US Ranks #2 as country most against Evolution.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
US Ranks #2 as country most against Evolution.

Europeans' Understanding Of Science, Evolution, More Advanced Than Americans

Science Daily When it comes to scientific literacy, Americans aren't nearly as evolved as they may think. In fact, only about 40 percent of American adults accept the basic idea of evolution, a figure much lower than any European country.

Participating 8:30 a.m. PST Friday in an American Association for the Advancement of Science symposium, titled "Anti-Evolution in Europe: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid, or Not?," Michigan State University's Jon Miller argued that religion plays a major role in how Americans view evolution.

"The lowest-ranking country in terms of discounting evolution is Turkey. The United States is next," said Miller, who has analyzed surveys on belief in evolution from around the world. "The way we characterize religious fundamentalists in Turkey and in the U.S. is that they are both one-book religions.

"Fundamentalists in this country say everything you need to know is in the Bible, period. Islamists say everything you need to know is in the Koran, period," said Miller, a professor in political science.

Last year, Miller published a paper in the journal Science that stated two in five American adults rejected the concept of evolution, which was a significantly higher proportion than found in any Western European country. Another one in five were unsure about evolution.

In contrast, 80 percent or more of adults in Iceland, Denmark and Sweden accepted the concept of evolution.

In addition to religion, politics plays a crucial role in how Americans view evolution. It has become a highly politicized issue, Miller said, with the Republican Party in particular often using it as a litmus test for potential candidates.

"There is no major political party in Europe that uses opposition to evolution as a part of its political platform," he said. "In the United States, there are people who think it is a political advantage to discount evolution."

Not surprisingly, Miller and colleagues also found that persons with strong pro-life beliefs were significantly more likely to reject evolution than those with pro-choice views.

"The total effect of pro-life attitudes on the acceptance of evolution was much greater in the United States than in the nine European countries surveyed," he said.

Miller is the Hannah Professor of integrative studies at MSU. He has appointments in the Division of Mathematics and Science Education and the Department of Political Science.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Michigan State University.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ouch.

Ouch.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn.

Damn. Frown

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha ha. That's the best

Ha ha. That's the best analogy I've heard yet. Sticking out tongue

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks! Lol.

Thanks! Lol.

kriz
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: When it

Lynette1977 wrote:

When it comes to scientific literacy, Americans aren't nearly as evolved as they may think.

Actually, I saw a news item a while back showing that fundamendalists are breeding at rates many times that of less religious people.  So, unfortunately, it seems atheists are losing the evolutionary race.  Is belief in God an evolutionary trait worth having?  Maybe for now, but its major drawback is that it will probably end up blowing up the planet.  Sticking out tongue

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I heard this a while back. I

I heard this a while back. I personally think we are right now in Devolution - it seems the least fit people are breeding the most.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ShadowOfMan
atheist
ShadowOfMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all about the meme. 

It's all about the meme.  And you don't need to breed in order to spread your memes.  At this point in our genetic evolution, most people pass their genes with little to no enviromental pressure to evolve.    And anyone can be infected with the cultural meme especially during childhood.  The question is, can we convince people to value reason over faith.  I think that the blaspheme challage has done wonders for getting atheists to out themselves and to promote atheism in general.  There is still a long way to go.

A daughter of hope and fear, religion explains to Ignorance the nature of the unknowable. -Ambrose Bierce