Evil is the absence of godliness [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Evil is the absence of godliness [YOU RESPOND]

Logical Dude sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

When we say we "love" someone, we give them a choice to love us back. God
is perfect in Love, so He gives us free will. His will is for us to choose
him. But his Perfect Love makes it possible for us to disobey him. So God
can't stop being himself because He's perfect. The first disobedient act
in the Garden led to a chain reaction called "the curse of sin". Everybody
now has their own ideas of what is right and wrong because they don't
consult God. Evil is the absence of "godliness" just like cold is the
absence of heat. Dark is the absence of light. God hates it when we hate
each other. God hates our hateful actions towards people and Him. The
first 4 commandments of the 10 instructs us how to treat God. Then
commandments 5 - 10 instructs us how to treat people. The Manual helps us
to realize our purpose just like a manual for any given invention. Don't
give up on your purpose.

 

He actually sent a bunch of seperate emails in a row....

Logical Dude sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

The purpose of a microwave is to make things warmer. The purpose of a
television set is to display images for us to see. Please then tell me
what is our purpose? Do we have any purpose of existence? I'm sorry that
people are threatening you guys. The reason whey there are so many
religions in our world today is because people want to know their purpose.
What's the point of living? Worship means - showing something worth.
Worth-ship. We all show something worth. I believe we were designed for
that very reason; to esteem our designer by loving each other. People
crave this thing called love. Christ did the biggest act of love; dying
for us. No other god has ever shown that degree of love. What's your
purpose?



 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote: When we say we

Quote:
When we say we "love" someone, we give them a choice to love us back. God is perfect in Love, so He gives us free will. His will is for us to choose
him.

 How many times have you commanded someone to love someone else?

Define love without using the word "love."

What is perfect love?  What is the scale by which we can put an endpoint on love?

Define free will.

Quote:
But his Perfect Love makes it possible for us to disobey him. So God can't stop being himself because He's perfect.

 So god is not omnipotent.  Fair enough.

 

Quote:
The first disobedient act in the Garden led to a chain reaction called "the curse of sin".

But, God created the garden, adam, and eve (and lilith, too!) knowing exactly what would happen.  So, the first disobedient act was unavoidable... 'cause god's perfect, and it couldn't have been against his will.

So, his will was for billions of people to be in hell.  Sounds awesome.  Where do I sign up?

Quote:
Everybody now has their own ideas of what is right and wrong because they don't consult God.

 You know, it's funny....   Last I checked there are over 30,000 Christian denominations in the world, and they can't seem to get their shit together to decide what's right and wrong.  Why is god so schizophrenic?

 

Quote:
Evil is the absence of "godliness" just like cold is the
absence of heat. Dark is the absence of light.

I thought god was everywhere?  If evil is the absence of godliness, and god could not possibly be without himself, he must not be everywhere.

Therefore, god is not omnipresent.  Wow... you're shooting your god in his foot.  If he were all powerful, he might be able to smite you for it.

 

Quote:
God hates it when we hate each other.

 So, it's ok for god to hate, but not for us, but perfect is one term... except perfect for us isn't perfect for him and perfect for him isn't perfect for us... so perfect doesn't mean perfect except when it means perfect...

ow...  my brain hurts.

 

Quote:
The
first 4 commandments of the 10 instructs us how to treat God. Then
commandments 5 - 10 instructs us how to treat people. The Manual helps us to realize our purpose just like a manual for any given invention. Don't give up on your purpose.

Odd that he only mentioned the things that we had already figured out on our own.. Every civilized culture -- ever -- figured out that you shouldn't kill and steal.  As for the adultery part, you need to do some reading.  You're sorely uneducated on human sexuality.  As for the coveting of your neighbor's ass -- have you noticed that the commandment is impossible?  You can keep yourself from acting on your desire, but you can't control what you want and what you don't want.  Then again, I'm guessing you haven't really done much in the field of cognition and neuroscience.  Just a hunch.

