New Year's Peeve.

Sage_Override's picture

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I find the entire ritual behind getting all hyped up about a new year INCREDIBLY pretentious in every regard.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older and the more I learn and absorb, the more I see how retarded these meaningless celebrations are and why they don't contribute to anything except waste and potential trouble.  Every single New Year's Eve party I've ever been to has ended up with dumb asses puking all over the place, drunk morons, fights, horrendous music, ugly bitches hanging all over me and terrible drinks.  Not only that, but the next day, you read about all the dip shits that died driving home drunk, the fools arrested at checkpoints, people getting shot by stray bullets from guns others fire up in the air or random acts of "celebration" which is just another way of saying "arson, rape, manslaughter or defacing property."

 

Now, most would just be saying "well, you're just sore about not being invited anywhere because you're a curmudgeon and no one likes you."  I'm realistic first of all and second, I was invited to Las Vegas for New Year's this time around with a group of about seven people; some I know and some I barely know.  I came very close to packing my bags, but ended up not going for a few reasons.

 

The first reason was money.  I'm not really poor, but I realized that I've been to Vegas twice this year and every time I came home empty handed.  I usually break even at the slots (I stay FAR away from the tables) and end up spending what I won back on the overpriced food and shows.  Don't get me wrong, the shows are really entertaining, but most of them aren't worth the admission price.  I came close to seeing Penn and Teller last time, but decided on seeing a sexy show called Fantasy that was pretty damn hot, but anyway.  I'm on a strict budget right now and rather than be broke for 2012, I opted to be smarter than my colleagues.

 

The second reason was that I would have had to sleep on a couch in a room with seven other people.  See, one of my good friends that planned this little escapade got two rooms at New York New York for a cheap price because he belongs to one of those gambling clubs and he gambled so much that he got comped a room and another at half price if he wanted it.  He is not a very good organizer so, what ended up happening was he tried cramming everyone into one space because he figured no one would be sleeping much anyway.  While that may be true, that means we'd all have to share one bathroom and if we brought any chick back to the room, we'd be shit out of luck for privacy, not to mention it would be awkward sleeping around people you barely know.  You'd think that he wouldn't invite anyone else to go after this; nope.  He invited three others for a total of ten.  Unacceptable.  Fortunately, the other three paid an extra fee for the second room, but that didn't solve the space problem in the main room.  The fuckers wanted me to pay $100 for the privilege of sleeping on the floor at first, too, but then offered me the couch again since there was more room and kept upping the price of the trip for no reason.  They were taking a shitload of alcohol that I wanted no part of so, that was included in the fee.  I felt bad because he wanted me to go, but I have a low tolerance level for bad planning and trying to weasel me out of my cash. 

 

The third reason was that Las Vegas on New Year's Eve may sound like all fun and games, but it's dangerous and unpredictable to the MAX around this time.  People from all over the world go there just to party for one night and act like bafoons.  It's even worse when everyone planned on going to Fremont Street, which is the poor side of Vegas and is known to have a lot of seedy activity.  Imagine Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but cleaned up a little better since then.  It's for the people that pissed off the casino owners on the main drag one too many times and have no other haven left.  The idea of wandering the strip alone during New Year's Eve because I refused to go to an area that has more prostitute deaths per capita than the entire nation didn't really sit too well with me.

 

The fourth reason, and this may sound silly, is that I can't smoke my weed in peace.  Oh, sure, people smoke all the time and no one says a word, but Nevada cops in Vegas have always been real DICKS about reefer and I really don't know why, legal to patients or not.  Since the late-70s, possession for marijuana has always been strict and I want no part of a jail cell because some disgruntled pig decided his night sucked.  I got my medical card for a reason; to not be harassed by cops.  Since Nevada, along with the other twelve states that provide medicinal marijuana, just won't hop on the fucking bandwagon and recognize OTHER state-issued cards, there's not much I can do short of signing up for one there which is ridiculous because that shit isn't cheap.  Alcohol in place of weed isn't the same because I despise hangovers and hate how it makes me behave and since I would have been sleeping on a fucking couch, I would have needed to do a whole lot o' tokin'. 

