Happy New Years! I bought us a server present today!
I just wanted to tell you folks we really appreciate the support. When we started this site we never imagined it would be a meeting ground for so many, build a site for Margaret Downey, adopt Jake's "asktheatheist.com," or become the most popular atheist website in America. We bought a new server today and will soon have a donate module for you to help us cover the costs if you want (the old chip in for that about to become defunct) . If you are a top 666,666 Alexa site and would like to come on our network, send me a message.
Moves are being made to ensure we have room to grow and bring on websites of friends that we want to help like our friend Troy Conrad, Comedy Jesus. We have an ETA of April 1st at the latest to bring his site(s) on board. Every single one of our sites will be overhauled for the better. RRS will seek to be fully compliant in all of the leading browswers.... including IE!
Some content, extra features, and site functions will only be available to subscribers. For example subscribers get blogs, and several levels of private forums to access depending on subscription level. Consider subscribing to RRS now.
Here are the specs of the new and old server:
- AMD 4600x2 2.4 ghz Dual-core CPU 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
- 1800 GB Premium Bandwidth
- 4 GB Ram Memory (recently paid for 2 meg upgrade, we think the ram might be bad and was the start of our problems
- 2 x 250 GB Sata Drives
- Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3220, 2.40GHz, 2x4M Cache, 1066MHz FSB
- 2000 GB Premium Bandwidth
- 4GB DDR2, 800MHz, 4x1GB Dual Ranked DIMMs
- 2 x 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Check out all that caching power! "The Rational Developers Powerr Nerd Geek Squad Force Team" has come up with some amazing and innovative solutions to our widearray of problems.
More caching power (functioning cache of which we don't have), site upgrade, security holes patched, coupled with our high powered system could take anonymous users to 2 seconds a page load, and logged in users 3-6 seconds a page load. Currently that number is 8-35 seconds a page load depending on multiple facotrs. Less times for page loads means you can accomplish more in your time on the site.
Get ready for some new colors (light grey, some very light blue, some deep red, and some black), advanced forums, and a bunch of damn cool websites.
Meet your "Rational Developers Powerr Nerd Geek Squad Force Team"
(due to their dedication to their work they we're assigned code names so as not to be outed as the real minds behind the #1 atheist website in America)
- Agent X: The inner workings of linux, server integration/install, long term maintenance
- Agent U: webserver administration, internetwork security, hacker, security specialist (potential future RRS webadmingod, ex-admin, potential lifelong volunteer worker 40+ hours a week)
- Agent 8: Apache,linux, solaris, freebsd, Military infosec, enterprise administration, COTS Weapon systems software
- Agent J: General Linux; E-Mail; (Virtual) Server Installation, Configuration, and Maintenance; Python Scripting, LDAP, MySQL (soon to be nicknamed "the horse"
- Agent Gizmo: Server Installation, Configuration, and Maintenance; limited MySQL, Drupal experience.
- Agent A: old school ASM coder... who now only codes in html/xhtml
- Agent JM: XHTML, CSS, PHP, SEO, Graphics Design. more of a web designer, developer, and graphics artist than software programmer.
Other agents have been called in. More help would be useful, but for now please feel free to thank the above men who have come together like no other group I've seen come together on a web design project. I have been doing this for quite a while, I've never seen a crew like this. For those interested in grass roots activist atheism history I can tell you, you're in the presence of history makers, these guys are amazing, simply amazing. Thanks to everyone for the great 2007, and look forward to our strongest year ever in 2008.