Challenge from Kent Hovid

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
Posts: 320
Joined: 2006-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Challenge from Kent Hovid

I recieved this "Challenge" for the Rational Response Squad to Debate Kent Hovind about Creationism. They don't think you will actually call or debate them but here is the information they sent. What do you all think? Is this possible and what do you all know or think about this guy?

 

 

Message:

Creation Science Evangelism 29 Cummings Road Pensacola, Florida USA [32503] Telephone: 850-479-3466 (8-5 Mon-Fri CST)

Toll-free (USA): 877-479-3466 Facsimile: 850-479-8562 http://drdino.com/contact.php

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Didn't he just get sentenced

Didn't he just get sentenced to prison? Why would the RRS want to waste time on the likes of him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind#Legal_problems

Even without the recent legal problems, Hovind isn't a good candidate because he was always extremely dishonest when it came to creationism vs. evolution. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
yep yep. Kent Hovind = scam

yep yep.

Kent Hovind = scam artist.  I'm not even sure he believes all the theist bullshit.  I think he's just been profiting off of it for years.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: I

Pathofreason wrote:

I recieved this "Challenge" for the Rational Response Squad to Debate Kent Hovind about Creationism. They don't think you will actually call or debate them but here is the information they sent. What do you all think? Is this possible and what do you all know or think about this guy?

 

 

Message:

Creation Science Evangelism 29 Cummings Road Pensacola, Florida USA [32503] Telephone: 850-479-3466 (8-5 Mon-Fri CST)

Toll-free (USA): 877-479-3466 Facsimile: 850-479-8562 http://drdino.com/contact.php

 

Do you know if he wants us to debate him from inside the walls of his jail or should we wait 10 years until he gets out?  Maybe the easiest way is for him to call it in which we will gladly allow.  Do you know if he's only allowed to talk for a certain amount of time?

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
Posts: 1331
Joined: 2006-09-03
User is offlineOffline
I doubt the message is

I doubt the message is real.

Hovind is locked up and they won't let him out! Laughing

 

But even if the message is real and Hovind debates the RRS, the show will be reminiscent of the time they debunked fishdontwalk.com


Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
Posts: 320
Joined: 2006-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Don't know much about him

I really didn't know much about him until after I got the "Challenge" Apparently it was from one of his "followers" who claims that the IRS set him up because of the fact that they agree with evolution and they wanted to silence him. I think its all pretty crazy if you ask me.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
That's pretty funny. If he's

That's pretty funny. If he's that whacko he belongs in the looney bin.


American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
Posts: 1331
Joined: 2006-09-03
User is offlineOffline
Rational Response Squad vs

Rational Response Squad vs Kent Hovind= Mismatch.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Kind of like a boxing match

Kind of like a boxing match between Lennox Lewis and PeeWee Herman!


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Aw heck.  You don't want to

Aw heck.  You don't want to debate him anyway.  He'd have to call you and they can only make collect calls from prison.  Just think of the phone bill (and I doubt if he has Skype).

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1196
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
He's probably too busy being

He's probably too busy being someone's girlfriend in prison to take a call anyway.


MrRage
Posts: 896
Joined: 2006-12-22
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: I

Pathofreason wrote:
I really didn't know much about him until after I got the "Challenge" Apparently it was from one of his "followers" who claims that the IRS set him up because of the fact that they agree with evolution and they wanted to silence him. I think its all pretty crazy if you ask me.

Liars. There's one reason he's in prison. You don't fuck with the IRS!


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote: He's probably too

Quote:
He's probably too busy being someone's girlfriend in prison to take a call anyway.

Hehehe... And Ted Haggart's thinking, "What a lucky bastard.  I had to go to this 'How to Love Pussy Camp' and he gets to be in there with all those strong sweaty men..."

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I think prisons also track

I think prisons also track phone numbers. I dont think you want him having your personal info. Maybe if you had an 800 number, but you dont do live shows so there wouldnt be a point.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10340
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: I

Pathofreason wrote:
I really didn't know much about him until after I got the "Challenge" Apparently it was from one of his "followers" who claims that the IRS set him up because of the fact that they agree with evolution and they wanted to silence him. I think its all pretty crazy if you ask me.

Rofl. Like the IRS gives a rats ass about science OR religion, except in regards to how much money they can take from either.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
Posts: 110
Joined: 2007-02-08
User is offlineOffline
As the local IRS goon, I

As the local IRS goon, I can tell you that we do care about religion - a lot.  Hell, we're the ones trying to get Congress to start taxing churches, so we can reduce the burden on normal people.

Just think how much less atheists would have to pay in if we got 30% of what went into the collection plate......mmmm.......*drooling*

So, yeah.  Call your local Congressman and start getting these religious bigots taxed, and we'll have many more Kent Hovinds who try to hide their funds.  Jim Bakker, anyone?

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10340
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
My disclaimer covered that.

My disclaimer covered that. Smiling

It'll be a beautiful day when the books of churches are taxed like everything else. The only thing that should be tax exempt is a charity. And then it should be completely transparent.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
The FFRF reports to the IRS

The FFRF reports to the IRS when churches get overly political.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I met him several

Yeah, I met him several times and went to school with his children. Kent Hovind is a raconteur, a snake oil medicine man, a thief, a liar, a fake, a charlatan, and a conspiracy theorist.  He's very intelligent and a highly effective communicator though, and sometimes that's all it takes, especially with christians.


Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
Posts: 214
Joined: 2006-04-26
User is offlineOffline
Kent Hovind has about a

Kent Hovind has about a half-dozen one-liners he uses in the course of a "debate" - they're all red herrings and most people here who are familiar with him are bored by the same fallacies he throws about. My favorite is, "Time is your god" - that cracks me up.


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Kent Hovind is an idiot.

Kent Hovind is an idiot. Firstly:

He has no higher education in any science

He has no degree from an accredited institution (Patriot Bible Universty is not considered an accredited institution for obvious reasons)

He does not have any qualification an academic would recognize

He frequently makes fun of evolution for saying that "we came from rocks" not realizing that a) it says nothing of the sort and b) it is the Bible which says that God made man "out of dust", which is, in fact, rock powder. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


MrRage
Posts: 896
Joined: 2006-12-22
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Kent

deludedgod wrote:
Kent Hovind is an idiot.

I disagree. I think he's smart enough to know he bullshitting. He's also smart enough to know that enough people will buy his bullshit, and will give him money for providing said bullshit.