Introduction

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Introduction

I would like to say hello, to everyone at the RR Squad. This is my very first post although I've read a few other peoples introductions. I originally heard about this website when a number of representatives went on youtube to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. I must admit that I thought it was very bold and provocative but simultaneously misguided. I grew up going to a Catholic Church and although no religion has me now, I am quite sure that neither the Bible nor the Holy Spirit are what you mean to be condeming. I have studied quite a few Sacred Texts and the Bible is the most truthful of them all. If you are as rational as you all claim or believe, then perhaps you just haven't read it correctly. I don't particularly blame anyone for condeming members of Christian religions as they often haven't been very prudent about the placement of their faith, but the Bible is beyond reasonable doubt as truthful as it gets.  So, that is my introduction message and I hope I can get to understand exactly where you hearts are in relation to the Bible and also Religion and perhaps I'd also like to know whether or not you all believe that Atheism and Rational thinking are synonymous? It seems like they go hand and hand on this website.

Til next post..

1-24

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:BobSpence1

1-24 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

"Infallible truth" is one expression which 1-24 used frequently, despite the reality that we can never identify any such thing. If we discount all the assertions using some variation of 'infallible' we have many gaping holes. At one point I sensed that 1-24 was using the term to refer to something like deductive, mathematical style truth, especially when simple arithmetic expressions were listed, and this would be a plausible use of the term, and his dismissal of these as not meaningful in some sense I could almost agree, but 'infallible' was thrown around much more widely than that in other parts of the 'argument', I thought.

To try to make some point about 'omnipotence' that somehow it was not a logical problem just because the alleged possessor chose not to exercise the particular self-contradictory nominal 'ability' is a complete fallacy. 'Omnipotence' is not a meaningful concept, period, and that 'dodge' is a pathetic attempt to somehow get around that fundamental point. To spend so much time arguing around 'can he create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it'  demonstrates to me the total emptiness of his argument - a simple acknowledge that such an question demonstrates the incoherence of the concept of 'omnipotence' would have been the honest response.

Evidence leads potentially to a level of 'proof', proof itself doesn't not lead to or 'uncover' the evidence for itself.

And so on.

Another curiosity: when asked to clarify something, he(?) seemed often capable of phrasing it in relatively normal terms, which begs the question of why in the 'formal' argument did 1-24 fall back into the incomprehensible word-mangling mode?

If someone claims to have some sense or faculty we do not share, there still should be some way to demonstrate that, typically to be able to demonstrate the ability to discover some information that we can understand but by means we are not able to. In claimed paranormal abilities, for example, the 'psychic' can tell us what is inside a sealed container or at a remote location that could not be found out by our own senses. If not only the faculty itself but all that it allegedly allows the possessor to sense is entirely outside our observable world and has no demonstrable influence on what we can perceive, then it is genuinely meaningless to us.

Considering the many ways in which individuals making analogous claims can be shown to 'sensing' something entirely originating within their own minds, we are justified in demanding something more concrete as evidence than their unsupported claim or testimony before taking it seriously.

post #226

You are right BobSpence. You cannot identify infallible truth. You cannot point to it and say 'there it is' or 'It feels strange'. You do not have the faculty to identify it. The Infallible is not a noun but a verb. You cannot grasp a verb, you cannot see it with your own eyes. However, even as this is the case, you can know that this verb is manifest in you. And even this is wrong to say for it is not that it is manifest in you - it is that you are a manifestation of it.

The Infallible is not a verb. This is part of the problem, You may very well have some coherent thought you are trying to convey here, but you are often not using the language in way that allows us to make sense of what you say. 'The Infallible' conveys no meanings or connotations which we can match to some kind of action, so the rest of this paragraph is literally incomprehensible. Please find some alternative way to express this - you actually have shown in your clarifications in response to specific queries that you can often express the essence of your idea in much more understandable form.
Quote:

Speaking of this, your other point - about how when it came to the formal proof my language was unclear. Well, I think it was unclear because my strife was for validity. In other words, if I did had some epistemic faculty that was not developed in you, I could demonstrate empirically that it existed. I could give you examples as evidence empirically. But to help you know that you use this faculty already, this I had to demonstrate epistemically. Therefore it required a more subtle evidence. And subtle is often harder to be seen.

Using nouns or adjectives as verbs in ways that are so counter-intuitive, you make it virtually impossible to convey anything, let alone a subtle point
Quote:

As regards to what you said about Omnipotence being meaningful, I never said this. In fact, where I left off, it was still meaningless. But to accept it in its evidence, you must also accept your lowness in the face of it. After all, how long of your life have you denied its existence? This is the most simple of reparations to a lifetime of revolt: humility.

If Omnipotence is meaningless, then any argument based on using it in anything other than as an example of a meaningless term, is meaningless. If a term is deduced to be meaningless, then it must follow that what it refers to does not, indeed cannot, exist, so denial of its existence is perfectly reasonable, in fact the only logical position.

You come across as someone who could really use a strong does of humility, so your sentiments here are very offensive. You show little or no acknowledgement that your thesis just may be in error, instead insisting it has to be our inability to read it or approach your arguments 'properly'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another point of advice,

Another point of advice, 1-24:

If you have to resort to such a long complicated argument, and redefine and use words in such extraordinary ways, you should consider that it could be because you are actually fundamentally in error. The longer the chain of propositions, the more you use words with subtle shades of meaning, or many ways to read different understandings into them, the more the possibility that you will slip from strict logical validity, as when one arguments 'proves' something about some object or referent, then the following uses the referent in a slightly different sense, you have started to break the chain of validity.

Once even a small logical slip occurs, subsequent arguments can rapidly diverge into total speculative word-play. And your presentation is full of such terms, so the probability of a serious error in your conclusion is very high, even if your input propositions were thoroughly established, which is also far from being the case.

To establish such conclusions with any degree of confidence would require a whole array of parallel alternative approaches to the issue,  which all converge on the same result.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, Please Help This One.

Eloise, if you are there, please help BobSpence1 understand what I relay. I have only seen one post of yours and you have summed up everything I have written to a tee. But my language is unclear to them.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The Infallible is not a verb. This is part of the problem, You may very well have some coherent thought you are trying to convey here, but you are often not using the language in way that allows us to make sense of what you say. 'The Infallible' conveys no meanings or connotations which we can match to some kind of action, so the rest of this paragraph is literally comprehensible. Please find some alternative way to express this - you actually have shown in your clarifications in response to specific queries that you can often express the essence of your idea in much more understandable form.

The Infallible is only the evidence begotten from the process of uncovering. Omnipotence when uncovered is infallibly evident insofar as ability means potential. But, simultaneously, it is normatively (by normatively I mean in terms of the eye that attempts to discover omnipotence) meaningless because any thing can be said to be omnipotent. Thus, the discovering of omnipotence is in no way special or significant because I can point to any thing and say, 'that is omnipotent'. I can say this 'truthfully' because potential is not a thing that can be seen or touched or pointed at with any faculty. This is why I say it is not a noun.

Read with this understanding. If you do not get it ask me or ask Eloise, who seems already well versed in this.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:John 3:31-36 The

1-24 wrote:

John 3:31-36

The Buybull dosn't count as evidence for anything, other than the stupidity of its authors. Using it as evidence is like using "Lord of the Rings" to prove Elves exist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

magilum
User is offlineOffline
"LOL Ron" is just what the

"LOL Ron" is just what the avatar says, not that it's important. Moving on...

1-24 wrote:

LOLRon wrote:

Demonstrate that there's knowledge in question.

In fields where knowledge of the world is precise and meaningful, there's a functional difference between a person who knows and does not; which can be demonstrated in the outcomes of certain tests. It's unlikely that I could calculate the trajectory of an object well enough to plan a course for a satellite to intercept it -- but there are people who can do this. The outcome of your supposed knowledge is pushed conveniently beyond the bounds of falsifiability -- either the physical ability to have knowledge, or to transmit it. We're meant to take someone's appeal to authority for granted that they know something about a post-death scenario, or that subjective experiences can be discerned as natural or supernatural from within the experience itself.

