The Haters: Volume Two, Pat Robertson

Louis_Cypher's picture

Pat Robertson, even the man’s name is a lie. He chose the name ‘Pat’ because he felt ‘Marion’ was just ‘too effeminate’.  He was born Marion Gordon Robertson in March of 1930 to Absalom Willis Robertson, a conservative Democratic United States Senator, and his wife Gladys Churchill.  

 

Robertson has an issue with truthfulness. He can’t do it. For instance, He claims to have been elected Phi Beta Kappa. Robertson did graduate with Honors from his Prep School, The McCallie School in Chatanooga, and then enrolled in and subsequently graduated from Washington and Lee University majoring in History. Phi Beta Kappa keeps a registry and he’s not on it.

Robertson lied about his military service. This is what he says…
"I ended up at the headquarters command of the First Marine Division," says Robertson. "The Division was in combat in the hot and dusty, then bitterly cold portion of North Korea just above the 38th Parallel later identified as the 'Punchbowl' and 'Heartbreak Ridge.' For that service in the Korean War, the Marine Corps awarded me three battle stars for 'action against the enemy.'”

However, when it was revealed by former Congressman Pete McCloskey, who served with Robertson, that Robertson’s Senator/Father had pulled the strings to keep him from any real combat and that he in fact had been stationed in Japan where he procured booze for the Officers there, Robertson sued. The suit was dropped after McCloskey rounded up one of Robertson’s tent mates, who not only confirmed that Southern Baptist Pat Robertson was pimping alcohol for the higher ups, but that he was a bit of a whore hound, who worried about having the clap and had a habit of sexually harassing the Korean ‘maid’ on the base.

After the war, Robertson garnered a Law Degree from Yale, but failed to pass the Bar Exam. He decided to become a preacher. Robertson was awarded a Master of Divinity degree from the New York Theological Seminary in 1959. He then founded the Christian Broadcast Network in 1960 with, in his words, “…only seventy dollars in his pocket…” Well, that and the backing and connections of his wealthy family…  Over the years CBN has gone through several owners, all with the provision that his ‘700 Club’ be aired twice a day in perpetuity. Its current incarnation is as ‘ABC Family’ owned by Disney. Robertson’s broadcast income has made him quite wealthy, along with his hawking herbal cures and health supplements.

Robertson was a tireless fundraiser for the ‘Contras’ in Nicaragua in their revolt against the Sandinista government of that country. These same Contras which the International Human Rights Law Group  found "a distinct pattern" of attacks on purely civilian targets resulting in the killing of unarmed men, women, children, and the elderly; premeditated acts of brutality including rape, beatings, mutilation and torture; and individual and mass kidnappings of civilians for the purpose of forced recruitment into the contra forces. Christian Values.

Robertson was also a close personal friend and business associate of deposed Liberian dictator Charles Taylor. When G. Bush and the American government offered a 2 million dollar reward for the capture of Taylor, Robertson snipped that Bush was "undermining a Christian, Baptist president to bring in Muslim rebels to take over the country." Robertson had good reason to love Taylor, after all, Taylor gave him carte blanc to mine for and smuggle out blood diamonds from his country. Robertson used his ‘Operation Blessings’ aircraft (supposed to be used to deliver food and medicine to war torn Rwanda) to effect this tidy little business operation.

Is Pat Robertson a hater? Let’s let him speak for himself…

"You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist."

(about Hugo Chavez) “I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don’t think any oil shipments will stop.”

He described feminism as a "socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."

“Planned Parenthood is teaching kids to fornicate, teaching people to have adultery, every kind of bestiality, homosexuality, lesbianism -- everything that the Bible condemns.”

“I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period.”

“Many of those people involved with Adolph Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals -- the two things seem to go together.”

“If the widespread practice of homosexuality will bring about the destruction of your nation, if it will bring about terrorist bombs, if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to.”

“Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history.”

Need I say more? LC >;-}>

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Brian37's picture

Well, as far as names go, I

Well, as far as names go, I was only seven at the time I got adopted. I hated my real name because of the Redneck stigma attached to it. But, as Irony would have it, because my adoptive parents didn't grow up when I did, they had no clue that my first two initials(the list they gave me to chose from) meant blow job. So inadvertently I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. I cannot tell you how much I got teased and bullied throughout school. Believe me I am over it, and it doesn't matter now.

I think there are far more important reasons for Pat to be criticized than a name change, and many of those reasons you pointed out here.

His entire  Regent University like "Liberty" are nothing but degree mills. His primary goal, just like Fartwell's camp, was not to provide education, but to act as a recruitment center and money empire disguised as a "helpful charity".. Pat Robertson is nothing but the same thing Falwell was. A shameless self promoter.

But I saw his feigned victim status after all his bullying and pulpit politics too with that crap.

There is a "war" but not about  "bigotry'. The war is against his snake oil. But there is no Constitutional war on his religion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Louis_Cypher's picture

Yo cuz....

