Kindness is killing me

MichaelMixer
User is offlineOffline
Kindness is killing me

I have been an atheist since the age of 15 but I really turned anti-theist about the same time I watched Christopher Hitchens tear Mother Theresa an extra orifice on TV. In all of that time My mother refrained from preaching her Jehovah's Witless drivel at me, Today, however, she decides she needs to save my soul over YIM. I had every argument I have gleaned from years of listening to the Four Horsemen and reading this site right on the tips of my formerly nicotine stained fingers ( to steal a phrase ) when I realized I couldn't tear her a new one, she's my mom and like it or not I gotta be nice to her when she's trying to save me. I did the only thing I could, remained silent.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You did the right thing, Mike

At a particular level, anyway. I fight tooth and claw with my mother over her belief rainbows are a personal surety from god that he won't do the flood thing again.

But there's a point I won't go to and to be honest - she's 80. If it makes her feel better between workouts at the gym, well, what the hell.

At RRS there's always some one else who believes exactly the same thing to take out your frustrations on.

Of course, if you told her what you just told us, she might respect your decision...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Over the past few years my

Over the past few years my parents have hinted toward a belief in god ~ however in true 'my parents' fashion...they don't talk too much about it (same with politics).

I find that the older people in my family really cling to religion, almost in desperation. . . it hurts my heart to think I would squash the strange calm their belief gives them by arguing my side. . . it is something I struggle with and I walk a fine line when around them. However, when it comes to non-family members, that emotional connection I have isn't as strong and I have no problem being more assertive in my discussions.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Anyone who

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Anyone who preaches at me gets an earfull. My parents never preached to me. Noone in my family has, lucky for them. But to each their own, I say. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is true, too

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Over the past few years my parents have hinted toward a belief in god ~ however in true 'my parents' fashion...they don't talk too much about it (same with politics).

I find that the older people in my family really cling to religion, almost in desperation. . . it hurts my heart to think I would squash the strange calm their belief gives them by arguing my side. . . it is something I struggle with and I walk a fine line when around them. However, when it comes to non-family members, that emotional connection I have isn't as strong and I have no problem being more assertive in my discussions.

My mum is very calm about her impending demise and looks forward to meeting jesus, seeing dad and serious group hugs after biscuits. It's not a balloon I want to prick, despite my realisation that my eternal future is not being given similar consideration.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, my dad goes nuts if you

Man, my dad goes nuts if you start talking about belief, worst of all, he's a Christian. He always preaches his gibber jabber across the house when I visit him, I'm a bit argumentative but overall I think it's a bit hilarious for some odd reason.

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them." ~Galileo Galilei

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
If that is what felt right

If that is what felt right to you, then you did the right thing.

As long as your mom is not actively persecuting atheists I doubt you would gain anything from the debate besides pain and family disfunction.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:If that is

mellestad wrote:
If that is what felt right to you, then you did the right thing.

As long as your mom is not actively persecuting atheists I doubt you would gain anything from the debate besides pain and family disfunction.

I agree.

In general, I try to keep quiet about my atheism, especially around people I know. Usually, people won't listen to your reasoning at all, and it can hurt your relationship. It's just not worth it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only ever had this problem

I only ever had this problem to my extent with any maternal grandfather, a Jehovah's Witness. And he was never really pushy with it, just occasionally would try to 'explain' a few things to me. I didn't really try to argue with him, just let him have his say, made a few non-commital responses.

He was the only JW in the extended family, AFAIK, and everyone else just let him do his thing.

The 'funny' story was that he married my grandmother just before one of the early End Times predictions of the JW's, in 1914, to get in before it happened. So if it hadn't been for his crazy belief, he may not have married then, or at all, or married someone else, history would have been different, and I would not have ultimately been born as 'me'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The 'funny'

BobSpence1 wrote:

The 'funny' story was that he married my grandmother just before one of the early End Times predictions of the JW's, in 1914, to get in before it happened. So if it hadn't been for his crazy belief, he may not have married then, or at all, or married someone else, history would have been different, and I would not have ultimately been born as 'me'.

Haha, that reminds me of how my parents had a weird relationship to religion. My mom was a nun, my dad was a priest, and I'm an atheist. True story.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!