Ten Reasons You Will Not Recognize America in Ten Years

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

There are tons of comments from both sides of the fence at DIGG and and the site it was posted.
DIGG STORY: http://digg.com/political_opinion/Ten_Reasons_You_Will_Not_Recognize_America_in_Ten_Years

This article was submitted to the Florida Tech Crimson Oct 3, 2006

“We shall have world government whether or not you like it, by conquest or consent.”

Statement by Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) member James Warburg to The Senate Foreign Relations Committee on February 17th, l950

“And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their forehead: and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.”

Revelations 13:16

The New Torture Bill

House bill H6166 (yup…Eye-wink signed by the president, introduces, per the New York Times, “a dangerously broad definition of ‘illegal enemy combatant’…could subject legal residents … to summary arrest and indefinite detention with no hope of appeal.” It essentially broadens the term so that it can be applied to “whomever a military tribunal says so,” to paraphrase freedomunderground.org.

The PATRIOT Act
This law expands the government’s surveillance ability involving American citizens, particularly on-line and over voice communications via the use of wiretaps. It also greatly expands the definition of “terrorism” and allows the government to enter and search our homes without them informing us.

The REAL ID Act
This bill requires all U.S. citizens to carry a federal I.D. card to, as stated by CNET.com, “travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service.” Americans will hear some variant of “Your papers, please.” Will we accept it as necessary for our protection?

Kellogg Brown and Root Concentration Camps
Yes, you read that correctly. Concentration camps…on American soil. “Preposterous!” you say? Regrettably, quite a reality. KBR, a subsidiary of Cheney’s old stomping grounds, Haliburton, is at this moment building facilities to house and detain large numbers of people. Dow Jones Market Watch notes that the contract “which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to expand existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs….”

“The rapid development of new programs…” What on earth could they mean by that?

Do I have your attention yet?

Biometric Big Brother
Doing a quick search on “biometrics”, one quickly finds the Biometric Consortium which “serves as a focal point for research, development, testing, evaluation, and application of biometric-based personal identification/verification technology.” Already in use are rice-sized RFID chips implantable in human flesh, produced by a Florida-based company called Verichip (take a look at their website). It will become necessary to have this type of tag if one is to buy, sell, or otherwise participate in society (even turn on your computer). Note that Britain has already in place big brother type loudspeakers that shout at you when you may be committing a violation or infraction, or even using bad language-wasn’t that in some dystopian Schwarzenegger film? From the Daily Mail, Sept 16, 2006: “Big Brother is not only watching you - now he’s barking orders too. Britain’s first ‘talking’ CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.”

North American Union
The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America website states that it “was launched in March of 2005 as a trilateral effort to increase security and enhance prosperity among the United States, Canada and Mexico through greater cooperation and information sharing.” Reading between the lines of the lullaby rhetoric, the president has signed agreements with Canada and Mexico, without congressional approval, to merge the three countries into a single North American Union. Prepare yourselves for the formal dismantling of the United States as a sovereign entity.

Prepare for the formal repeal of the Constitution (already a dead letter) and our sacred Bill of Rights (already abused to the point of obscurity). It is happening right under our noses.

Racial Scapegoating

Since 9/11/2001, it has become acceptable to bash muslims. At first, a distinction was made between the radical fundamentalists and those of more moderate persuasion, but over the past year, the rhetoric against “islamofascists” has mounted to an ear-splitting cacophony. When the administration adopts this bastard term of dubious meaning right from the mouth of sycophantic talk-radio, there is little hope of cooler heads making great efforts to distinquish between whom we might deem “radical islamofascists” and those who merely practice the religeon.

Take, as an alternative example, the great chorus of outcry against the mexican illegal immigrant. Now, understand, this massive flow of mexicans over the southern border is not only a problem ignored by the government, but has been coordinated and planned with government help. A major topic of right-wing talk radio, the tension is building for the government to step in and save the day. Mark my words, Americans will cheer as people of demonized ethnicity are herded into the aforementioned KBR camps.