Yes there is a functional difference. That function is for combat. I'm not saying that you are supposed to take someone's appeal to authority for granted that they know something. I am not saying that there is not a time that this combat is necessary. I am saying that man is first born of the flesh. However, there is a time when things of the flesh need be stowed in order that the spirit may do its work.

Now you've introduced two new undefined terms in your obscurantist question-begging argument, neither of which address what I'd said. You're appealing to consequences, which answers nothing, substantiates nothing; and then asserting an ad hoc, which explains nothing.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Eloise, if you

1-24 wrote:

Eloise, if you are there, please help BobSpence1 understand what I relay. I have only seen one post of yours and you have summed up everything I have written to a tee. But my language is unclear to them.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The Infallible is not a verb. This is part of the problem, You may very well have some coherent thought you are trying to convey here, but you are often not using the language in way that allows us to make sense of what you say. 'The Infallible' conveys no meanings or connotations which we can match to some kind of action, so the rest of this paragraph is literally comprehensible. Please find some alternative way to express this - you actually have shown in your clarifications in response to specific queries that you can often express the essence of your idea in much more understandable form.

The Infallible is only the evidence begotten from the process of uncovering.

So now the 'Infallible' is not a verb. it is a form of evidence...you are inconsistent - very bad thing in making a good argument.
Quote:

Omnipotence when uncovered is infallibly evident insofar as ability means potential.

Omnipotence, even if it existented, could never be evident. A finite number of very powerful abilities is the most that can ever be made evident in a finite time to a finite mind.
Quote:

But, simultaneously, it is normatively (by normatively I mean in terms of the eye that attempts to discover omnipotence) meaningless because any thing can be said to be omnipotent

Nonsense, except in the sense that the term is truly meaningless. If the term had any vestige of meaning, using it this way would be an incoherent  expression.
Quote:

Thus, the discovering of omnipotence is in no way special or significant because I can point to any thing and say, 'that is omnipotent'. I can say this 'truthfully' because potential is not a thing that can be seen or touched or pointed at with any faculty

No, if there is an attribute that is not evident when looking at something, then to assert it does or does not have that attribute may or may not be true, you don't know. You actually have no justification for asserting anything about that attribute either way. So in this case there are four things you could say about the entity with regard to 'omnipotence: It is omnipotent, it isn't omnipotent, I don't know if it is, or that is not a meaningful question, which is equivalent to saying it isn't omnipotent because there is no such attribute in reality.

So you can only say that 'truthfully' if it happens to be true and you actually have knowledge that it is true.

So actually, the meaningless of 'omnipotence' means that in fact the only thing you can truthfully say about something in this context is that it is NOT omnipotent. You are being absolutely illogical here. If this assertion is in anyway important to your thesis, then it is disproved right there.

Quote:
. This is why I say it is not a noun.

How does that follow?? It is still a noun, it just does not have any referent outside the sphere of ideas

Quote:

Read with this understanding. If you do not get it ask me or ask Eloise, who seems already well versed in this.

I have read it and it clearly displays your lack of understanding of coherent logical argument.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Eloise, if you

1-24 wrote:

Actually I thought I was only very vaguely close on point 3, I could see what you were establishing by it but I was and still am a bit unsure of your means.

Also I've really stretched myself lately by putting up possibly a few too many challenges in last couple of days of posting,  I must be crazy, but I'm going to try to keep up with the king tide of debate I've set myself up for. Wish me luck.

1-24 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The Infallible is only the evidence begotten from the process of uncovering.

Ok first I'll try to restate the aim in this argument of defining discovering vs uncovering truth, and you can tell me if we're at the same mind on it.

Discovering is distinct from uncovering in that discovering a thing is reliant on the precondition that an unknown is already conceived. So discovery follows from knowing that there is something one does not know. Uncovering OTOH as we are defining it distinctly for this argument will refer to the principle which you expounded in your deafness analogy. Te deafness analogy probably shouldn't get an A+ for realism, on this we can probably all agree, fortunately however the point in question doesn't rely on the realism of the analogy, only it's inductive steps, which are: To be removed from knowledge by the lack of knowledge, ie to not be aware that it is raining outside - is in contrast  to being removed from knowledge by the lack of knowledge that the extension of knowledge is existing - ie the lack of being aware that one can hear rain.

In the first, one can discover the facts, in the second one cannot discover the facts, because hearing is out of the question, so one must uncover them. Uncovering then in this context simply refers to the act of removing the first layer of separation from knowledge. The person will still be separated from the knowledge, but will have the facts at separation which they did not previously have. ie the deaf girl will be aware that one can hear rain, yet still be separated from the instantaneous knowledge of rain via hearing. Thus knowing that there is something one does not know.

So one reaches discovery going 1 step toward knowledge to knowledge, and uncovering by going 1 step toward the same knowledge which is 2 steps away.

The argument provided by 1-24 is relevant to the act of uncovering. If one is metaphorically deaf, then discovery will not follow the proof just as hearing rain will not follow the deaf girls awareness that rain can be heard.

It also merits noting that this is probably also diametric to the standard of proof which is likely to be expected by most people. Most people prefer a discoverable fact to an uncovered one, again with the deafness analogy, the deaf girl might prefer to hear the rain herself to be sure of it's validity. Most prefer it, but the point is the deaf girl, purely by the degree of her deafness, is removed from the knowledge of hearing, it is plausible, but irrelevant that she will desire and possibly achieve the ability to hear in the longer run of things. For the purposes of the argument we match the process of her uncovering the knowledge that hearing exists without thought to any end of her discovering hearing.

At this point I think we are set to proceed with the rest of the argument, correct 1-24?

1-24 wrote:

Omnipotence when uncovered is infallibly evident insofar as ability means potential.

Okay, this is where I am a little bit vague on the argument. As I understand it the main point here is that the identity of potency cannot be restricted to the domain in which some potential is realised. Potential need not be realised in order to be potential and we can not identify potency in contrast to it's own definition. This drives us to define potency by unrealised potential, wherewithin we necessarily extract a fuzzy sub-group from unlimited potential. Which in turn implies that realisation of omni-potential is logically prior to the realisation of any potential.

I'm not absolutely sure of the means by which this holds, and I'm not sure if I have the whole argument shiny there, so add whatever I have missed which is pertinent to this point.

Quote:

But, simultaneously, it is normatively (by normatively I mean in terms of the eye that attempts to discover omnipotence) meaningless because any thing can be said to be omnipotent.

I get this part. the case made here is that potential is a normal to omnipotential, so omnipotential is therefore a trivial result as everything is a normal to it once you establish that potency itself has no identity outside of omni-potency.

Quote:

Thus, the discovering of omnipotence is in no way special or significant because I can point to any thing and say, 'that is omnipotent'. I can say this 'truthfully' because potential is not a thing that can be seen or touched or pointed at with any faculty. This is why I say it is not a noun.

I figure this is where the question of uncovering versus discovering is a factor. We cannot identify potency, because we can not discover omnipotence. This is drawing a similarity between hearing rain and having hearing. A lack of hearing precludes hearing rain, so one must uncover that rain can be heard through the proportion of its manifestation available to one's senses. Likewise only a proportion of the identity of potency is manifest to us in any given juncture, thus we must uncover that the intangible portion has an identity from the revealed proportion.  The identity of potency is not discoverable, but it is uncoverable that potency has no identity external to omnipotence, thus we have identified omnipotence and any claim of potency is inherent of that identity, as claims of hearing rain are inherent to the, intangible to a deaf person, identity of hearing.

1-24, would you mind going over the main supporting statements for point 3 of my summary again. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise,

Eloise, you are a regular Elijah. You do not know how marveled I am at your brilliance. By the way, are you British? I see your spelling of realised and I wonder.. I'm going to get to your point 3 in a bit.

1-24

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
What we need to make

What we need to make 'potency' meaningful is certainly not 'omnipotence', but some actual specific capability, such as the ability to move stuff around.

The deaf girl argument would be more significant if the phenomena under discussion was not 'rain', which has many other ways to be sensed other than just the sound it creates, but something which only manifests itself through sound. I can't think of anything off-hand, which in itself suggests a problem in the whole argument.

