People in Hell (or on their way), According to the Tenets of christianity.

todangst's picture

Here is a list of people currently burning in hell according to christianity/passages from the new testament.

(The original idea came from http://www.christslove.com/hell.htm)

JOHN 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Titus 3:5a
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His
mercy He saved us"

Book of John
"He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not
is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the
only begotten Son of God."

Matthew:18:3
"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as
little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

 

 

 

Anne Frank

"...I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are really
good at heart."

How sweet. But people who do not accept Jesus Christ as
their savior still go to Hell. You though the Nazis were bad? Burn in
hell!


Mahatma Ghandi

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His
mercy He saved us"
Burn, Gandhi, burn!

Albert Einstein

E=mc2 this! Non-Christians go to Hell! You had your chance
Albert! Maybe you should have discovered Christianity!


Elie Weisel


Nobel Peace Prize Winner, famous survivor of the Nazi Concentration
Camps.

"Hey Elie, you managed to avoid the flames once, but God
will get you this time!


Christopher Reeves - Humanitarian, President of the Paralysis
Foundation. Atheist.

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His
mercy He saved us"

Don't worry Chris, you'll get all your feeling back now... so you can FEEL THE BURN!


Carl Sagan

- Atheist. The Pulitzer Prize, the TV Show "Cosmos", the
Joseph Priestley Award "for distinguished contributions to the welfare
of mankind", NASA Medals for Exceptional Scientific Achievement, Apollo
Achievement Award, Etc.

Awards don't count for anything if you don't have jesus!

 



Ernest Hemingway

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, Earnest. It tolls for
thee!

 

Isaac Asimov - He was an atheist, and proud of his Jewish heritage.

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into
the lake of fire."

 


The Marx Brothers

….he that believeth not is condemned already"

All non-believers, all Dead, all in Hell! "


The Three Stooges

Hey lame brains! No Jesus? no afterlife!"

 

Charlie Chaplin
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none."

Let's see you laugh off this misfortune, little tramp !

Rodney Dangerfield

Hey, no respect for jesus, no respect for you!

Shari Lewis 

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into
the lake of fire."

Well, let's hope little Lamb Chop accepted his lord and
savior, Shari - or he'll be burning at the end of your arm along with
you!

 

 

Katherine Hepburn

- Multiple Oscar award winning Actor. Atheist.

Now, it's Katherine HepBURN!

 

Our Founding Fathers - Currently burning in HADES!

 "The founders of our nation were nearly all Infidels, and that of the presidents who had thus far been elected [Washington; Adams; Jefferson; Madison; Monroe; Adams; Jackson] not a one had professed a belief in Christianity.... Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."
-- The Reverend Doctor Bird Wilson, an Episcopal minister in Albany, New York, in a sermon preached in October, 1831; first sentence quoted in John E Remsbert, "Six Historic Americans," second sentence quoted in Paul F Boller, George Washington & Religion, pp. 14-15

George Washington

As noted by Franklin Steiner in "The Religious Beliefs Of Our Presidents" (1936), Washington commented on sermons only twice. In his writings, he never referred to "Jesus Christ." He attended church rarely, and did not take communion. When trying to arrange for workmen in 1784 at Mount Vernon, Washington made clear that he would accept "Mohometans, Jews or Christians of any Sect, or they may be Atheists." Washington wrote Lafayette in 1787, "Being no bigot myself, I am disposed to indulge the professors of Christianity in the church that road to heaven which to them shall seem the most direct, plainest, easiest and least liable to exception."

Hey George, can you tell us how it feels to gnash wooden teeth?

 

Ben Franklin

- One of America's Founding Fathers, famous Intellect.

Did not accept the divinity of jesus.

 

Thomas Jefferson

- One of America's Founding Fathers, famous Intellect. Wrote his own version of the bible, which removed all the miraculous elements, as they were clearly nonsense to him.

"….he that believeth not is condemned already"


John Adams

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, from George Seldes, The Great Quotations, also from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

 

God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there never will be any liberal science in the world.
-- John Adams, "this awful blashpemy" that he refers to is the myth of the Incarnation of Christ, from Ira D Cardiff, What Great Men Think of Religion, quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

James Monroe

 

James Madison

 

Abraham Lincoln - doubted the divnity of jesus.

"….he that believeth not is condemned already"

Looks like that assassin's bullet was only the beginning of
your problems, Honest Abe!

Other famous Americans

Thomas Edison

"I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious
ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a
personal God."

Oh yeah? Well, let's see if you can invent something to keep
you cool in hell!

 
George Carlin

"religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man
living in the sky, and he has a special list of ten things he does not
want you to do. And if you do any of these things he will send you to a
place full of fire, and smoke, and burn and torture forever and ever
'till the end of time.... but he loves you. And he needs money."


Gene Kelly

Actor, singer, dancer, - agnostic who spoke out against organized
religion

Let's see you sing in the flames, Gene!

 
Walt Disney

- American cartoonist, showman, and film producer - not a
member of any formal religion

M. i. c...... See you in hell!

k. e. y.... Why? Because you didn't accept jesus!

For all e- tern- i- ty!

Charles Schultz

- Cartoonist, creator of "Peanuts" Atheist.

And you thought Charlie Brown was a loser - Burn for all eternity,
Charles!

Some Well Beloved Brits, currently roasting in HELL!


