult? Who's to say that belief that aliens are coming is any less absurd than the belief that Jesus is coming?" etc.. Now, you don't seem to particularly WANT to be rid of your god belief, so that's going to be hard for you. If you are really interested in hearing what we have to say then I suggest you drop the condescending sarcastic attitude, and start asking questions that don't pertain to strawmen.

No, actually I don't. But apparently you feel it is problematic.

Well, it's only problematic if you truly want to be openminded about your "search for truth" to put it in your terms. I mean, if you're happy with your god belief, then that's awesome for you. But I will say that it's dishonest of you to come here requesting (however sarcastically) to be rid of your "God belief" when you really have no intention of giving up said belief. Why are you wasting our time then?

Paisley wrote:

Yeah, I know the line: "Atheism is simply the belief that there is no God or the disbelief in God's existence." However, I would argue that the general public equates atheism with a materialistic worldview and certainly not with a spiritual one.

Yes, probably the vast majority of atheists also hold materialist views. For your purposes here on this site, it is safe to say that most of us are materialist. But atheism =/= materialism, and so you cannot use them interchangeably. It would be like saying we're all democrats, or we're all feminists.

Paisley wrote:

I am not confused. I understand the meaning of the term "ultimate" - a term which apparently gives atheists a conniption fit. 

We understand it too:

ul·ti·mate       (ŭl'tə-mĭt)  Pronunciation Key 
adj.  

1. Being last in a series, process, or progression: "As the ultimate arbiter of the Constitution, the Supreme Court occupies a central place in our scheme of government" (Richard A. Epstein).
  2. Fundamental; elemental: an ultimate truth.
    1. Of the greatest possible size or significance; maximum: Has the ultimate diamond been found?
    2. Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication: the ultimate bicycle.
    3. Utmost; extreme: the ultimate insult.
  3. Being most distant or remote; farthest. See Synonyms at last1.
  4. Eventual: hoped for ultimate victory.

Now you like to use the term with reference to a higher power and eternity. We don't use it in that way, because we don't believe in a higher power or an "ultimate purpose." It doesn't give me a fit. It just really has no meaning for me in that context.

Paisley wrote:

greek goddess wrote:
Now, one question for you: If you believe in a non-interventionist god, what makes you so sure that you will be "granted" eternal life by a god who could care less about you?

I'm not sure by what you mean by a "non-interventionist" God. I am not a deist. I see the Holy Spirit has having a continual presence in the lives of everyone and everything.

Now I'm getting suspicious. I already was when you said you believe in "God" with a capital G as opposed to just an all-encompassing consciousness or something, when you claimed you will receive eternal life, and when you claimed to hold a pantheist belief that is somehow different from that of most pantheists. Now you are invoking the Holy Spirit. Is this the Christian Holy Spirit? Is this the same as God, or is it a member of a "trinity"? Again, this is looking somewhat dishonest - it would really be helpful to everyone here if you would outline your beliefs, so that we could engage in more fruitful discussion.

[edited to fix quotes - it was 3 am when i wrote this, wasn't really paying attention ]

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I just had too ..... )))

I just had too ..... ))) echo  that quote that "Foxy Lady"

greek goddess  also sent !

"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~Douglas Adams

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Materialism

Paisley wrote:

Why not? And, more to the point, so what? Just because something can't be explained yet, doesn't immediately make everything default to "God". This is called the "God of the Gaps" argument. More than that, it's a massive jump into magic land for someone like me who is a materialist.

By the way, the main problem with "fixing" you of your God belief is emotional, not metaphysical. It's emotionally devastating to go against the psychological mechanism of justification of effort. Not only that, social bonds are often centered around an informal culture that includes religion, so removing yourself from the beliefs that are constantly around you can be very difficult.

I sympathise, but it doesn't change that which is true.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
daretoknow wrote:Hopefully

daretoknow wrote:
Hopefully you aren't positing that it is a fact that consciousness is "non physical".  To make a naked assertion such that the mind is non physical is more absurd than anything you accuse an atheist of. I could make an equally naked assertion that emergentism is the ultimate truth and reduce this to a "neener neener I'm smarterer than you" conversation, but I'll digress.