 

Quote:
The purpose of a microwave is to make things warmer. The purpose of a
television set is to display images for us to see. Please then tell me
what is our purpose?

Funny you should mention that.  I wrote an essay about it.  You can read it HERE

 

Quote:
I'm sorry that people are threatening you guys.

Me, too.

 

Quote:
The reason whey there are so many religions in our world today is because people want to know their purpose.  What's the point of living?

This might be true, but making up answers doesn't help.  

 

Quote:
Worship means - showing something worth.
Worth-ship.

wor·ship      /ˈwɜrʃɪp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wur-ship] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -shiped, -ship·ing or (especially British) -shipped, -ship·ping. –noun

1.reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
2.formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage: They attended worship this morning.
3.adoring reverence or regard: excessive worship of business success.
4.the object of adoring reverence or regard.
5.(initial capital letter) British. a title of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates and others of high rank or station (usually prec. by Your, His, or Her).
–verb (used with object)
6.to render religious reverence and homage to.
7.to feel an adoring reverence or regard for (any person or thing).
–verb (used without object)
8.to render religious reverence and homage, as to a deity.
9.to attend services of divine worship.
10.to feel an adoring reverence or regard.

 

Quote:
I believe we were designed for
that very reason; to esteem our designer by loving each other.

Suit yourself.  It's a stupid belief.

Quote:
People
crave this thing called love.

Funny.  I'm in the process of writing a rather lengthy piece on human sexuality and culture.  You should give it a look.

Oh, and if you will kindly read the piece linked at the bottom, I'll refute your argument that love and sex are not related.

 

Quote:
Christ did the biggest act of love; dying
for us.

HORSESHIT.

 

Quote:
No other god has ever shown that degree of love. What's your purpose?

Other gods have sacrificed themselves.  Have you ever read any Greek or Roman mythology?  Any at all?

 

 

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
Posts: 455
Joined: 2007-10-02
User is offlineOffline
Okay, so... according to

Okay, so... according to your logic or lack thereof:

Fire is the absence of water.

Earth is the absence of space.

The future is the absence of the past.

 

Are we getting anywhere?

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Logical Dude sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

The purpose of a microwave is to make things warmer. The purpose of a
television set is to display images for us to see. Please then tell me
what is our purpose? Do we have any purpose of existence?

Our purpose is to eat the warm things, and observe the images! duh!

 

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Christ did the biggest act of love; dying
for us. No other god has ever shown that degree of love.

 

O'Really?

Crom; Leaves us the fuck alone... and would even go to lengths of SMITING people who pray to him >.>

Aphrodite; Gives us love and lust... and is one hot biotch (lol, me thinks that luv beats jeebus luv any day... or night ^_^)

Sheogorath; Utterly insane and unpredictable, gives our lives a sense of... chaos Sticking out tongue ... and humor

 

Need i continue?

 

i could... thousands more gods and goddesses are left on the great list

 

What Would Kharn Do?


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Logical Dude wrote:When we

Logical Dude wrote:

When we say we "love" someone, we give them a choice to love us back.

Okay.

Logical Dude wrote:
God is perfect in Love, so He gives us free will. His will is for us to choose
him.

Whoa! Hold on! The first sentence was completely reasonable, and now we've jumped to someone named God, and he's perfect "in love", whatever that means. Now he's responsible for free will ... this just came out of nowhere. Slow down. Let's start with this God character. What does perfect in love mean?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
I consider being useful to

I consider being useful to society and those I care about much more noble purposes than just being around to kiss Yahweh's buttocks.

Look at other savior myths before you pull that "No other God made such a sacrifice" stuff. I'm sure others will take you to task about Jesus' "Weekend at Bernie's" being a sacrifice.

 

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Okay, so... according to your logic or lack thereof:

Fire is the absence of water.

Earth is the absence of space.

The future is the absence of the past.

 

Are we getting anywhere?

Does this mean cake is the absence of pie?  Finally it's starting to all make sense.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
Posts: 210
Joined: 2006-08-27
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The reason whey there

Quote:
The reason whey there are so many
religions in our world today is because people want to know their purpose.
And making assumptions like these  (eg "we have a purpose", "we were designed/created&quotEye-wink is exactly why religion isn't taught in science classes.