What could exist purely as sound?

If sound is being generated by 'something', that something has to be something other than sound, which means it must have some other attributes which in turn mean that it should be detectable by some other sense, touch or sight perhaps. Or at least some technology to augment our senses, as in something to magnify the magnitude of the vibrations, or enlarge the image of something otherwise too small or too far away, or convert invisible wavelengths into ones we can see, or convert sound vibrations to visible traces on an oscilloscope screen, etc.

So there are many possibilities for making sounds indirectly perceptible, or at least demonstrable as a real phenomenon, to a deaf person, that do not require the deaf person to grasp what sound 'sounds like' to a hearing person. This is analogous to the way we have become aware of the existence of a vast range of forces and energies and radiations which we are completely blind and deaf to with our unassisted senses. So if something is completely undetectable by any of our instruments, then we are justified in being very sceptical about it as a reality. Even if you claim you have an ability to sense something that many other people with or without sensitive instruments cannot detect, we need more than just your testimony. Your testimony only 'proves' that you have experienced a particular feeling or sensation, which can have many purely internal physiological or psychological causes.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:didn't get that

Eloise wrote:

didn't get that out of it at all Will. I would sum it up as:

1. Third eye allusion - any person can sense what can not be made evident to another - separates truth from truthfulness.

2. The identity of potency must be made coherent for Omnipotence to be meaningful - consequent identities refuted (esp/w reference to terms in point (1)).

3. A coherent identity to potency is necessarily subsumed by a single omnipotence.

4. To claim any kind of potency is to claim inheritance from the extant in point (3).

Yes, 1-24?

Point 3, A coherent identity to potency is necessarily subsumed by a single omnipotence.

I am going to write this statement a different way and hope that it also holds to what you have stated.

Point 3: that potential can be identified in a thing is that omnipotence may also be identified in a thing.

I hope this isn't too far off of my understanding of your point but this is what I am elucidating. If a person can point to a thing and say, 'this is able to do x' where x is a specific action, it necessarily can point to that same thing and say, 'this is able to do anything' where anything is whatever your wildest dreams may ask it to do.

This has to do with the understanding of it as latent: present but not perceivable. If someone were to claim, 'this person has the ability to tightrope walk' even if she had just performed this activity half an hour ago, this 'ability' we are speaking of can only be a latent one. It is not manifest in any manner for one to perceive. But also, it must be said that even if we were able to perceive a person on a tightrope, could we say that it was on this tightrope of its own volition? When I say that my keys are sitting on the table, are my keys 'sitting' there of its own volition? You are right Eloise, when you say that we make out fuzzy unrealised potential. Because of this, it is equally accurate (and equally meaningless) that I point to any thing and say, 'this possesses the ability to do x/anything'

I hope this is a little more insightful.

1-24

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote:POINT 1. You are an

Quote:

POINT 1. You are an atheist due to a lack of reason to believe in anything of any supernatural reason. You are just recognizing your own ignorance.

A baby is an atheist due to a lack of reason to believe in anything of any supernatural reason. That baby makes no recognition of this and is no less an atheist than you. Why do you make the point to recognize yourself as an atheist then?

Because I believe recognition of this ignorance is a preferable standpoint to inventing a solution and then building political structures around that belief.

Quote:

POINT 2. I assume a strive towards meaning, but why do I assume you strive towards meaning? You comfortably and openly talk about meaning and purpose of life and you are happy to suggest that there is none.

I didn't assume you strived toward meaning. I assumed you strived toward more meaning. What is the difference? To strive toward more meaning is to elevate yourself with meaning. It would be like trying to make yourself more of an atheist than a baby. You are not more of an atheist than a baby. Yet you walk around as if your title means something. Mr.Atheist, you call yourself. I ask you this - why did you just distinguish yourself from the atheism of a baby by qualifying it with 'I am recognizing my own ignorance'? You strive for more meaning. You strive in error.

If I don't strive towards meaning, how would I strive to more meaning? Elevating myself with what meaning? Who said that I try to make myself more of an atheist than a baby? I strive to make myself more knowledgable but this has nothing to do with my stance on atheism but more desire to know more about what is around me and how it got there.  This has nothing to do with being an atheist.

I call myself "Mr. Atheist" because it's catchy.  I am an atheist, I am a mister.  I often speak of religion and the promotion of inquisitivness and ignorance as acceptable stances.  I strive for more meaning? No.

What is the error?

Quote:

POINT 3. You are the first to suggest that atheism is a non-word.  Where have you used it to "elevate yourself above theists"? Am I just making an assumption? You would suggest I am just making this part up because I can not find evidence where you put yourself higher than theists in general.

You have used it to elevate yourself above theists. There is no reason for you to distinguish your atheism from that of a baby. Yet you still do it. You affirm, 'I am an atheist' so someone will hear it and look at you. It fuels your meaningfulness. But what is this fuel useful for? It is useful to make those not like you look at you. It is to make the theists pay attention to you. When you lie you lie in your native tongue. Your father was a liar, never holding to the truth. You are no different.

I don't distinguish my atheism from that of a baby, I merely vocalize it and promote it as the natural position to take rather than inventing solutions to questions where the solution is unknown.

I affirm that I am an atheist because of the lack of social acceptance of the stance of no-religion.  I express it to vocalize the concept that I am one of many and it is an acceptable position that should not be discriminated against.  I invite discrimination so that those that are afraid to face discrimination can be free of it.

It fuels my meaningfulness? I don't know about that.  It is a tool by which to provide my help in influencing the social curve in a positive manner.

The lieing bit is all pointless as far as I can interpret so I will just ignore it.

Quote:

What have I not made evident about you here Mr.Atheist. Your tricks are all transparent. I make your tricks transparent so that you may stop using them and pay attention to what I am trying to tell you. I don't want you to oppose me with your tricks. I want you to oppose me with your real strength - the strength I already know you possess. The strength you do not know you have because you have been opposing your own people, people who use your same tricks. I do not use those tricks, because I am not your own people. Choose the right way to attack what it is I speak to you.

What tricks? I asked valid questions seeking clarification of what it was you were trying to say so that I could refute your claims.

How can I attack what I do not understand?

Your abuse of the english language and use of words made it too difficult to actually figure out what your intended meaning was.

You have failed to properly state your own case.  I do not, at this point, believe that you actually gave all of my points and questions a read over and I think you just breezed past it without the intention to take my questions and interest in understanding your message seriously.

Due to your own inability to communicate in a reasonable manner you have failed to demonstrate your "proof".

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mr.Atheist wrote:What

Mr.Atheist wrote:

What tricks? I asked valid questions seeking clarification of what it was you were trying to say so that I could refute your claims.

Your abuse of the english language and use of words made it too difficult to actually figure out what your intended meaning was.

You have failed to properly state your own case.  I do not, at this point, believe that you actually gave all of my points and questions a read over and I think you just breezed past it without the intention to take my questions and interest in understanding your message seriously.

Due to your own inability to communicate in a reasonable manner you have failed to demonstrate your "proof".

Eloise seems to have been able to understand what I was saying. I know she is stretched thin already, but she may be able to elucidate what I have said in a simpler way. It seems as though when I explain things in a simpler sense you all attack me. I try to say think of the infallible as a verb and I get attacked. I try to say think of proof as a making evident of that which is not evident and then I get attacked. But if I were to say those things in the proof, I would have spoken an inaccurate claim and you would have all attacked me then. So what am I to do, speak accurately or inaccurately?

1-24

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Mr.Atheist

1-24 wrote:

Mr.Atheist wrote:

Eloise seems to have been able to understand what I was saying. I know she is stretched thin already, but she may be able to elucidate what I have said in a simpler way. It seems as though when I explain things in a simpler sense you all attack me. I try to say think of the infallible as a verb and I get attacked. I try to say think of proof as a making evident of that which is not evident and then I get attacked. But if I were to say those things in the proof, I would have spoken an inaccurate claim and you would have all attacked me then. So what am I to do, speak accurately or inaccurately?

1-24

Only speak clearly, using words with the meaning and mode they are given in normal educated discussion, don't redefine them.

Maybe because when you express your thoughts in a simpler way you make the confused, erroneous thinking behind your whole thesis, perhaps behind your whole thought process, more readily apparent. Your actual 'proof' is so opaque that most of us can find little in the way of specific coherent points to discuss.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Only speak

BobSpence1 wrote:

Only speak clearly, using words with the meaning and mode they are given in normal educated discussion, don't redefine them.

Maybe because when you express your thoughts in a simpler way you make the confused, erroneous thinking behind your whole thesis, perhaps behind your whole thought process, more readily apparent. Your actual 'proof' is so opaque that most of us can find little in the way of specific coherent points to discuss.

You want me to speak of heavenly things with an earthly tongue? You'd be better off reading the Bible. But, you won't be better off because you already reject the Bible. The way I see it, you want me to speak in a way that you can reject. The only way you will think what I say clear is if you use the faculty that you already know how to use to discern it. But then I will not have taught you anything you couldn't learn by yourself. Yes, when I make it clear, it does seem confused. The deaf girl would have thought me confused as well. But does that mean I do not hear clearly? I hear well. You are not to hear. You are only to know about the vestiges of hearing within you. To know this, you must perceive without perception which is a greater paradox than omnipotence.

1-24

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Back to the 1-24 OP ,

Back to the 1-24 OP , "Sacred Bible , Truth , Defining God , Proof", ..... where have we come with all this? Absolutely no where. Communicate ??? 

I AM in AWE. Gawd is Awe, so "God" is. Then there is silly religion god dogma and word games.

I have enjoyed this thread. The saying "Pluck out the eye of reason" has new found meaning for me. The epic Bibull book of battle does contain some wisdom. God of abe is truly the devil of wrong thinking. Yes Jesus/Buddha, I too am ONE with the the "father/mother cosmos". Simple. Occams Razor?

What the hell is wrong with us? > Religion of separate god crap. Philosophy is half junk. Science is the only reasoning that is "sacred".

Yeah we are in AWE, so say hi to God that we are. Take your brain out and play with it. Check out your guts. Jesus scorned dogma. Buddha laughed.

I AM great, God of abe is my enemy ....

"People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned." Saul Bellow

((( yeah, go fishing, ride seadoos, and go to Mars, learn something meaningful ..... and bring lots of beer ....       or wine,  Me Jesus ! "One One One" ..... simple. No masters .....

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I didn't get

Eloise wrote:
I didn't get that out of it at all Will. 

Sorry - once I read the "proof", I couldn't take any of it seriously. The most serious thing I said after that was concern for Nick's love life. Once the posts get into the territory of completely intellectually bankrupt, I'm out.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
A baby has no choice in what

This in an answer to 1-24's assertion about babies: A baby has no choice in what it believes because it does not have the ability to choose religion or atheism. Being an atheist is a choice; every atheist has chosen to be an atheist after weighing the evidence for the two opposing claims. The atheist looks are the evidence for the existence of a supernatural entity and looks at the evidence against it. The atheist makes a choice based on the evaluation of that evidence.

A baby not believing in God is not based on any evaluation of evidence. In fact a baby doesn’t really believe or not believe in God. An idea has to exist in your world for you to believe or disbelieve it. Belief or non belief is a choice a baby does not choose to believe a baby is a blank slate. An atheist has evaluated the evidence for both claims and has chosen to be an atheist.

So when 1-24 says that a baby is a baby because of a lack of reason to believe he shows us how much of an idiot he actually is.

I AM TIRED OF THE BULLSHIT!

This guy suffers from a
narcissistic personality disorder. In other words this guy is fucking nuts. None of his points are logical, nothing he says makes sense.

He considers himself a prophet that speaks with a Godly tongue and that sees things we cannot. He then goes on to suggest that our beliefs are on par with the beliefs of the undeveloped mind of a baby. So we have undeveloped minds and he has a great mind that sees beyond what normal humans see.  

He has the audacity to mangle the English language beyond comprehension and then tell us that it is our fault we do not understand. He tells us that we do not understand because he speaks the Godly version of English, a language the poor layman cannot understand.

In an atheist vs. theist debate in front of an audience this guy would look like a delusional idiot (even to Christians) and he would be laughed off the stage. This guy has no basis for any of his claims.

Oh and 1-24, if your God uses adjectives as verbs he is a fucking idiot.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Not all will be "saved",

Not all will be "saved", but never give up trying !  Love is the law in this dimension ..... that would include "Indignation" , as Jesus was pissed off too ....     When will the party start? , well first we must "eat the rich", then put all our effort into "fun".  .... yeah that's a bit complicated? ...... Hey who owns this place !

If you like fun reading, Google, -  Bob Black, "Abolish Work" - , even better in pod cast. 

User is offlineOffline
I appreciate the

I appreciate the clarifications by Eloise which I did not read prior to my last post.  I am impressed you are able to understand him as I really did try to give everything he said a solid consideration and I just couldn't figure out some of those basic concepts that he was trying to get across.

Even with the clarification, could someone please fill me in on what the actual "evidence" is? The suggestion that some people can see a layer that we cannot is one thing, but this is not "evidence" to someone who cannot, and none of us can so I can't help but to suggest that this is not evidence in the slightest.  Any of the examples of abilities or senses that one may have over another I can think of there are ways to provide evidence for it, but in this case there is no evidence that the ability itself exists much less the evidence of a deity.

Is that the only evidence here? "I can see it and you can't"?  None of the other talks about omnipotence etc seem to have to do with evidence towards a deity, so is that all really just filler?

Eloise, he appears to have taken a liking to you due to your ability to apparently understand him much better than most of us have been able to.  Don't take this as offensive as it's intent really is for his benefit rather than ours: do you have this ability that we do not?  I don't imagine that you will claim to which brings me to a question for the OP: Are you the only one that has this ability?  Who else has it, could you please identify figures that would possess it? Why are you not able to provide evidence for it?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:BobSpence1

1-24 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

You want me to speak of heavenly things with an earthly tongue? You'd be better off reading the Bible. But, you won't be better off because you already reject the Bible. The way I see it, you want me to speak in a way that you can reject. The only way you will think what I say clear is if you use the faculty that you already know how to use to discern it. But then I will not have taught you anything you couldn't learn by yourself. Yes, when I make it clear, it does seem confused. The deaf girl would have thought me confused as well. But does that mean I do not hear clearly? I hear well. You are not to hear. You are only to know about the vestiges of hearing within you. To know this, you must perceive without perception which is a greater paradox than omnipotence.

1-24

So what evidence could you present that you have accessed some arcane knowledge that we are missing because we lack some actual faculty or are not thinking about it in the appropriate way, as against the possibility that you are the one who has made some fundamental error or are reading more into some ideas or personal inspirations than is really justified? How do we assess just who has got it right here? You claim to have some additional insight that we have missed, for various reasons, but we need more than just this claim. You have attempted to show us why you have got it right, but you have effectively conceded that it cannot be expressed in terms that we can grasp.

Your 'deaf girl' analogy isn't very convincing, because the missing faculty is the ability to sense a physical phenomenon, and as such its reality can be conveyed to the deaf indirectly but without invoking arcane language, as you apparently feel you have to in an attempt to convey your 'proof' of God. If your God directly intervened in the physical on a regular basis, we should be able to mount a naturalistic argument to detect His influence, but all attempts to do that seem to have failed, or been shown to be highly suspect in methodology, such as prayer intervention studies.

This is a little strange in that according to tradition and the scriptures, God used to intervene in the world in pretty spectacular ways in ancient times, but appears to have become very reluctant to show his hand in modern times.

OK, so what is about these 'heavenly things' that cannot be expressed in language we could understand, or what additional assumptions would we have to accept, or what ideas would we have to abandon, to make your arguments comprehensible to us? If it is the precepts of logic, then you lose, I'm afraid, since without those we are not able to carry on any meaningful discourse - even the concept of 'proof' goes out the window. You dwell on this business of 'omnipotence' a lot, but most of what you say, where I can see anything coherent in it, appears to fly in the face of the most basic logic, as I explained in reference to your attempt to 'simplify' it.

Your argument is beginning to appear to me to have shades of St Anselm's, probably the lamest of the classic 'proofs' of God.

I was going to say more, but I have other things to do. If you care to comment on what I have said here, feel free, but if you don't I won't feel particularly bothered, because I suspect we are at an impasse, with two fundamentally different ways of looking at existence, and no obvious way to resolve it - either I am blind, or you are hallucinating, to caricature the alternatives.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I want to chime in on the

I want to chime in on the frequent comparison the OP makes between an atheist, who claims no knowledge of, and doesn't believe in, a god, and a baby who does so passively. This is not a universal Christian appraisal, since there is the odd Christian argument that everyone on earth is somehow imprinted with a knowledge of a Christian god, but may choose to deny it. I point this out to show the wild variation in interpretations between believers of the "same" religion. That aside, the OP seems to appeal to ridicule here in saying that an atheist has not 'advanced' in his or her knowledge from infancy. But what we have not seen is anything that demonstrates that advancement in knowledge of a deity exists. I've asked specifically for support for this idea, and got back gibberish and question begging about combat.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote:This in an

NickB wrote:

This in an answer to 1-24's assertion about babies: A baby has no choice in what it believes because it does not have the ability to choose religion or atheism. Being an atheist is a choice; every atheist has chosen to be an atheist after weighing the evidence for the two opposing claims. The atheist looks are the evidence for the existence of a supernatural entity and looks at the evidence against it. The atheist makes a choice based on the evaluation of that evidence.

A baby not believing in God is not based on any evaluation of evidence. In fact a baby doesn’t really believe or not believe in God. An idea has to exist in your world for you to believe or disbelieve it. Belief or non belief is a choice a baby does not choose to believe a baby is a blank slate. An atheist has evaluated the evidence for both claims and has chosen to be an atheist.

So when 1-24 says that a baby is a baby because of a lack of reason to believe he shows us how much of an idiot he actually is.

I AM TIRED OF THE BULLSHIT!

This guy suffers from a
narcissistic personality disorder. In other words this guy is fucking nuts. None of his points are logical, nothing he says makes sense.

He considers himself a prophet that speaks with a Godly tongue and that sees things we cannot. He then goes on to suggest that our beliefs are on par with the beliefs of the undeveloped mind of a baby. So we have undeveloped minds and he has a great mind that sees beyond what normal humans see.  

He has the audacity to mangle the English language beyond comprehension and then tell us that it is our fault we do not understand. He tells us that we do not understand because he speaks the Godly version of English, a language the poor layman cannot understand.

In an atheist vs. theist debate in front of an audience this guy would look like a delusional idiot (even to Christians) and he would be laughed off the stage. This guy has no basis for any of his claims.

Oh and 1-24, if your God uses adjectives as verbs he is a fucking idiot.

a·mor·al      /eɪˈmɔrəl, æˈmɔr-, eɪˈmɒr-, æˈmɒr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ey-mawr-uhl, a-mawr-, ey-mor-, a-mor-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective

1.not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
2.having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.

im·mor·al      /ɪˈmɔrəl, ɪˈmɒr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-mawr-uhl, i-mor-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1.violating moral principles; not conforming to the patterns of conduct usually accepted or established as consistent with principles of personal and social ethics.
2.licentious or lascivious.

Nick B, following from your logic, a baby would be amoral because he has not evaluated any form of evidence concerning morality. As you say, an idea has to exist in your world in order to believe or disbelieve. That being said, once that baby learns of morality and chooses not to be moral, that baby is involving himself with questions of right and wrong. Thus that baby is either moral or immoral, according to the definition. If the baby does not conform to moral principles, the baby is immoral. Not amoral, but immoral.

Now, by this same logic, in light of choosing against theism, you would not be an atheist anymore. You would actively be choosing against theism, which would make you an anti-theist, not so? You wouldn't have a lack of reason to believe in theism - you would have acquired a reason to not believe in theism, which is a stronger claim, not so?

1-24

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:I want to

magilum wrote:

I want to chime in on the frequent comparison the OP makes between an atheist, who claims no knowledge of, and doesn't believe in, a god, and a baby who does so passively. This is not a universal Christian appraisal, since there is the odd Christian argument that everyone on earth is somehow imprinted with a knowledge of a Christian god, but may choose to deny it. I point this out to show the wild variation in interpretations between believers of the "same" religion. That aside, the OP seems to appeal to ridicule here in saying that an atheist has not 'advanced' in his or her knowledge from infancy. But what we have not seen is anything that demonstrates that advancement in knowledge of a deity exists. I've asked specifically for support for this idea, and got back gibberish and question begging about combat.

Have you paid attention to the postings? I never said I was a Christian. I said no religion has me. Stop categorizing me so that you can find a way to attack me. Why don't you attack what I have already proven.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:So what

BobSpence1 wrote:

So what evidence could you present that you have accessed some arcane knowledge that we are missing because we lack some actual faculty or are not thinking about it in the appropriate way, as against the possibility that you are the one who has made some fundamental error or are reading more into some ideas or personal inspirations than is really justified? How do we assess just who has got it right here? You claim to have some additional insight that we have missed, for various reasons, but we need more than just this claim. You have attempted to show us why you have got it right, but you have effectively conceded that it cannot be expressed in terms that we can grasp.

Your 'deaf girl' analogy isn't very convincing, because the missing faculty is the ability to sense a physical phenomenon, and as such its reality can be conveyed to the deaf indirectly but without invoking arcane language, as you apparently feel you have to in an attempt to convey your 'proof' of God. If your God directly intervened in the physical on a regular basis, we should be able to mount a naturalistic argument to detect His influence, but all attempts to do that seem to have failed, or been shown to be highly suspect in methodology, such as prayer intervention studies.

This is a little strange in that according to tradition and the scriptures, God used to intervene in the world in pretty spectacular ways in ancient times, but appears to have become very reluctant to show his hand in modern times.

OK, so what is about these 'heavenly things' that cannot be expressed in language we could understand, or what additional assumptions would we have to accept, or what ideas would we have to abandon, to make your arguments comprehensible to us? If it is the precepts of logic, then you lose, I'm afraid, since without those we are not able to carry on any meaningful discourse - even the concept of 'proof' goes out the window. You dwell on this business of 'omnipotence' a lot, but most of what you say, where I can see anything coherent in it, appears to fly in the face of the most basic logic, as I explained in reference to your attempt to 'simplify' it.

Your argument is beginning to appear to me to have shades of St Anselm's, probably the lamest of the classic 'proofs' of God.

I was going to say more, but I have other things to do. If you care to comment on what I have said here, feel free, but if you don't I won't feel particularly bothered, because I suspect we are at an impasse, with two fundamentally different ways of looking at existence, and no obvious way to resolve it - either I am blind, or you are hallucinating, to caricature the alternatives.

What evidence can I present... I cannot present any evidence that I have accessed some 'arcane' knowledge. The issue is not me BobSpence1, the issue here is you. Take note of the 'If/then' statement at the end of the proof. I don't know what you are here trying to get a grasp of. Note the statement and ask yourself whether or not you believe this to be the case. If you do, then accept what comes with that acknowledgement, that you are an expression of God. If you don't, then accept what comes with that acknowledgment as well. You should be able to deduce what comes with that acknowledgment from what I wrote.

As regards my deaf girl analogy, you keep resorting to the way in which I did not want you to look at it. It seems like once you hear the word deaf, it triggers in you an epistemic faculty that you can have perfect knowledge of. But you cannot have perfect knowledge of that faculty if you are deaf. Only empirical hints.  Therefore I have attempted to provide epistemic evidence so that you may never raise the question again as to whether or not God exists.

What is all this about a naturalistic argument to detect his influence? You are mystifying Him so that you never have to confront Him in this very existence. I really hope your children are not born with the Spirit. You both will be equally foreign to each other. Stop beating around the bush and make a decision. Believe or do not believe. There is nothing more to know in terms of naturalistic arguments and the sort.