John Lennon

Lyrics From his 1970 song "God" (album "Plastic Ono Band"Eye-wink:

God is a concept by which we can measure our pain...
I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles...
I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality.'

In a 1965 Interview:

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity."

"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong."

1971 interview by Tariq Ali and Robin Blackburn:

Tariq Ali: Your latest record and your recent public statements, especially the interviews in Rolling Stone magazine, suggest that your views are becoming increasingly radical and political. When did this start to happen?

John Lennon: ... In my case I've never not been political, though religion tended to overshadow it in my acid days; that would be around '65 or '66. And that religion was directly the result of all that superstar shit--religion was an outlet for my repression. I thought, 'Well, there's something else to life, isn't there? This isn't it, surely?'

Later in the interview:

... At one time I was so much involved in the religious bullshit that I used to go around calling myself a Christian Communist, but as Janov says, religion is legalised madness. It was therapy that stripped away all that and made me feel my own pain.

... Well, his thing is to feel the pain that's accumulated inside you ever since your childhood. I had to do it to really kill off all the religious myths. In the therapy you really feel every painful moment of your life--it's excruciating, you are forced to realise that your pain, the kind that makes you wake up afraid with your heart pounding, is really yours and not the result of somebody up in the sky. It's the result of your parents and your environment.

As I realised this it all started to fall into place. This therapy forced me to have done with all the God shit. All of us growing up have come to terms with too much pain. Although we repress it, it's still there. The worst pain is that of not being wanted, of realising your parents do not need you in the way you need them.

... Most people channel their pain into God or masturbation or some dream of making it.

... It's a bit of a drag to say so, but I don't think you can understand this unless you've gone through it--though I try to put some of it over on the album. But for me at any rate it was all part of dissolving the God trip or father-figure trip. Facing up to reality instead of always looking for some kind of heaven.

Peace, love? Let's see how that hippie nonsense helps you
now in hell, Johnny boy!

Douglas Adams

From The American Atheist

If you describe yourself as “Atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘Agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean Atheist. I really do not believe that there is a god - in fact I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one. It’s easier to say that I am a radical Atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously. It’s funny how many people are genuinely surprised to hear a view expressed so strongly. In England we seem to have drifted from vague wishy-washy Anglicanism to vague wishy-washy Agnosticism - both of which I think betoken a desire not to have to think about things too much.

People will then often say “But surely it’s better to remain an Agnostic just in case?” This, to me, suggests such a level of silliness and muddle that I usually edge out of the conversation rather than get sucked into it. (If it turns out that I’ve been wrong all along, and there is in fact a god, and if it further turned out that this kind of legalistic, cross-your-fingers-behind-your-back, Clintonian hair-splitting impressed him, then I think I would chose not to worship him anyway.)

I don’t accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me “Well, you haven’t been there, have you? You haven’t seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese is equally valid” - then I can’t even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof, and in the case of god, as in the case of the composition of the moon, this has shifted radically. God used to be the best explanation we’d got, and we’ve now got vastly better ones. God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining.

 

Here are some still among the living, on their way to HELL!

James Randi
Conjurer/Investigator/Author

"I am frequently approached following lectures and loudly asked if I am a Christian and/or whether I believe in God -- the assumption being that I understand what the questioner means by both terms. My answer has always been that I have found no compelling reason to adopt such beliefs. Infuriated by such a response . . . [they] usually turn away and leave ringing in the air a declaration that there is just no point in trying to reason with me and that I will be 'prayed for.'

"I have no need of this patronization, nor of such a condescending attitude, and I resent it. I consider such an action to be a feeble defense for a baseless superstition and a retreat from reality." - From Randi's book The Faith Healers, page 303.

Here's a trick for you to try, Mr. "Amazing" - try to escape from hell without Jesus!

Penn Jillette

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5015557

“I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows, and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough… It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. ”

Hey, it's a good thing you're not the silent one, this way, we can hear you scream!

Jody Foster

From: The Georgia Straight, Interview with Jodie Foster by Dan McLeod, July 10-17, 1997; page 43.

Q. Where does Jodie Foster stand in the debate between science and faith?

A. I absolutely believe what Ellie believes (Foster played the role of Dr. Eleanor Arroway, a radio astronomer in the movie Contact, based upon the best-selling novel by Dr. Carl Sagan. ) There is no direct evidence (of god), so how could you ask me to believe in God when there's absolutely no evidence that I can see? I do believe in the beauty and the awe-inspiring mystery of the science that's out there that we haven't discovered yet, that there are scientific explanations for phenomena that we call mystical because we don't know any better.

Hey Jodie, don't you know that the wisdom of this world is foolishness? God's going to burn you for using your mind!

Ron Reagan Jr

Son of the 40th president of the United States

I wonder how daddy will live in eternal bliss knowing his son is burning in hell?

Jack Nicholson - Oscar award winning Actor. Atheist.

Wait till they get a load of you Jack, in HELL!

Jerry Seinfeld
Hey, didya ever notice how hot it is in hell?

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

Hey Kirk and Spock - Let's see Scotty beam you out of this
mess!

Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees

Hey hey! You'll burn in flames!


Bob Geldof - Humanitarian Activist.

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His
mercy He saved us"

Rather than spending all that time feeding people, you ought to have been on your knees and asking for salvation!

