I don't understand the definition of atheism...

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't understand the definition of atheism...

YOU RESPOND:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 20, 2006 11:26 PM

Thanks for the add I guess. Can't say I agree with you, but I support freedom of speech quite furiously, so power to you all. I have just one question. Are you agnositic or athiest? I ask only because in my humble opinion, Athiests are just as stupid as the fundamentalist Christians because there really isn't any defintitive proof that in some form, a higher being doesn't exist. I admit that being a Christian is extremely irrational, but that's kinda the whole point. We believe. Belief isn't true or false, it's just there. The instant that you prove something in religion, it ceases to be an object of faith and becomes fact. Listen, I hate evangelism and I agree with most of your views, but just stop for one second and think. Do you know for a fact that a God doesn't exist? Again, thanks for the add.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Video not loading? If it

Video not loading? If it doesn't load: Click here or go to asktheatheist.com

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
"I ask only because in my

"I ask only because in my humble opinion, Athiests are just as stupid as the fundamentalist Christians..."

AthEists are not stupid. Here's a short list of those you just insulted:

Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Aldous Huxley, Andrew Carnegie, Isaac Asimov, Ernest Hemingway, Arthur C. Clarke, Charles Darwin, Ayn Rand, Bengamin Franklin, Dave Mathews, Carl Sagan, Bertrand Russel, Billy Joel, Voltaire, Frank Zappa, Galileo, Nietzsche, George Bernard Shaw, etc. from http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm

Btw, you and I, both, as everyone on this planet were born A-theist.

"Belief isn't true or false, it's just there."

I believe in the invisible pink unicorn(IPU). True or false? Hmm...maybe you got something there. What I believe is IPU -this could be true, but is there a IPU? No. The IPU is false. Hence, you believe in God--true. Is there a god?--no. Your belief is therefore false. n+(-n)=0.

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
funny

Quote:
Listen, I hate evangelism and I agree with most of your views, but just stop for one second and think. Do you know for a fact that a God doesn't exist?

*sigh* I wonder if this person even pays attention to what we say here. If he did, he'd realize that the question is ridiculous as he has yet to define what he means by "God" in such a way that would be capable of being verified independantly of wishful thinking. Course, when he says this...

Quote:
I admit that being a Christian is extremely irrational, but that's kinda the whole point.

Not sure how you can be "extremely" irrational, I figure you either are or aren't, but anyway... that he's willing to admit to the un-reality of his beliefs simply shows that the reaction he desires is for us not to take him seriously. So I won't.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I went to send Bard a

I went to send Bard a message and this is what I got:

Quote:
You can't send a message to Bard because Bard's status is set to away.

Bard's away message:
I've fallen through... The hole in my heart... That you gladly made... When you used me from the start... So leave a message... You heartless b*tch... I probably just killed myself... So say what you wish...

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
atheists don't believe in

atheists don't believe the claims of theists (on theism)... that simple.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Thanks for the add I

Quote:
Thanks for the add I guess. Can't say I agree with you, but I support freedom of speech quite furiously, so power to you all. I have just one question. Are you agnositic or athiest?
some are atheist, some are agnostic. are you going to make generalisations?

Quote:
I ask only because in my humble opinion, Athiests are just as stupid as the fundamentalist Christians because there really isn't any defintitive proof that in some form, a higher being doesn't exist.
there really isn't proof that the flying spaggheti monster doesn't exist...
there really isn't proof that santa claus doesn't exist...
there really isn't proof that invisible pink unicorns don't exist...
does that mean they do exist?

Quote:
I admit that being a Christian is extremely irrational, but that's kinda the whole point.
the whole point of Christianity is to be irrational? well that explains a few things...

Quote:
We believe. Belief isn't true or false, it's just there.
so what you're saying is that the statement "god exists" is neither true nor false. in other words, god exists, and at the same time, he doesn't....

Quote:
The instant that you prove something in religion, it ceases to be an object of faith and becomes fact.
can you prove to me that your god exists?

Quote:
Listen, I hate evangelism and I agree with most of your views, but just stop for one second and think. Do you know for a fact that a God doesn't exist? Again, thanks for the add.

do you know for a fact that the FSM doesn't exist?
do you know for a fact that santa claus doesn't exist?

Faithless1981
User is offlineOffline
In response

A-Theist.....A means without, Theist means belief in a deity or group of dieties......You are an athiest when it comes to the greek gods, or the god of allah, am I right? You are without belief of those gods, and yet you criticize us for not believing in your god. There are two types of faith, one is based on evidence, the other is not. I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow based on earlier observations, but those that are not based on anything are irrational, and I prefer to stay away from irrationality thank you. I don't believe in wompas, because there is no proof, or unicorns, or dragons, and hence, I know they don't exist. The same reasoning goes with god. Any god.