I too was given 'that name'... the one with BJ as it's initials... (I was named after my father... not my fault)

LC >;-}>

 

aka, Billy Joe...

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Lion IRC's picture

Real Names

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Pat Robertson, even the man’s name is a lie. He chose the name ‘Pat’ because he felt ‘Marion’ was just ‘too effeminate’...  

You mean people dont use their ACTUAL names in certain cases?

Thats appalling! Thanks for letting us know... Louis Underscore Cypher

Signed - Lion Internet Relay Chat.

Brian37's picture

Lion IRC wrote:Louis_Cypher

Lion IRC wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Pat Robertson, even the man’s name is a lie. He chose the name ‘Pat’ because he felt ‘Marion’ was just ‘too effeminate’...  

You mean people dont use their ACTUAL names in certain cases?

Thats appalling! Thanks for letting us know... Louis Underscore Cypher

Signed - Lion Internet Relay Chat.

Yea, he doesn't use his real name is SOOOOOOO much more important than all the other crap Pat spews. Way to stare at a finger tip when the moon is what Luis was pointing at.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Vastet's picture

Rather telling that you'd

Quote:
You mean people dont use their ACTUAL names in certain cases?

Rather telling that you'd pick a sentence out of the opening to attack, ignoring all the remaining paragraphs.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Louis_Cypher's picture

What is in a name?

When I was invited to bring my blog here, I was given the option to use my real name or the internet nick I've been using in various places online for over 15 years (back to the good old IRC days). I already had an account here under the LC nick, so it was just a matter of convenience.

If it's important to you, I'm also known as Bill (Billy Joe) Moody... feel better?

 

LC >;-}>


 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

ex-minister's picture

 Am enjoying your haters

 Am enjoying your haters series. Looking forward to more. I always felt 'Marion' was slimy. Just didn't know how much til now.

 

Do you know if you are related to Dwight Lyman Moody, the evangelist?

Wiki starts out with an odd tidbit about him. His father died at 41 while praying on his knees.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Lion IRC wrote:Louis_Cypher

Lion IRC wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Pat Robertson, even the man’s name is a lie. He chose the name ‘Pat’ because he felt ‘Marion’ was just ‘too effeminate’...  

You mean people dont use their ACTUAL names in certain cases?

Thats appalling! Thanks for letting us know... Louis Underscore Cypher

Signed - Lion Internet Relay Chat.

You mean such a big brave boy like Robertson was afraid that his given name would shrink his testicles if he owned up to it?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37's picture

Pat Robertson is an

Pat Robertson is an intellectual coward. If he were brave he'd be here with Furry and Caposkia.  They are brave, even though my position is that they got it wrong.

Pat is nothing but a con artist and snake oil salesman. I find no value in someone who makes claims from afar and won't face that criticism directly.

Pat is a intellectual piece of shit. I don't give a fuck if his name was Mark or Fred or Bertha. He could change his name to "#" and he would still be an intellectual coward. Even you are braver than he is.  Still just as wrong, but brave in the fact that unlike him, you are not afraid of being here.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

My wife used to work at this

My wife used to work at this fancy club in Norfolk, VA before we met.  She was in charge of the breakfast room and served a lot of notables their breakfast.

Good ol' Pat was one of them.

My wife said that one of the gay waiters that worked with her delighted in spitting in his food.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Brian37's picture

Watcher wrote:My wife used

Watcher wrote:

My wife used to work at this fancy club in Norfolk, VA before we met.  She was in charge of the breakfast room and served a lot of notables their breakfast.

Good ol' Pat was one of them.

My wife said that one of the gay waiters that worked with her delighted in spitting in his food.

They shouldn't have done that even though it was understandable. Reminds me of the movie "The Help" if anyone has seen that. The maid came back to her white boss and pleaded with her for her job back, well, it was a ploy and the maid gave here a chocolate cake. The housewife boss ate it not knowing what was in it and complemented her on the taste, then the maid smiled and told her what she had done.

So Pat, if you ever read this, you have gay cooties. Not that he ever will, but he certainly got treated like the prick he was acting like.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Vastet's picture

ex-minister wrote: Am

ex-minister wrote:

 Am enjoying your haters series. Looking forward to more.

Me too. I bet Beck & O'Reilly will be future installments. Should be good.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Lion IRC's picture

Brian37 wrote:Lion IRC

Brian37 wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Pat Robertson, even the man’s name is a lie. He chose the name ‘Pat’ because he felt ‘Marion’ was just ‘too effeminate’...  

You mean people dont use their ACTUAL names in certain cases?

Thats appalling! Thanks for letting us know... Louis Underscore Cypher

Signed - Lion Internet Relay Chat.

Yea, he doesn't use his real name is SOOOOOOO much more important than all the other crap Pat spews. Way to stare at a finger tip when the moon is what Luis was pointing at.

 

 

 

So you agree the bit about him not using his birth name is innane?

That finger tip is the first line of Louis' post.

 

...followed shortly thereafter by a sexist ad hominem about being "effeminate"

 

"Spewing crap" is easily recognized.

