3 Year Old Hates Jesus

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
Posts: 153
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
3 Year Old Hates Jesus

I came across this article and wanted to know your opinion:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0900/jchate.html

Also, could someone tell me if their site (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/) is for real? I mean just a glance at their articles and beliefs really sent a chill up my spine...

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
i only read the one article,

i only read the one article, but it seems entirely satirical to me


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
(chuckle) check out the

(chuckle)

 

check out the store!

http://www.cafepress.com/landoverbaptist

this really has got to be satire Smiling

love the intelligunt desine shirt Smiling

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2007-11-04
User is offlineOffline
 They've been around

 They've been around forever and they are a parody.

 


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
  Good jesus, bad jesus,

  Good jesus, bad jesus, good buddha, bad buddha, good science, bad science .....      ying yang ....


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Ya that's sites a parody.The

Ya that's sites a parody.The first time I saw it though I was pretty freaked out,brfore I knew.


albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
Posts: 153
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
So it's a parody then? Damn,

So it's a parody then? Damn, I'm glad. when I read this other article in their page, it made me want to beat the god gene out of someone:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/2008/february/menstruatingpolicy.html

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.


ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
Posts: 115
Joined: 2006-02-22
User is offlineOffline
Don't miss...

The offshoot of Landover Baptist, Betty Bowers: America's Best Christian

It's actually the highest compliment for a parody site to be confused with the real deal... although it's really difficult not to be a tad frightened by the fact that despite their over-the-top ridiculousness, Landover & Betty Bowers are nearly indistinguishable from many valid fundagelical sites!

 

[edit to add:] "Teddy Ruxpin" was the name of a talking teddy bear that came out in the 80s (at least I think it was the 80s... I was pretty high for most of that decade, so I could be wrong!). You're probably not old enough to remember him, so that particular tip-off to it being satire likely escaped you.

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3932
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't sound too far off

Doesn't sound too far off from Catholic school.

Reminds me of my former boss's sign in his office:

The beatings will continue until moral improves.

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
Posts: 1484
Joined: 2007-03-18
User is offlineOffline
That article did scare me.

That article did scare me. I'm so glad that's a parody. They're speaking about blatant child abuse as if its righteous.


ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
Posts: 115
Joined: 2006-02-22
User is offlineOffline
What's being parodied is beyond scary...

Check this out:

James Dobson and religiously motivated child abuse

Dobson's built an empire fleecing believers and teaching them how to beat their children into submission, and into being good little Christians. It's sickening.

Back in the early 90s I worked for a stockbroker who managed quite a bit of Dobson's investment money (millions of dollars at that time - and I'm quite sure the money he had with us was only a small portion of his wealth). The broker, of course, was on the Focus on the Family mailing list. Since I got all the broker's mail before he did, I'd read the FOF newsletters - and in fact what I found within their pages increased my commitment to exposing fundamentalist Christians as the monsters they truly are, and showing their beliefs as the sick, twisted and hateful bases upon which they justify misogyny, child abuse and willful ignorance as simply "living biblically."

People like Dobson make it very, very difficult for me not to HATE my fellow human beings who subscribe to this kind of insanity; especially in the name of a "loving God."

(albedo_00: just LOVE your sig... Lenore rules!)

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
albedo_00 wrote:I came

albedo_00 wrote:

I came across this article and wanted to know your opinion:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0900/jchate.html

Also, could someone tell me if their site (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/) is for real? I mean just a glance at their articles and beliefs really sent a chill up my spine...

You just pwn3d yourself. 


albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
Posts: 153
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:Check

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:

Check this out:

James Dobson and religiously motivated child abuse

Dobson's built an empire fleecing believers and teaching them how to beat their children into submission, and into being good little Christians. It's sickening.

It's a shame Siggy (his dog) didn't killed him. That would have truly made him mankind's best friend.

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
(albedo_00: just LOVE your sig... Lenore rules!)

Damn right she does! Glad to find yet another Lenore fan!

 

jmm wrote:

albedo_00 wrote:

I came across this article and wanted to know your opinion:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0900/jchate.html

Also, could someone tell me if their site (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/) is for real? I mean just a glance at their articles and beliefs really sent a chill up my spine...

You just pwn3d yourself. 

How so?

 

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
albedo_00

albedo_00 wrote:

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:

Check this out:

James Dobson and religiously motivated child abuse

Dobson's built an empire fleecing believers and teaching them how to beat their children into submission, and into being good little Christians. It's sickening.

It's a shame Siggy (his dog) didn't killed him. That would have truly made him mankind's best friend.

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:
(albedo_00: just LOVE your sig... Lenore rules!)

Damn right she does! Glad to find yet another Lenore fan!