 

When something doesn't smell right, my antenna go up and I steer clear.  Hey, call me paranoid and overly cautious if you want, but I have to cover my own ass because no one else will.  I'm looking out for number one.

 

Oh, and "new year's resolutions" are pretty self-defeating also because the moment you say "I resolve to" so and so, you create stress and pressure to fulfill these obligations.  

 

So, on that note, and with all my damn complaints in check, what is everyone doing tonight?

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me

cj's picture

staying at home

I have dogs.  Four of them.  One of whom freaks when fireworks go off - he tries to hide under my husband.  45 pounds of pitiful.  So we stay at home to comfort the dog and to make sure we are there to call 911 if our roof catches fire.  Oregon is one of those states where fireworks are legal the week of the 4th of July.  Supposedly no other time of year.  But people will save them up and lite them just for New Years.  They also go on the reservation and buy stuff that is illegal to buy in town.  Not that I am begrudging the res the extra cash.

Drinking?  Maybe we will splurge on a bottle of wine and have a glass with dinner.  We are both officially diabetic and are no longer used to massive - or even moderate - amounts of alcohol.  Sips is closer to our speed now a days.

The last time I went to a New Years party, some fool drunk decided he had to kiss every woman at the party.  I haven't been to a party where drinking is the goal of the evening since.

I don't smoke - nothing.  I can't stand the taste or smell.  The one time I tried to get hooked on tobacco, I never did get any feeling from the nicotine and the flavor turned me off.  I have never tried to smoke marijuana or hash as I have been at parties where other people smoked.  Y.u.c.k.

We might wake up when the neighbors set off their fireworks at midnight, give the dog a cuddle, give each other a kiss and roll over back to sleep.

 

Edit: resolutions?  nope.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37's picture

Humans are social creatures

Humans are social creatures so celebrating is going to be part of our evolution, always. Now the only time I really get upset over ANY celebration, is when others look down on you if you chose not to partake in it. I am not into these celebrations, but Halloween and 4th of July and even New Years, I was into, but merely the excuse to have beer and hang out with friends.

I am older now so all that stuff is old hat to me and I find I can have beer and fun more simplistically and more cheaply at home. I have to work tomorrow so pragmatically I will go to sleep. And I am not as young as I was so I really don't care to stay up late, any day.

But when I get another opportunity in the future to go to another atheist convention, that will be a celebration itself. I'll hang out at a bar outside the venues and have fun hanging out with other atheists. Don't know when in the future, not any time soon though.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Vastet's picture

Vegas doesn't sound like

Vegas doesn't sound like much fun.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder's picture

Vastet wrote:Vegas doesn't

Vastet wrote:
Vegas doesn't sound like much fun.

For the right events, at the right time, with the right people, it can be quite the blast.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Sage_Override's picture

Vegas is fun if you stick to

Vegas is fun if you stick to certain areas at certain parts of the day.  For example, at night, you stick strictly to everything on the strip.  During the day, you can go anywhere and you'll be cool.  The Red Light District CAN be fun at night if you're desperate for pussy; otherwise, you're just taking a stroll through a filthy area littered with nude pamphlets that guys hand out that feature escorts and numbers you can call to get them back to your hotel.  The best place to hang out is inbetween the strip and downtown because they feature the older part of Vegas and the best drink/food specials.  So, it's not like Vegas isn't fun; you just have to be smart about things and choose when you go. 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me

Beyond Saving's picture

 Honestly I don't get why

 Honestly I don't get why people go out on any holiday.

 

On Valentine's Day millions of schmucks go buy a dozen roses at 2-3 times the usual price then try to take their date to a "romantic" restaurant where your shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of other schmucks. Service sucks because there are so many customers, the food is inconsistent at best because of the demand on the kitchen and all the "specials" are overpriced. It is absolutely amazing any of them manage to get laid after that. My guess is that the only reason they do is because she thinks it is expected.

 

Wait one week and you can get the flowers half price, sit in a nice restaurant relatively alone (or even arrange for a private room with the money you saved from the flowers- most upscale restaurants have them and they are often unused away from the usual busy times of holidays, weddings, proms etc.) For the $150+ you'd spend on flowers and a mediocre meal on V-day you can give her a special and much more personal night. Of course, that's assuming she didn't dump your ass after you didn't buy her flowers on Valentine's. 