Louis_Cypher's picture

Actually...

Well, Lion... the part about Marion being too effeminate was Pat Robertson's stated reason for going with his Nick Name... HIS words, not mine. And You really need to look up what an 'ad hominem' is. Clue, it's not simply a derogatory term.

As far as "the bit about him not using his birth name" being inane, no. It was used as part of a larger picture of dishonesty that Robertson has followed his whole life. I stand by it. I also note that while being transfixed by the opening line, you've had nothing to say about the body of the piece...

and, because I know that looking stuff up is just to Haaaaaaard....

An ad homenim (fallacy) is a claim that ones thoughts or arguments are invalid because of a percieved character defect.
For instance, to say that You are wrong about religion because you are an asshole would be an ad homenim. However to say you are wrong about religion and you are also an asshole, would be an observation, not an ad homenim.

Hope that helps, but, I doubt it.

 

LC >;-}>

 


 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Lion IRC's picture

Louis_Cypher wrote:Well,

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Well, Lion... the part about Marion being too effeminate was Pat Robertson's stated reason for going with his Nick Name... HIS words, not mine...

Yep sexism. By him in the first instance and and by you for picking it up and running with it. Marion is neither too effeminate nor too masculine. But you bought into it - it wasnt his sexism you complained about but the fact he changed his name AT ALL. 

 

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...And You really need to look up what an 'ad hominem' is. Clue, it's not simply a derogatory term.

No its not simply a derogatory term. It's an irrelevant derogatory term and one which has no place in argument - either before, during or after the argument takes place. You can't call someone a moron on Monday morning and then commence an argument with them on Monday afternoon and plead with the audience that the moron remark was not an ad hominem attempt to persuade. And you can't claim truth as a defense - thats just making the ad hominem attack twice rather than once.

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...As far as "the bit about him not using his birth name" being inane, no. It was used as part of a larger picture of dishonesty that Robertson has followed his whole life. I stand by it.

How is it dishonest to use a pseudonym Louis Underscore Cypher?

 

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...I also note that while being transfixed by the opening line, you've had nothing to say about the body of the piece...

I tend to comment on the parts of a post which interest me. You should warn readers not to fisk, in advance, if your post is so deeply contextual and nuanced that it has to be taken as a whole or not at all. I tend to favor free speech and giving the audience the benefit of the doubt.

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...and, because I know that looking stuff up is just to Haaaaaaard....

Looking up stuff isnt too hard.

 

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...An ad homenim (fallacy) is a claim that ones thoughts or arguments are invalid because of a percieved character defect.
For instance, to say that You are wrong about religion because you are an asshole would be an ad homenim. However to say you are wrong about religion and you are also an asshole, would be an observation, not an ad homenim.

No. It is an ad hominem by virtue of the fact that insults in the course of enlightened dialogue are unjustifiable per se. There is no other reason to introduce the phrase..."my opponent is a moron".

 

If you are a world renowned expert in brain damage you might say..."the patient in room 10 is a moron" but you wouldnt be arguing WITH the patient in room 10. You might find yourself arguing with other brain experts ABOUT the patient in room 10 but in that case the topic of debate would actually be "the person" you think is a moron and you wouldnt call the other neurology experts morons. (Because THAT would be a totally irrelevant ad hominem attack.)

 

Louis_Cypher wrote:
...Hope that helps, but, I doubt it.

Skeptic versus himself. Hope/doubt/hope/doubt/hope/doubt...What ever am I gonna do? LOL

Lion IRC's picture

The pre-emptive Ad Hominem

Another point about the negative ad hominem is that it can also serve as a pre-emptive intimidation.

 

Pejorative remarks are sufficiently disliked by some people that the contest of ideas becomes lop-sided as the more "polite" ideological opponent deliberately takes a more passive demeanor specifically in order to try and "appease" their more aggressive counterpart.  

 

In that respect, the argumentum ad hominem fallacy - agree with me because my opponent is a moron and I'm not - transforms into yet another related logical fallacy - argumentum ad baculum.

 

Agree with me or I shall call YOU a moron too!

 

Lion IRC's picture

Simple derogatory remark - a short story

Simple derogatory remark - a short story

 

Monday - Hey that guy is a moron.
Submitted by Lion IRC on November 7, 2011 - 1:14am.
 
Tuesday - Did you know whatshisname is a moron too?
Submitted by Lion IRC on December 6, 2011 - 3:46pm.
 
Wednesday - Oh yeah they're all morons over there at http: www . pplIdontagreewith . org
Submitted by Lion IRC on December 14, 2011 - 8:10am.
 
Thursday -  I believe in enlightenment values of civil dialogue & intellectual debate. (psst... its not an ad hominem attack if its true hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink. You know who I'm talking about right?)
Submitted by Lion IRC on December 22, 2011 - 6:10pm.

Friday - Why are people so scared to debate with me? Obviously they secretly know I'm right.
Submitted by Lion IRC on December 30, 2011 - 4.00pm.