Crammy cram cram down their throats you do...

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Crammy cram cram down their throats you do...

YOU RESPOND

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: I am batman
Date: Sep 2, 2006 4:14 PM

If it is wrong for religoin to be pushed into eachother's faces, shouldn't it also be wrong to cram atheism down eachother's throughts?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Kemono
Posts: 137
Joined: 2006-08-13
User is offlineOffline
Quote: -----------------

Quote:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: I am batman
Date: Sep 2, 2006 4:14 PM

If it is wrong for religoin to be pushed into eachother's faces, shouldn't it also be wrong to cram atheism down eachother's throughts?

If I am ever duped into believing something that is not only false but also harmful, I certainly hope someone will try to argue me out of it.

Of course, there may be some who prefer their delusions to reality. On the face of it, it may seem like a good idea to simply allow everyone to believe what he wishes. Consider, however, that a person's behaviour is largely determined by the beliefs he holds. Irrational beliefs are the direct cause of the Nazi holocaust, of the Arab-Israeli conflict, of the 9/11 attacks, of the killing of "witches" in India and Africa (and indeed in Europe), and countless other atrocities. Allowing these beliefs to go uncriticized is a luxury we simply cannot afford.

We do not want anyone to accept atheism dogmatically. Instead, we welcome you to critically examine our claims. Beliefs should be grounded not in faith but in evidence.


reason_passion
Rational VIP!
Posts: 158
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
cramming

The last time I checked there wasn't some grand atheistic conspiracy to control the governments, institute a dogmatic morality and tell everyone they're going to get tortured for eternity if they don't believe what we do.

On the contrary, all of that is precisely the christian agenda.

Who controls all 3 branches of government? The conservatives and their religious allies.

Is it possible to get elected without kowtowing to the religious right? Nope.

Are you considered a traitor for believing in god? Nope, but you are if you don't believe.

Last of all, cramming presupposes inability to admit to being wrong and/or belief in absolute knowledge. Who has that as a cornerstone of their belief structure? Oh yes, the religious believer, not the atheist.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm


Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
Posts: 690
Joined: 2006-04-12
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
YOU RESPOND

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: I am batman
Date: Sep 2, 2006 4:14 PM

If it is wrong for religoin to be pushed into eachother's faces, shouldn't it also be wrong to cram atheism down eachother's throughts?

Yes, that would be wrong. I am not aware of this occuring anywhere or at any time though. I can see how, with a proper education and argument, one can persuade another to come to the conclusion that there is no evidence for God, but how does one force another to become rational and reach a specific conclusion? I sometimes hear this argument coming from a fundi that is upset that we are trying to attack or take away his right to pray in public.
Of course, we are not doing this. We believe an individual has the right to believe anything he wants. We don't support the use of the government endorsing his belief by sanctioning a public prayer, however.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
reason_passion wrote:The

reason_passion wrote:
The last time I checked there wasn't some grand atheistic conspiracy to control the governments, institute a dogmatic morality and tell everyone they're going to get tortured for eternity if they don't believe what we do.

On the contrary, all of that is precisely the christian agenda.

Who controls all 3 branches of government? The conservatives and their religious allies.

Is it possible to get elected without kowtowing to the religious right? Nope.

Are you considered a traitor for believing in god? Nope, but you are if you don't believe.

Last of all, cramming presupposes inability to admit to being wrong and/or belief in absolute knowledge. Who has that as a cornerstone of their belief structure? Oh yes, the religious believer, not the atheist.

Nice points... atheists simply lack the power and the numbers to cram atheism down anyone's throats... in fact, you have to go out of your way to hear an atheist speak....

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


HeathGresham
HeathGresham's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2008-03-01
User is offlineOffline
Nope

and the reason why is because when atheists are losing there job being kicked out of schools and being denied the right to run for president there is a problem. If you as a christian we're getting rocks through your window because you finnally got the courage to profess your spirituality or lack of one; you would be quite offended , actually you would be pissed, and hopefully, you would also respond rationally.

Heath Gresham


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
I could care less if

I could care less if religion is pushed down my throat. I usually just smile tell people I am an atheist and they pretty much leave me alone, well after the usual questions on why I am anyways. The problem with most religions seeking converts (i.e. coffer fillers) is that they hold the reins to power in this country. I agree that the inequality displayed to most atheists is enough to piss most of us off. Discrimination still exists when atheists want to adopt children because some states believe only god fearing christians are capable of loving their children.

I find it hard to believe that atheism is crammed down anyone's throat. There are the usual complaints about evolution being taught in schools, but this is merely a straw man arguement. Luckily, the christians I work with know that I am a "lost cause" so they don't even discuss their beliefs with me anymore. I actually kind of miss their proselytizing.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
When last did you see

When last did you see atheists going door to door?

When last did you see an atheist tv channel preaching to people?

When last did you have to see a monument of Richard Dawkins quotes in a courtroom?

When last did you see children going to a private atheist school were they are taught to distrust theists?

 

 

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


FormerXstian
FormerXstian's picture
Posts: 7
Joined: 2008-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:When last did you

Loc wrote:

When last did you see atheists going door to door?

When last did you see an atheist tv channel preaching to people?

When last did you have to see a monument of Richard Dawkins quotes in a courtroom?

When last did you see children going to a private atheist school were they are taught to distrust theists?

 

Quote for truth.

I'm 35 years old and have never been "ministered" to by a group of atheists handing out flyers or singing on the steps of the town hall. Any bets on whether or not I have seen Christians doing these things?


joewhyit
Posts: 43
Joined: 2007-06-12
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
YOU RESPOND ----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: I am batman Date: Sep 2, 2006 4:14 PM If it is wrong for religoin to be pushed into eachother's faces, shouldn't it also be wrong to cram atheism down eachother's throughts?

If it's wrong for a woman to be raped, shouldn't it also be wrong for her to pull out a gun and shoot the guy's dick off?