Again, you as a sensible reader may likely scoff at this idea, but I point out to you that this scenario has already happened more than once on American soil: the herding of Native Americans onto reservations, and the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

Suppression of Dissent

The government began revoking the tax exempt status of churches whose pastors do not genuflect to the administration. The homes of whistle-blowers are raided by the BATF or similar organizations. Surveillance of peaceful demonstrations and the compilation of political profiles of peaceful demonstrators by police in New York (as reported by the ACLU).

Another curious point of note: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, whose mission is to “reduce inequities around the world”, was recently outed as having funded the buy-up of independent newspapers around the country. Now I ask you, dear reader, why would the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation be buying independent newspapers?

Cashless Society
Society is moving towards the complete digitization of money. When this happens, all ability to maintain anonymity in transactions will be gone. Every last thing we buy–lest we resort to out-and-out barter (which would collapse the division of labor if it became widespread)–will be traceable by The Powers That Be.

Predictions:
Prepare for the formal repeal of the right for citizens to keep and bear arms. Prepare for tighter control of food and water distribution. Prepare for tighter control of business activity. Prepare for curfew.

I regret to paint such a dire, ugly picture. These are not “what if’s” or the policies of obscure totalitarian countries in far away lands, but real news items in our own as well as other “first world” nations. You may choose to ignore the writing on the wall, and you cannot be altogether blamed for it as it is truly horrifying. Nevertheless the words are there for those with the courage to look. Finally, I complete this article in my home while reassuring my son that he can color with his new crayons after mommy makes breakfast. I ease my daughter’s distress by fixing the foot of her pajamas that had rolled over the bridge of her foot. And I grit my teeth in silence.

email me at [email protected]

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
A supporter of the Squad

A supporter of the Squad just sent me this as well:
http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2006/10/our_nominal_dem.html

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
The United States is a

The United States is a plutocratic oligarchy masked by a democratic republic.

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very scary.

Very scary.

And that "hahaha" guy called my short piece "What Happened to the America I was taught about?" silly. tsk-tsk

However, I honestly wish his assessment of it was true. Sad

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't recognize the

I don't recognize the America I was told about as a boy now.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:I

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Me neither.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Bush really fucked the

Bush really fucked the Country up. Sad

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Is this the consensus

Is this the consensus amongst analysts? This was apocalyptic enough to kick in my skeptic reflex.

(I am not a pessimist, but I am also not very informed on the topic).

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis wrote:Is

Insidium Profundis wrote:
Is this the consensus amongst analysts?

Which analysts? I can't think of a political analyst that isn't biased to some degree.

Quote:
This was apocalyptic enough to kick in my skeptic reflex.

Me too. I don't buy all of it, nor do I buy it all on that timeline, some of it is true, and we should be informed. Remember the flying car? 15 years ago they said we'd have that in 10 years. Well there is a flying car, so they made progress but we don't all have them yet. The article reminded me of that, some of this is possible within ten years, however they might just be getting started in ten years as well. If enough people figure it out, speak out, and figure out ways to correct our problems half of that list could be thrown out.

Advancements in technology are certainly happening, the question is will they be used against us. Certainly if cash is no longer used and everything is traced it'll be harder to buy a dime bag, but people will find a way around that.

Quote:
(I am not a pessimist, but I am also not very informed on the topic).

You should get more informed on it, and speak up. I myself am not informed enough either. But then again, nobody is, you can always use more knowledge.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
I don't speak up man, I'm a

I don't speak up man, I'm a misanthrope.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Some of that we can actually

Some of that we can actually even have the Christians on our side - like the biometrics. They think this is actually "The Mark of the Beast."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
V for Vendetta kind of

V for Vendetta kind of stuff.

While I don't envision these hypotheses concerning curfews, sexual torture of children, or permanent detentions, I am most assuredly prepared for them.

I'm even prepared to beat people like Insidium Profundis to the bread store or take his meat ration away. Sorry to point you out, just needed a name.

I am not a nihilist. I am a realist however. If the system will not be fixed from within then there is no other alternative BUT to tear it down and replace it. A clear alternative is needed in either case.

