American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cool

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would imagine this type of

I would imagine this type of technology would be very useful if we ever plan to send humans to Mars or beyond. One major concern for this type of extended space travel is radiation. If they can protect the ship and astronauts with a device such as this it may make humans on Mars an even closer possibility.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
All that's left now is warp

All that's left now is warp drive and transporters. Lol.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Set phasers to awesome!

Set phasers to awesome!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet,

Vastet,

Thanks for posting this. It is very interesting.

However, when publishing an official press release, the information above the asterisks is deleted. Also, the information after 'CONTACTS' is given only as a way for journalists to contact the people listed. The 'NOTES FOR EDITORS' are redirects to other story subjects.

It was certainly nice of them to post a host image like that. I think we're supposed to get permission to hotlink to it though. If they request us not to then we can always reformat the entry.

"An artificial magnetosphere could be generated around manned space craft en route to the Moon or Mars to protect the occupants from the potentially lethal radiation in space from the Sun. A superconducting ring on board such a space craft could produce a magnetic field, or mini-magnetosphere, similar to the Earth's, which would create a Star Trek like 'deflector or plasma shield'." - RAS, ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

I STILL WANT A LIGHTSABER.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I first saw it in a

Well, I first saw it in a news article. Then two others. None of them seemed to me as original material, so I tracked down the source, which was the press release. A press release is a free package for all persons, especially if obtainable over the internet without cost from the origin(as occurred). Myself and the RRS included in all persons. I included everything on the page so people could gain the most information, and in the off chance the page was deleted/moved/etc later(as often happens on the internet), the information would be preserved in full for people to look up.

As for the image, the hotlink was included in articles posted by media centres as a hotlink, so it's obviously not a problem. I must suggest that posting the actual picture might be a different story unless hosting it elsewhere. Everytime someone looks in this topic it will draw on their bandwidth. As a link it does nothing unless clicked.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
True that. I was just

True that.

I was just offering my two cents worth of style points. I directed some people toward it. They looked at me quizzically and said, "Entertainment page?"

AAGGHH!

Anyway,

I STILL WANT A LIGHTSABER.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me too. > >

Me too. > >

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: All that's

Vastet wrote:

Don't transporters kill you and make a new you? Sticking out tongue

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
don't forget replicators...

don't forget replicators... we need replicators!!!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: don't

Wishkah311 wrote:
don't forget replicators... we need replicators!!!

I'd settle for a Tribble. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
HealingBlight

HealingBlight wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Basically. But if it's identical to you, what's the problem? Sticking out tongue

Besides, you'd be getting fresh new organs every time. All the cells in your body would be fresh as a newborn. Would be kind of cool.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
HealingBlight wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Basically. But if it's identical to you, what's the problem? Sticking out tongue Besides, you'd be getting fresh new organs every time. All the cells in your body would be fresh as a newborn. Would be kind of cool.

Well, I'd be dead and unable to enjoy it. Clone me would get all the fun and sex. Sad

-----------------------

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lmfao. But clone you would

Lmfao. But clone you would think like you, have all your memories, act like you, etc. You're basically saying that you are the molecules in your body, instead of the way they are arranged. If that's the case, then you're already dead 50 times over. Eye-wink

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, but I've never 'died'

Yeah, but I've never 'died' so suddenly and completely before, I would notice and know it in a way unlike I have before, and I would also have a say in weather or not I 'die' in such a situation. The whole concept is damn irritating because I don't have an immaterial soul to fall back on, damn those theistic easy answers. XD

-----------------------