prostitution

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
prostitution

Ok, so what is your opinion about prostitution? As you might know, NY Gov. Spitzer is in trouble because of a 1910 law against crossing state lines for prostitution. I bet that law was passed by the same bible thumpers who eventually got prohibition passed. I honestly don't see what is wrong with prostitution as long as the prostitute (male or female) is doing it of their own free will. If two people want to do it, I don't care, it's not my business. I don't see it as "immoral" b/c the whole idea of it being "wrong" comes from the church.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is onlineOnline
JillSwift wrote:Well, you're

JillSwift wrote:

Well, you're making some assumptions about my personal philosophy here that aren't true. May it suffice for me to say I recommend to everyone, from my own experiences, that they really explore their options before deciding on their personal philosophies of any sort. =^_^=

I never made any assumptions. I just gave another point of view to the one you decided for yourself. How does one "really" explore" their options if they never give it a try for themselves? Otherwise you're just relying on the opinion of others. Why not try to make every day special? Why not make every experience special or at least a learning experience?

Life is uncertain, Life is short, youth is even shorter, and we don't know what if anything happens after death. So that's why this philosophy of waiting to attain greater pleasure makes no sense to me. Seize the day, but be rational about things.

JillSwift wrote:

EXC wrote:
Plus many prostitutes feel that being a housewife is just being a prostitute just with less freedom, more work and more boring.
Curious: What percentage is "most", and where did you get that data? I'd love to review it.

Never said most. Just based on interviews I've seen with women that work in Nevada Brothels about how they love the freedom their work gives them. Also base on the stree rule "You can't turn a hooker into a housewife". Probably cause she's getting a better deal hooking.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I never made any

EXC wrote:
I never made any assumptions. I just gave another point of view to the one you decided for yourself. How does one "really" explore" their options if they never give it a try for themselves? Otherwise you're just relying on the opinion of others. Why not try to make every day special? Why not make every experience special or at least a learning experience?

Life is uncertain, Life is short, youth is even shorter, and we don't know what if anything happens after death. So that's why this philosophy of waiting to attain greater pleasure makes no sense to me. Seize the day, but be rational about things.

Then we agree perfectly. =^_^=

EXC wrote:
Never said most.
Oopsie. My fault, I meant to type "many". Sorry!

EXC wrote:
Just based on interviews I've seen with women that work in Nevada Brothels about how they love the freedom their work gives them. Also base on the stree rule "You can't turn a hooker into a housewife". Probably cause she's getting a better deal hooking.
Ok. Thankies! =^_^=

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Why does

Hambydammit wrote:

Why does one trump the other at all?  Because, in any situation where harm, fairness, community, and authority are in conflict, it's not an on/off switch.  It's a sliding scale.  By calling the police (authority), we are, to a certain degree, being fair to our community by reducing potential harm.  (What if he goes postal?)

Suppose I am a traveling businessman.  I have ten cities to go to and a map.  I want a computer to calculate the absolute most efficient route between the ten cities.  Using traditional linear logic, this will take a damn fine computer a long time.  The number of potential routes is extraordinary, and the computer is going to have to literally map out each one and then compare all of them to get the correct answer.  It will eventually get the most correct answer, every time (assuming correct data and correct CPU functioning) but by the time it does, I've probably lost three clients.  A better way to solve this problem is a neural net.  I'm going to skip the details because A) they're complicated and not particularly relevant and B) I'm not in AI and don't want to fuck up a detail and derail the topic over nothing important.  The bottom line is that a neural network is going to use a much broader shotgun style approach of eliminating the obviously bad possibilities and discovering a pattern which will quickly lead us to a very good answer.  It's actually pretty unlikely that it will be the best answer, but good neural networks get in the top 5-10% just about every time.

When we judge a situation like the one you described, we are (to use Haidt's model) solving a similar problem.  Suppose that harm, fairness, purity, community, and authority are each on a 1-100 scale, and we want to find the answer that gives the highest total number, adding all five scores together.  This is a much more daunting task than just ten set distances.  Even so, a neural net can get a pretty damn good answer without too much stress.

But... what if that's not the best way to do it?  What if, instead of going for the highest total score, we seek the one category which applies the most and seek to maximize it as much as possible without going below 50 in any other category?

The thing is, we'll get a similar answer.  Maybe method number two is going to yield an answer in the 89th percentile, and number one yields a 94th percentile, but they're still pretty good answers.

However, if you sit around a table with a bunch of hack philosophers, someone will insist that there's an objective way to decide which of those two methods is really the best one.

You said earlier that morality is the weighing the well-being of one against the well-being of another.  So it sounds like what you are getting at is that within that context you are accepting the values inherent in this definition as a given, and you are using data and reason to objectively weigh how the act of prostitution operates within this “gray scale” calculus. Is this correct?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You said earlier that

Quote:
You said earlier that morality is the weighing the well-being of one against the well-being of another.

I'm pretty sure someone else said that, but if I did, it was part of a larger context.  I don't believe that's all morality is.

Quote:
So it sounds like what you are getting at is that within that context you are accepting the values inherent in this definition as a given, and you are using data and reason to objectively weigh how the act of prostitution operates within this “gray scale” calculus. Is this correct?

Not even remotely.  I'm not accepting any values as given.  That's why I mentioned superorganisms, and demonstrated that even with commonly accepted values, morality is still not absolute, nor is one system necessarily better than another.  If you base your morality on Haidt, you're still not using an absolute system because of the way neural networks process data, and because of the immense number of variables in any situation.

Now, having said that, accepting values as existing doesn't exactly equate to accepting them as given.  Because we're dealing with admittedly irrational humans with a lot of evolutionary misfirings built into their psyche, we can't treat them as robots or Vulcans.   To return to prostitution, Patient A, who was raised super-fundamentalist Christian, and believes that sex in marriage is marginally acceptable if it's in the interest of procreation, is going to have an entirely different moral perspective than Patient B, who grew up with a non-religious family and talked openly about sex from an early age, and was encouraged to be in control of her own body and sexuality by both of her parents and many of her peers.

If Patient A suggests that perhaps she ought to sell her body for money, giant red flags ought to go off immediately.  Something is drastically and horribly dissonant, and any therapist worth a damn is going to try to figure out why she's had such a huge, sudden turnaround from her previous ideas.

Patient B, on the other hand, is unlikely to be suggesting it for the same reasons, and it's also likely that she's going to be in a much different situation.  A therapist would hopefully know enough to figure out first if this represents a change in beliefs (Is she going to be out of control of her sexuality, or is she driving this car?) before advising against it because of some blanket proscription against selling sex.

I haven't given enough information in either case to know anything for certain, but if you asked me for my opinion based only on what I've told you, I'd say that Patient A should definitely not do it, but I wouldn't be able to say one way or another for Patient B.

In other words, individuals' personal beliefs about moral values have an objective effect on the processing of moral decisions, and on the outcome of actions, so we cannot pretend that they don't exist.  This is why I haven't pledged my undying love for the Haidt model.

So, Patient A has values that I accept as existing, but I do not accept them as givens for a "universal morality."  They are, however, completely relevant to her individual case.

I asked another question in my last post that I'd really like you to answer.  Why aren't apes behaving immorally when they kill and eat a baby from their own group?

[EDIT:  Bah... so much to remember... I also mentioned very plainly the existence of opposing, morally good, points of view.  That's extremely important.  Any comment?]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
... ummm ? FUCKING ? I

... ummm ? FUCKING ?  

I AM all for it , fuck our brains out, and make it even BETTER !

Go for DELUXE , thanks for caring ..... I DO !   

FUCK is GOOD !

Fucking is a HIT SONG !

Go science, so that we we can "have our cake and eat it too" ...... I WANT IT ALL .....

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
the cake is a lie

the cake is a lie !

the cake is a lie !

the cake is a lie !

because its a pie...

