Calling all skeptical theists and atheists to please take the stand.

SteveTheMonkey
SteveTheMonkey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Calling all skeptical theists and atheists to please take the stand.

I have formed my own conclusion to religion that I want you to scrutinize. I want you to rip it apart piece by piece and smudge the rotten illogical pieces in my face. You have to understand, this is my own personal opinion and I am asking you to critically analyze it and formulate a conclusion as to why I am wrong. Prove to me, why I am wrong.

I've suggested before to myspace forums that we have been asking the wrong question in regards to divine nature but recieved no responses for no one seemed to understand. I've left there with a brutal personal attack that changed the outlook of a 45 year old self-ish man and I never came back. What always seemed to be asked is if a higher being exists? And that basis serves to constitute the difference between theists and atheists.

Like black, and white. Some more black, and some more white. It is kind of a yin and yang the way I see it as it should be. A yin and a yang that comes together to form the shady border in the life after a graveyard. Yin is dark, yang is light. But each holds the seed for the other. There would be no atheists without theists, and vice versa. Can we unify theists and atheists into some common ground? In respect to the duality of time and man religion exists somewhere in the middle. And we can both cross into middle ground. We can both step into and out of religion with respect to ourselves first before others. The problem with religion is usually not religion itself, but the subjects who blindfully follow a religion. Someone who crosses the line from being casual to being an uncontrolled extremist in their beliefs. And uncontrolled extremism breeds violence as we've read about throughout history. But if we looked at religion beyond fallacies of logic, but at more of the lessons that can be learned to support human growth in many aspects. We would be looking at religion as a tool box. Tools being lessons to be learned, methods to approach problems with, and ect. And yes, not all tools would be helpful. Tools that helps us to grow, is tools that are not useless. And that, is following a purpose of religion. To utilize the toolbox to help shape your growth, my growth, all growth. In life, we have in abundance of materialistic tools all around us. Take a moment to look around you. How many items can you count that helps you to accomplish something that you couldn't do as good without it? I would imagine alot. But count how many tools that you know that are more for mental aptitude? That are more for your mind to utilize to help yourself excell through a stressor. Probably not more then the fingers on your hands. And religion has an old toolbox that can either help you or poison you. The internet is the new.The ultimate system of beliefs would be to organize a system based on methods to be utilized when it is needed and be adaptable to changes.

On a side note, I've bagged my own tools I've found into my own personal adaptable system inwhich I'm creating a large personal book on.

Unification of theism and atheism through the understanding of religion as a personal tool is one of my beliefs towards a better society.

Since religion is broken, is it fixable? Could we analyze and fix religion like we can analyze and fix an engine by looking at it's components?

Or should we salvage religions for better systems?

I don't believe in the demolition of religion but the demolition of how we use religion. There are things salvageable. Things that could be helpful to use but maybe just tweaked a bit to run in a better system. I wish I can think of some examples that I'm sure some of you can come up with some things tought in a bible class that can be tweaked for the better. Like instead of having all of your love dedicated to a higher being, focus it onto yourself.

Can we unify theists and atheists into some common ground?

What are the problems of religion?

What could fix religion?

What is the purpose of a religion?

Religion as tools, can we build a better system based on better tools?

Purpose
Thought
Action
Monitor
Immune
Defense
Reproduction

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Since religion is

Quote:
Since religion is broken, is it fixable?

Not all religions are “broken”.  Even the every-day teachings of religion are not necessarily broken across the board.  Most times when people go to mass they are educated about love, and respect.  The problem is that the lend credibility and justification to the more fanatical reasoning’s since they stand in front of the extremist statements which are already in the religious books.  I don’t know if the current religions of today can be salvaged as long as they are reliant on their “infallible” books and as long as they are promoting the belief that “faith” is a virtue which should be taken in higher regard than “knowledge”.

Quote:
Could we analyze and fix religion like we can analyze and fix an engine by looking at it's components?

Possibly

Quote:
Or should we salvage religions for better systems?

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
I don't believe in the demolition of religion but the demolition of how we use religion.

Do you mean religion in general, or mainstream active religions? There are many religions out there, even atheistic religions.

Quote:
There are things salvageable. Things that could be helpful to use but maybe just tweaked a bit to run in a better system. I wish I can think of some examples that I'm sure some of you can come up with some things tought in a bible class that can be tweaked for the better. Like instead of having all of your love dedicated to a higher being, focus it onto yourself.

This is in direct contrast with the majority of religions in the world today.  To eliminate the deity and praising of the deity factor is likely to eliminate the reason to have the faith in the first place.

Quote:

Theists and atheists unite on many issues all the time.

Quote:

This is a big question. I think I cover the majority of my strong reasons on this page: Why fight for atheism?

Quote:
What could fix religion?

Broad question.  I don’t know if there is a “fix” for current mainstream religions outside of trying to increase the acceptance of skepticism and having future generations question their teachings.

Quote:

Explanation for the unknown.  Comfort.  Ignorance.  Fear of Death.

I wrote about Fear of Ignorance as well: Fear of Ignorance

Quote:

I don’t think the tools provided by religion are necessary.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
SteveTheMonkey wrote:What is

SteveTheMonkey wrote:

Organized religion is a business, its first purpose is to make money, its second purpose is to convert more people to make more money, it's third purpose is to utilize its money and influence over people, to influence the greater society to its own benefit so it can make more money

SteveTheMonkey wrote:

What could fix religion?

Remove the organized, moneymaking, society influencing, aspect of it

SteveTheMonkey wrote:

Certainly End organized religion

SteveTheMonkey wrote:

Some of the philosophies of these ancient religions are still relevant today, how would you suggest utilizing them ?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Can we unify theists

Quote:

Isn't that Unitarian Universalism?

Quote:

Too numerous to list. Short answer: It exists.

Quote:
What could fix religion?

An end to it.

Quote:

Control the weak-willed.

Quote:

Religion isn't a tool. It is a weapon and humanity is the ammo.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.