Bush to get Purple Heart

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Bush to get Purple Heart

Way to cheapen the medal, Mr. Bush.

COPPERAS COVE – History will be made today when Copperas Cove resident Bill Thomas and his wife, Georgia, present President George W. Bush with a Purple Heart at the Oval Office.

Thomas said he and his wife came up with the unprecedented idea to present the president with the Purple Heart over breakfast one morning a few months ago as they discussed the verbal attacks, both foreign and domestic, the commander in chief has withstood during his time in office.

"We feel like emotional wounds and scars are as hard to carry as physical wounds," Thomas said.

<snip>

Thomas said he drew up a citation and he and his wife signed it before dropping it and the medal off with Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, to forward to President Bush.

"Congressman Carter called me last week and said the President was very moved by it, and would like us to present it in person," Thomas said.

Link to full story: http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=15367

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
How stupid.  Bush is a

How stupid.  Bush is a cowardly lying pussy.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, thanks to those two

Well, thanks to those two assholes, that pretty much nullifies any heroics on the battlefield.  Please.  You're telling me that Bush deserves a Purple Heart just as much as some guy who loses his leg trying defend this country?  It's insulting to injured soldiers. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe we should give him a

Maybe we should give him a Nobel Peace Prize for blowing up so many people.....

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
great... now I'm

great... now I'm depressed...

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe we should give him a

What? Like Henry Kissinger? 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Maybe we

deludedgod wrote:

What? Like Henry Kissinger?

Exactly, kinda defeats the name of the award. I do not equate peace with blowing people up... 

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
Well, he already has a black

Well, he already has a black heart, so the purple one should go well with it.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know which makes me

I don't know which makes me more nauseous, the kool-aid drinker who gave him the medal, or the naked emporer who accepted it.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: I don't know

rab wrote:
I don't know which makes me more nauseous, the kool-aid drinker who gave him the medal, or the naked emporer who accepted it.

Ohhh don't say that....

I know it was an analogy for a sycophant but, oh how I wish this administration were all kool-aid drinkers... literally. Where is a Jim Jones cult leader type when you need them, to take these asshats to his little village and serve them kool-aid.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not exactly surprised

I'm not exactly surprised by this.  He's already made people stand up and applaud at the end of his speeches "just like theys does in them there movies", and keeps protestors or anyone with an even slightly different opinion well out of sight at any rallies so they can't even be in the background of the events.

If there's a system that can be abused, he'll abuse it.  He's the modern day Caligula. It's a good thing he can only be in power for two sessions at most, you'll have to excuse me for being paranoid that he may find/force a way around this - a paranoia that won't ease until he's gone and someone else is in power.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Next thing you know he'll

Next thing you know he'll get an honorary degree in Decision Making from Regent University.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: Next thing

D-cubed wrote:
Next thing you know he'll get an honorary degree in Decision Making from Regent University.

He is "The Decider"... LOL. 

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
And a "war president" whom

And a "war president" whom god instructed to attack Saddam.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: How

Iruka Naminori wrote:

How stupid.  Bush is a cowardly lying pussy.

LMAO! 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought it was illegal to

I thought it was illegal to recieve a military honour one had not earned. I guess they're all meaningless. Good stuff.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn, I was hoping that

Damn, I was hoping that Purple Heart was a disease that makes your nuts fall off while you die screaming and shitting on yourself.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: Damn, I was

Gauche wrote:
Damn, I was hoping that Purple Heart was a disease that makes your nuts fall off while you die screaming and shitting on yourself.

Holy shit, that was hilarious!! 

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We feel like emotional

"We feel like emotional wounds and scars are as hard to carry as physical wounds," Thomas said.

Emotional scars. I go 'em too, but I'm not running around wanting a purple heart.

And besides "emotional wounds and scars"? Not the sameas what my Grandfather had to go through to get one.

Little crap 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only purple heart I've

The only purple heart I've seen that was earned by someone in the family was that of an uncle of mine who received it posthumously. He was felled by a Japanese machine gunner on the island of Luzon in the Phillippines late in WWII.  Maybe W could symbolically die, as my uncle actually did.
What's next? Is some slobbering Republican going to hand Bush his Medal of Honor? I have no doubt this president would take that, too. I think he is incapable of seeing himself in realistic terms. To me he seems not just crazy in some hyperbolic sense, but actually insane. I truly fear for this country.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Largo wrote: To me he

Largo wrote:
To me he seems not just crazy in some hyperbolic sense, but actually insane. I truly fear for this country.

Oh, I hear you, Largo.  Loud and clear.

Instead of a Purple Heart, I think the entire populations of the United States, Iraq and Afghanistan should line up to give him a "purple nurple."  When the "nurple" area gets too "purple," subsequent attendees could switch to another area of the anatomy: perhaps the area Gauche spoke of.