 

I would rather suck on the bad end of a .45 than ever take my mom out for brunch on mother's day. Again, you're taking your mom out to eat on a day where you will predictably get sub-standard service and food because of how busy all the restaurants will be. If you actually give a shit about your mother take her out to eat another day and maybe you can actually have a conversation. Doing something special for your mom out of the blue has a lot more meaning than doing on a day where it is socially expected. So if you don't see your mom often for whatever reason, give her a call some random day and take her out. I bet she would appreciate it a lot more. When every radio station in the country is selling "don't forget mother's day" it is hard to pretend that the only reason you called her was because you were thinking about her. IMO the entire purpose of the holiday has been subverted by it being a holiday. 

 

Going to the lake for the 4th of July? So is everyone else dumb ass. If your idea of a good time is sitting on the beach with a bunch of other peoples kids running around, perhaps you ought to be a Catholic priest. 

 

Your going shopping on Black Friday? Obviously, you deserve to be trampled by 300 pound Walmart shoppers. No sale is worth risking your life for or standing in line for. Especially since you can now take advantage of great deals while sitting from the comfort of your computer.  

 

I spent my New Years like I spend most major holidays, at a private dinner party with some close friends. We ate, drank, played some stupid games that are only fun when drunk and enjoyed each others company. Isn't being with people you actually care about and enjoy being with what holidays are supposed to be for?

cj's picture

Actually, BS

I agree.

Want to have a great time camping?  Try the weekend after Labor Day (in the US that is the second weekend in September).  Weather is still great and the camp grounds are deserted.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sage_Override's picture

Quote:Isn't being with

Quote:
Isn't being with people you actually care about and enjoy being with what holidays are supposed to be for?

 

Should be that way; in reality, the holidays are about getting drunk around your family members, wearing stupid Cosby sweaters and hoping that you don't say anything too stupid.  Oh, and if you're Irish-Catholic, that means keeping your fists from flying.  

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me

Vastet's picture

Regarding the OP, I can't

Regarding the OP, I can't say the pretence bothers me more than any other part of the year. The whole calendar is centred on theism. Names of days of the week, the number of days in the week, names of months, the number of months, and everything about the year that has anything more to it than complete orbits of the Earth. So no particular holiday bothers me, because they're all based in the most primitive and ancient measuring system still in use today.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sage_Override's picture

Quote:Regarding the OP, I

Quote:
Regarding the OP, I can't say the pretence bothers me more than any other part of the year. The whole calendar is centred on theism. Names of days of the week, the number of days in the week, names of months, the number of months, and everything about the year that has anything more to it than complete orbits of the Earth. So no particular holiday bothers me, because they're all based in the most primitive and ancient measuring system still in use today.

 

Just about every holidays bugs me to a certain degree, but the "New Year" thing really tweaks my man-nipples more and more.  My gripe from the get-go was that the majority of people feel this urge to go out on New Year's Eve and do something really stupid when they have the entire year to do the exact same shit.  If they need a reason, and it's not on a holiday, then create one; a "Eat Pie And Drink Beer Day."  Problem is if you go around doing that while advertising your good cheer, then people will look at you strangely because that doesn't follow the socially mandated norm of festivals and we should be a good little automatons and obey the celebrations assigned to us. 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me

Do you ever get annoyed by

mod edit

Brian37's picture

FurryCatHerder wrote:Vastet

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Vegas doesn't sound like much fun.

For the right events, at the right time, with the right people, it can be quite the blast.

I couldn't have fun anywhere in the world without pork products like ham or bacon or sausage. You could give me all the women and booze in the world and if I couldn't chow down on some pork, fuck it, life would not be worth living.

But Vegas to me is a waste of time and money. It is nothing but a tourist trap like Israel. It is nothing but a giant theme park designed to suck money out of your wallet.

Fun to me is not a place, but an attitude. What matters to me is not what you do, or what money you spend, but HOW you spend your time and who you spend it with.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37