There is a wealth of information on this site, and every other corner of the web, about the relationship between consciousness and the physical and chemical state of your brain. If you were to alter the physical state of an individuals brain you could, with relative accuracy, predict the effect it would have on a persons "consciousness" (i.e.) if I gave you a frontal lobotomy your consciousness would be basically non existent. This doesn't constitute absolute proof for emergentism, but it certainly lends credibility to the materialistic view of neurology and thusly consciousness. This is not even scratching the surface of the myriad evidences that could be shown to support the more materialistic views of consciousness.

Emergentism is not a materialistic view but a dualistic one. On this view, consciousness (mental states) is nonphysical and supervenes upon the physical (i.e. mental states are correlated with physical states but are not identical with them).

Quote:
Emergentism is a theory which came to popularity in the early twentieth century. It is a form of non-reductive supervenience, but one where reality is considered to supervene in a manner more akin to layers, rather than patterns within a single layer, as per later physicalism. These layers are said to be genuinely novel from each other (i.e. the psychological vs. the physical), and is thus a type of dualism. Physicalism is essentially monistic. ( source: Wikipedia "Physicalism" )

daretoknow wrote:
What sort of evidence can you offer for the supernatural consciousness you eschew as fact? A lack of evidence is not evidence for anything except a lack of...well...evidence. It seems that you don't have a good relationship with your day to day reality and you like the safety and comfort lying in gaps affords you.

What type of physical evidence would qualify as evidence for a nonphysical cause?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:What type of

Paisley wrote:

What type of physical evidence would qualify as evidence for a nonphysical cause?

There is none. You'd need nonphysical evidence, which can't be had. So ... back to metaphysics, where nothing gets solved and everyone goes cross-eyed.

Back to square one, where imaginary things are still imaginary.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
daretoknow wrote:There is a

daretoknow wrote:
There is a wealth of information on this site, and every other corner of the web, about the relationship between consciousness and the physical and chemical state of your brain. If you were to alter the physical state of an individuals brain you could, with relative accuracy, predict the effect it would have on a persons "consciousness"

I second the above with examples:

- psychoactive drugs

- brain activity scans

- brain injuries

- neuroscience in general

At the very least, Paisley, read some Oliver Sacks. His books are very entertaining, and his neurological knowledge is above reproach.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
(in reply to an earlier

(in reply to an earlier comment which I am too lazy to quote: ) Dude, I'm a long way from upset. Frustrated at your misuse of the word "rational," as you in general sound sane and intelligent, but certainly not upset.

Paisley wrote:

Rev_Devilin wrote:

I am a Bill Hicks proselytizer. Have you listened to his stand up? He's probably the funniest man to have ever walked the earth. He pretty much thought this same thing-- we are all part of a living God, and the sooner we realize that, we can stop fighting, evolve, and get the fuck off this planet. His conception of God seems fairly congruent to your own.

I don't have a God-belief at all, but I still completely agree with his sentiment.

Of course, if you're a youngster, you might not get a lot of his material. He died in 1994 of pancreatic cancer, and most of his recordings are from the last four years of his life.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Appeal to

magilum wrote:
Appeal to authority.

Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective. You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Appealing to

Paisley wrote:
Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective.

What? WHAT? Evidence backs up really good explanations for things, and you're willing to brush that aside and turn it into a subjective exercise? Is the evidence for bacteria's involvment in disease simply subjective? If you were dying of botulism, would you just chalk it up to some weird dream you were having? You're unbelievable.

Paisley wrote:
You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

Then produce it. The quantum mecanics angle is exhausted, since your understanding of quantum theory involves some non-physical cause (an interpretation based in the non-physical of a theory about the physical is just ... out there).

Where is this evidence?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Really? LOL.

magilum wrote:
Really? LOL. When you die you go to another dimension where you're reunited with all your childhood dogs, and your high school crush services you hourly.

Laughing is a coping mechanism to deal with the absurdity of it all. Such is the atheistic worldview of life.

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
No one can exorcise you of your God conviction, you do.

Then this forum is making a false advertisement. The motto says:

Believe in God?  We can fix that.

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
You are the only one that can change your beliefs. Everyone comes to their own realization that what they were taught, told, or indoctrinated with cannot be possibly be true. One may have to accept that the Truth isn't out there and the reality of the past practiced religions were based on myths or legends. If you believe in there must be a God because look at the wonderful complex Universe, I would suggest you read Carl Sagan.

