What about other religions?

spacebuddha
User is offlineOffline

Do the rational responders ever debate the validity of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or Taoism? I'd like to see all viewpoints contested. Christianity is just too easy.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Re: What about other religions?

spacebuddha wrote:
Do the rational responders ever debate the validity of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or Taoism?

Yes. Not often, but yes. The three of us aren't nearly as well versed in those religions as Christianity, we all grew up Christian. We have a "Jewish Intervention" show for free if you click "Play Past Shows" above.

Quote:
I'd like to see all viewpoints contested.

Same here, and that is our intent. On a philosophical level we really need to know nothing about those religions to contest them. Feel free to send some hindus and muslims our way who want to debate us... not a single one has contacted us (juxtapositioned against about 50 Christians that have).

Quote:
Christianity is just too easy.

So are Islam, Judaism, and Hinduism. Nevertheless an overwhelming majority of Americans are Christian, so the battle to fight it here is more important than Buddhism and Taoism for sure.

spentley
User is offlineOffline

I was lead to believe buddha was a real person, that existed in time.

Rook posted awhile back and opposed this.

This is clearly an issue, someone tell me. Did he or, did he not exist?

Thanks. Smiling

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline

I?d really like a show on Islam, im getting more and more interested in that religion. Mostly because we dont have that many fundamentalist christians in Sweden, but we do have an increasing number of fundamentalist Muslims.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline

spentley wrote:
I was lead to believe buddha was a real person, that existed in time.

Rook posted awhile back and opposed this.

This is clearly an issue, someone tell me. Did he or, did he not exist?

Thanks. Smiling

Buddha's existence, like Christ, is still debated on but I'm certain that the community of scholars is a little more agreeable to the idea of the non-existence of Buddha.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline

Bjxrn wrote:
I?d really like a show on Islam, im getting more and more interested in that religion. Mostly because we dont have that many fundamentalist christians in Sweden, but we do have an increasing number of fundamentalist Muslims.

I'm sure we could work something out.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Bjxrn wrote:

I agree Islam is pissin' me off right now as much as xtianity and judaism.

check out my debate with a muslim.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=785

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.