361,067 free e-publications on the sciences

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Open access to 361,067 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and Quantitative Biology:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

that's a good site with good resources. I want to say this, about scientific journals..it is of upmost importance that when you read scientific articles, that you look at the figures, and read study them critically. I don't read the discussion of hte paper until I have finished reading the results and looked at the figures. The figures are the data, the heart of the paper. One has got to draw his/her own conclusions based on the raw data or the figures without being swayed by the discussion; keeping in mind the central question the paper is addressing. No matter how neutral scientists try to be, bias, a human condition unfortunatly, sometimes sneaks in. You have to question critically even sceintic journals. For example, if you see a figure of a western or southern blot, make sure that they have a positve and negative control. Otherwise the figure may not be representative of the data they are trying to pursue. Little things like this will make everyone more of a critical thinker which is exactly what we need in the world.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Gravity
User is offlineOffline

On a side note: quantitative biology is the new shit. My prediction is that biophysics is going to be the next mirror result of computer engineering in the 90's. Only because it is hard (less people) and so open for research (biology is extremly qualitative these days). Biotechnology is around the corner.

I'm a dipshit.

MrGawn
Rational VIP!
MrGawn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gravity wrote: On a side

Gravity wrote:
On a side note: quantitative biology is the new shit. My prediction is that biophysics is going to be the next mirror result of computer engineering in the 90's. Only because it is hard (less people) and so open for research (biology is extremly qualitative these days). Biotechnology is around the corner.
they have been hunting for solutions to biotechnology for a while already. hell, they try to tie everything in with life. they even had that short spell with trying to incorporate bio-luminesence into that one rich guy like 5 or 6 years ago. complete cybernetics has been the dream of man for a long time and, im almost scared to say it, but, stemcell would help that feild also.

I am the radical and variable to counter act on your alpha and omega! The One True Juggernaut, and. . . I WILL BASH AND CUT DOWN THOSE THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT!!!

20vturbo
20vturbo's picture
User is offlineOffline
holy cow more stuff to

holy cow more stuff to study!  Smiling

Mjhavok
User is offlineOffline
Grea post!

Great post!

Switch89
User is offlineOffline
Nice!

Nice resource, but the evolution section is scanty. Anyone know a resource like this that is mainly biological?

AcidRain64
User is offlineOffline
MrGawn wrote: complete

MrGawn wrote:
complete cybernetics has been the dream of man for a long time and, im almost scared to say it, but, stemcell would help that feild also.

With the recent breakthroughs in stem cell research, it seems that dream is getting closer to becoming a reality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/01/opinion/01sat1.html

Great resource, by the way! (lanl) This is so cool! I only wish I understood even 1% of these papers. The math looks so foreign.. I'd like to be able to comprehend these publications some day Innocent

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

No fate but what we make for ourselves.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn you sapient, my "to be

Damn you sapient, my "to be read" pile is almost at the ceiling, now i have tons more to wade through.

Thanks btw, looks likelots of good reading. 

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I visited the site today

I visited the site today looking for the definition of 'time'

The number of papers is now 499,706

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Many thanks!

Many thanks!

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
not up, but this should be

not up, but this should be either the replacement or copycat site: http://arxiv.org/

cygo
Science Freak
cygo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Sapient wrote:
Open access to 361,067 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and Quantitative Biology: http://xxx.lanl.gov/

Fredj
User is offlineOffline
 So good, thanks fo sharing

So good, thanks fo sharing Smiling 

It will be great if theses docs are in pdf

Webmaster and webdevelopper Smiling
comment faire la prière

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: open access to 361,067 e-prints

Thanks for the info.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote : ' Time'

Did you ever read Einstein on "Timelessness"    everythingforever.com/einstein.htm

Signature ? How ?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interested in the latest science?