I believe in the Truth. That's why I have a God-belief. The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd. How can a worldview be true when it denies truth itself?

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something.

I assume you're Pantheism involved a conscious world, steadily heading towards some progressive end. Do you have any justification for such an assertion? And if, assumably, you can prove the world if progressing (as opposed to merely changing), I would LOVE to see you defend the notion that it is somehow "consciously" doing so.

Finally, if you cannot prove the consciousness, then I deem you no different than Atheists. You merely need the term "god". So, you call god what we call existence. Semantics may be the only difference here.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was wrong

Paisley wrote:

Appealing to evidence is appealing to the authority of the evidence. The point is that evidence is subjective. You say there is no evidence. I say there is.

Gah. I was wrong. You aren't intelligent.

You are right in the first sentence, but wrong in the second. There efficacy of science in prediction of events is definitely an appeal to authority. That authority is called "reailty." It'd be nice if you'd join us here one day. I think you'd enjoy it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Nor have I had to

BMcD wrote:
Nor have I had to discard my nonbelief in the existence or nonexistence of a God. I am curious, though, if you claim this is a theory, can you please share with the class a)what predictions the theory makes, and b)how it may be tested? Theories require both; without those two factors, you're talking about a hypothesis.

The term "theory" (like most terms) has multiple meanings and/or definitions.

theory : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

BMcD wrote:
That's exactly what I mean by external purpose. My purpose is to be happy and satisfied while I exist. When I do not exist, my purpose has no relevance, as it is my purpose. I will die and cease to exist. Everyone I ever loved or knew, everyone I will ever love and know will cease to exist. All my efforts and labors will eventually come to nothingness. These things are meaningless. That I will die is meaningless. That all will eventually come to naught is meaningless. All that has meaning to me are the events of my lifetime.

If we agree that everyone desires happiness, then how can anyone say that life doesn't have a purpose?

BMcD wrote:
Until you can prove to me that anything beyond myself exists, that all of reality isn't a delusion, then any search for anything beyond my own lifetime would be irrational.

Only a mind asleep and dreaming is in a position to recognize the illusory nature of its own dream.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:You are

nigelTheBold wrote:
You are right in the first sentence, but wrong in the second. There efficacy of science in prediction of events is definitely an appeal to authority. That authority is called "reailty." It'd be nice if you'd join us here one day. I think you'd enjoy it.

You're taking my comment out of context. I was responding to an individual who was claiming I was making a fallacious argument by "appealing to authority."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD wrote:Nor

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:

The term "theory" (like most terms) has multiple meanings and/or definitions.

theory : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

Again avoiding the question by quibbling over meaning, when the meaning is perfectly clear. Do you do this because your position is untenable, or because your wife still beats you? She gives good head, though. But I think your mom is better. Which do you prefer?

Paisley wrote:

If we agree that everyone desires happiness, then how can anyone say that life doesn't have a purpose?

Not everyone desires happiness. Some seek complete lack of emotion. Others seek anger. Each person seeks their own self-realization. Sometimes that means squandering (in my opinion) a perfectly good life sitting in front of a television. So, no, there is no universal purpose. (I do have a higher purpose, but it's my higher purpose, and you can't have it. It's mine. You have your own. Yours is stupid, and ugly, and looks and smells like it came out of a dog's butt.)

So far, your reasoning consists of poor logic, stubborness, intentional obtuseness, and unfounded tautologies. You are either a semi-educated idiot, or a very poor troll. Considering your hints of enjoyment and humor, I'd have to go with "troll."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

You're taking my comment out of context. I was responding to an individual who was claiming I was making a fallacious argument by "appealing to authority."

No, I'm not taking it out of context. You said it as a bald statement of fact as a response to someone who accused you of an appeal to authority (which you were). However, I subtracted no meaning from you statement. If it's not what you meant, you might try to explain exactly what you did mean. As it is, your original assertion is quite plain, and hard to misinterpret. So, backpedal away.

And now I am getting annoyed. You have moments of clarity, as if you are earnest about discussion and wish some form of understanding. Then you squander it on stupid assertions and avoidance tactics. I'm annoyed I let myself get drawn into the conversation, and I'm annoyed I gave you the benefit of the doubt, for both intention and intelligence.