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  I

Hambydammit wrote:

I asked another question in my last post that I'd really like you to answer.  Why aren't apes behaving immorally when they kill and eat a baby from their own group?

[EDIT:  Bah... so much to remember... I also mentioned very plainly the existence of opposing, morally good, points of view.  That's extremely important.  Any comment?]

Well, presumably because the ape lacks the consciousness that allows it to contemplate the morality of its actions. As for the rest of your last post, how do you avoid moral relativism?  If I'm a man in a Muslim country, its ok for me to beat my wife for not wearing a head scarf, and the police might beat and arrest her for the same.  Here in America a woman is arrested for showing her breasts in public (maybe) and we consider it right and proper.  In both cases the woman is simply violating mores about decency.  To my way of thinking, laws requiring that women cover their breasts are unfortunate, but laws allowing (or even requiring) that a woman get beaten for exposing their hair are immoral.  I can accept arresting a woman for having no head scarf (it's about as arbitrary a rule as covering your breasts), but I don't see where actually causing injury to a person is ok in this situation.  One might argue that arresting a woman for showing her breasts is also immoral, but, one is still more immoral than the other.  Why? I understand that you are using objective as an antonym for biased, and that I was thinking of objective as an antonym for subjective.  I understand that one can use reason to determine that degree to which a behavior has objectively negative consequences, but if you never place value on any given aspect of human endeavor, how do you avoid concentration camps? Why is one outcome negative in the first place? Once we judge an outcome to be negative aren't we excersizing our biases?  Why is a means unjustifiable no matter what the end is?  When Joshua fought the battle of Jericho he committed genocide. He (presumably) justified his action as “God’s will” to avoid any messy discussion about “war crimes.” Clearly the Jewish culture identifies with the convenient scapegoating of the Canaanites even today as a justification of this act. Why would they need to engage in such psychological gymnastics if it were not to defend themselves from the heinousness of the act itself? Once culture prospered due to the destruction of another. Tribal societies use rituals around killing animals for the same reason: people identify with the life they are taking, and need to assuage their guilt. We know that we are robbing the other entity of its own life. We have to justify this to ourselves in some way. These are moral dilemmas. Why? Why not just say “well, law of the jungle. Suck it up?” It seems to me that at some level, morality MUST transcend the situation, or we stay stuck in a “the ends justify the means, might makes right” world, and we are unable to ever change the situation in the situation we are in. This is precisely why a man like Nelson Mandella is so revered. He chose to turn the other cheek and gained moral credibility that catapulted him from political prisoner to political leader. Perhaps your answer will be found in your response to my response to the ape question.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, presumably

Quote:
Well, presumably because the ape lacks the consciousness that allows it to contemplate the morality of its actions.

That's using the word in the definition, in a sense.  We're trying to get down to what morality actually is, so saying that an ape is non-moral because it can't think about morality is not saying very much.  What, specifically, isn't the ape able to think about?  Apes certainly are able to make predictions about their actions to a certain degree.

Quote:
As for the rest of your last post, how do you avoid moral relativism?

Why would you set out to avoid moral relativism?  Is your purpose to determine the truth, or to prove what you want to be true?

Quote:
if you never place value on any given aspect of human endeavor, how do you avoid concentration camps? Why is one outcome negative in the first place? Once we judge an outcome to be negative aren't we excersizing our biases?  Why is a means unjustifiable no matter what the end is?

You've got to get past this false dichotomy thing you do so often.  Why would you assume that because I don't accept a single value as the foundational basis that I don't accept any values?

Once we judge an outcome to be positive or negative, we are exercising bias.  Who said no means were justifiable?

Quote:
Why would they need to engage in such psychological gymnastics if it were not to defend themselves from the heinousness of the act itself?

You're presuming a lot here.  You're presuming that the justification is being made to cover up innate feelings of wrongdoing.  I've recommended that you read The Authoritarian Specter, and this is one of the reasons.  Very strong, repeatable, cross-cultural data indicates that this is simply not true in many cases.

Quote:
Tribal societies use rituals around killing animals for the same reason: people identify with the life they are taking, and need to assuage their guilt.

You're assuming that this is why they do it.  Scapegoating, by the way, isn't as focused on guilt as you seem to be indicating.  The guilt part of it is very strong in Judeo-Christian tradition, but other cultures have seen it more as getting rid of external demons and buggaboos.  In other words, the people themselves were fine, but outside influences were making the crops fail, or causing people to do bad things, or whatever else.  Between Ancient Greek culture and the coming of Christianity, there was a distinct shift of metaphysical philosophy.  In early creation myths, evil was an external force that corrupted neutral humankind.  With the coming of the Judeo-Christian tradition, evil was thought to be internal, and that man's inherent "badness" was responsible for the external problems in the world.

Even so, there's no direct evidence that just because the rituals say that personal guilt is involved in something, that internal guilt really is involved.  Do you think every Christian really feels guilty for Eve's sin?  Is it even possible for a person to feel guilt for the action of another person when they were completely uninvolved?

Humans often misdiagnose the cause/effect relationship of their actions and emotions.

Quote:
These are moral dilemmas. Why? Why not just say “well, law of the jungle. Suck it up?” It seems to me that at some level, morality MUST transcend the situation, or we stay stuck in a “the ends justify the means, might makes right” world, and we are unable to ever change the situation in the situation we are in.

Why must it transcend the situation?  Look around you.  All societies do hold themselves together, and they do have remarkably different moral codes about even the most basic moral transgressions.  One culture's murder is another culture's justice.  While all cultures have morals related to the taking of human life, the substance of the morals are substantially different.  It is the same for all "universal evils."  Theft, sex, lying... all the things that all cultures recognize as being bad in some instances... are viewed through different lenses.  To observe that all cultures have laws and morals is simply to point out that all cultures are big groups of people with conflicting interests.  It doesn't say anything about the transcendence of a prescriptive system.

You really like your moral code, and you seem certain that there's a way to justify at least parts of it as being better than other people's, but other than the emotional insistence that there must be a "best morality," you don't seem to have any factual foundation for making such a strong statement.

It sounds as if you are saying, "There must be a 'best morality' because otherwise, anarchy would result, because everyone would just do whatever they wanted."  Yet, nowhere in the world does anarchy rule, and morals clearly are different in different cultures.

Quote:
This is precisely why a man like Nelson Mandella is so revered. He chose to turn the other cheek and gained moral credibility that catapulted him from political prisoner to political leader.

And yet, in another society, a man who was well known for being a bully and a street brawler was later revered as the savior of the nation when he directed his brutality outward and cruelly killed both civilians and armed soldiers alike.  I'm speaking of Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England.  He was voted one of the top ten Britons of all time, even though not long after his death, the Royalists dug up and defiled his body publicly, and there are still Irish songs about what a horrible man he was.

What I'm trying to show you, Susac, is that you're basing your opinion of what morality objectively is based on your emotional beliefs about what people should be like.  Even so, you can't produce the objective foundation of your own morality, much less demonstrate that without your objective morality, that humanity crumbles into chaos.

You didn't address my question about superorganisms.  Do you know what I'm talking about?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
You got me there DOOMED

You got me there DOOMED SOULThe cake is indeed a pie,  my bad. Thanks !   ..... and the big bad wolf whistled ! .... hey, hey there little red riding hood .....

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:That's

Hambydammit wrote:

That's using the word in the definition, in a sense.  We're trying to get down to what morality actually is, so saying that an ape is non-moral because it can't think about morality is not saying very much.  What, specifically, isn't the ape able to think about?  Apes certainly are able to make predictions about their actions to a certain degree.

