Sreaming Christians

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sreaming Christians

I go to a very large University, and for what ever reason, it seems to attract some of the craziest Cristian's I have seen anywhere.  They come to our campus and scream bible verses, tell people there going to hell and some of the oddest stories I have ever heard.  There is this one guy that we call the Willard preacher.  He is called the Willard preacher, because for almost everyday for the last 20-25 years he has stud in front of the Willard building yelling his crap.  He even has a website now http://www.thewillardpreacher.com/  there is also a youtube video of someone confronting him about how there is no god.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osghUvKACAA

The other day there was a new one in front of the student union, saying "you don't get into god house unless is accepts you"  or something like that and telling about sex and hell ect.  He was louder then most of them, I was going to call the cops on him, because their not allowed to do that outside of the free speech zone.  So discuss crazy desperate attention whores who should be taken away to the looneybin. 

lledowyn
lledowyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, it's not unique...

This kind of thing also happened in my college campus, and that was back in 1997-2002.  Unfortunately, it wasn't just the one preacher, it was also his whole friggin family along with his 4 kids.  What was the most horrifying was the fact that the little kids got in on it too, along with carrying signs telling us all that we're going to hell, etc. etc. etc.  Similar to the Fred Phelps family but without the charm /sarcasm off.  One time, they actually ended up getting sued by a girl that was harassed by them because she wore too short shorts according to them.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the result of the lawsuit was. Sad

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
lledowyn wrote:This kind of

lledowyn wrote:

This kind of thing also happened in my college campus, and that was back in 1997-2002.  Unfortunately, it wasn't just the one preacher, it was also his whole friggin family along with his 4 kids.  What was the most horrifying was the fact that the little kids got in on it too, along with carrying signs telling us all that we're going to hell, etc. etc. etc.  Similar to the Fred Phelps family but without the charm /sarcasm off.  One time, they actually ended up getting sued by a girl that was harassed by them because she wore too short shorts according to them.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the result of the lawsuit was. Sad

You didn't happen to go to the Univ of Texas at Arlington did you?  That sounds awfully familiar to me.

lledowyn
lledowyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope!

HC Grindon wrote:

You didn't happen to go to the Univ of Texas at Arlington did you?  That sounds awfully familiar to me.

Nope, I went to the Univ of South Florida.  I guess that makes it three universities that have had to put up with this crap.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember the Willard

I remember the Willard preacher.  I'd always wish someone would kick his ass down the hill into oncoming traffic on College Ave.  Not so much for being religious, but for ruining one of the best places on campus to hang out at.

You can hardly have a conversation without that jackass spouting how he was once catholic but found that orthodox was a truer path to God because it didn't go along with the addition of the Filioque clause and all the radical changes of the Roman Catholic church.  He especially hates the whole native language vs Latin thing.  Would be ironic if his god allowed him to be afflicted with throat cancer.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Shouldn't someone be

...Shouldn't someone be telling that guy to get the fuck off of their campus? Does the university have a completely spineless faculty membership or what?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

lledowyn
lledowyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...Shouldn't someone be telling that guy to get the fuck off of their campus? Does the university have a completely spineless faculty membership or what?

If I remember correctly, they weren't allowed to kick them off my campus, because of first amendment issues.  Essentially, so long as they stayed outside, and didn't disrupt the classes that were going on inside, they were treated as any other protester.  Which is to say, they were pretty much allowed to do what they wanted.

One time, they were so loud that you could hear them inside of the classroom, and that day they were forced to leave, but the next day they made sure not to repeat that mistake again.  For all I know, they could probably still be there, annoying all of the students that happen to be passing by.

Now, keep in mind that this happened in a public university.  I'm not sure if the rules are different had it been a private institution.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
I went to USF for a bit and

I went to USF for a bit and never saw them. What year did you attend and where were they when they prosyletized?

Thats cute.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
The ministry that often

The ministry that often comes to my campus uses a crappy old easel and paint to make childish pictures to aid their sermons. The other day I heard one of them say "God look ed with his perfect 20/20 vision," and I went up and said, "Excuse me, but 20/20 is about average. There are people, humans on Earth with better vision than 20/20." He was stumped.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

lledowyn
lledowyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
daretoknow wrote:I went to

daretoknow wrote:

I went to USF for a bit and never saw them. What year did you attend and where were they when they prosyletized?