 

Matt Groening
Cartoonist/Animator/Producer/Screenwriter

From a February 1, 1999 profile of Groening in the Denver Post:

Matt Groening -- the executive producer of "The Simpsons," who pokes a lot of fun at religion -- was asked by The New York Times whether he believed in God and what he considers the most comical story in the Bible.

Said Groening: "I was very disturbed when Jesus found a demon in a guy, and he put the demon in a herd of pigs, then sent them off a cliff. What did the pigs do? I could never figure that out. It just seemed very un-Christian. Technically, I'm an agnostic, but I definitely believe in hell -- especially after watching the fall TV schedule."

Julia Sweeney

Julia Sweeney is a comedian and playwright, well-known both for her stint on Saturday Night Live (She created the character "Pat."Eye-wink and for writing and performing the hit Broadway show, "God Said Ha!" (produced also as a film).

Link to her show:

"Letting Go Of god"

God said "Ha!" and gave you cancer. Guess what he has in store for you next!

 

Carrie Fisher

"I love the idea of God, but it's not stylistically in keeping with the way I function. I would describe myself as an enthusiastic agnostic who would be happy to be shown that there is a God. I can see that people who believe in God are happier. My brother is. My dad is, too. But I doubt." as recorded by Jon Winokur, editor, in The Portable Curmudgeon Redux, 1992, p. 302.

Obi Wan won't be able to save you this time!

 

Quick recap:

 

Hitler wanted to burn Anne Frank. For this, we call him evil. The christian god burns Anne Frank for all eternity. For this, christians call him 'just'

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Hambydammit's picture

Damn.  82 reads and not a

Damn.  82 reads and not a single comment.

I think this needs to get to the front for a while.

Just for grins and giggles, guess who's in heaven...

Gary Leon Ridgway, serial killer known as the Green River Killer, responsible for 48 murders -- as far as we know.  It's all he confessed to, anyway.   He was a devoutly religious (Christian!) man who clearly believed in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

todangst's picture

I actually don't mind a

I actually don't mind a lack of comments. Most of them are from theists and the overwhelming majority of their responses are usually already dealt with within the post itself!

 

That said, thanks for your feeback. I have thought of making a "guess who's in heaven list" and yes, it would include some rather infamous fellows.... as long as you confess that you're a sinner, you gain access to 'heaven'... remember, "works matter not" works both ways...

It just goes to show how idiotic this all is, if you follow through what christians claim about their heaven and hell and actually think about who goes to heaven/hell.... 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Susan's picture

Each Page Has More Info

I went directly to the last page, thinking there were that many comments.

Surprise! Each page has more information (and some cool pictures).

I suggest that everyone that comes to this blog post to be sure and read each of the four pages. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit's picture

I was actually waiting for

I was actually waiting for razorphreak to chime in. I'll go ahead and answer for him.

"The bible tells us not to judge others. We don't know for sure that any serial killers 'really' believed in Jesus. Maybe they were lying. Maybe they were crazy. We don't know for sure that Jesus didn't appear bodily to Ghandi six nanoseconds before his death and convince him to believe. Blah, blah, blah, blah..."

No true scotsman to begin with, and the answer misses the whole point that the way god supposedly has it set up, All those people you listed might well be in hell... as things stand, if they were telling the truth, they are, unless god lied. Surely someone good is in hell, and if there is one, then the point is still made adequately. If there is one murderer in heaven, then my point is also adequately made.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Vastet's picture

I can't say as I'll complain

I can't say as I'll complain about Sheri Lewis. She annoyed the hell out of me. Turn around is fair play.

Carrie Fisher isn't dead yet. How could she be in hell? Oh, I see. Some of this is predetermined. Well, those still alive theoretically still have a chance to escape their fake doom.
And out of personal nitpicking(yes, I must), it wasn't Obi-Wan who saved Leia. Ever, actually. Luke, Han, Bail, and a number of others under the right circumstances. Obi-Wan never even met her after Bail Organa took her to Alderaan. He kinda lost his head. And the rest of him. > >

Jack Nicholson in hell? Watch out satan. I think Jack will kick your ass and take your job. He knows the part, and noone can play it better.

My question is, what dispicable despots can you point to as going to heaven? I have a feeling that might be a bit more eye catching than who's going to hell.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

todangst's picture

Vastet wrote: I can't say

Vastet wrote:
I can't say as I'll complain about Sheri Lewis. She annoyed the hell out of me. Turn around is fair play. Carrie Fisher isn't dead yet. How could she be in hell? Oh, I see. Some of this is predetermined. Well, those still alive theoretically still have a chance to escape their fake doom. And out of personal nitpicking(yes, I must), it wasn't Obi-Wan who saved Leia. Ever, actually. Luke, Han, Bail, and a number of others under the right circumstances. Obi-Wan never even met her after Bail Organa took her to Alderaan. He kinda lost his head.

If you remember Star Wars, you remember that she specifically asks Obi Wan to save her. That's the point. 

Quote:
 

My question is, what dispicable despots can you point to as going to heaven? I have a feeling that might be a bit more eye catching than who's going to hell.

 

Martin Luther and John Calvin are two of the most dispicable people I can think of... they are both 'in heaven' according to the passages I cite above. 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

What about Hitler? He was a

What about Hitler? He was a theist but I'm not sure if he accepted Jesus..

BGH's picture

Great list Todangst!

Great list Todangst!

Vastet's picture

Quote: If you remember Star

Quote:
If you remember Star Wars, you remember that she specifically asks Obi Wan to save her. That's the point.