I'm not sure that morality is not a matter of degree, since the ape is presumably somewhat aware of the consequences of it's actions.  I was granting that your initail assertion was correct, and that apes' DON'T have morality.  Cetrainly they have rich emotional lives, however we might define them, and are capable of experinecing both suffering and empathy.  So I don't know, maybe apes are moral creatures.

I suppose that one could draw an arbitrarty line and say apes are not people, and morality is about how the needs of people interact with each other (to paraphrase you), but I don't really believe that, since people are accepted to have moral and ethical responsibilities toward animals.

The problem that I'm having with this whole question is that you seem to know what answer you are lookng for.  Why not stop the game playing and just blurt it out?  I'm not stupid, I can judge your ideas as well as you can judge mine.

Quote:
Why would you set out to avoid moral relativism?  Is your purpose to determine the truth, or to prove what you want to be true?

Well, it's sort of a dilemma isn't it?  If you accept moral relativism then you are in the position of saying that everyone's morality is equally valid, even the moralities of those cultures/members of society who say that your moral values are invalid and need to be crushed.  In addition, if you accpet this "equal morality" idea, then you pretty much have taken the stand that valuing moral systems equaly is a higher value than "prejudicial" moral systems, so now you are contradictiong yourself.

The other problem with it is that the holocost is a perfectly valid thing to do if your relative values state that the highest value is to create a tall, blond, blue-eyed group of people is the highest possible good, right?

You can have any single value or group of value that you want, but many cultures DON'T survive, precisely because not all moral systems are equaly functional.  This brings me to superorganisms.  I assume you are referring to the idea that societies function as large organisms, with various functions analogous to the functions of organisms.  This might even result in the idea that as one culture conquors another, it is essentially engaging in a darwinian struggle.  I'm sure that there are several ways to parse this idea, and that not all of them are valid, so please, fill me in to your specific meaning.

Quote:
You've got to get past this false dichotomy thing you do so often.  Why would you assume that because I don't accept a single value as the foundational basis that I don't accept any values?

I see that you do accept values, but you don't talk about what they are, you simply allude to them.  I was not assuming anything, I was asking a question:  How do you (personally) avoid concentration camps as a perfectly acceptable solution to some of life's little problems?  Do you?  There is a neighboring thread about "is genocide imoral?"  I suppose one could argue that genocide is morally neutral, but I personally would never make that arguement.

[quote] You're assuming that this is why they do it.  Scapegoating....

You are assuming that I am assuming.  I'm actually paraphrasing Joseph Campbel.  I think it's probably not the only reason.  My point is that tribal cultures have always engaged in ritual in order to adress some sort of "cosmic balance sheet" that they percieved about the taking of life, and the morality of their actions in the community of both the tribe and the environment as a whole (again, Josehp Campbel).

Quote:
  Why must it transcend the situation? 
  Well it doesn't have to but if it doesn't then the society is fucked.  "Eye for an eye" cultures don't seem to get very far.

[quote ] Look around you.  All societies do hold themselves together, and they do have remarkably different moral codes about even the most basic moral transgressions.  One culture's murder is another culture's justice.  While all cultures have morals related to the taking of human life, the substance of the morals are substantially different.  It is the same for all "universal evils."  Theft, sex, lying... all the things that all cultures recognize as being bad in some instances... are viewed through different lenses.  To observe that all cultures have laws and morals is simply to point out that all cultures are big groups of people with conflicting interests.  It doesn't say anything about the transcendence of a prescriptive system.

See, now looking around me I think that it says EXACTLY that!  It is clear to me that the perscriptive morality of a fundimentalist society causes it to be much more brittle and less adaptable to contact with other cultures and much less able to adapt to changes within the culture that result in progress for the culutre.  In fact, I would say that MOST societies DON'T hold themselves together, and the ones that do are the ones that hold specific values such as the rule of law, systematic justice, seperation of church and state, etc. etc.  In fact, the strength of the athiest community is that we as athiests are trying to make the culture better through the judicious application of reality testing as a value are we not?  I don't know about you, but part of my reason for wanting to do this is because I value my culture and I want to see it survive (albeit in a transformed state).   There are other stable cultural systems to be sure, but there are LOTS of unstable ones, and the moral principals of those cultures have a direct impact on their stability.

This may be an objective "functionalist" measure of the value of a moral principal.

Quote:
You really like your moral code, and you seem certain that there's a way to justify at least parts of it as being better than other people's, but other than the emotional insistence that there must be a "best morality," you don't seem to have any factual foundation for making such a strong statement.

Actually, I have some real problems with my moral code.  Namely, I think that if I have a better developed moral code I might have avoided some unfortunate decisions I have made in my life.  This is why I'm hainging in here with this discussion:  I'm trying to improve my moral reasoning.  That said I do think that some moral stances, principals, codes or whatever you want to call them, are better than others.  I think they lead to better outcomes:  Less suffering, better opportunities to personal and group development, better preservation of both the environment and human life.  I hold these things as "good."  I couldn't tell you why they are "good,"  I just know that when I'm engaged in relationships that support these goals I feel "good."

Quote:
It sounds as if you are saying, "There must be a 'best morality' because otherwise, anarchy would result, because everyone would just do whatever they wanted."  Yet, nowhere in the world does anarchy rule, and morals clearly are different in different cultures.
  No, I don't think there is a "best morality" but I do think that some moral systems are better than others.  I think that democracy is better than facism for example.  Each of these systems of governments have moralistic justifications for them.  The moral code of democracy is a better moral code.  It has lead to better outcomes (so far at least).

Quote:
What I'm trying to show you, Susac, is that you're basing your opinion of what morality objectively is based on your emotional beliefs about what people should be like.  Even so, you can't produce the objective foundation of your own morality, much less demonstrate that without your objective morality, that humanity crumbles into chaos.

Ok, fair enough.  In fact I think I have been saying this all along.  What do YOU do, exactly?

cherrybomb0388
User is offlineOffline
what i think

as far as i can reason it, prostitution is neutral morally, since it is simply the act of sex for money.

whether or not actions associated with, derived from, causing, or because of prostitution are moral or immoral are something that is individually defined. there is no blanket morality, because morality is something that is gained from experience and self reflection and learning. it is not something that is inherent in an individual. what people think is cultural or societal morals are morals that a generally excepted by most of that group's members. note the word most. it is not something that is universal, even in that group.

morality is based on an individuals reaction and feelings for a specific choice. it can only be understood by someone not making the choice when they understand <b>all</b> of that person's morals and circumstances.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susac, I highly recommend

Susac, I highly recommend that you skip down a bit and read the final segment of this post first, then come back and read the earlier responses.  Only after I wrote the whole thing out did it occur to me that I ought to have done it in reverse order. 

Quote:
If you accept moral relativism then you are in the position of saying that everyone's morality is equally valid, even the moralities of those cultures/members of society who say that your moral values are invalid and need to be crushed.

Not really.  I don't think you really mean to say that everyone's morality is equally valid.  I think you mean to say that everyone's morality is equally good.  This, of course, is self-referential, and if morality really is relative, then it's a nonsense thing to say.  Validity, strictly speaking, is just logical coherency.

Logical coherency, however, is what is going to let us make value judgments about a morality belief.

Consider the Christian value that sexual intercourse before marriage is morally wrong.  In order to reach this conclusion, a Christian must hold to the following premises:

1) Morality is tied to God, not to reason.

2) Since consequence ties morality to reason, morality is not tied (inherently) to consequence.

3) Sex, despite anything that science, reason, or individual desire, is wrong because God says so.

This, of course, is internally inconsistent, for we see quite plainly that morality is tied inherently to consequence, and there's no evidence whatsoever that there is a god, or that our moral feelings are arbitrary.  Christian morality about sex is empirically less valid than other systems.