In my opnion, the very first thing is to guarantee that the media cannot be overtaken by the government. This at least will stave off the hidden agendas of government officials. I am an advocate for allowing media personnel to be afforded armed guards paid for by their stations to be free to roam in Iraq rather than be chauffered by the US military to what they want them to see. Give Lara Logan a security detail (and my phone number) and allow the rest of her colleagues to do the same. Those reports are needed to shift that other 32% of the population over to anti-war in Iraq supporters.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
"or even using bad

"or even using bad language"

Oh I'll be the first one to try that fucking thing out.

Also the thing about having to have the id in your skin might be a little off. I mean I could put it in my cell phone or wallet. The only way they would know if they want to scan it off my arm or they decide a strip search is in order because I said bad words or did something that really did give them reason.

I'm making a song for that dangerous song contest. It is a complete slam on the FCC on so if saying bad words becomes against the law I'll be on some sort of list. It really is just cussing to a beat, in fact cussing was bass for beat.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Haha, I'm one of the last

Haha, I'm one of the last persons you'd want to compete with.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Fine we'll just see if the

Fine we'll just see if the comp can keep up.

Ivan_Ivanov
Ivan_Ivanov's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:The REAL ID

Sapient wrote:
The REAL ID Act
This bill requires all U.S. citizens to carry a federal I.D. card to, “travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service.” Americans will hear some variant of “Your papers, please.” Will we accept it as necessary for our protection?

Howcome Americans are so shitscared of universal ID's?
Most of Europe has them, and the idea that it can be used as a Big Brother tool is a joke. You might as well speak against driver's licenses, they are used pretty much the same way in the US as IDs in Europe (the difference is you're not allowed to drive with an ID).

Quote:
North American Union
Reading between the lines of the lullaby rhetoric, the president has signed agreements with Canada and Mexico, without congressional approval, to merge the three countries into a single North American Union. Prepare yourselves for the formal dismantling of the United States as a sovereign entity.

If this union is supposed to be powerful enough to overrule the constitution of the countries taking part in it, I expect Canada and Mexico to be fucked by the United Sates, not the other way around.

I pretty much agree with what is said here, but these two points seemed a bit too paranoid for my taste.

voltaire28
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote: I

Me neither, but I think that's because the America I was taught about as a boy never existed in the first place.  I get skeptical whenever anyone starts talking idealistically about the past. 

Whenever conservatives start talking about how much better American values were back before those evil 1960s, and they talk wistfully about when times were "simpler", I know they're full of shit.  I'll just reply, "Oh, you mean back when Blacks were second-class citizens?  Back when women knew 'their place'?  Back when McCarthyism and the Red Scare was able to keep all dissenters in fear?"  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: wasn’t

Sapient wrote:
wasn’t that in some dystopian Schwarzenegger film?

Wesley Snipes, Sylvester Stallone, Dennis Leary. Demolition Man.

The scariest part of all this is that most Americans don't know it's happening, and they'll deny it if told it is. At least most Americans I've talked to(present company excepted).

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
In ten years, the power of

In ten years, the power of the united states will have been dramatically overshowadowed by the rise of China. I live there and I have seen with my own eyes what this sleeping giant is capable of. Seriously. The Americans have held hyperpower status since 1945. But it always changes, and it is someone else's turn to hold the baton.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
voltaire28

voltaire28 wrote:

Me neither, but I think that's because the America I was taught about as a boy never existed in the first place. I get skeptical whenever anyone starts talking idealistically about the past.

Whenever conservatives start talking about how much better American values were back before those evil 1960s, and they talk wistfully about when times were "simpler", I know they're full of shit. I'll just reply, "Oh, you mean back when Blacks were second-class citizens? Back when women knew 'their place'? Back when McCarthyism and the Red Scare was able to keep all dissenters in fear?"

True.

Strides are made in some areas and we take steps backward in others. It is hard to deny that the world is a better place than it was 50 or even 20 years ago. Still, we live we grim spectres leering over our shoulders, and Ithink the progress we've made is in spite of, not because of entities like US foriegn policy and the UN. We have globalization to thank for the majority of human progress.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.