 

jmm wrote:

albedo_00 wrote:

I came across this article and wanted to know your opinion:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0900/jchate.html

Also, could someone tell me if their site (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/) is for real? I mean just a glance at their articles and beliefs really sent a chill up my spine...

You just pwn3d yourself. 

How so?

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Because I don't

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:jmm

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Loc wrote:jmm

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 

Because that's not generalising at all.Perhaps if theism wasn't inherently so ridiculous we'd be able to tell.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:jmm wrote:Loc

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 

Because that's not generalising at all.Perhaps if theism wasn't inherently so ridiculous we'd be able to tell.

Or perhaps if you didn't take yourselves so deadly serious you'd be able to tell, and subsequently enjoy the joke.  Just relax.  Take a load off.  Get a sense of humor.  There will always be people who believe in God - it's comforting, and people generally value comfort over being correct (whatever that means).  You're not going to eradicate jack shit from the earth with a stick perpetually stuck up your ass sideways.  You're just going to eventually be mocked as hard as the Christians who can think or speak of nothing else but Christianity. 


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Loc wrote:jmm

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 

 

Because that's not generalising at all.Perhaps if theism wasn't inherently so ridiculous we'd be able to tell.

Or perhaps if you didn't take yourselves so deadly serious you'd be able to tell, and subsequently enjoy the joke.  Just relax.  Take a load off.  Get a sense of humor.  There will always be people who believe in God - it's comforting, and people generally value comfort over being correct (whatever that means).  You're not going to eradicate jack shit from the earth with a stick perpetually stuck up your ass sideways.  You're just going to eventually be mocked as hard as the Christians who can think or speak of nothing else but Christianity. 

Everybody gets wound up occasionally.But hay,you've got a point.Lets just apprecaite the joke...

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:jmm wrote:Loc

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

 

Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke. 

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 

 

Because that's not generalising at all.Perhaps if theism wasn't inherently so ridiculous we'd be able to tell.

Or perhaps if you didn't take yourselves so deadly serious you'd be able to tell, and subsequently enjoy the joke.  Just relax.  Take a load off.  Get a sense of humor.  There will always be people who believe in God - it's comforting, and people generally value comfort over being correct (whatever that means).  You're not going to eradicate jack shit from the earth with a stick perpetually stuck up your ass sideways.  You're just going to eventually be mocked as hard as the Christians who can think or speak of nothing else but Christianity. 

Everybody gets wound up occasionally.But hay,you've got a point.Lets just apprecaite the joke...

Exactly!  That's the ticket - nice and easy. 


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Loc wrote:I think

jmm wrote:

Loc wrote:

I think you'll find quite a few people couldn't tell at first.It's usually pretty hard to tell if religous parody sites are real or not...

Oh, I've already found quite a few people who couldn't tell at first - the RRS. 

I've known about Landover Baptist for quite some time. I've loved 'em from the start (once I realized their whole "transexual spork" bit was a joke, and a damned funny one at that). However, the reason it might take a couple of reads to figure out it's a parody site is because of deadly-serious sites like this:

http://objectiveministries.org/

Check out their "Landover Baptist" page, where they are trying to silence LBC. It's funny. "Christians p0wn the netz! This is our series of tubes!"

The fact they want you to go to CreationWiki for "an encycopedia with more of a focus on science," is just the sort of thing you'd expect from LBC, only they don't have to, because real church sites are doing it themselves. There's also a place called, "Conservapedia." Huh. They're like a rancid almond -- really bitter, and kinda nutty.

Anyway, that's just one of many sites that seem like LBC on the surface, but you soon figure out they are serious. So, it's not hard to imagine that the always-suspicious members (which is only a small fraction, I'm sure) of RRS might take a few reads to determine that LBC is, in fact, satire.

 

EDIT:

Damn. That site, too, appears to be a hoax. A more subtle one that LBC, in fact. Oh, well. Ya never can tell.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
Posts: 153
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Because I don't

jmm wrote:
Because I don't think it could be more obvious that Landover Baptist is just a joke.

 

Oh, I see. Well, while I agree that site is quite far out there, theism is not really that far away. I've read a lot of scary shit that was dead serious: exorcisms, indoctrination by means of physical punishment and/or deprivation of food, withholding and prohibiting things or hobbies, threats, etc., dogma approved sexual molestation and/or physical abuse of spouses and children, and a BIG etc.

So you can see why I might have a problem seeing the joke as truly a joke. But I also agree with your point about people taking themselves too damn serious. Now that I see it's a joke, I can have a couple of good laughs from it and from my initial reaction towards it and go on about my day. Hell, I might even enjoy a couple of laughs from time to time when I hear someone say "well I'll believe in [insert irrational belief] despite the overwhelming evidence against it, just because it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside".

 

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.