Well yeah, but Obi Wan rejoined the force before he could help her. Still, I have to let it go since it is right....

"from a certain point of view"

Eye-wink

Quote:
Martin Luther and John Calvin are two of the most dispicable people I can think of... they are both 'in heaven' according to the passages I cite above.

Good examples I think.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Largo's picture

sweet. But people who do not

todangst wrote:
How sweet. But people who do not accept Jesus Christ as their savior still go to Hell. You though the Nazis were bad? Burn in hell!
You say this with such apparent glee. That you can contemplate the suffering, no, eternal suffering of this child with equanimity, much less pleasure, reveals so much more about you than it does about Anne Frank. You are a monster. One gets the feeling from this and so many other comments of yours here (appropriately in red) that, given the power to carry out their punishments you would enjoy yourself as Adlolph Eichmann did in carrying out his grizzly "duty." Most Christians believe in everlasting punishment, but I doubt that many have actually contemplated what it means. You obviously have, and that you equally obviously enjoy the idea makes you almost as great a monster as the god you believe in.

todangst's picture

I'm not a theist. I'm an

I'm not a theist. I'm an atheist showing just how barbaric this god would have to be.... you're taking this literally, when I am posting it sarcastically...

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Largo's picture

todangst wrote: I'm not a

todangst wrote:

I'm not a theist. I'm an atheist showing just how barbaric this god would have to be.... you're taking this literally, when I am posting it sarcastically...

I apologize. I don't know everybody here yet. I've been on this site for about a week. Your remarks in that piece were very like ones I have heard from some theists. Fortunately not all theists think or write that way.

By the way, that was a great picture of Carrie Fisher!

todangst's picture

Largo wrote: todangst

Largo wrote:
todangst wrote:

I'm not a theist. I'm an atheist showing just how barbaric this god would have to be.... you're taking this literally, when I am posting it sarcastically...

I apologize. I don't know everybody here yet. I've been on this site for about a week. Your remarks in that piece were very like ones I have heard from some theists. Fortunately not all theists think or write that way.

By the way, that was a great picture of Carrie Fisher!

 

That's pretty much the reason I put her on the list! 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Cpt_pineapple's picture

Wasn't Christ Jewish?

Wasn't Christ Jewish?

todangst's picture

Cpt_pineapple wrote:Wasn't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Wasn't Christ Jewish?

 

Yep. Also presumably a man. But also homousian with 'god', rendering all those points moot.

 

How do you feel abou the fact that, according to your bible, right after Anne Frank died in the camp from typhus or dysentery, that she went straight to hell?

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Cpt_pineapple's picture

todangst wrote:   How do

todangst wrote:

 

How do you feel abou the fact that, according to your bible, right after Anne Frank died in the camp from typhus or dysentery, that she went straight to hell?

She didn't

todangst's picture

Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
todangst wrote:

 

How do you feel abou the fact that, according to your bible, right after Anne Frank died in the camp from typhus or dysentery, that she went straight to hell?

She didn't

Again, how do you feel that, according to your bible, she went straight to hell?

Book of John:
"He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of theonly begotten Son of God."

 

Please don't respond again by simply dodging the question, as there's limited space here. 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Cpt_pineapple's picture

todangst wrote:   Again,

todangst wrote:

 

Again, how do you feel that, according to your bible, she went straight to hell?

Book of John:
"He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of theonly begotten Son of God."

 

Please don't respond again by simply dodging the question, as there's limited space here. 

 

I didn't dodge the question.

 

You're assuming I'm Christian. On top of that you're assuming I take the bible literally. You said "according to YOUR bible" .  I don't take the bible literally.  My interputation is living the life of Christ, (moral etc..)  not doing bad things than saying "I believe in Christ" than getting a free pass. 

todangst's picture

Cpt_pineapple wrote: I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

 

I didn't dodge the question.

Yes. You. Did.

The question is this:

Again, how do you feel that, according to your bible, she went straight to hell?

Book of John:
"He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of theonly begotten Son of God."

 

Quote:

You're assuming I'm Christian.

If you're not a christian, then the question doesn't apply to you. If this is the case, then please post elsewhere.

Quote:

On top of that you're assuming I take the bible literally.

That's completley immaterial to this discussion.

Again, for the third time, this is the question:

"How do you feel that, according to your bible, she went straight to hell? "

This is what the bible says. I am not interested in hearing how you rationalize the problem away.  If you are a christian, and accept the bible, then either respond to the question without dodging it or stop wasting my time. I really am not interested in how you rationalize the problem away, your psychological defenses are your concern, not mine.

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Could you explain what

Could you explain what exactly you are mocking? What do you think is so ridiculous? Is it that those individuals, who you probably consider to be among the most noble (or at least harmless) people around, would deserve eternal punishment?

deludedgod's picture

Hmmm. I like it as usual,

Hmmm. I like it as usual, todangst. But some of these people are not dead, which means the title is inaccurate. It may need future tense in it.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown's picture

Charles Schultz was an

Charles Schultz was an atheist? Wasn't Peanuts created as a largely Christian-toned comic strip?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Loc's picture

Kevin R Brown wrote:Charles

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Charles Schultz was an atheist? Wasn't Peanuts created as a largely Christian-toned comic strip?

I have no idea,but I can't say I ever noticed a particularly chrsitian theme.

