RRS on Nightline Tuesday night in webcam room!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
RRS on Nightline Tuesday night in webcam room!

ABCs NIGHTLINE will be featuring the Rational Response Squad in February. The segment is scheduled to be recorded on Tuesday January 22nd (the reporters wife is due and it could be rescheduled). The segment will air in February on Nationally broadcast NIGHTLINE. NIGHTLINE will be visiting "RRS studios" and hanging out with Kelly and I for the day, recording us working on various projects and feature us in an interview. We will air this in studio visit from NIGHTLINE in our stickam webcam chatroom, so hang out with us in there if you can... maybe you'll see your name on TV if we interact with the chatroom during our segment. We'll have more details on time in a few days, but it appears that NIGHTLINE will be here from 9am-4pm.

MrGawn
Rational VIP!
MrGawn's picture
User is offlineOffline
count me in. anything to

count me in. anything to help the free-minded. . .

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet. It's possible you

Sweet.

It's possible you might even get something approaching a fair shake from Nightline.

Here's hoping.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is great. I look

This is great. I look forward to hearing about it when I get back.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
Congrats on the Coverage!

Brian, as I told you last night at the Philly Atheists Meetup, I am so proud of you and the great media coverage that you're getting. Activism comes in all forms. Atheist activism is often overlooked.

I am on the Boards of Directors for 4 different secular, church-state, and atheist groups, and I'm my group's rep on another Board (am I on 5 now? lol)... there are no reporters beating my door down to ask me about my writing, my meetings, or my projects. So while I work within the structure of organized groups, I appreciate seeing go-getters like you, taking the initiative to think outside the box and show another angle of atheist activism that not everyone is familiar with.

Maybe I'll join you in your chat on Tuesday! Don't let me forget!

Congrats again, and keep up the good work!

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 22nd is a Monday.

The 22nd is a Monday.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: ABCs

Sapient wrote:
ABCs NIGHTLINE will be featuring the Rational Response Squad in February. The segment is scheduled to be recorded on Tuesday January 22nd ...NIGHTLINE will be here from 9am-4pm.
Tuesday is the 23rd.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
My bad, Tuesday the 23rd it

My bad, Tuesday the 23rd it is. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just dont mention my name.

Just dont mention my name. I dont want to be associated with a bunch of kitten barbaquers.

(Note to self: Did I think that, or type it?) 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope I can get in for a

I hope I can get in for a little bit tomorrow. They would be all like: "OMGWTF, RRS has international foreign followers from outside the country far away!" and stuff. Also, if they had anything to do with that challenge the blasphemy report, slap them a little. Has any big news station used the term OMGWTF yet in a report before? THEY CAN MAKE HISTORY! Smiling

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Could you let us know then

Could you let us know then exactly when the show would air? I want to record it (I'll almost certainly either be sleeping or working when it's on.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
We'll cross our fingers

We'll cross our fingers that the reporter's wife doesn't go into labor until Wednesday.

Break a leg, my friends! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
The webcam is now turned

The webcam is now turned on, come on in.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_webcam_room

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
The Nightline spot went

The Nightline spot went well.  Unfortunatly they say that they have more to shoot, and need me to come to NY on Friday. So take care of the forums from midnight Thursday to 4 pm Friday for me.  Eye-wink 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now you get a free trip to

Now you get a free trip to New York?!?

Color me green with envy.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Now you get a

Susan wrote:

Now you get a free trip to New York?!?

Color me green with envy.

Yeah, on the high speed Acela thing.  (I'm not as thrilled as you sound)

Rayven_Alandria
Rayven_Alandria's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm looking forward to the

I'm looking forward to the broadcast...I hope they didn't do a spin job in the editing room.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
As of a 5pm meeting tonight

As of a 5pm meeting tonight they've pushed my Nightline back to Tuesday.  I head to ABC studios at 9:30 tomorrow morning.  Smiling 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
The bulletin I sent on

The bulletin I sent on myspace:

The Rational Response Squad will be featured on Nightline, Tuesday night. ABC has a brief 23 second preview at the following link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2828283

Watch from 35 seconds-58 seconds.

The portion you see in the preview is in response to "Some Christians say that you can be forgiven for what you've done" and I respond by laughing at the notion that the "UNFORGIVABLE" sin is actually "forgivable" mentioning how gays can go to hell without even trying, yet here we are trying to commit this unforgivable sin and the naysayers would have us believe we can be forgiven for it. I then commented on how this rationalization process on behalf of the Christians (turning reality upside down) is exactly what we're talking about when we say that theism is like a mind disorder.

You can watch the entire segment with Brian Sapient and other RRS members in our webcam room tomorrow night at 11:30 pm EST.

Disclaimer: We're not particularly thrilled with our performance on Nightline we could've done much better. However, our appearance on Nightline will likely have more to do with how it's edited, then with what we said. It's a little nerve racking knowing that your thoughts will be seen by over 4 million people. We are a work in progress and are up for constructive criticism, and keep in mind we've already spent several hours criticizing ourselves so we can get better at what we're trying to do.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, you will get better

Brian, you will get better with time.

BUT always remember, even with so called "liberal" media, you are still dealing with people most likely calling themselves Christians. The may have been nicer than Fox was but Ellen Johnson and Infidel Guy can both tell you weither being on ABC or CNN you are still in a minority and both liberal and conservitive media still pander to religious people.

Dont expect to win the propaganda war on their turf. Sure you can tweak things and improve here or there maybe, but the important thing is to give people more exposure to atheists by getting them here.

THIS is where the battle is won. 

Your doing a great job and whatever improvements you think you can make, will only add to the great things you are doing now.

And I'LL BE WATCHING ABC NIGHTLINE 11:30PM ET USA TIME TUESDAY! 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog