Count the religious talking points...

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Count the religious talking points...

YOU RESPOND:

Quote:
---------------- Original Message -----------------
From: Pete
Date: Dec 6 2006 3:18 PM

first of all, I'd like to say that John Lennon was not an atheist. He believed in everything. He would knock ideologies, but he also believed in everything.
Secondly, I think abolishing the possibility of god or gods because pathocrats have used religion to control a large percentage of the people is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Richard Dawkins is a good talker, but in the end it's just some fancy renaming of consciousness phenomenon. Darwinian evolution is just a theory and quite frankly it is full of holes. So is religious dogma. The reason being we are trying to bite our own teeth. The ultimate realization is that all life springs from consciousness, not the other way around. That is definitely irrational according to our old world way of thinking. I suggest you extrapolate from quantum physics. If I can affect quantum simply by observing does that mean I have prior knowledge of how the quantum field will behave, there is some sort of inextricable communication between all things, or I am creating it all?
I believe the answer is all of the above. Now how is THAT for irrational???

sincerely,

pete

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
pete wrote:first of all, I'd

pete wrote:
first of all, I'd like to say that John Lennon was not an atheist. He believed in everything. He would knock ideologies, but he also believed in everything.

mmm I'm pretty sure he was lacking a god belief from his song "God."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_%28John_Lennon_song%29

John Lennon's "God wrote:
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

Quote:
Secondly, I think abolishing the possibility of god or gods because pathocrats have used religion to control a large percentage of the people is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Well that isn't what I do and I'm sure few at RRS do. I would only cross a god idea off the long list of god ideas if it can't logically exist or if it is a thing or idea like a chair or love. Now if you are going say religious violence doesn't count even if they actively use religion and refer to god I would call that a no-true-scotsman. However I'm not completely sure that is exectly what you are doing but you are still basically saying it doesn't matter if religious do bad things...

Quote:
Richard Dawkins is a good talker, but in the end it's just some fancy renaming of consciousness phenomenon. Darwinian evolution is just a theory and quite frankly it is full of holes.

Full of holes? What holes are their? I'm sure all scientists would like to know what they got wrong so they can fix it. Of course you might want to talk a look at this index first.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/

Quote:
So is religious dogma. The reason being we are trying to bite our own teeth. The ultimate realization is that all life springs from consciousness, not the other way around.

Uh that sounds like a bad version of "the chicken and the egg" or "if a tree falls" question. First you need to define consciousness and then show how there is no way for things to exist without it.

Quote:
That is definitely irrational according to our old world way of thinking. I suggest you extrapolate from quantum physics. If I can affect quantum simply by observing does that mean I have prior knowledge of how the quantum field will behave, there is some sort of inextricable communication between all things, or I am creating it all?

I don't know a whole lot about quantum physics, but I'm pretty sure people don't think physics into reality...

Quote:
I believe the answer is all of the above. Now how is THAT for irrational???

Yes, I would say that is irrational, but more from the claims being irrational.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote:pete

Voiderest wrote:
pete wrote:

Secondly, I think abolishing the possibility of god or gods because pathocrats have used religion to control a large percentage of the people is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Well that isn't what I do and I'm sure few at RRS do. I would only cross a god idea off the long list of god ideas if it can't logically exist or if it is a thing or idea like a chair or love. Now if you are going say religious violence doesn't count even if they actively use religion and refer to god I would call that a no-true-scotsman.

Voiderest, I love you. I was hoping someone would see through his strawman. thumbs up

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.