Quote:
I believe we were designed for

that very reason; to esteem our designer by loving each other.

Believing something doesn't make it true.

Quote:
What's your purpose?
That's begging the question.


FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
Posts: 455
Joined: 2007-10-02
User is offlineOffline
Yes. Cake is the absence of

Yes. Cake is the absence of pie. Soda is the absence of liquor. And Gene Roddenberry is the absence of George Lucas. Star Trek is the absence of Star Wars, and Family Guy the absence of the Simpsons. Don't even get me started on SNL and MAD TV.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”


Heath Gresham (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I run a blog about debating

I run a blog about debating hot issues like religion and politics.

The issue of good and evil is the most precedent in all of man’s duality archetypes.

"The only difference between genius and insanity is success"
This^
was wrote by Hitler himself.

The perception of good and evil or genius and insanity is completely in the eye of the beholder. If Hitler’s army would have taken over the world and exterminated all of the Jews his people and followers would view him as a genius. His name would be held higher then god himself. But he didn’t take over the world, so his lack of success established the perception of insanity. When it comes down to good and evil, using Hitler as an example again, he didn’t think what he was doing was evil, nor did his followers, no one thinks who they are, are what they do is evil because everyone, from the smallest to largest "evil" justifies it in there own minds.

 

So evil inherently does not exist.

 


joewhyit
Posts: 43
Joined: 2007-06-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote:God is perfect in

Quote:
God is perfect in Love, so He gives us free will. His will is for us to choose

 

him. But his Perfect Love makes it possible for us to disobey him.

God is supposedly omnipotent, omnipresent, and a lot of other terms that start with "omni". He already knows everything that's going to happen from now until who-the-fuck-knows-when. If he already knows what'll happen, then we don't have free will. If we do have free will after all, then God isn't omnipotent. Free will and predestination are mutually exclusive. Therefore, this guy's full of shit, and everything else he said can be summarily dismissed. End of discussion.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Evil is the absence of godliness

RationalResponseSquad wrote:



 Evil is the absence of "godliness" just like cold is the
absence of heat. Dark is the absence of light. God hates it when we hate
each other. God hates our hateful actions towards people and Him. The
first 4 commandments of the 10 instructs us how to treat God. Then
commandments 5 - 10 instructs us how to treat people. The Manual helps us
to realize our purpose just like a manual for any given invention. Don't
give up on your purpose.

 
 Christ did the biggest act of love; dying
for us. No other god has ever shown that degree of love. What's your
purpose?


 

In discussions with evangelicals or even simply Christians it’s obvious that their agenda is to save me from my ways of evil. They always drift from the discussion or distort the meaning of what I accept as facts. The reason is simple. A Christian cannot for even one microsecond doubt that they are saved by the blood of Jesus. Any thought that the entire Bible might be a product of paranoia of man is unthinkable because doubt could in their opinion result in permanent damnation. I conclude discussion between an ex-believer and a believer is like the commercial on TV for a stock trader. In this commercial a man is talking to a psychologist and he responds to the man in Italian.

 

My observation and experience as a former believer is facts are over-ridden by faith. If the belief is contradicted by facts of observation the believer challenges the facts or distorts the conclusion. If one discusses the Universe is filled with many stars and galaxies, trillions of both and suggests that it is likely we are not the only intelligent life form, a response of see how wonderful God has made everything usually follows. This detracts from the observable fact there are trillions of stars in uncountable galaxies with possible planets that may have life. If so, why would we be so important that entire star systems are destroyed to kill us as in Revelation? Of course God could simply be a super advanced individual from any of these billions of other star systems as well. How do you know for sure he is not? The claim in The Bible is that God is the greatest in the hall of gods, see Psalms. Does that mean he is the chief administrator for our spiral arm in the Milky Way or the President of The Federation of Milky Way Planets? How can you know? The usual Christian reaction to non-belief is prove that God is not real. Sure, as soon as you prove he is not from an inner planet on our spiral arm 250 million years more advanced in knowledge and technology. You go first.

