Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hammerhead shark has virgin birth

Hammerhead shark has virgin birth
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 | 9:02 AM ET
The Associated Press

Female sharks can fertilize their own eggs and give birth without sperm from males, according to a new study of the asexual reproduction of a hammerhead in a U.S. zoo.

The joint Northern Ireland-U.S. research, being published Wednesday in the Royal Society's peer-reviewed Biology Letters journal, analyzed the DNA of a shark born in 2001 in the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Neb. The shark was born in a tank with three potential mothers, none of whom had contact with a male hammerhead for at least three years.

The baby was killed within hours of its birth by a stingray in the same tank. Analysis of its DNA found no trace of any chromosomal contribution from a male partner.

Shark experts said this was the first confirmed case in a shark of parthenogenesis, which is derived from Greek and means "virgin birth."

Asexual reproduction is common in some insect species, rarer in reptiles and fish, and has never been documented in mammals. The list of animals documented as capable of the feat has grown as more are raised in captivity — but until now, sharks were not considered a likely candidate.

"The findings were really surprising because as far as anyone knew, all sharks reproduced only sexually by a male and female mating, requiring the embryo to get DNA from both parents for full development, just like in mammals," said marine biologist Paulo Prodohl of Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, a co-author of the report.

"As is typical with scientists, we doubted our own results and so we did it again and then a third time using a new technique with new genetic approaches. This confirmed there was no DNA of any male," said Prodohl, an expert in fish genetics with specific knowledge of hammerhead DNA.

Before the study, many shark experts had presumed that the Nebraska birth involved a female shark's well-documented ability to store sperm for months. This seemed the most plausible scenario even though the sharks had arrived at the Nebraska zoo as immature pups.

The lack of any paternal DNA in the baby shark ruled out this possibility.

"This phenomenon has now been demonstrated in all major vertebrate groups except for mammals. Birds do it, reptiles do it, amphibians do it, fishes do it and now sharks are known to do it," said Bob Hueter, director of the Center for Shark Research at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Fla., who was not involved in the project.

But Hueter said he doubted it was happening anywhere besides in captivity. He also argued that the power to self-impregnate represents "an evolutionary strategy to keep the population and species going when all else fails."

Genetically, it's a last-resort tactic because it leads to genetic uniformity, and eventually that will catch up with the population and make it less fit.

"But as a short-term alternative to extinction, it has its benefits," he said.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/05/23/science-sharks-birth.html

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard that the shark gave

I heard that the shark gave birth and that three Great White sharks came from the East bearing gifts of great value. A florescent light blazed above the small coral creche where the virginal birth occurred.

One ray denied the baby shark three times, and another led to its death. I'm guessing this new sect's symbol with be the outline of a human. He would have taught human eaters to be eaters of men.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very cool Vastet, I heard

Very cool Vastet, I heard about this today also.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I heard that

Nero wrote:
I heard that the shark gave birth and that three Great White sharks came from the East bearing gifts of great value. A florescent light blazed above the small coral creche where the virginal birth occurred. One ray denied the baby shark three times, and another led to its death. I'm guessing this new sect's symbol with be the outline of a human. He would have taught human eaters to be eaters of men.

That was spectacular. LMAO!!!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always knew there was

I always knew there was somethign wrong with Jaws.  The first was great, but the second two just seemed wrong.  I now understand, in the original writers mind, Jaws I was a great white, Jaws II was meant to be salsa shark, Jaws III was meant to be Jebus' second coming.  Then the producers got involved and ruined the whole thing.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Christ! /had to be

Jesus Christ!

/had to be done Eye-wink