In terms of St. Anselm, stop trying to categorize this so that you may make some anecdotal critique. You are again, avoiding that God is staring you in the face forcing you to make a decision. Did you think faith was easy? Did you think it was pleasant? Did Jesus not say he came to bring the sword? I don't know what it was you thought but you should have checked all those conceptions at the door. This has no category, this will be no mans anecdote. God is no story to tell. God is real.

1-24

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:magilum wrote:I

1-24 wrote:

magilum wrote:

Have you paid attention to the postings? I never said I was a Christian. I said no religion has me. Stop categorizing me so that you can find a way to attack me. Why don't you attack what I have already proven.

You have not proven shit. You live in some kind of fantasy world in which you believe yourself to be some kind of superior being. You are crazy, thats what it comes down to.

What do you think you have proven?

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Nick B. That post was for

Nick B. That post was for magilum. You still haven't admitted of your invalid argument concerning the faith that discounted my argument. What do I think I have proven? Don't try and stray from the validity of the argument. The writings on the wall. If you want to oppose me like the anti-theist you are, do so according to the theism that I present. If not, then don't say nuthin' Smiling

User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:What do I think I

1-24 wrote:

What do I think I have proven?

Great question.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your argument makes no

Your argument makes no sense.

The definition of an amoral person is one who has no concept of morality. Babies are in fact amoral and amorality is not a choice.

A atheist by definition is a person who denies the existence of deities or gods.  An atheist denies the existence of God by choice.

Your argument assumes that atheism is not a choice and when you choose to not believe in God you are no longer an atheist.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote:Your argument

NickB wrote:

Your argument makes no sense.

The definition of an amoral person is one who has no concept of morality. Babies are in fact amoral and amorality is not a choice.

A atheist by definition is a person who denies the existence of deities or gods.  An atheist denies the existence of God by choice.

Your argument assumes that atheism is not a choice and when you choose to not believe in God you are no longer an atheist.

So are you saying that babies are not atheists then? That is not what Mr.Atheist seems to be saying. Maybe you guys need to figure out what your stance is. Oh, that's right, 'atheists' don't have a unified stance. That's fine too, though. I don't like that you all seem to clump me into the works of any unified religion. But really, what is true that atheism is a lack of reason to believe in a gods or is it the more strong case that a person denies the existence of gods? you tell me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't really agree that

I don't really agree that atheism is a choice. I just couldn't make myself believe (for example) that the Christian god exists, any more than I could make myself believe 2 + 2 = 5. I could certainly pretend to, and act as if I believed, but there's a big difference.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
[quote=1-24]Nick B. That

[quote=1-24]Nick B. That post was for magilum.

Oh sorry I have replied for a comment not intended for me messiah. Will you ever forgive me oh great and powerful prophet? I throw myself at your mercy.....

1-24 wrote:
You still haven't admitted of your invalid argument concerning the faith that discounted my argument. What do I think I have proven? Don't try and stray from the validity of the argument. The writings on the wall. If you want to oppose me like the anti-theist you are, do so according to the theism that I present. If not, then don't say nuthin' Smiling

You cannot back up you claim then? You claim you have proven something yet you cannot show us the proof. You cannot even tell us what you have proven. You have presented no valid argument that definitively proves the existence of GOD (or even comes close). Where is this proof beyond reasonable doubt you so boastfully claimed you would provide?

Where is the proof you claim to posses?

Why does everybody here still have very reasonable doubt?

So this debate ends here then, he has not made a valid argument and has not shown us any valid proof. He claims to but he cannot back up his claim so that it. This argument is over, finally.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why can't I edit my damn

Why can't I edit my damn posts?

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Why do you call me messiah?

Nicholas, I proven as much as can be proven. Whether you accept this evidence is up to you. If you want to accept that you don't even have the potential to type so much as a response to anything I have typed here, then that's okay.

I am still interested as to your definition of atheism, as it seems to be in opposition to both MattShizzle's and Mr.Atheist's. I'd like to see some atheists quarrel a bit over their knowledge.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have already explained

I have already explained what an atheist is, why do you feel that you need to ask me again? Surely my posts are not as nonsensical and scattered as yours.

If Mr. Atheist said that he is wrong, he does not speak for all atheists. Are you not smart enough to fist seek the
definition of atheism in a dictionary before trying to create a new term that means exactly the same thing?

I think you should humble
yourself and admit that your attempt to create a new word was ignorant. Your argument was invalid, are you going to humble yourself?

MattShizzle is a psychopathic Nazi his opinion on anything is irrelevant.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi again all, this might be

Hi again all, this might be a quick post as it's late here. 

To answer a few questions: 1-24- I'm from Australia and we spell the Queen's English here too, nice catch there.

Mr Atheist -

Mr. Atheist wrote:

I appreciate the clarifications by Eloise which I did not read prior to my last post.  I am impressed you are able to understand him as I really did try to give everything he said a solid consideration and I just couldn't figure out some of those basic concepts that he was trying to get across.

Even with the clarification, could someone please fill me in on what the actual "evidence" is?

I admit I'm finding the actual evidence difficult to ascertain. I can see validity in both 1-24's arguments against a discrete identity to potency and Bob's argument for ascertaining discrete potential. In my opinion 1-24 has elucidated the question of identifying the faculty of ability, and the value of that question, and given a conclusion which is logical providing that his argument for identifying the faculty of ability holds. However, having only thought this through for one day, I'm not sure yet which conclusion about potency is most arguable.

Bob states simply that an identity to potency is given by identification of a discrete element of ability. This sounds right on the face of it, but I see that 1-24 has made a point in apprehension of this answer - The identity of a potency is not equivalent to the identity of potency. This is similar to separating 'hearing rain' from 'hearing' but to what extent does that analogy fit the faculty of ability? To answer that is to provide the proof or rebuttal of 1-24's argument.

If ability is a pure analogue of hearing, then 1-24 has established his point. If the correlation between the faculty of ability and the faculty of hearing is too weak, then we have no evidence in this argument that ability under any definition requires an omnipotence as a logical prior and the proof fails.

So here's the challenge I see - we make an argument one way or the other that identifies potency.  The most logical conclusion settles the debate.

Quote:

Eloise, he appears to have taken a liking to you due to your ability to apparently understand him much better than most of us have been able to.  Don't take this as offensive as it's intent really is for his benefit rather than ours: do you have this ability that we do not? 

No I think it was just a long proof with a lot of word detail and formal language involved.  I picked out the gist of the argument probably because I have tedious writing style in common with 1-24. No offense intended in that 1-24, I wouldn't write any other way, myself, it's all good.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Marci
Marci's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello 1-24, I will not

Hello 1-24,

I will not reflect to your 'evidence' post because it would be a complete waste of time; I would rather give you a hint on how to post such an 'essay' in a readable form, from a technical writer's point of view.

Using all these big words will not make you look smart. You make your audience weary while they try to understand the basic concept of your post, and this is definitely not helping your cause. A large majority of your readers will just skip the entire post, thinking: "Man, what a fucking smartass. Wish I did not waste an hour reading all those posts through five pages to get a mess like this". I am quite sure if you had rephrased it, the outcome would have been a lot better.

The first page of your essay looks like you are about to interpret something of a great importance, and you are giving hints to the average reader, trying to catch their attention. Too bad. With your vague statements you have already ruined your credibility. Next time try to stay focused on the topic, and cut the bullshit like

1-24 wrote:
"What is evident is evident."

or

1-24 wrote:
Because proof is either a discovering or an uncovering, there may exist a proof such that in its attempt to make a thing evident, it is destined to fail. Such a proof would either :

attempt to discover that evidence which is only uncoverable or,

attempt to uncover that evidence which is only discoverable

HINT: define the purpose and make a small introduction part so people will actually even start reading if they are interested.

Quoting yourself is just silly. Not only it looks awful, it does not prove anything either, especially in this context. You are posting it on a forum where people use quotations a lot.

