Best strategy to debate the ignorant

Ig
User is offlineOffline
Best strategy to debate the ignorant

Hi guys and gals. I spend a lot of time on You Tube arguing with creationist about evolution. I can talk to them till I am blue in the face and it makes no difference. I point them to fact after fact and they just move the goal posts. I am at the point where I just throw up my hands and call them a moron or something and move on.

Any tips on how to get through to these people? Should I even bother?

Here's a great example of the ignorance we are dealing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmX0aDyh1E

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hahahaha these people slay

Hahahaha these people slay me.

coolsteevo (2 days ago) (1) I like the analogy but its not completely true. Yes if you add up inches they become miles. But you are forgetting that micro evolution has a limit. Instead of comparing it to adding inches into miles, think of it as stacking a single brick on top of another, after it gets so high it will tip over. An example of micro evolution would be my dogs fur getting thicker in the winter.  These people don't understand evolution nor do they want to. They'd prefer to be dishonest and say that "Darwinism is a religion and they have all been brainwashed into thinking man comes from monkeys, but we are too smart to be decieved."Why do you think theist parents opt their kids out of evolution teaching? Then the kids might actually UNDERSTAND the concept and see it as being a rational possible explanation for biodiversity. They don't want to hear our arguments. They'd rather stagnate in an imaginary world where they are the hard done by freedom fighters.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
The Amazing Randi once game

The Amazing Randi once game me this advice:  "Give em a good shake."

There must be more then just discussion.  There usually has to be some sort of emotional pressure, it seems, for someone to consider giving up their entire world view.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Alt Ctrl Delete
Alt Ctrl Delete's picture
User is offlineOffline
I spend a lot of time

I spend a lot of time watching videos there.  Who are you on it?  I may have watched some of yours.

Can you put pictures in here?

Ig
User is offlineOffline
I havent made any videos. I

I havent made any videos. I just make comments.

cannibal213
cannibal213's picture
User is offlineOffline
it just totally baffles me

it just totally baffles me that there are people in the 21st century still actually believe that the earth is only 10,000 years old! next thing they're going to say is that the earth is flat!

cannibal213
cannibal213's picture
User is offlineOffline
it just totally baffles me

[MOD EDIT - duplicate post removed]

Ig
User is offlineOffline
It appears to be a death

It appears to be a death grip on the literal interpretation of Genesis. If they allow themselves to stop believing that the Universe was created in 6 days some thousands of years ago exactly how it's written, then the whole Bible is in question. From what I gather, that's what fundamentalist christianity is about. It's an extremest viewpoint of the bible. Everything in there has to be 100% true or their belief system will start to form cracks. They cant let that happen no matter how much evidence you give them.

I watch a lot of jesuzfreek777's videos and that's the impression I get. Maybe someone that understands fundamentalist christianity a bit more can chime in.

I was a Catholic so I only have an external understanding. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing I've tried of late

One thing I've tried of late in one of these threads is to operate on their level, with their "logic", and extrapolate something just as ridiculous as what they believe in.   It's amazing what kind of prophecies you can draw from the bible with a little imagination (or glue sniffing)

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††