Atheist soldier says Army punished him

Rammknot
Superfan
Rammknot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist soldier says Army punished him

TOPEKA, Kan. - A soldier claimed Wednesday that his promotion was blocked because he had claimed in a lawsuit that the Army was violating his right to be an atheist...

Click here for the full story 

EDIT - fixed link

Better die on your feet than live on your knees
In the absence of justice there will be no peace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
im getting a faulty link, or

im getting a faulty link, or the story was removed >.>

edit; on a side note, i just saw an ad for army singles Eye-wink

What Would Kharn Do?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't claim to know much

I can't claim to know much about the Army, because I was a sailor for 10 years. However, the time I spent in I don't know how this is possible. I know the culture in the military has changed since 9/11 and I am glad I got out when I did. Most of the chaplains were extremely tolerant of atheists and other beliefs, hell most of them were just as crass as the rest of us.

I've never seen anyone's advancement denied for any reason. In the Navy, advancement is based on personal evaluations and a rating exam. I don't know what the story means by blocked, because advancements come from higher up than his commanding officer. In the Navy there is a program to help members advance that perform well, but do not pass the advancement test and I've seen this program abused by commanding officers. One guy was arrested in Okinawa for stealing and after spending a year in a local prison returnded to the ship. His high year tenure was coming up and he was advanced because he had a rather large family to support. The chaplain and the squadron intervined on his behalf to remain in. Needless to say, there were a lot of pissed off people that such a scumbag could remain in while worthy candidates were denied the CAP.

That being said, I do believe that he was discriminated against and his CO will probably walk.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Jolt
Jolt's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the Army low-level NCO

In the Army low-level NCO promotions are usually handled at the Battalion level.  That being said there isn't much oversight on who gets nominated for promotion and who doesn't.  When positions need to be filled, names are suggested from the Company/Battery leaders (usually based on experience and promotion points previously earned). 

What does this mean?  If your Section Leader/First Sergeant/Sergeant Major doesn't like you, then you're screwed.  I was promoted to Sergeant after 2.5 years in the Army and was openly an atheist.  I think the most important rule of thumb is not to piss off anyone that can fuck you over.

Readiness to answer all questions is the infallible sign of stupidity. Saul Bellow, Herzog

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
JThe Article wrote:He says

JThe Article wrote:
He says the sergeant explained that Hall would be "unable to put aside his personal convictions and pray with his troops"

I don't know about you guys, but this statement made me blood-boilingly angry.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jolt wrote:What does this

Jolt wrote:

What does this mean?  If your Section Leader/First Sergeant/Sergeant Major doesn't like you, then you're screwed. 

Precisely why i love field promotions >.> muahaha

What Would Kharn Do?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jolt wrote:In the Army

Jolt wrote:

In the Army low-level NCO promotions are usually handled at the Battalion level.  That being said there isn't much oversight on who gets nominated for promotion and who doesn't.  When positions need to be filled, names are suggested from the Company/Battery leaders (usually based on experience and promotion points previously earned). 

What does this mean?  If your Section Leader/First Sergeant/Sergeant Major doesn't like you, then you're screwed.  I was promoted to Sergeant after 2.5 years in the Army and was openly an atheist.  I think the most important rule of thumb is not to piss off anyone that can fuck you over.

Ok, now I can see why he's complaining.... because he's probably right. I should've asked a couple buddies of mine that were Army National Guard before they joined the Navy. I didn't realize that Army avancements were so much different from ours. I just can't believe that prayer would be required before going out on patrol. I mean come on, what a useless waste of time. The enemy's doing the same thing asking god to protect them and help slaughter the enemy. Like George Carlin said, "someone's gonna be disappointed."

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The enemy's doing the

Quote:
The enemy's doing the same thing asking god to protect them and help slaughter the enemy. Like George Carlin said, "someone's gonna be disappointed."

...Unless you're in Cuba, in which case the enemy is busy kicking your ass while you're wasting your time with Christmas shananigans.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940