Question for Young Earth Creationist - Colliding Galaxies

Ig
User is offlineOffline
Question for Young Earth Creationist - Colliding Galaxies

I would like to hear some good mind gymnastics on why your god(s) created the Universe less than 10,000 years ago which doesnt allow times for galaxies to collide.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Why couldn't they collide

Why couldn't they collide within 6000 years (God officially created the universe in 4004 BC )? God made it either that the speed of light can vary or it only looks like things are millions/billions of light years away! Who are you to question God?

(Note: This is sarcasm)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Ig
User is offlineOffline
I know you are kidding but

I know you are kidding but let me pretend you are not.

This is one of 2 things I thought of in the last couple of days that proove YEC wrong. I cant remember the second one right now but anyways...

This has nothing to do with the speed of light.

Presumably god(s) created the universe with fully formed galaxies seperated by some distance. There would not be enough time for gravity to draw 2 galaxies together and create observed collisions at each state of the simulation in the image. 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know this really hasn't

I know this really hasn't got much to do with what you're talking about, and maybe I should start a whole new thread, but I have a question.

Why would god waste so much matter and energy creating the whole universe, when we are but an insignificant part of it?

Wouldn't it have been enough to just create the sun, moon and Earth? Or just create the Solar System? Or the Milkyway?

Sorry. I'll delete this and open a new topic if needed.

Ig
User is offlineOffline
I agree. That's one of the

I agree. That's one of the things that when you think about it disprove god. All you need is, at most, our own milky way galaxy. Also all you would need is Humans, trees, grass and animals we can eat. There's no requirement for anything else.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problem with any of

The problem with any of these arguments is that they all can be answered with the simple "my god did it".

They would probably give the same reasoning here as they do with other questions like "Why can we see galaxies millions of light years away?  They would just say that their god created the galaxies that far away, but extended the light fromt he galaxies all the way to earth  when he created them.  In this case they could just say that their god created the universe with the two galaxies already coliding.

It makes perfect sense!! [/sarcasm] 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41,

V1per41,

I too have heard all kind of excuses from creationist on this issue. There are those that deny the distance to other stars at one end of the spectrum to the others that claim the light was created in transit. The thing this last group fails to recognize about their argument is that this implies that their God is deceptive. He made things look older than they really are.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

ollj
User is offlineOffline
Do not expect anyone who can

Do not expect anyone who can not count to 1000 to imagine billions.

blah blah blah (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
hmm....

ok so say god created the galaxies first billions of years ago and got bored with them and then started creating other thing and when he gets bored with us he/she will kill us all off like the dinosaurs. it gives them time to collide and everthing. 

pablongth (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
when you look at the

when you look at the absorbtion spectrum of our sun, you find the prescence of higher order elements that could not have been produced on our sun, which only has the capacity to burn hydrogen into helium. the only stellar object that creates enough energy to produce these elements is supernovae. from this we can gather that our sun is a second or third generation star that formed from the dust and gas clouds left over from a supernova. knowing that it takes a star around the same mass as our sun about 30 MILLION years to form, and our sun formed from the remnants of a supernova, anyone who believes our universe is a mere 10,000 years old must have their head in an oven.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about God just created

How about God just created the Galaxies in mid-collision.  Sounds peaceful.

You can just imagine the first couple of aliens over there, Adamborg and Eve Conehead  "We're alive!   We love you, God..... oh shi"

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
pablongth wrote:...anyone

pablongth wrote:

...anyone who believes our universe is a mere 10,000 years old must have their head in an oven.

The imagery inspired by talk of the sun and having one's head in an oven made me giggle.  Where are all the theists who are supposed to be answering this question?  Have they finally learnt it's best not to?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why would god waste so

Quote:
Why would god waste so much matter and energy creating the whole universe, when we are but an insignificant part of it?

When I was a Christian and asked this question, I was told it proves just how much God loves us.  If he didn't love us, he wouldn't go to all that trouble so that we'd have neat shit to look at.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Why

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

When I was a Christian and asked this question, I was told it proves just how much God loves us.  If he didn't love us, he wouldn't go to all that trouble so that we'd have neat shit to look at.

I don't know if anyone has heard of a DVD called "Indescribable". Basically it taked alot of cool space pictures,some statistics, and a lot of 'ooh wow' while praising god the whole time.There's very little actual factual content.A big Fine tuning/improbability/oh there's pretty stuff in space so god exists fest.

Obviously christians eat it up.

A christian friend told me it was all the proof she needed of god's existence.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.