On the OP,excellent stuff. I'm just sad I never saw it before now.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit's picture

(No subject)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

This is the best page

 I love this page, its is so funny I laughed my ass off. First I really like how some of the people you listed are not even dead yet and a lot of them you claim are going to hell for just being Jewish. If you remember correctly the Jewish people are Gods chosen people so they must go to heaven. In addition only about 30% of the world is christian so that means about 70% of people are going to hell and how many of those people are actually saved, lets say 10%, if god has such a plan why does he plan for people to go to hell, what is the purpose. I know it says the gate to heaven is narrow but wow, is god losing the war to the devil? I have tried to be christian and it just makes me sad. 

zpgrimm wrote: I love this

zpgrimm wrote:

 I love this page, its is so funny I laughed my ass off. First I really like how some of the people you listed are not even dead yet and a lot of them you claim are going to hell for just being Jewish. If you remember correctly the Jewish people are Gods chosen people so they must go to heaven. In addition only about 30% of the world is christian so that means about 70% of people are going to hell and how many of those people are actually saved, lets say 10%, if god has such a plan why does he plan for people to go to hell, what is the purpose. I know it says the gate to heaven is narrow but wow, is god losing the war to the devil? I have tried to be christian and it just makes me sad. 

This is why I advocate not even indulging the premises of such fictions. Once one gets into the Superman versus Mighty Mouse level of discourse, all that remains is a battle of interpretations of unmitigated flubber-dubber. Oh, but I suppose there could be something gained in probing how different kinds of Christ-punchers and Mo-munchers think, but who really wants to dirty their hands?

What's the point of this topic?

If you have the guts to post this and not take it down or edit it, I might begin to believe you're interested in truth.

Aside from Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and possibly some others I've missed. I would have to agree with the writer that these people are in hell or are in danger of being there after death.

It's funny how for some of the names, you provide quotes of "good" things they've said and all for the reason of generating indignation toward Jesus Christ, the Bible, and Christians. But we have to ask: is truth the truth or is it wishful thinking? I mean I would wish that some of the actors, actresses, song writers, etc listed were Christian, but if only for the fact I may like them in their respective professions, how does this affect truth in any way? It would make since if you were making the claim that 'because i like someone for some 'good' reason, they deserve to be in heaven when they die,' but that would be silly. Right?

For those of you who write things like 'this person is "good" or that is person is "good", or that person is "evil", isn't that the very thing that is debated between Christians and Atheists? Who has the exclusive rights to morality? You argue as if there exists an exhaustive list of good and evil deeds/conducts/attitude and everyone knows it, but only Christians or theists are rebelling against it.

The thing you ought to know atheists is that if atheism is true you wouldn't know right from wrong (there also wouldn't be intelligence). All there would exist would be opinions. There couldn't be moral absolutes that transcend human opinions. All this talk about this good person or that good person would be nothing but your opinion or a group of people's opinions. Rapists, child molesters, sadists would (should) have equal say. If some powerful warlord had the might to enforce his will on you, you would be his butt buddy if he chose it and what obligation would he have to treat you any different?

My point is, if anything you people write is to argue your point that Christians are blah, blah, blah, you're doing a poor job at it.

You might persuade people to side with your "opinion" base of apathy or compassion, but certainly not based on truth or sound reasoning.

At the very least, as a Christian, I can account for the things we experience in the world as humans. I can account for the moral and ethical component of our being, the science and inquiry we engage in, the logic and reasoning our minds are capable of exercising, but as atheist you shouldn't be able to. But the fact that you as an atheist cannot explain yourself logically/coherently ought to be proof enough that atheist is nonsense.

You'll say in sexual relations, anything goes, don't impose your views on us, but turn around and condemn rapist and child molesters and morally repudiate necrophiliacs

You'll say we're nothing but a mix of chemicals and matter controlled by the laws of physics and chemistry but kiss your wife, husband, mom, son, daughter, loved one as if there is something called "love"

You'll claim man is nothing but another product of a material universe, not any more important than a dog, horse, or snail, but turn around and honor a friend at his funeral or a child with down syndrome.

The point is you atheists are a walking contradiction, you can't bring into harmony what you do and your professed philosophical view.

Also, don't pretend to know what the Bible claims, when you read what you want to read and exclude or deny the rest of the text. Or find blatantly deluded people who claim to be Christians as the spokes-person for us. It doesn't make you right, only desperate and more condemnable as the time approaches.

Know that the logical result of atheism are rapists, murderers, criminals, and the like. These are not the exception.

Obviously this venue limits me to what I want to say. If any of you have the guts to debate me in public, email me and we'll see about arranging that. I'm in Charlotte, NC

Vastet's picture

AtheistAreFunny wrote:If you

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

If you have the guts to post this and not take it down or edit it, I might begin to believe you're interested in truth.

If you ever come back I might think this of you. I'm not holding my breath however.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

Aside from Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and possibly some others I've missed. I would have to agree with the writer that these people are in hell or are in danger of being there after death.

So gods' an asshole, and doesn't deserve our respect, let alone our worship. Thanks for backing up the intent of this topic.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

It's funny how for some of the names, you provide quotes of "good" things they've said and all for the reason of generating indignation toward Jesus Christ, the Bible, and Christians. But we have to ask: is truth the truth or is it wishful thinking?

