Any comments on the "evolving universe"?

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any comments on the "evolving universe"?

Most of you have heard of this before, but people have tried to apply Darwinism to the way the universe works.

Picture this: This universe will inevitably come to an end. Once it does, all the energy will "vanish" and will continue to float around the never ending network of multiverses. In this network of multiverses, there are an infinite amount of parallel universes. Some of these universes may be connected to eachother, and new universes are constantly born and destroyed.

What I'm saying is that even if our universe is not eternal, the network of universes our universe is part of, is eternal. We don't need god to explain the creation of either universe (our universe or the multiverse), because our universe is part of a system that has always existed.

We also COULD explain our laws of physics have "evolved" from more simple universes. Our universe has very complex laws of physics, so it can't have came out of nowhere. But just like Darwinism, there could have been a beginning universe that begun to "evolve" and create more and more complex universes.

I wrote earlier that the multiverse is actually eternal. It doesn't need a God to be created, because it was never (sort of) born. I mean that the multiverse has existed forever, but still it has a sort of "time-frame", that allows the universes to evolve more complex laws of physics. This also means that there indeed are an infinite number of parallel universes.

Any comments? I love speculating, but don't think I'm assuming anything. Smiling 

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, I really do not think

well, I really do not think that would work to be honest. First off, universes would have to have some sort of inheritable code that defines their physical properties. Second, they would have to be able to reproduce or break off and form "daughter" universes (which has been proposed by some string theorists), and thirdly, and most importantly, the laws of physics in that universe would have to give it an advantage over other universes.

Also, you're making the assumption of some sort of time and space in the multiverse itself. If there is a multiverse, it is likely that time and space are totally meaningless concepts outside the universe, or it could be that the multiverse is in 10-dimensional space. Really, there is no way to see any kind of advantage that our physics would have over another kind of physics in the multiverse.

If what you propose is true (which I doubt), it could be that ours is a more stable universe, that the way in which it evolved makes it less likely to collapse. If our universe created daughter universes (again, unlikely except in very rare and theoretical cases towards the beginning of the universe), it is possible that these were more stable than some other universe. This would give the universes an advantage over others, and they would produce more "offspring".

But really, that is an extreme stretch. We really don't know much if anything about parallel universes, and all of that is in the nebulous field of string theory (which I fear is falling apart completley due to lack of experimental evidence and some show-stopping mathematical oddities). It is difficult to apply anything other than the anthropic principle to the multiverse, and saying that universes undergo natural selection would be making a bit to many presumptions.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The universe's laws of

The universe's laws of physics mainly hinge on the seperation of the four fundemental forces. (Strong/weak nuclear, electromagnetic, gravity) any variations of these are possible in another universe. If gravity was weaker for example, stars would have to be massive to generate enough energy to start the hydrogen fusion. If the strong nuclear force was weaker, then heavier elements couldn't form. Conversily if it was stronger, than new elements could form.

Daugther universes are theoritically possible by compressing an insanly small amount of matter to insane densities. (read planck length seperation)

However, as I eluded to in the past, the multiverse theory opens up to Sailor Moon, and Superman. 

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
righto. Thanks pinapple for

righto. Thanks pinapple for clearing that up. I come from a background of biology, so I don't really know much about physics or cosmology.

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure at all if

I'm not sure at all if universes evolve, but I can quite surely say that our universe began as something very simple, and overtime it turned into the complex monstrosity it's now. Evolution can be compared to this universe generation process. Life-forms began so simple, but eventually they turned into something much more complex.

However, evolution as we know it requires natural selection. This universe evolving theory has really nothing to do with natural selection. Universes would have to be able to somehow compete against eachother, and subtle mutations in the universe's laws of physics would make them evolve. Aint' that weird Smiling?

I don't really know that much about the big bang theory, but didn't big bang too begin as something small, and it very rapidly turned into something more complex?

I'm pretty much starting to doubt that the universe began with a big bang. We hardly know anything about the way the universe came into existence.

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.