Dinosaurs

Kirbert
Kirbert's picture
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-31
User is offlineOffline
Dinosaurs

Do Christians believe in dinosaurs? I don't think dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, which I guess means they don't, because the Bible is the source of all knowledge and truth. But I suppose they could argue that dinosaurs were created by God but were wiped out in the great flood because they were evil -- or perhaps because they wouldn't fit on the ark that Noah built. Or maybe they just couldn't swim.

 

Or maybe God just made the world with all those fossils under the soil to test our faith.

 

-- Kirbert


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
I read a good book about

I read a good book about what creationists believe once it's call Tower of Babel. You can probably get it at your school library or your local public library. It explains the differences between young earth creationism and other creationist beliefs, it's really informative.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft


solidsquid
solidsquid's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: I read a good

Gauche wrote:
I read a good book about what creationists believe once it's call Tower of Babel. You can probably get it at your school library or your local public library. It explains the differences between young earth creationism and other creationist beliefs, it's really informative.

Is that the Robert Pennock book? If so, I agree that it's an excellent book.


Kelreth
Kelreth's picture
Posts: 36
Joined: 2006-09-14
User is offlineOffline
There are actuallly thiests

There are actuallly thiests who take the bible and twist some of its sayings so that it looks like dinosaurs did exist when the bible was written or before it.


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Kirbert wrote: Do

Kirbert wrote:

Do Christians believe in dinosaurs? I don't think dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, which I guess means they don't, because the Bible is the source of all knowledge and truth. But I suppose they could argue that dinosaurs were created by God but were wiped out in the great flood because they were evil -- or perhaps because they wouldn't fit on the ark that Noah built. Or maybe they just couldn't swim.

 

Or maybe God just made the world with all those fossils under the soil to test our faith.

 

-- Kirbert

Well there's Christians and there are creationists. Creationists think the Flintstone's is more of a documentary than a silly cartoon.


Angelic_Atheist
Silver Member
Angelic_Atheist's picture
Posts: 264
Joined: 2006-04-06
User is offlineOffline
When I was a church goer,

When I was a church goer, they told me that fossils were the work of satan to test our faith.

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins


V1per41
V1per41's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2006-10-09
User is offlineOffline
I've heard several

I've heard several different theories, the most common are:

1) The bible mentions monsters and dragons.  Some creationists think that these are actually dinosaurs since the word "dinosaur" wasn't created until the 1800s.

2) Fosils were put there to test our faith.

3) There is a large gap of time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 called the pre-Adamite kingdom. 

4) Reptiles are always growing so dinosaurs were really just really big reptiles that survived thousands of years on an earth that had much different living conditions then it does now.

 

I always make sure I let creationists make their own arguments as to which belief they subscribe to.  That way you don't get accused of building a straw man. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan


Kirbert
Kirbert's picture
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-31
User is offlineOffline
Dinosaurs

Quote:
1) The bible mentions monsters and dragons. Some creationists think that these are actually dinosaurs since the word "dinosaur" wasn't created until the 1800s.

Actually, I've often wondered if the myths regarding monsters and dragons could be traced to dinosaur fossils. It's not reasonable to expect that nobody ever saw a dinosaur fossil until the 1800's; it would be expected that they got dug up on a regular basis over the centuries, when a farmer was plowing his field or a flood washed away a hillside. People finding giant bones would be liable to come up with all sorts of stories!

I especially like the thought of some knight in shining armor stumbling across the bones of some long-dead brontosaurus and then making up a story of how he had killed the savage beast in a fierce battle. As the story got shopworn, he added that the thing could fly and breathed fire just to make the story that much more impressive. Even better than Don Quixote tilting at windmills!

Quote:
3) There is a large gap of time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 called the pre-Adamite kingdom.

A large gap of time? Like, twenty years? The world was only created 6000 years ago, and apparently God created Adam and Eve quite shortly after Earth itself.

Quote:
4) Reptiles are always growing so dinosaurs were really just really big reptiles that survived thousands of years on an earth that had much different living conditions then it does now.

Again, when were these thousands of years supposed to fit into the 6000 years that the Earth has existed?

-- Kirbert


V1per41
V1per41's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2006-10-09
User is offlineOffline
That a very interesting

That a very interesting theory for response #1

 As far as #3 & 4 goes.  You are assuming that all creationists are young-earth creationists.  Many simply think that the earth was created 4.5 billion years ago as is. Or that One day to their god is like 1 million years to us or something like that.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan


MrGawn
Rational VIP!
MrGawn's picture
Posts: 44
Joined: 2006-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Kirbert wrote: Do

Kirbert wrote:

Do Christians believe in dinosaurs? I don't think dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, which I guess means they don't, because the Bible is the source of all knowledge and truth. But I suppose they could argue that dinosaurs were created by God but were wiped out in the great flood because they were evil -- or perhaps because they wouldn't fit on the ark that Noah built. Or maybe they just couldn't swim.

 

Or maybe God just made the world with all those fossils under the soil to test our faith.

 

-- Kirbert

THIS GUY IS AWESOME!!!! (he is the poster boy for insanity. can everybody now see what the "rational" response squad is all about?)

I am the radical and variable to counter act on your alpha and omega! The One True Juggernaut, and. . . I WILL BASH AND CUT DOWN THOSE THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT!!!