Truth is clearly defined, and it does not mean what you theists tend to pretend it means. Truth, in the eyes of a theist, is actually wishful thinking in the eyes of anyone with a grounding in reality that doesn't depend on invisible friends that never do anything.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:
 I mean I would wish that some of the actors, actresses, song writers, etc listed were Christian, but if only for the fact I may like them in their respective professions, how does this affect truth in any way? It would make since if you were making the claim that 'because i like someone for some 'good' reason, they deserve to be in heaven when they die,' but that would be silly. Right?

Actually, it's silly to believe in a heaven in the first place. Same thing with a hell. Both are broken and incomprehensible concepts that fly in the face of physics and everything we have ever observed as a species.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

For those of you who write things like 'this person is "good" or that is person is "good", or that person is "evil", isn't that the very thing that is debated between Christians and Atheists? Who has the exclusive rights to morality? You argue as if there exists an exhaustive list of good and evil deeds/conducts/attitude and everyone knows it, but only Christians or theists are rebelling against it.

Theists are generally the only ones who claim there is absolute morality. We recognize the truth: Morality is subjective. There is no such thing as objective morality. It is a self defeating misuse of language. Like a square that is a circle. Or a green that is black.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

The thing you ought to know atheists is that if atheism is true you wouldn't know right from wrong (there also wouldn't be intelligence).

Ridiculous, on multiple levels. I'd get into it, but you didn't. And I'm not sure you'll be back. So I'm not going to bother. I suspect we'd have to redress your entire education starting at the first grade to get you to understand how wrong you are on this count.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:
All there would exist would be opinions. There couldn't be moral absolutes that transcend human opinions. All this talk about this good person or that good person would be nothing but your opinion or a group of people's opinions.

Bingo! The only difference between my morality and yours is that I recognize the source of my morality is myself. You pretend someone else came up with the idea and the rules, and you blindly follow under threat of eternal torture. Something I don't need to believe in order to follow my moralilty.  

 

AtheistAreFunny wrote:
Rapists, child molesters, sadists would (should) have equal say. If some powerful warlord had the might to enforce his will on you, you would be his butt buddy if he chose it and what obligation would he have to treat you any different?

This is really too easy. Why should these people have equal say? They prey on society, they don't cooperate with it. Society has no obligation to cooperate with individuals who prey upon it.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

My point is, if anything you people write is to argue your point that Christians are blah, blah, blah, you're doing a poor job at it.

Look in the mirror much?

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

You might persuade people to side with your "opinion" base of apathy or compassion, but certainly not based on truth or sound reasoning.

How very amusing for me it is that you got this so totally backwards.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:
At the very least, as a Christian, I can account for the things we experience in the world as humans. I can account for the moral and ethical component of our being, the science and inquiry we engage in, the logic and reasoning our minds are capable of exercising, but as atheist you shouldn't be able to. But the fact that you as an atheist cannot explain yourself logically/coherently ought to be proof enough that atheist is nonsense.

Rofl. Maybe grade 1 was a bit ambitious. Do you have any scientific understanding at all? Physics? Evolution? Gravity? ANYTHING?

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

You'll say in sexual relations, anything goes, don't impose your views on us, but turn around and condemn rapist and child molesters and morally repudiate necrophiliacs

Rapists and child molesters violate the victims rights, given to the victim by society. Therefore society returns the favour and takes away the rights of the criminals.

Your god had nothing to do and nothing to say about it. Society developed this on its own.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

You'll say we're nothing but a mix of chemicals and matter controlled by the laws of physics and chemistry but kiss your wife, husband, mom, son, daughter, loved one as if there is something called "love"

And it's because of something called "neurons" that you can feel anything, let alone love.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:
You'll claim man is nothing but another product of a material universe, not any more important than a dog, horse, or snail, but turn around and honor a friend at his funeral or a child with down syndrome.

Subjective. You care about the hundred odd people who died in the last few seconds? How did you honour them then? How are you honouring them now?

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

The point is you atheists are a walking contradiction, you can't bring into harmony what you do and your professed philosophical view.

If you people ever pulled your heads out of your asses and actually attempted to understand the arguments at hand, religion would disappear overnight.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

Also, don't pretend to know what the Bible claims, when you read what you want to read and exclude or deny the rest of the text. Or find blatantly deluded people who claim to be Christians as the spokes-person for us. It doesn't make you right, only desperate and more condemnable as the time approaches.

A mixture of a strawman and a no-true-scotsman.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

Know that the logical result of atheism are rapists, murderers, criminals, and the like. These are not the exception.

Ridiculous.

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

Obviously this venue limits me to what I want to say. If any of you have the guts to debate me in public, email me and we'll see about arranging that. I'm in Charlotte, NC

I'm in Brockville Ontario. Pack your bags and bring it on.

vastet1@yahoo.ca

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

butterbattle's picture

AtheistAreFunny wrote:If you

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

If you have the guts to post this and not take it down or edit it, I might begin to believe you're interested in truth.

Aside from Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and possibly some others I've missed. I would have to agree with the writer that these people are in hell or are in danger of being there after death.

It's funny how for some of the names, you provide quotes of "good" things they've said and all for the reason of generating indignation toward Jesus Christ, the Bible, and Christians. But we have to ask: is truth the truth or is it wishful thinking?

That is irrelevant. Todangst's post is not an argument against God, but the morality of God. If God exists, then we don't like his morals.

Quote:
I mean I would wish that some of the actors, actresses, song writers, etc listed were Christian, but if only for the fact I may like them in their respective professions, how does this affect truth in any way?