Then maybe he'd deserve the Purple Heart. Eye-wink

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
This horrifies me. It's

This horrifies me.

It's disrespectful and insulting to any soldier who actually got a LEGITIMATE purple heart.

For some reason this really bugs me.

I got teased in high school, do I get one?

Sticks and stones, Mr President, STICKS AND STONES....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Largo wrote:
To me he seems not just crazy in some hyperbolic sense, but actually insane. I truly fear for this country.

Oh, I hear you, Largo.  Loud and clear.

Instead of a Purple Heart, I think the entire populations of the United States, Iraq and Afghanistan should line up to give him a "purple nurple."  When the "nurple" area gets too "purple," subsequent attendees could switch to another area of the anatomy: perhaps the area Gauche spoke of.

Then maybe he'd deserve the Purple Heart. Eye-wink

I think the list of attainees to such an event would be much higher than just those three nations. Sticking out tongue

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
you know,... after coming

you know,... after coming from a the funeral of a man who actually died  in the war, I am even more insulted than before.  Ninja and I know a guy who saved another guy from a grenade by jumping on the officer as a shield... he got a purple heart because he saved another man's life and was carried away with chunks of shrapnel in his body... Okay... I was calm... but I just keep getting more and more pissed about how the soldiers today are being treated. 

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: you

Wishkah311 wrote:
you know,... after coming from a the funeral of a man who actually died in the war, I am even more insulted than before. Ninja and I know a guy who saved another guy from a grenade by jumping on the officer as a shield... he got a purple heart because he saved another man's life and was carried away with chunks of shrapnel in his body... Okay... I was calm... but I just keep getting more and more pissed about how the soldiers today are being treated.

To give Bush a Purple Heart - the man who sent our boys over there - is a real slap in the face to true heros like your friend.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

unRogers
unRogers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to clairify, its the

Just to clairify, its the asshat who originally earned 3 purple hearts in vietnam is giving one of his to bush. Not the military.

Not that this is that much better.

WWTFSMDFAKB?

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
unRogers wrote: Just to

unRogers wrote:

Just to clairify, its the asshat who originally earned 3 purple hearts in vietnam is giving one of his to bush. Not the military.

Not that this is that much better.

I guess if the guy WANTS to give it to him, he can do what he likes, but the significance of what a purple heart MEANS is going to upset a lot of legitimately earned "owners" of them.

Is it irony that the veteran earned 3 Purple Hearts in a war that is now considered to be a giant fuckup of the American government and a military failure, and is now choosing to give one of these medals to a President for being criticized over what is going to be considered a giant fuckup of the American government and a military failure?

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really feel like I

I don't really feel like I should dictate what a veteran does with the purple hearts he has received, but I'm gonna comment on it anyways.  I feel like this guy doesn't understand what that medal is for.  It is a tiny recognition of these men and women's sacrifices for our country (or for some idiot's war in some cases).  Nonetheless, this country asked, and these people stepped forward, losing life and limb in the process.. the purple heart is a beautiful tradition that should mean something to us, especially the soldiers.  This guy has cheapened the whole concept, and Bush cheapened it more by accepting it.  He knows he has no right to the medal.  And I think my friends and family who have earned one with flesh and blood would agree...  Again, not to step on any toes - I am not in the military myself - I just think this is a bunch of bullshit.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
He definitely get's it from

He definitely get's it from Mommy!

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
damn BGH.... preach on!!!!!

damn BGH.... preach on!!!!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: I don't

Wishkah311 wrote:
I don't really feel like I should dictate what a veteran does with the purple hearts he has received, but I'm gonna comment on it anyways.  I feel like this guy doesn't understand what that medal is for.  It is a tiny recognition of these men and women's sacrifices for our country (or for some idiot's war in some cases).  Nonetheless, this country asked, and these people stepped forward, losing life and limb in the process.. the purple heart is a beautiful tradition that should mean something to us, especially the soldiers.  This guy has cheapened the whole concept, and Bush cheapened it more by accepting it.  He knows he has no right to the medal.  And I think my friends and family who have earned one with flesh and blood would agree...  Again, not to step on any toes - I am not in the military myself - I just think this is a bunch of bullshit.

Very well said. I have little respect for militaries and for those who join them in general(there are exceptions, Iraq isn't one of them), but this is ridiculing every person who has fought for the United States military. If someone who couldn't even complete his lame ass(in comparison to combat) coast guard duties can get one of the most prestigious military commendations of the nation(officially or not), then of what value is any military commendation? Might as well throw them all out and tell all soldiers their country and administration doesn't really care about them after all. Bush isn't just a hypocritical moron, he's dishonourable.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Might as well

Vastet wrote:
Might as well throw them all out and tell all soldiers their country and administration doesn't really care about them after all. Bush isn't just a hypocritical moron, he's dishonourable.

Damn straight