I went there between 1997-2002.  They were in between Cooper Hall and the Education building (Tampa Campus).  You could see them from the sandwich shop there (assuming it still exists).  Although I can't say that they were always there, I always saw them whilst going in and out of class.  This was during the general education poop of my degree.  Once I finished that part, since I was mainly in the Fishbowl or the library, I didn't see them anymore since I didn't have to go to that part of campus anymore.

BTW, just out of curiosity, is parking there still as crappy as I remember?

*Update* Ah the wonders of the interwebs...

It looks like he's still up to his old tricks, here's an article that was published somewhat recently on this idiot.  Apparently he still likes to call women whores, etc, and even got attacked as a result, and a woman is filing charges.  So if you were at USF recently, perhaps they are gone now as a result?

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
lledowyn wrote:*Update* Ah

lledowyn wrote:

*Update* Ah the wonders of the interwebs...

It looks like he's still up to his old tricks, here's an article that was published somewhat recently on this idiot.  Apparently he still likes to call women whores, etc, and even got attacked as a result, and a woman is filing charges.  So if you were at USF recently, perhaps they are gone now as a result?

I read that link.  They need to take a hit, nobody wants them there.  I don't see how these people make a living, I mean they are pretty much bums.  They don't have jobs, so what do they do for money.

I have heard that the one on my campus lives on donations from conservative a-holes.  Oh and I was reading the other night PSU no longer has free speech zones.  So now they can annoy everyone were ever they want.  This would explain the sudden outbreak of evangelicals on campus.

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
Irony

I'm attending a private Lutheran college in Nebraska. We don't have evangelists for two reasons. One, they assume that they would be preaching to the choir. Two, people here believe you actually have to do something to earn a living. Anyway, they're wrong on the first one. I'm in the process of surrounding myself with the campus athiest population and perhaps even turning a few theists to the dark side, so to speak.

Anyway, the irony is that I was a hard-core Lutheran when I came here last year. I sort of went the other direction on that one. You might think that I'm too lazy to leave now, but I rather enjoy taking pot-shots at theism from the inside.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Both of the universities

Both of the universities I've attended have had similar preachers in residence.  Where I am now, we have street corner preachers, and there's a really stupid looking Creationist Car that drives around town with all sorts of anti-evolution slogans on it. 

In some ways, I'm happy to let these idiots do their thing.  Most of the people at college are smarter than the average Joe, and from what I can see, the reaction is usually negative.  I'm all for letting theists prove their own idiocy.  The other side of it is that I get really annoyed when they won't shut up while I'm trying to have a cup of tea at the coffee shop across the street from campus.  It's hard to read science books when people are shouting in your ear.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pat Condell would take care of them

I'd like to see the preachers preach to this guy...

Go Pat Condell!!!

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I’ve seen these

Yeah, I’ve seen these campus preachers occasionally back in my college days. I was a Christian back then, so it didn’t bother me as much. Well, that’s not true. They did bother me. They made me feel embarrassed.

You know how you can tell these preachers are delusional? It’s the fact that yelling about sin and fire and brimstone at random people in a public place has got to be the least effective way to win people over. I know from experience. My father has done a lot of evangelism in public places, usually with handing out tracts and talking with people one-on-one, and there were times he could get in the order of 50 or so people to “accept Christ as their personal savior.”

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow...just WOW, in my

Wow...just WOW, in my college days (10 years ago) I NEVER had to deal with that, then again it could be that it's too cold to be preaching in Canada in the winter, but eh, never, the closes thing I can think of is a student that was very much christian (however I went to a electronic engineering school and he went to York University) so only on 1 occassion did he go all PREACHY on me......probably my fault because I was banging his girlfriend (whom I had no clue she was dating him and it was 1 night stand after a few drinks.........ok 2 drinks and a big ol fatty) aww well, I am still going to hell YA ME!! Maybe I will run into these street corner preachers during my stay here in New Jersey.

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
lledowyn wrote:BTW, just out

lledowyn wrote:

BTW, just out of curiosity, is parking there still as crappy as I remember?

LOL. It's funny you should ask me that, because the parking was horrendous. I lived in Kosove for a semester and got 4 parking tickets during that time. I am refusing to pay them too, because I thought it was quite an injustice to force us to pay ridiculous parking fees just so you didn't have to walk 2 f'in miles to your car. Also, I never saw the preacher there so I guess I was lucky. Wish I had though.

Thats cute.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
the college campus

the college campus proselytizers are everywhere.  either in the free speech zone or on the sidewalks at private schools.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
Is it really any surprise

Is it really any surprise that religion attracts people suffering parinoid delusions? For one thing it gives easy answers, and it also supplies the ultimate 'them' of them all, the devil.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.