Again, it doesn't. You completely missed the point.

Quote:
It would make since if you were making the claim that 'because i like someone for some 'good' reason, they deserve to be in heaven when they die,' but that would be silly. Right?

Why is it silly? Do you think Anne Frank should be hell? Don't dodge the question.

Quote:
For those of you who write things like 'this person is "good" or that is person is "good", or that person is "evil", isn't that the very thing that is debated between Christians and Atheists?

That is one subtopic in debate. The main debate is, of course, the existence of God. Once that is resolved, everything else follows.

Quote:
Who has the exclusive rights to morality?

Nobody. That's absurd. Morality is a human concept, and, as such, you have just as much claim on it as I do.

Quote:
You argue as if there exists an exhaustive list of good and evil deeds/conducts/attitude and everyone knows it, but only Christians or theists are rebelling against it.

As if? How?

Quote:
The thing you ought to know atheists is that if atheism is true you wouldn't know right from wrong (there also wouldn't be intelligence).

Why?

Quote:
All there would exist would be opinions.

No, you're wrong. All of reality is still objective and measurable, regardless of whether God exists, and human values, while subjective, wouldn't be any different.

Quote:
There couldn't be moral absolutes that transcend human opinions.

Of course not. Morals are a human concept. How could it transcend humanity?

Quote:
All this talk about this good person or that good person would be nothing but your opinion or a group of people's opinions. Rapists, child molesters, sadists would (should) have equal say. If some powerful warlord had the might to enforce his will on you, you would be his butt buddy if he chose it and what obligation would he have to treat you any different?

Because we have decided that it is the right thing to do. Look, you incessantly chime upon how human morals would be worthless if there is no God, but the problem is nothing more than a mental stigma; your argument has nothing to do with whether God exists, only whether you believe that God exists. If you believe that such absolutes exist, then you can satisfy the natural insecurity of not having a perfect worldview to rely on, a morality inherently superior to all others. It is, indeed, your position that must understand that emotions do not influence truth, not mine. It is true that if no transcendent morality exists, then I cannot dogmatically assert that some morality is inherently better than another. I don't think most non-theists would deny that. But, so what? How does that change anything? The only difference now is that humans must rely on themselves to decide what we should value instead of searching in the sky for a source of supernatural comfort. What makes my morality inherently better than a serial killer's? Nothing. So, why should I try to stop him? Because I want to. And, notice how surprising this is on another level. If God doesn't exist, then you'd still arguing for absolute morality; nothing would have changed, except that your morality would be the inferior morality, since it is not based on reason, but faith and fundamentalism.

The argument Todangst made on this page is actually similar to yours. Both presuppose the validity of their respective worldviews. However, your presuppositions comes from a bronze-age compilation of religious stories. Ours come from our own conscience.

Quote:
My point is, if anything you people write is to argue your point that Christians are blah, blah, blah, you're doing a poor job at it.

Blah blah blah?

Quote:
You might persuade people to side with your "opinion" base of apathy or compassion, but certainly not based on truth or sound reasoning.

Would you care to defend your assertions?

Quote:
At the very least, as a Christian, I can account for the things we experience in the world as humans. I can account for the moral and ethical component of our being, the science and inquiry we engage in, the logic and reasoning our minds are capable of exercising, but as atheist you shouldn't be able to. But the fact that you as an atheist cannot explain yourself logically/coherently ought to be proof enough that atheist is nonsense.

Cool, false dichotomy and argument from ignorance. How unoriginal.

Quote:
You'll say in sexual relations, anything goes, don't impose your views on us, but turn around and condemn rapist and child molesters and morally repudiate necrophiliacs

Why not? Everyone does that because they care about what they believe in. Don't tell us what we can or can't do you arrogant twit.   

Quote:
You'll say we're nothing but a mix of chemicals and matter controlled by the laws of physics and chemistry but kiss your wife, husband, mom, son, daughter, loved one as if there is something called "love"

Wow, more fallacies. Why am I not surprised? Please look up naturalistic fallacy as well as fallacy of compilation.

Quote:
You'll claim man is nothing but another product of a material universe, not any more important than a dog, horse, or snail, but turn around and honor a friend at his funeral or a child with down syndrome.

*sigh*

Quote:
The point is you atheists are a walking contradiction, you can't bring into harmony what you do and your professed philosophical view.

You have the supernatural worldview. Feeling the harmony?

Quote:
Also, don't pretend to know what the Bible claims, when you read what you want to read and exclude or deny the rest of the text. Or find blatantly deluded people who claim to be Christians as the spokes-person for us. It doesn't make you right, only desperate and more condemnable as the time approaches.

Okay, now, please look up 'naked assertion' and 'True Scotsman fallacy.'

Quote:
Know that the logical result of atheism are rapists, murderers, criminals, and the like. These are not the exception.

Oh, celebrating your victory over the evil puppy-torturers already?

Quote:
Obviously this venue limits me to what I want to say. If any of you have the guts to debate me in public, email me and we'll see about arranging that. I'm in Charlotte, NC

Ha...ha...ha...

Welcome to Rational Responders.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

todangst's picture

zpgrimm wrote: I love this

zpgrimm wrote:

 I love this page, its is so funny I laughed my ass off. First I really like how some of the people you listed are not even dead

Most already are, the rest are on their way, according to the passages I cite from the bible. Is the fact that some of them are still alive really a problem for you?