The other part of your post is good for the eyes. For comprehension, it is just a brick wall of text, quite the opposite of what you used in the first part. Inconsistency makes your post less readable and your readers ask themselves: "Why is it different? Did I miss something in the introduction part?"

Even the first check failed on your essay. I suggest you to rewrite it.

Good luck and have a nice day.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote:I have already

NickB wrote:

I have already explained what an atheist is, why do you feel that you need to ask me again? Surely my posts are not as nonsensical and scattered as yours.

If Mr. Atheist said that he is wrong, he does not speak for all atheists. Are you not smart enough to fist seek the
definition of atheism in a dictionary before trying to create a new term that means exactly the same thing?

I think you should humble
yourself and admit that your attempt to create a new word was ignorant. Your argument was invalid, are you going to humble yourself?

MattShizzle is a psychopathic Nazi his opinion on anything is irrelevant.

I actually got that definition from Mr. Atheist. and it does say that atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods on dictionary.com. I did not attempt to create a new word. WRONG AGAIN !!! Smiling

I'm not even going to ask you to admit to your error. I know you will not. You seem to be talking out of your neck!! Very indignant you are. Go and debate with your atheists on the meaning of the word

Your opinion is so high and mighty compared to Matt Shizzle's, yet all you do is say things in error. Errors errors errors. Not worth my responses.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
  1-24 wrote:Why do you

1-24 wrote:

It is called sarcasm, don't worry some day you will understand the subtleties of human interaction. You need only spend time with as mere mortals and you will learn messiah.  

1-24 wrote:
Nicholas, I proven as much as can be proven. Whether you accept this evidence is up to you. If you want to accept that you don't even have the potential to type so much as a response to anything I have typed here, then that's okay.

I am still interested as to your definition of atheism, as it seems to be in opposition to both MattShizzle's and Mr.Atheist's. I'd like to see some atheists quarrel a bit over their knowledge.

Perfectly put, you have proven as much as can be proven (nothing). What you have proven is not enough to satisfy the burden of reasonable doubt so pay up.

Indecently do you mind telling me what you have proven in your own words? You can do that right? Can you also show me the proof? Do not tell me again you have proven it, I understand that, what I am asking you is to show me the proof, or the money.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote: I actually got

1-24 wrote:

I actually got that definition from Mr. Atheist. and it does say that atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods on dictionary.com. I did not attempt to create a new word. WRONG AGAIN !!! Smiling

I'm not even going to ask you to admit to your error. I know you will not. You seem to be talking out of your neck!! Very indignant you are. Go and debate with your atheists on the meaning of the word

Your opinion is so high and mighty compared to Matt Shizzle's, yet all you do is say things in error. Errors errors errors. Not worth my responses.

Yes exactly, lack of belief in God and as I have already explained and you acknowledged belief is a choice and babies cannot choose.

So humble yourself to me please.

1-24
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Marci wrote:Hello 1-24, I

Marci wrote:

Hello 1-24,

I will not reflect to your 'evidence' post because it would be a complete waste of time; I would rather give you a hint on how to post such an 'essay' in a readable form, from a technical writer's point of view.

Using all these big words will not make you look smart. You make your audience weary while they try to understand the basic concept of your post, and this is definitely not helping your cause. A large majority of your readers will just skip the entire post, thinking: "Man, what a fucking smartass. Wish I did not waste an hour reading all those posts through five pages to get a mess like this". I am quite sure if you had rephrased it, the outcome would have been a lot better.

The first page of your essay looks like you are about to interpret something of a great importance, and you are giving hints to the average reader, trying to catch their attention. Too bad. With your vague statements you have already ruined your credibility. Next time try to stay focused on the topic, and cut the bullshit like

1-24 wrote:
"What is evident is evident."

or

1-24 wrote:
Because proof is either a discovering or an uncovering, there may exist a proof such that in its attempt to make a thing evident, it is destined to fail. Such a proof would either :

HINT: define the purpose and make a small introduction part so people will actually even start reading if they are interested.

Quoting yourself is just silly. Not only it looks awful, it does not prove anything either, especially in this context. You are posting it on a forum where people use quotations a lot.

The other part of your post is good for the eyes. For comprehension, it is just a brick wall of text, quite the opposite of what you used in the first part. Inconsistency makes your post less readable and your readers ask themselves: "Why is it different? Did I miss something in the introduction part?"

Even the first check failed on your essay. I suggest you to rewrite it.

Good luck and have a nice day.

Thanks Marci. To tell you the truth, I'm not so concerned with the fact that people have to go back and get a better understanding of what I'm saying. I've found that one of the greatest joys of reading arguments is that I interpret it one way, and then the author writes something, and then I have to go back and understand it according to this new sentence. Secondly, its only about 9 pages. I wouldn't call it a volume of a work so if it is too much to bare, that's just too bad. Come on, 9 pages? No one should quarrel over 9 pages. Thirdly, there are no flaws that have been pointed out other than its ease to be read. If it were something that could be easily understood, there wouldn't really be a reason to write it. Moreover, Eloise seemed to at least be able to sum up my main points. No one here has even tried in a real attempt. Not even you. So before you judge me on my rhetoric or what not, show me that you've attempted in anyway to understand what I am writing before you offer suggestions of improvement. Again, thanks for your post.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
How many times do I have to

How many times do I have to explain this to you? Maybe I should type it using big words so it looks like nonsensical rubbish, that your thing isn't it? Well I am not going to.....

See after you acknowledged that belief is a choice you tried to create a new term 'anti-theist'. The term was used to describe a person that chooses not to believe in God.

Now you are saying that the definition of atheist is a lack of belief in God. The word belief by your acknowledgment implies a conscious choice. So the dictionary.com definition of atheist simply means somebody who has chosen not to believe in God.

So why did you try and create a new word?

If by your definition and every definition you have put forth atheist means a lack of belief in God and belief is a choice why did you create anti-theist to describe the exact same thing?

You must now humble yourself, you made a mistake, humble yourself now!

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why have you not yet humbled

Why have you not yet humbled yourself?

Also why do you keep avoiding my question about proof? Could you please show all of us your proof?

Marci
Marci's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:Moreover, Eloise

1-24 wrote:

Moreover, Eloise seemed to at least be able to sum up my main points. No one here has even tried in a real attempt. Not even you. So before you judge me on my rhetoric or what not, show me that you've attempted in anyway to understand what I am writing before you offer suggestions of improvement.

That is exactly why I tried to help you out: one out of twenty or more readers who is able to sum up your points is not something you should be proud of. Clarifying your own claims and put the content in a readable form are beneficial for both yourself and your audience.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marci is right, when a great

Marci is right, when a great prophet such as yourself can only get his message across to 5% of people he is not doing his job. May I suggest communication classes messiah?

User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote:If Mr. Atheist

NickB wrote:

If Mr. Atheist said that he is wrong, he does not speak for all atheists. Are you not smart enough to fist seek the definition of atheism in a dictionary before trying to create a new term that means exactly the same thing?

Well then, we disagree.

I firmly stand behind a person being ignorant of religion is still an atheist.  I am not a gnostic atheist, I am an agnostic atheist.  I am an atheist due to the lack of evidence that supports a god now, but a person living in a village never having heard of god is still an atheist since they are not a theist.

I was the one that originally said that babies are atheists since atheist is the natural position.  One is not born with god belief, they are educated to have god belief.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Since this is so long, I'm

Since this is so long, I'm going to break it up into parts, hopefully to make things easier to manage.  This thread got rather long over the weekend, so I hope you're still reading it...

1-24 wrote:

What is to be revealed in the coming pages relies on the comprehension of this phenomenon:

The Truth and The Infallible are at odds

I disagree with this statement.  If you are not playing definition games, comparing truth and infallibility is a category error: truth is making accurate statements about reality (i.e., what happens regardless of how we feel about things), whereas infallibility is the incapacity of making mistakes.  An infallible entity could never say anything but the truth, by definition, but to say they are "at odds" is incorrect.

Quote:

There are two ways of making things evident. One can do so either by discovering or by uncovering. What is made evident from discovery is Truth. What is made evident from an uncovering is that which cannot be false - the Infallible.

