The Grand Delusion

digitalbeachbum's picture

I have realized that there is no such thing as unconditional love.

 

Beyond Saving's picture

 If it was unconditional,

 If it was unconditional, would you want it?

digitalbeachbum's picture

Beyond Saving wrote: If it

Beyond Saving wrote:

 If it was unconditional, would you want it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a typo? Do you mean "If it was conditional?"

I am of the opinion that there is either love or hate. In order to actually "love" you must understand first; in order to hate you must be ignorant.

Beyond Saving's picture

digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 If it was unconditional, would you want it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a typo? Do you mean "If it was conditional?"

No, not a typo. Would you want unconditional love? I wouldn't. If someone loves you, unconditionally, then the love would be meaningless to me. I'm sure others feel differently, but I don't want to be loved without reason.  

 

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jeffrick's picture

digital Beyond

 

 

 

                      Do eather of you two have children?   The love you recieve from your own baby is without any conditions what so ever, has they grow older they may add a few but you don't .

 

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet's picture

I agree. I'd feel like I

I agree with Beyond. I'd feel like I owned a pet. I wouldn't be able to return the love. Not really. I might be able to love the person, but it wouldn't be the same kind of love at all. And it probably wouldn't last. I'd get frustrated with the person over and over again until that love turned to hate, and I couldn't stand them anymore. That they'd love me still would drive me insane.

Even family isn't exempt. People like to claim that love for family is unconditional, but I don't believe it for a second. There's always a line that once crossed, can never be restored. The line varies from person to person, but it's always there.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum's picture

Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 If it was unconditional, would you want it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a typo? Do you mean "If it was conditional?"

No, not a typo. Would you want unconditional love? I wouldn't. If someone loves you, unconditionally, then the love would be meaningless to me. I'm sure others feel differently, but I don't want to be loved without reason.  

 

My point is that people can't give unconditional love. There is always a condition.

digitalbeachbum's picture

Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

                       Do eather of you two have children?   The love you recieve from your own baby is without any conditions what so ever, has they grow older they may add a few but you don't .

 

I don't consider the attention I get from a baby love. A baby or a young child has no concept of love.

There is always a condition for "unconditional love". Even a baby, which you believe gives love, has a condition. You give it warmth. You give it food. You give it comfort. Those are the conditions the baby wants from you. If you beat it. If you neglect it. If you abuse it. Then the conditions change and it doesn't give you the same attention.

There are always conditions.

digitalbeachbum's picture

Vastet wrote:I agree with

Vastet wrote:
I agree with Beyond. I'd feel like I owned a pet. I wouldn't be able to return the love. Not really. I might be able to love the person, but it wouldn't be the same kind of love at all. And it probably wouldn't last. I'd get frustrated with the person over and over again until that love turned to hate, and I couldn't stand them anymore. That they'd love me still would drive me insane. Even family isn't exempt. People like to claim that love for family is unconditional, but I don't believe it for a second. There's always a line that once crossed, can never be restored. The line varies from person to person, but it's always there.

As I said in my first post, unconditional love does not exist, there are always conditions.

Vastet's picture

I wasn't trying to disagree

I wasn't trying to disagree with any particular person, I just wanted to say I agree with what Beyond said and how he said it. I agree with you as well.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37's picture

digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 If it was unconditional, would you want it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a typo? Do you mean "If it was conditional?"

No, not a typo. Would you want unconditional love? I wouldn't. If someone loves you, unconditionally, then the love would be meaningless to me. I'm sure others feel differently, but I don't want to be loved without reason.  

 

My point is that people can't give unconditional love. There is always a condition.

Um actually the utopia of "unconditional love" is sold and people do buy into it which can cause them to get into very abusive relationships, or even cause a person to defend a friend, family member, co worker, all the way up to political party or religion to the point of defending that idea at the cost of others.

I do think however it is better to never have blind loyalty to anything. I have cut people off, one girlfriend who was verbally abusive and jeleous and got to the point of physically assaulting me. I have cut off friends who did the same thing. I have even cut off my older brother because he physically threatened me.

 

As a concept "unconditional love" is an abstract people do buy into. It is a bad concept however. It creates abuse and can make one an abser or doormat.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

ProzacDeathWish's picture

              

 

                                              I believe in unconditional hate. 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.