Having said that, without scientific evidence, we cannot make a statement about sex before marriage, and have it be any more valid, but that's not really the point here.  The point is that some moral systems disqualify themselves because of internal inconsistency.  Others, obviously, disqualify themselves because of scientific inaccuracy.  If a certain action is thought to be good because of a certain consequence, and that relationship is proven not to exist, that moral value is invalid.

Quote:
In addition, if you accpet this "equal morality" idea, then you pretty much have taken the stand that valuing moral systems equaly is a higher value than "prejudicial" moral systems, so now you are contradictiong yourself.

For at least the tenth time, I do not accept "equal morality."  If I did, I wouldn't have raked you over the coals about prostitution, would I?

Quote:
I see that you do accept values, but you don't talk about what they are, you simply allude to them.  I was not assuming anything, I was asking a question:  How do you (personally) avoid concentration camps as a perfectly acceptable solution to some of life's little problems?  Do you?  There is a neighboring thread about "is genocide imoral?"  I suppose one could argue that genocide is morally neutral, but I personally would never make that arguement.

I've avoided that thread because the OP has a history of not discussing things.  You're much better at discussions.  I'll get to genocide.  I promise.

Quote:
You are assuming that I am assuming.  I'm actually paraphrasing Joseph Campbel.

Joseph Campbell was qualified to answer questions about myths, not sociobiology or psychology.

Quote:
I think it's probably not the only reason.  My point is that tribal cultures have always engaged in ritual in order to adress some sort of "cosmic balance sheet" that they percieved about the taking of life, and the morality of their actions in the community of both the tribe and the environment as a whole (again, Josehp Campbel).

Fine.  My only point is that we have no reason to believe that tribal societies knew enough about philosophy or biology to be able to accurately assess their own situation.  This observation only proves that people have always known that there is a moral instinct, and they were able to react to it.

Quote:
Well it doesn't have to but if it doesn't then the society is fucked.  "Eye for an eye" cultures don't seem to get very far.

Well, duh.  A little bit of game theory will explain that.  Reciprocal altruism is simply more effective at creating complex and lasting relationships.

Somewhere, Susac, you bought into a bit of religious mythology.  First, you seem certain that morality must be certain, or humans wouldn't be able to form societies.  Second, you seem to believe that morality's function within society is to make things better for everybody.  Big assumption there!

Quote:
In fact, I would say that MOST societies DON'T hold themselves together

WHAT!!??

What could possibly lead you to say that?  Every society on earth is being held together, else it wouldn't be a society, would it?

Quote:
and the ones that do are the ones that hold specific values such as the rule of law, systematic justice, seperation of church and state, etc. etc.

Feh.  Practically the whole Middle East merges church and state.  So does the U.S.  Rule of law and morality are not the same.  Systematic justice is a remarkably recent invention.  You're trying to say that societies who practice these things hold together in terms of individual freedom, or something else you've decided is good, right?  Because you certainly aren't saying that society can't hold together if it doesn't have those things.  We've had many more societies without them than with them.

Quote:
There are other stable cultural systems to be sure, but there are LOTS of unstable ones, and the moral principals of those cultures have a direct impact on their stability.

They're not unstable.  Islam is not just a religion -- it's a culture, and a moral framework, and it's growing faster than anything else on the planet.  In terms of growth, popular acceptance, and memetic virulence, Islam is a hell of a lot "better" than most.  We're getting dangerously close to convoluting things too much.  Law and culture are involved with our moral beliefs, but they are not synonymous.  I'm going to leave this line of discussion because it could get off on a tangent really easily.

Quote:
No, I don't think there is a "best morality" but I do think that some moral systems are better than others.  I think that democracy is better than facism for example.  Each of these systems of governments have moralistic justifications for them.  The moral code of democracy is a better moral code.  It has lead to better outcomes (so far at least).

Ok, then.

Quote:
Ok, fair enough.  In fact I think I have been saying this all along.  What do YOU do, exactly?

The difference between humans and apes is that humans have the ability to conceptualize abstraction.  When an ape is deciding whether or not he's going to attack the silverback, he's projecting, in his limited way, whether or not he can win.  That's it.  He's not thinking that if he wins, he'll be the king.  He just has the instinctive drive to be king, and acts on it when his very limited powers of prediction tell him its a good idea.  An ape is incapable of thinking of peripheral consequences.  If he fails, will he and his gang be kicked out?  Would it be better to bide his time and help his neighbor, who is younger, but probably will be stronger than the silverback in a year's time?  If he succeeds, what will become of the ten children the silverback has recently sired?

With the ability to conceptualize abstraction comes the ability to assign and weigh relative values.  (Here's what you've been waiting for!) Morality, then, is simply the mental box we reserve for the conceptualized abstraction of peripheral consequences.  We got smart enough to realize that when we do something now, it has predictable consequences in the future, beyond the immediate consequence of the action.

Humans, like all colony creatures, function on two very distinct levels:  individual and superorganism.  Until very recently, evolutionary scientists thought pretty much all of the mechanisms of natural selection functioned on the individual level.  This individual competes against its peers, its environment, etc, and the best individuals survive, and individual survival dynamics create the colonial dynamics.  This view doesn't explain many things, though.  Suicide, war, voluntary celibacy, and many other counter-intuitive behaviors simply defy the individual model.  Therefore, reasoned the scientists, humans are obviously deficient when they behave in a manner that defies individualism.   (Thus, the now-defeated assumption that science could justify absolute morality!)

The problem with this is that it only creates another vacuum.  What made humans deficient?  Without creating another hole, there's no way to answer that.  If humans are deficient creatures, we ought not be here, right?  We should have been selected out of the system long before now, and yet, we are incredibly successful!  It just doesn't gel.  Superorganism dynamics, on the other hand, elegantly and simply answer the questions of otherwise puzzling behaviors.

There was a remarkable study conducted with ants, in which it was discovered that a certain percentage, we'll say 5% because I don't want to look it up, were essentially slackers and ne'er-do-wells.  They would march along a quarter of the way to the food, then turn around and march right back, and repeat this process until there was enough food that they could go mooch a meal that they hadn't worked for.  The researchers carefully removed all of the slackers, and lo and behold, 5% of the remaining colony became slackers.  No matter how they divided the colony, the number of slackers remained constant.  More surprising, an individual's propensity to become a slacker appeared to have no relationship to the quality of its work before.  [EDIT:  Oh, slackers would also go back to work if the percentages demanded it.  They were not "terminally lazy."  Sound like human society?]

Since this experiment, the same kinds of dynamics have been observed in hundreds of colonial animals.  There are some behaviors that are part of the culture, and are clearly not the result of individual failings.  There's a lot more evidence, but I'm trying to be as brief as possible.  The bottom line is that colonial individuals instinctively mold to the group.  It's not the other way around.  Humans are no different.  (This is why you need to read The Authoritarian Specter.  People are instinctively programmed to conform, not to be "good individuals."  The implications of all this for atheism are less than thrilling to me, but I digress.)

The implications for morality are pretty clear.  Game theory explains reciprocal altruism very effectively.  Reciprocal altruism is what makes societies function, plain and simple.  Even when the rules are not consciously known, they are followed, because those individuals who followed them were more reproductively successful.  When we learned to abstract, we began codifying things that we already knew instinctively.  Don't kill your own kind, for anarchy results.  Don't steal from your neighbor, for he is your safety net in times of need.

The thing is, as you've pointed out, these things just don't work all the time.  Sometimes, you need to kill the king because he's an asshole and is hurting lots of people.  Sometimes, you either starve or steal.  As societies started getting huge, and people began to learn a lot more about themselves, the complexities of human interactions became much more pronounced, and our basic instincts became insufficient to intuitively know how to behave in a situation.  When we started coming up with ideas like equal rights and inherent rights, it got even worse.  Obviously, equality is not really equality, and it's inherently unfair to many people.  Inherent rights only go so far, and then they conflict with other people's inherent rights.  Furthermore, no matter how good an idea it seems to be to give everyone a fair shake, precious few people ever behave as if its a good idea.  Religion attempted to solve the problem by providing everybody a single code, but that only made the problem much worse by taking away people's incentive to think for themselves and make decisions based on individual circumstances.