Before I can deal with this, you need to make clear the distinction between "discovering" and "uncovering".  I've read through most of the thread so far and have not seen a concise definition of these two processes as you use them.

Quote:

What is evident is evident. But that which is not yet evident requires proof to be made evident.

False.  That which is not yet evident has not yet been discovered.  Factual, existing things need no proof beyond that offered by their existence.  If you could produce cold fusion reactors upon request, you would not have need of proving they were possible since you would have one to point at; its existence would prove it possible.

Quote:

Proof is either a discovering or an uncovering. What is more, it makes evident what is not yet so. But it can be unsuccessful at this endeavor.

No. Do not redefine a generally understood word to support your case.  A proof demonstrates the validity of a premise or proposition, nothing more.

Please do not attempt to prove something by redefining words.  It never works, and is a hallmark of sloppy thinking.  Common language is used to communicate ideas; the more redefinitions you commit, the less common the language becomes.

Quote:

If there exists no thing to be made evident, proof cannot discover or uncover that thing. Thus it cannot succeed. So also, proof cannot succeed if it attempts to make evident that which is forbidden.

However, a proof can be used to discover that something is indeed impossible, such as with a proof by contradiction.  If I show that an assumption leads to a contradiction, I have just shown that assumption to be false.

You also need to define "forbidden" in this instance.  You seem to be ascribing intent to reality, which you would also have to prove is even possible before proving that it is indeed the case.

Quote:

What has been forbidden?

Strictly speaking, no thing - as there shouldn‘t be: there does not exist a thing that ought not be exposed for what it is.

You just worked yourself into a corner.  If proofs of "forbidden" topics cannot succeed, but no topic is "forbidden", then all topics are to provable.  This is false; there are statements which are impossible to prove; any paradox will fit the bill.  This means either that proofs of forbidden topics CAN succeed, or that some topics ARE forbidden.

Quote:

Essentially however, there is a type of proof that is unsuccessful when attempted.

Each proof is a pursuit to no avail.

Can you reword this section?  I find it unclear.  What do you mean by "type of proof"?

I'm going to jump ahead to this bit:

Quote:

I am in a basement with a person born deaf. I hear the rain outside and I sign to her, “it is raining outside”. As there is no internet, no windows, no television forecast in the basement, she signs back, “how can you tell?”

Now, before I get to the particular understanding by which this scenario explains the aforementioned, it must be expressed that there is some ambiguity as to the sense of the question the deaf girl signs. In one sense, she can be asking for empirical evidence - the evidence based on the data currently available. However, in another sense, she can be asking about the epistemic basis for the evidence - the faculty that begot the evidence.

I disagree.  I have never met a deaf person who was unaware of the faculty of hearing; they simply understand that they do not have it (or have it in differing quantities, as is often the case).  The epistemic basis for the question is nonexistent.  The realistic way to understand the question is "I have no way of knowing how you know this, so can you please tell me?"

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
1-24 wrote:I would like to

1-24 wrote:

I would like to say hello, to everyone at the RR Squad. This is my very first post although I've read a few other peoples introductions. I originally heard about this website when a number of representatives went on youtube to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. I must admit that I thought it was very bold and provocative but simultaneously misguided. I grew up going to a Catholic Church and although no religion has me now, I am quite sure that neither the Bible nor the Holy Spirit are what you mean to be condeming. I have studied quite a few Sacred Texts and the Bible is the most truthful of them all. If you are as rational as you all claim or believe, then perhaps you just haven't read it correctly. I don't particularly blame anyone for condeming members of Christian religions as they often haven't been very prudent about the placement of their faith, but the Bible is beyond reasonable doubt as truthful as it gets.  So, that is my introduction message and I hope I can get to understand exactly where you hearts are in relation to the Bible and also Religion and perhaps I'd also like to know whether or not you all believe that Atheism and Rational thinking are synonymous? It seems like they go hand and hand on this website.

Til next post..

1-24

Hello,

The Bible is NOT a rational piece of work, I am sorry to say. I think the others on the board have already covered this rather brilliantly, though I'm not an Atheist, but there are a few things I just want to ask you.

Christians always say that their god is one that is kind and loving and the Bible is supposed to be proof of that fact. However from what I have read from it.... especially the OT, I must disagree.

If you look in the Old Testament, God is constantly doing the most evil and heinous stuff that I've ever seen put on text, worse than what Hitler perhaps. He killed first born children in Egypt for crimes they didn't commit. He promoted genocide through what he told David and Joshua to do in his name, which was down right genocide of the native peoples in these lands.

Now I know they could be viewed as metaphors, but even then I can't pull a meaning that is morally positive. The metaphor that I would get from these stories is that you should do whatever God wants you to do, no matter how horrible it is, because then God will bless you? Is this what you would call a "loving" God?

Another point I want to make is that the Bible is not a rational book. If it was, then it wouldn't have inconsitencies in it's stories. For example, at the end of 1 Samuel (according to the New International Version), Saul kills himself once he is overran by the Philistines. However in the beginning of 2 Samuel, they say that Saul was killed by an Amalekite, after Saul asked to finish him off. Also this Amalekite wasn't even mentioned in the end of 1 Samuel.

1 Samuel 31:4

Saul said to his armor-bearer, "Draw your sword and run me through, or these uncircumcised fellows will come and run me through and abuse me."  But his armor-bearer was terrified and would not do it; so Saul took his own sword and fell on it.

2 Samuel 1:10 (note this is the Amalekite talking)

"So I stood over him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive. And I took the crown that was on his head and the band on his arm and have brought them here to my lord."

This is clearly a contradiction, a horrible contradiction. The continuity of the story is destroyed and the reader is now confused. Now one could only say that this is a small part of the story, but then David kills the Amalekite. Now when someone is punished through death in the OT, there is usually a moral that the author is trying to send to the reader about how the one who got punished did something against God, but in this case most readers probably won't get it since they would be confused by the gross contradiction in the story. This would clearly be illogical or irrational on the part of the author, since he was unable to keep his/her own story straight.

"My mind is my own church." - Thomas Paine

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would argue even if we

I would argue even if we could figure out which one of them were the most rational of all the "holy" books, that would be kind of like pointing out that Moe is the most articulate of the 3 stooges. The Bible wouldn't be anywhere near the top.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   Obviously, the

Obviously, the bybulls are the work of the "devil". ( Devil = wrong thinking )

Studing religion these past few yrs has made me sadly flabbergasted.  How does one write the words of my indignation to communicate the error of the religious  mindset. I struggle with language. Umm I have an idea, I will simply say as Jesus /Buddha, "I AM GOD AS YOU", over and over again. 

Indignation - "Anger aroused by something unjust, mean, or unworthy"

Righteous indignation is an emotion one feels when one becomes angry over perceived mistreatment, insult, or malice.

In some Christian doctrines, righteous indignation is considered the only form of anger which is not sinful, e.g., Jesus drove the money lenders out of the temple. Conversely, it is considered sinful to fail to act upon one's righteous anger, especially if it regards blasphemy against God. /////

The "god of abe" isn't god .... I AM pissed. I AM in shock.

Frank Zappa said something about the abundance of stupidity. Einstein had a good one too. http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/zappa.htm

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote:NickB

Mr. Atheist wrote:

NickB wrote:

If Mr. Atheist said that he is wrong, he does not speak for all atheists. Are you not smart enough to fist seek the definition of atheism in a dictionary before trying to create a new term that means exactly the same thing?

Well then, we disagree.

I firmly stand behind a person being ignorant of religion is still an atheist.  I am not a gnostic atheist, I am an agnostic atheist.  I am an atheist due to the lack of evidence that supports a god now, but a person living in a village never having heard of god is still an atheist since they are not a theist.

I was the one that originally said that babies are atheists since atheist is the natural position.  One is not born with god belief, they are educated to have god belief.

Belief implies choice so the definition of atheism cannot apply to babies. Babies did not choose to not believe they simply do not know of the concept. To me it's simple; we have the definition of atheism and it just does not fit why babies do not believe in it.

There is a difference between not believing and never having conceived the concept of a God.