 

Quote:
yet and a lot of them you claim are going to hell for just being Jewish. If you remember correctly the Jewish people are Gods chosen people so they must go to heaven.

Your claim is not only not biblical, but in contradiction to the passages from the bible I cite in the essay.

 

Being "god's chosen' people is NOT given as a way to be saved. The bible is rather clear that only jews in the last generation, who turn to christ, will be saved.

 

Quote:

In addition only about 30% of the world is christian so that means about 70% of people are going to hell 

This is why I made this post: to put a face on the people you think deserve to go to hell.

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

todangst's picture

AtheistAreFunny wrote:If you

AtheistAreFunny wrote:

If you have the guts to post this and not take it down or edit it, I might begin to believe you're interested in truth.

I think you're the one with a problem with the truth.

Quote:

Aside from Abraham Lincoln and George Washington and possibly some others I've missed. I would have to agree with the writer that these people are in hell or are in danger of being there after death.

It's funny how for some of the names, you provide quotes of "good" things they've said and all for the reason of generating indignation toward Jesus Christ, the Bible, and Christians.

The actual point of the post (which you've obviously missed) is to put a face on the people that you so gleefully accept as deserving of eternal torture.

 

Everything else you write is just the typical blather I read from people with a high school level grasp of theology and philosophy. If you want to debate, quit pretending that I'm a coward if I don't drop everything and buy a ticket to North Carolina to debate a total stranger who's challenged me on the internet.

If you want a debate, start a debate, here. On the net. Where it's convenient.

 

Or is that precisely what you seek to avoid?

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

postings

hey if you read your own scripture Christian belief is that we are all deserving of Hell, but only through the grace of Jesus Christ are we saved.  Yes there are people with a holier than though attitude, but that is not what the bible teaches.  Yes, if the people you listed were not Christians they are going to Hell.  It saddens me and I am sorry that I was not able to do better and help my fellow man kind, as all Christians should be.  We as Christians fail on a daily basis and honestly are no better than non-believers.  However, your argument would be what makes Christians better than non-believers, the answer would be that we do no think we are better for we are not better than any of our fellow man; however, it is in this realization that we put our trust in a greater being which is the only thing capable of saving us from Hell.  Not to mention President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, yes it was not his fault, what does that tell you about all the awards you listed?

stuntgibbon's picture

curiousity wrote:hey if you

curiousity wrote:

hey if you read your own scripture Christian belief is that we are all deserving of Hell, but only through the grace of Jesus Christ are we saved.  Yes there are people with a holier than though attitude, but that is not what the bible teaches.  Yes, if the people you listed were not Christians they are going to Hell.  It saddens me and I am sorry that I was not able to do better and help my fellow man kind, as all Christians should be.  We as Christians fail on a daily basis and honestly are no better than non-believers.  However, your argument would be what makes Christians better than non-believers, the answer would be that we do no think we are better for we are not better than any of our fellow man; however, it is in this realization that we put our trust in a greater being which is the only thing capable of saving us from Hell.  Not to mention President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, yes it was not his fault, what does that tell you about all the awards you listed?

 

Very timely reply, thanks!

 

Vastet's picture

curiousity wrote:Blah blah

curiousity wrote:
Blah blah blah

What a load of BS.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Taste of it

You don't believe in God? Well.. i'll one day pass by the Hell door you will enter when going to heaven. I'm sure you'll beg for Mercy at that time but it would be too late for you.  Don't read a whole lot of things the devil has written through people just to get some of you. May God have mercy on your soul. That goes to every one who hates Jesus Christ. Turn to him and just confess him as your Lord and savior and you'll be saved. If not, You'll burn in HELL. If you don't believe him, please don't convince others not to. I see all you people as your master.  (SATAN)

The good news is that, you have a second chance to be right with God. I love Jesus and i believe with all my heart that he's the son of God who came to die for you and i, that through him we will be saved.

butterbattle's picture

Welcome to the

Welcome to the forum.

Phill-GH wrote:
Well.. i'll one day pass by the Hell door you will enter when going to heaven.

I don't believe in hell or heaven.

Phill-GH wrote:
I'm sure you'll beg for Mercy at that time but it would be too late for you.

Ooohh, scary.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Phill-GH wrote:You don't

Phill-GH wrote:

You don't believe in God? Well.. i'll one day pass by the Hell door you will enter when going to heaven. I'm sure you'll beg for Mercy at that time but it would be too late for you.  Don't read a whole lot of things the devil has written through people just to get some of you. May God have mercy on your soul. That goes to every one who hates Jesus Christ. Turn to him and just confess him as your Lord and savior and you'll be saved. If not, You'll burn in HELL. If you don't believe him, please don't convince others not to. I see all you people as your master.  (SATAN)

The good news is that, you have a second chance to be right with God. I love Jesus and i believe with all my heart that he's the son of God who came to die for you and i, that through him we will be saved.

Lies and threats? that the

Lies and threats? that the best you got?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Kapkao's picture

necroposter wrote: utter

necroposter wrote:
utter shit

You bumped an obselete thread all the way to the top just to tell us this? Not very quick on the uptake, are you?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Nooooo! Walt Disney is in

Nooooo! Walt Disney is in Hell? Very disappointing.

Sapient's picture

 This page first post has

 This page first post has just been fixed.  

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.