Morality is an ancient, instinctive conceptualization of basic tribal survival.  Human society is FAR too complex for our instincts to be right much of the time.  When social behaviors become farther and farther removed from caveman behaviors, our instincts become less and less effective, but humans are also instinctively programmed to want mental boxes for everything, so we still instinctively love to label actions as good or bad.

In short, people conceptualize behavior using a caveman system applied to a monstrously complicated matrix of overlapping ideals and goals ill-fitted to our brains.  On the one hand, we rationally justify a certain goal as good, and seek to model our behavior to reach that end, even though doing so commits us to a model that necessarily minimizes the chances to achieve another rationally justifiable goal.  The best that most of us ever do is try (instinctively) to pick out the most appropriate goal and (instinctively) guess what the best course of action is.

Ok, so when ask if genocide is wrong, there are two ways that we can answer.  First, we can appeal to morality, which as we've just seen, is not particularly good for answering questions about modern society.  We'll end up with a circular argument.  Why is it morally wrong?  Because it's bad to kill.  Why is it bad to kill?  Because it is... except when you need to...  So if you need, genocide is ok?  No... it's wrong!  Why?... etc, ad nauseum.

The second thing we can do is a little more uncomfortable at first, but it is better in the end.  Anybody can do anything they can do.  There will be consequences, and we can weigh consequences against goals and beliefs.  Individuals' right to life can be rationalized very simply.  If I kill you, that's great for me, but if everyone can kill anyone, I'm very likely to be killed myself.  A better system is one in which nobody kills anyone.  In subscribing to this, I give up the "right" to kill you, but I gain far more by protecting my own life.  If I go on a crusade and kill an entire race of people, bully for me, but I can't kill everyone in the world, and the odds that someone will get a bigger army together and massacre me and all of my armies is very high.  Without appealing to the suffering of individuals, we can easily reason why, in principle, it's a bad idea to commit genocide.

The same works for suffering, too.  The same game theory that treats killing as a simple act applies to the reduction of suffering.  If we all agree to minimize suffering, everyone will suffer less.  Since nobody likes to suffer, it's obvious that it's better to do this.  You don't have to follow a moral code to not kill lots of people.  You just have to be aware of very simple cause/effect relationships.  (That's the thing about Christian morality that's so fucked up.  Christians profess to believe that people act morally in spite of their nature, when in reality, the majority of people act morally precisely because of their nature.)

The uncomfortable part of this approach to morality is that you must accept the fact that moral codes do not prevent immorality.  If a man is going to commit genocide, a stern morality lecture by the pope isn't likely to change his mind.  He has rationalized his goal as being above morality, so a moral lesson isn't going to help.  Quite simply, people do both good and bad things, and the existence of moral codes has never, nor will it ever, actually do anything to prevent immorality.  It is simply a measure by which we can effectively talk about people.  You know this to be true.  You don't convince a patient to do something because it's morally right.  You convince him to do it because it's logical for him to do it.

The lesson of the ants teaches us that "immorality" is also a function of the superorganism.  There are individual behaviors that are not logically good if you're using abstract reasoning.  Nevertheless, they occur, and they obviously serve a purpose on a group level.  (What is that purpose, you might ask?)  The single most effective way to unite a disparate group of individuals is to form an us/them division.  Common enemies unite people who used to be foes.  In other words, the superorganism, which is unconsciously trying to assert itself over other superorganisms, benefits from internal divisions which unite the majority of the population.  We see this in politics all the time.  Use the small percentage of homosexuals as a community punching bag, and suddenly, you have a united political front, and can go fight a war -- also a very natural course of action for a superorganism.

Regardless of how liberal or conservative a society is, deviant behavior remains remarkably consistent, just like the slacker ants.  Immorality, then, is not so much a measure of an individual's absolute worth as it is a reflection of the superorganism's overall state.

Can we say that an action is moral or immoral, then?  Sort of.  We can say that an action is going to cause more harm than good, and is therefore immoral, but we have to remember that we're always making a reference to an unspoken goal.  Is it immoral to kill your own countrymen?  Yes, unless you happen to be a revolutionary who believes that instituting a better government is a better goal than being loyal to your country.  If that's the case, it's immoral to obey orders.

The foundation for morality, then, is something of a misnomer.  The foundations of morality are sometimes (often?) conflicting sets of ideals, stemming from intensely complicated social networks.  An act can be both moral and immoral, and it can be neutral.  (Whether you hold your fork in your left or right hand is very unlikely to matter in most places.)  For that matter, it can be neutral and moral and immoral!  It's good for you to protect your country against invaders, even though it's bad to kill a man and leave his wife and children homeless, even though it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, because you were drafted, and don't have a choice!

So, back to the OP (miraculously!)  Is prostitution immoral?  Yes, no, and N/A, and the answer to the question is completely irrelevant, for only reason will effectively convince someone either to do it or not.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah... a few more quick

Oh yeah... a few more quick answers...

Q: Why do people feel bad when they do bad things, if it's all about reason?

A: Because it's not all about reason.  Reciprocal altruism is programmed into us genetically, and the way genes discourage contrary behavior is by programming negative consequences.  Guilt and remorse suck, so we try to avoid them. 

Q: So, what, exactly does morality do?

A: Pretty much nothing.  Our instincts lead us to form societies, which must have moral contracts, or they wouldn't exist.  Within societies, a certain amount of deviance will exist, and no amount of pontification will help.  Most everyone will be good most of the time, and a few will be bad, and hack philosophers will blather on about morality.

Q: Doesn't having a moral code help people know what to do?

A: Yes and no.  People can be reprogrammed to realign their inherent beliefs, and they will act differently because they believe differently.  But this isn't morality -- it's belief systems about reality that necessitate certain actions.  In other words, you can tell me all day that I shouldn't have sex before marriage, but until you justify that statement by telling me that God will smite me if I do, I will continue to act the way I want.  By changing my beliefs about reality, you can change the results of my cause/effect calculations.  The morality doesn't change, the perception of reality changes.

Q: That's awfully fatalistic, isn't it?  Morality doesn't really exist, and humans will do as humans will do?

Well, I personally believe that human instinct trumps reason almost all the time, but collective reason over time does improve things.  Again, reason and human prosperity/happiness/etc aren't hard to unite, so as science continues to learn about human nature, it stands to reason that our collective attitudes to human interactions will also improve somewhat, but yes, there will always be murder and rape and suffering, no matter how good a model of reality we construct in society's mind.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So right on Hamby, and

So right on Hamby, and thanks really for all your posts.

I AM a moral guy, who could be delighted to pay a happily willing girl of agreeable age to have the privilege of intense mind boggling orgasm, while hopefully experiencing the  satisfaction of inducing  multiple screaming wild orgasms of joyful delightful pleasure in my partner, while taking the necessary precautions not to spread STDs and unwanted pregnancy or the heart break of a jealous attached other, because like I said, I AM moral.

However, I AM against a law ??? So fuck the prostitution laws as now written ..... 

Set the girls free from the chains of shame, so that we guys will be free too ..... stop being fools of senseless quilt, control and fearful feelings of sexual inadequacy  .....   

I tell my 22 yr old daughter that when she wants a guy to just go ask him if he'd like to be one of HER many "slaves" that she may dismiss at her will ..... Break the ancient chains I explain to her .... because I AM a moral loving guy and a devoted father.

BTW , I have never so called, paid a hooker, or even went a looking for one, but I have loved a few ......  Don't even go telling me that I can't .... I might even decide to give a gal my entire wealth for a little hanky panky  ..... 