 

Believers operate in a mystical spiritual dimension that overrides reality. A belief supercedes a fact that contradicts the faith of the believer. Christians believed for years the world was flat on pillars and the Earth was the center of all creation. A non-believer operates on observed facts in a dimension of observation. Faith has no basis in factual observation. Believers challenge factual based individuals that they too accept ideas on faith, as there really are galaxies, stars, atoms, molecules, and rational explanations. The believer claims the factual based individual accepts someone else’s word for these observations. The difference is I can actually use a microscope to view small particles and a telescope to view stars and galaxies. I can use mathematics to duplicate the calculations of a physicists and cosmologists. I can reproduce experiments to confirm their results if I so chose. Facts or theories can be verified to some extent if one decides while faith cannot. I have no way to prove that the Bible events are true when the event is a single person account. I have many reasons to think they are myths and legends. Appealing to arguments proving the Bible by using the Bible is marginal and not proof. Even the Jews required 2 witnesses to substantiate testimony, see the Gospels. 

 

There is no way to resolve the difference between a person living in the spiritual dimension and one living in a fact-based dimension. The spiritual person bases decisions on things that can’t be seen or measured. He makes claims that can’t be proven or verified. The factual based person uses reality to make his decisions. If you challenge a believer he replies with a quote from the Bible as proof of his position. Unfortunately, most have little knowledge of Judaism and the foundation of their messiah. Most believers distance themselves from all of the atrocities committed by Christians forcing beliefs on others from the 4th century until the present. Witch burning and heretic murders are said to be the responsibility of the state. The crusades are seen as a valiant effort to save the homeland of Jesus from pagan infidel Arabs. When you live outside of reality how can you expect tolerance and understanding for the views of others? Most Protestants have nothing but praise for Martin Luther. He however was a bigot and ranted anti-Semitic mad ravings in his writing and even as he lay dying.

 

Christianity and the belief in Jesus as the savior are based on the foundation of Judaism and Yahweh a.k.a. God. In order to accept the story of Jesus first the basis of God as taught by the Jews must be accepted or proven. If it is in error or misconstrued then anything built upon it will be given to error and misconception. In my own analysis, I have rejected much of the supposed activities of the Hebrew Bible as untrue. There are sufficient histories from other civilizations to show the stories of Moses, the Exodus, the invasion of The Promised Land, David, Solomon, the Kingdom of Israel, the Kingdom of Judah and the misapplied prophets are products of legends, myths, and distortion. I have seen sufficient proof to admit the following: There was a kingdom of Israel, there was a Kingdom of Judah, and there was a house of David mentioned (named in Mesha Steele). All the rest of the pretty tales and adventures may or may not have occurred in some form. Assyria conquered Israel, Babylon conquered Judah, and the Persians allowed some of the Judahites to return to Palestine in the 5th century BCE. There are in a few cases history correlation between Egypt, Assyria, and Babylon, which substantiate some invasions, kings, and names. There are extreme contradictions of claims made in the Bible as to many events and reality.

 

In summary, my research, analysis, and careful thought have resulted in the conclusion that what I was taught as a Lutheran and Catholic cannot be true. What’s true? Who knows, but not the Paulinity-Judeo myths. In every story and chapter in The Bible there are sufficient problems to discredit it as a reality based account. Then there are of course several problems that destroy any and all arguments of belief such as; 1) Isaiah 45:7 “I form the Light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things” 2) Where in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) is there anything to show the fall of the angels other than Genesis 6:1-6? If all was perfect as in Genesis 1:31 when did the war in heaven happen? It’s not in the Bible but is in books such as Enoch and the books of Adam and Eve.

 

Since God accepted the blame and all liability in Isaiah 45:7 the rest of the fun, games, feudal justice system of morality are not needed. He created evil and thereby accepted all responsibility, no more need be said.

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.