Kill religion poison  ..... give the hookers a tip and some loving caring advise .....

monkee
monkee's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regulation and taxation would be a good idea. But do you really

I love whore mucking!

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Awesome post Hamby, my hat

Awesome post Hamby, my hat is off to you.  How much of that was from the Authoritarian Specter?  I'm ordering the book through Amazon.

Ok, some question then: 

1)  Given that social constraints are one of the biggest logical consequences of behavior (i.e. don't do genocide because someone will kill you if you do), what are the roles of social institutions in this superorganism, and how do you maintain a system of checks and balances to prevent specific social impulses from running rampant (such as Nazi domination, or the hippie movement for examples)?  Or do you even worry about that?  Do you just let the things work themselves out with all the bloodletting that that might entail?  After all, Hitler's power was checked and he was killed.

On the other hand, there are societies and systems of government (superorganisms) that are capable of doing much better for themselves and their people.  Democracy vs. Dictatorship for example.  Democracy is an order of magnitude more powerful than a dictatorship, but dictatorships. 

2)  How do the stages of moral development fit into all this, and do they apply to superorganisms as well as individuals?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Awesome post Hamby, my

Quote:
Awesome post Hamby, my hat is off to you.  How much of that was from the Authoritarian Specter?  I'm ordering the book through Amazon.

Thank you.

Not too much was from TAS, actually.  However, the research on authoritarianism is very strong supporting evidence for what I'm saying.  Essentially, the reason I'm asking you to read it is that if you already understand this model of morality, everything just starts lining up as you read.

Quote:
1)  Given that social constraints are one of the biggest logical consequences of behavior (i.e. don't do genocide because someone will kill you if you do), what are the roles of social institutions in this superorganism, and how do you maintain a system of checks and balances to prevent specific social impulses from running rampant (such as Nazi domination, or the hippie movement for examples)?  Or do you even worry about that?  Do you just let the things work themselves out with all the bloodletting that that might entail?  After all, Hitler's power was checked and he was killed.

I'm not sure how to answer this because I'm not sure what you're asking.  I don't do anything about it because I live in a little suburb of a small town, and have enough trouble saving for my retirement.  As for what superorganisms do to prevent it, they seek to prevent things that will destroy themselves.  In other words, if there's a genocide in, say, Rwanda (superorganism), it's very unlikely that the United States (superorganism) or even Europe (superorganism) will do much about it, because Rwanda's impact on any of the other superorganisms is slight.  However, if there's a coup in, oh... I don't know... Iraq... suddenly all the other superorganisms are interested.  Our tolerance for genocide is directly proportional to the impact it has on us.

Yeah, a lot of people were upset about Rwanda, but it didn't generate much superorganism activity.  This is where you can begin to see how superorganism vs organism mechanics work.  If I spend my life raising money to send to Rwanda, it doesn't particularly effect the U.S.  I'm raising money here, and what little I send won't really affect anything.  I'm technically a deviant because I'm doing something that the majority of my superorganism doesn't care about.  I'm one of the lazy ants.

Does that answer your question?  If not, maybe you need to ask it another way.

Quote:
On the other hand, there are societies and systems of government (superorganisms) that are capable of doing much better for themselves and their people.  Democracy vs. Dictatorship for example.  Democracy is an order of magnitude more powerful than a dictatorship, but dictatorships.

Islam is a very powerful superorganism.  It's individuals suffer greatly.  They are very poor.  Women are brutalized and subjugated.  Individuals are poorly educated, and live in constant fear of their lives.  Always remember that superorganisms don't care about individuals, anymore than you care about a single cell in your body.  Only when the body stops functioning because enough cells are dying do we get worried.

Quote:
2)  How do the stages of moral development fit into all this, and do they apply to superorganisms as well as individuals?

That's a very good question.  I don't know.

Authoritarians tend to fall into the second tier of Kohlberg, and they also tend to make very good leaders, so I'm not sure what that says about the superorganism.  Like I said before, I don't totally buy into the stages.  I tend to think of them more as descriptions of various conceptualizations, not really a progression.  In other words, I think Kohlberg was overstepping his data when he suggested that humans are supposed to progress that way, or even that they necessarily do.

I've got to run now.  I'll think about this question more.

Books about atheism

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 The thing I like about

The thing I like about your post # 162 is that it provides a workable model for conceptualizing how human behavior operates. I do have some reservations though the more I think about it. First off, if one accepts that morality is an idealized set of values (which is one definition of morality,  a-la Wikipedia), then this model says nothing about values. So I’m gonna speculate here a bit. It seems to me that the “dual level” of operation that people work on (individual/super-organism) create an often conflicting value system within the individual (again, this is consistent with observation), and individual values usually operate in a manner consistent with the super-organism, but when they DO deviate from it, conflict arises.   Examples of this might be the civil rights movement or the underground-railroad. These sub-routines within the culture do have transformative power, and individuals can have significant impact on the flow of history. One thing that slacker ants CAN’T do is provide feedback to the super-organism changing its status quo. I think that human deviates can and DO do this. The other problem that I see with it is that it is entirely dependent on social consequences to make it work. I have heard that the definition of “military discipline” is when you do the right thing when no one is watching. I think there is something to be said for this. While the deviant 5% of the ants may be slackers, there are still plenty of ants who go on acting according to program even when the hive is not “watching.” In humans, this sort of pro-social behavior is considered a virtue (perhaps precisely because it supports the super-organism).  If one projects this idea onto the super-organism, is there any reason for a culture NOT to commit genocide upon another culture if it can get away with it? I can easily imagine that consuming the other culture and absorbing its functional sub-programs is often a better way to go, but what about leaving it alone? Granted that Star Trek’s “Prime Directive” is born of an idealized culture (and that it’s not really a functional goal to begin with). Why would a super-organism exercise “military discipline?” I suppose that with modern communication technology, the question is really moot, since someone is always watching. I think that there is still a strong biological component to even the behavior of cultures. People use rituals for a reason. They help us cope with the personal transformations that culture demands of us. We need them to help us overcome our instinctual responses. It’s not an accident (for example) that Christian missionaries were on the forefront of the European conquest of the new world – they were needed both to indoctrinate new-world cultures into the old-world cultures, and they were also needed to provide moral justification for the destruction of indigenous cultures.  This is an example of religion and ritual serving the function of helping individuals overcome their instinctive aversion to killing (something that religion has always been extremely good at). If the only checks on the behavior of cultures is the power of other cultures, do they then achieve a sort of “super-super-organism?” Actually, let’s call it a “super-duper-organism” just for fun. I can see that with the advent of the internet and satellite technology, this super-duper-organism has developed a nervous system of sorts, and if we could come up with a universal translator program, we would REALLY be in business. This concept is further explored here: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/GBRAIN-L.html An interesting side note of this concept is that I can see that throughout history people have attributed the (often functional) norms of the super-organism with the “the will of God.” It’s God’s will that women be subservient to men, until the industrial revolution comes along, and we move from an agrarian culture, then all of a sudden God has changed his mind. It’s God’s will that kings rule, the nobles, and that the nobles rule the surfs, etc. Freud’s idea that “God is dad” is only part of the picture. God is also that which we call the invisible hand of culture in our lives.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:One thing that slacker

Quote:
One thing that slacker ants CAN’T do is provide feedback to the super-organism changing its status quo. I think that human deviates can and DO do this.

I don't see this as a problem.  The reason the ant can't provide feedback is that ants don't have a language capable of viral meme transmission.  If I were building this model from scratch, with no knowledge of human behavior patterns, I think I would predict that deviant humans would have the ability to change the superorganism from within.

Quote:
The other problem that I see with it is that it is entirely dependent on social consequences to make it work.

No, it's not.  When you were telling me about how you always observe intrinsic guilt or shame in prostitutes, you were answering this objection.  Our moral sense -- our conscience, if you like -- is our genes' way of encouraging social behaviors.  Just as humans crave sweets because sugars are the best indicator of safe, ripe fruit, we also crave social bonds and social approval because these are the glue of society.  Our innate moral sense doesn't do abstract.  This, I believe, is why the notion that morality is absolute is so ubiquitous.  People notice that their conscience doesn't care about rationalizations.  When they steal something, they feel bad, even if they know it's the best thing to do.

The reality is that our conscience is often wrong when there's a complex social problem to solve.  Think of how many women you've seen who know intellectually that they need to cut all ties with their asshole boyfriends, but they feel so guilty about hurting him that they won't do it.

Social consequences, then, are one of two main "enforcers" of society.  Even when we're alone, we usually do the right thing because of our conscience.  (Consider that when we're alone, we're much less likely to be facing a complex situation.  It's usually pretty straightforward.  Therefore, conscience is going to be correct more often.)

Remember, my premise is that humans are not inherently rational, and that it takes an act of will to overcome our instincts.  The prediction, then, would be that most people would succumb to conscience, even when reason might allow them to do things that are socially wrong.

Quote:
While the deviant 5% of the ants may be slackers, there are still plenty of ants who go on acting according to program even when the hive is not “watching.” In humans, this sort of pro-social behavior is considered a virtue (perhaps precisely because it supports the super-organism).

Yes.  I believe that human stats also bear this pattern out, with more wiggle room because of viral memes.  I think if you put 100 people in a situation where they believed themselves to be unobserved, and they have a choice to act pro-socially or anti-socially, I believe most would act pro-socially.  My memory is fuzzing on this one, but I believe I've seen studies that demonstrate exactly this, but I can't recall for sure.

Quote:
If one projects this idea onto the super-organism, is there any reason for a culture NOT to commit genocide upon another culture if it can get away with it?

Well, superorganisms don't exist in a vacuum, so there's always some other reason not to do it.  I think history is pretty clear, though.  When a superorganism gets it into its collective head that another race needs to go, they tend to go ahead and do it.

This is where we have to be extremely careful not to include our own normative ideas in the model.  We're trying to ascertain what people are, not what they should be.  I believe that war, genocide, and destructive impulses are part of what it is to be human.  I believe that we should make it as difficult as possible for one group to destroy another, but this is another discussion entirely.

Quote:
I can easily imagine that consuming the other culture and absorbing its functional sub-programs is often a better way to go

It worked very well for the Romans for quite a few centuries.

Quote:
but what about leaving it alone?

If you leave your neighbor too alone, he builds a big army and comes over to kill you and rape your women.

Superorganisms must be interested in their neighbors.  This is natural selection at work.

Quote:
Why would a super-organism exercise “military discipline?” I suppose that with modern communication technology, the question is really moot, since someone is always watching.

It's actually been moot for as long as anyone can tell.  Before industrialization, communities were much smaller, and people were still always under scrutiny.  In the 1800s, it was not uncommon for a church sermon to literally call out a parishioner because the nosy neighbor noticed that one of the daughters had a guest after dinner.

Basically, people have always been in each others' business.

Quote:
I think that there is still a strong biological component to even the behavior of cultures. People use rituals for a reason. They help us cope with the personal transformations that culture demands of us. We need them to help us overcome our instinctual responses. It’s not an accident (for example) that Christian missionaries were on the forefront of the European conquest of the new world – they were needed both to indoctrinate new-world cultures into the old-world cultures, and they were also needed to provide moral justification for the destruction of indigenous cultures.  This is an example of religion and ritual serving the function of helping individuals overcome their instinctive aversion to killing (something that religion has always been extremely good at).

Yes.  The personal moral (don't kill your neighbor) is often in conflict with the superorganism moral (We need more land!!  We are so successful that we might starve!!)  I don't think it's hard to make the argument that from a superorganism point of view, religion and myth have been the primary memes that have allowed the most successful superorganisms to remain cohesive and directed.

This begs the question of just how tied to our instincts we are, and whether or not it's even possible for enough deviants (atheists, freethinkers, etc...) to change the course of human society and stave off some of the natural atrocities that humans impose upon each other.

This is getting a bit speculative, and I ask that it be considered accordingly.  I believe that humans are virtually slaves to their natures.  I think that if you show me a society that has X, Y, and Z rituals, beliefs, and cultural norms, I'll show you a culture that has adapted these norms because of superorganism dynamics that were beyond any individual's control.  I also believe that like individual organisms, some superorganisms survive, and others die out.  I don't think it's evolution, per se, though I know some people would argue that it is.  American Indians died, not so much because their superorganism was flawed, but because of an unpredictable encounter with another superorganism that carried nasty microorganisms.  Bad luck, really.

Quote:
If the only checks on the behavior of cultures is the power of other cultures, do they then achieve a sort of “super-super-organism?” Actually, let’s call it a “super-duper-organism” just for fun. I can see that with the advent of the internet and satellite technology, this super-duper-organism has developed a nervous system of sorts, and if we could come up with a universal translator program, we would REALLY be in business. This concept is further explored here: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/GBRAIN-L.html

Crike.  I haven't seen that website before.  I suppose that global influence could someday achieve super-duper-organism status.  It's not something I've spent much time considering.  It's definitely an interesting idea.  Let's hope it isn't a religious super-duper-organism.

Quote:
An interesting side note of this concept is that I can see that throughout history people have attributed the (often functional) norms of the super-organism with the “the will of God.”

A box of cigars to the man in the front row!

Quote:
It’s God’s will that women be subservient to men, until the industrial revolution comes along, and we move from an agrarian culture, then all of a sudden God has changed his mind. It’s God’s will that kings rule, the nobles, and that the nobles rule the surfs, etc. Freud’s idea that “God is dad” is only part of the picture. God is also that which we call the invisible hand of culture in our lives.

And so, ironically, the hand of a nonexistent God has been the driving force of human culture.  I say this only because I think you and I are the only people still reading this thread, and no theists can post anyway, but I believe that religion was an evolutionary development in humans, and that without it, we would not have been able to build the world we have today.  The question, of course, is whether or not the God concept is still necessary, or whether new memes can take its place and still leave a functional superorganism.  I believe so, and I often cite the statistics indicating that secular nations are healthier than nonsecular.  One could also ask whether or not the development of this world we have today is a good thing.  Many, including myself, believe that humans are so successful that we're going to drive ourselves extinct.  This is a whole different discussion, though.

Books about atheism

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Hamby, I would like to

Hamby, I would like to introduce you to an idea that I discovered in my studies of clinical psych: Neurolinguistic Programming. If I were to ask you to remember a place where you were really completely relaxed, when you could just feel that relaxation through every cell in your body, and just remember that… What if you could feel what you felt, see what you saw, hear what you heard, and smell what you smelled…. How surprised would you be to realize that as you just do that, you notice that your breathing is getting slower and deeper, and your body was getting just a little bit more relaxed….  Ok, so that’s a very weak hypnotic induction to help you to relax a little bit. Did it work? Even a little bit? Some people are more suggestible than others. Anyway there are 5 basic processes that you want to get into with a good hypnotic induction:Imagination: The more you can get someone to access their imagination (or memory) they more tranced-out they become.Artful Vagueness: Notice that the above induction is very non-specific. It invites you to fill in the details with your own memories and imagination. Because it’s already your own thoughts, it makes it harder to resist.Metaphor: There is a double-andante in the word “place” is it a real place or a metaphorical “place” as in a situation? Bypass critical thinking: The phrase “how surprised would you be to realize…” invites the reader to “make it real, outside of your critical awareness”  (hence the surprise). Trance Words: “Remember” is a word that invites you to enter your memory/imagination. These are called “trance words” as a term of art. OK, now think about God. God is the alpha and the omega. The creator of the universe, separate and yet a part. There is NO WAY to think about God without stretching your imagination as big as it can go!If I ask 100 people what they think god is, I’ll get 100 different answers. Therefore, god is artfully vague.God is the ultimate metaphor.  To quote Joseph Campbell god is a metaphor for the great mystery of existence.God is magical. He works miracles. He has always been and will always be. He thus bypasses critical thinking,In light of all of this, I would submit to you that  God is a trance word. You can’t believe in god and think about God without putting yourself in a trance.  In fact, atheists might just be people who have broken out of the trance. Now ask yourself: How powerful would you be if you could program the behavior of people who were taught across generations to believe in this magical construct? What more do you need to explain the power of religious memes? They are built on our natural tendency to be programmed through hypnosis. I believe that the above info is a quick crude unpacking of how that process works. This post is a synopsis of a speech that I have given from time to time on “the psychology of religion.” What I do is I get a volunteer from the audience and I do a language pattern on them that shows the audience how I can actually program their emotional responses so that If I just touch their wrist they are flooded with emotion (in a way that is clear to the audience because their behavior changes), then I bring this home to the idea that God is a trance word that has been used on them by religious leaders all their lives. I either get a lot of praise or hatred for this speech, so I am careful when and where to give it, but it packs a pretty good punch. I went into our local maga-church to find out what they were doing that was drawing such huge crowds. I listened to the sermon, and here this guy was using NLP on the crowd! Afterward I complimented him on his sermon, and asked if he heard of NLP. He said, uh….uh….NO, NLP, what’s that? BUSTED!!!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hamby, I would like to

Quote:

Hamby, I would like to introduce you to an idea that I discovered in my studies of clinical psych: Neurolinguistic Programming.
 Uh oh...  I'm quite familiar with NLP... 
Quote:
I either get a lot of praise or hatred for this speech, so I am careful when and where to give it, but it packs a pretty good punch.
 I'm extraordinarily hesitant to buy into the idea of NLP.  For one thing, I haven't seen any good research on it, primarily because ten different proponents of it will have ten different descriptions of what it actually is, and how it functions, and even then, much of the description is unscientifically vague.  For instance, it's been well documented that certain kinds of hypnotic states can be triggered by inflection, regardless of the words being used.  People who are good at NLP might simply be good at inducing slight hypnotic states through inflection.  To my knowledge, there's never been a controlled test for this. Having said that, I conditionally agree with you that God-belief is a sort of trance-like state.  People who are viciously good at logic miss the obvious when thinking about God, almost as if their brain has lulled them into bypassing their logic circuits.  It's worth noting that people who are infatuated with someone, or "in lust" are significantly worse at reasoning than when they are not infatuated.  Perhaps there is a similar effect in theists. As a business owner, I know first hand the power of words, and the subtle manipulation that is possible.  When I teach people to wait tables, I try to teach them to take control of the customer and make the customer want to spend more money and enjoy the things he didn't even know he wanted.  This is not hypnosis, of course.  It's using people's existing "programming" by hitting certain triggers.  There's a really neat anecdote about a restaurant in New York that conducted an experiment.  For one week, the waiters had a certain script, and the next week, they had a slightly different script.  Other than that, service was identical.  During the first week, the questions waiters asked were in this form:  "Was your steak cooked properly, sir?"  During the second week, they were like this:  "Was the steak cooked to your liking, Mr. So-and So?" Not surprisingly, the second set of questions garnered better tips, and the patrons reported more satisfactory experiences.  The second set of questions focused not on some external concept of a properly cooked steak, but on the waiter's desire to make everything exactly the way this individual customer wanted it.  Perhaps more importantly, when names are appropriately used, they are extremely powerful.  All sales training courses teach people how to use names effectively.  So anyway, it's not surprising that tips were better, but even the experimenters were surprised at how much better they were... 20% on average. Consider this scenario.  A couple comes in to a fine dining restaurant and is seated.  The waiter brings them a wine menu, gives a short introduction and leaves.  No water is on the table.  The couple sits for several minutes, noticing the lack of water, but they are not yet concerned.  When the waiter returns, he asks if they have decided on wine.  Whether they have or haven't, the waiter begins to leave again with no mention of water.  Usually, at this point, the man will ask if they can have water.  The waiter graciously replies, "Of course, sir.  Would you prefer Perrier or  Voss?"  At this point, the man has two choices.  Act like a cheapskate and ask for tap water, or order an expensive bottled water.  Before appetizers have been ordered, $8 has been added to the bill.  In most cases, the man will not even consider or even think about the first choice.  He's at a fine dining restaurant.  You're supposed to splurge.  Nothing but the best, of course!  The waiter, if he has done this correctly, will have convinced the patron that he is so highly regarded that it would be unthinkable to offer him tap water! This is the same kind of language manipulation that preachers use all the time.  I have no doubt whatsoever that many are also inducing a slight hypnotic state in the audience.  In fact, I'm pretty much sure that in those churches where people are regularly "slain in the spirit" that some sort of mass hypnosis is involved.  I've seen those services, and there's definitely a kind of pattern to the preacher's voice that is reminiscent of hypnosis.  I've also seen those stage show hypnotists.  Unfortunately, this is not an area where I have much expertise, so it's hard for me to say anything definitive.  My best opinion is that there seems to be something to it, but I'm not sure exactly what, and I'm hard pressed to say that NLP explains it adequately. 

Books about atheism

Susac
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm extraordinarily

Quote:

I'm extraordinarily hesitant to buy into the idea of NLP.  For one thing, I haven't seen any good research on it, primarily because ten different proponents of it will have ten different descriptions of what it actually is, and how it functions, and even then, much of the description is unscientifically vague. 
 Yeah, I totally understand this stance.  Frankly it drives me crazy the sort of woo-woo pop psychology that get's thrown into the NLP hopper sometimes.  I have attended NLP trainings and I have learned some effective and powerful hypnosis techniques, but then you get to talking with the other members of the class and with the teacher and 75% of them are proposing bizzarre ideas like "Quantum Psychology" and other such crap, that I frankly dispair that the practice will ever be taken seriously as a field of study. Honestly, the new-age, pop-psychology movment has done more harm to my profession than religion ever could.  The thing is, there really are observable, replicable phenomen that CAN be studdied in NLP.  They just get so wrapped up in the woo-woo crap that they tend to get thrown out with the bath water by academia.  And of course, you are right:  NLP is really just an umbrella term that is used to describe a "tool box" of techniques, that are often related and often distinct from each other, so there is no clear definition of the practice.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
R.A.H.

Susac wrote:

Is a prostitute immoral? Well, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Same thing for a politician, same thing for a business leader, and for a counselor and for a guy who runs an atheist website. We all have opportunities to violate our personal principals and values in our lives, and we all take these opportunities sometimes. This is a different issue than “is prostitution immoral?” Prostitution is an institution and a behavior, not a person. I have expressed my opinion on an institution and behavior, not on a person. I have met immoral people, some of them were prostitutes, some of them were not.  All of them were sociopaths and antisocial personalities.

R. Heinlein wrote:
A whore should be judged by the same criteria as other professionals offering services for pay -- such as dentists, lawyers, hairdressers, physicians, plumbers, etc. Is she professionally competent? Does she give good measure? Is she honest with her clients? It is possible that the percentage of honest and competent whores is higher than that of plumbers and much higher than that of lawyers. And enormously higher than that of professors.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Prostitution should be

Prostitution should be decriminalized, legalized, regulated, discouraged and then abolished, in my opinion. I cannot imagine how people would want to put themselves at such risk of their own volition. And apart from the whole emotional "you should not give your body away like that" thing (which is just my opinion and therefore not really important), prostitution IS risky business: diseases, unsavoury customers, and I won't even start about the crime that might get and keep people into this trade.