Dawkins on the record about Blasphemy Challenge.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins on the record about Blasphemy Challenge.

This letter is a response to a letter William Dembski wrote to Dawkins inquiring about Dawkins level of endorsement: 

"I had not given the Blasphemy Challenge any thought until you called it to my attention. Now that you have done so, I do not seem to feel strongly one way or the other. As that admirable bumper sticker has it, Blasphemy is a Victimless Crime. So, am I going to send in my own film clip denying the Holy Ghost? No, that is not what Oxford professors do, they write books instead. Do I find it offensive that so many young people are sending in their film clips? No. I hadn’t listened to any of them before you raised the matter. I have now done so, and I must say I find them more charming than offensive. They mostly seem rather nice young people, and they are doing their bit, in their own lively and entertaining way, to raise consciousness and set an example to their peers. I am especially pleased to note how young they are, for organized atheists have, until recently, been noticeably and discouragingly grey-headed. I think we may be witnessing the beginnings of a shift in the tectonic plates of our Zeitgeist. I am delighted to see so many young Americans taking part, in a way that suits their age group better than mine or yours."  --Richard Dawkins

www.BlasphemyChallenge.com

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very nice.  What's Sam

Very nice.  What's Sam Harris' take on this, officially?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice.  I'm just starting

Nice.

I'm just starting to read Dawkins' book, and I've got to say, between all the interviews I've seen, and through three chapters, I'm absolutely amazed that he has been called arrogant or confrontational.

What a well spoken, thoughtful man he is.  We are lucky to have someone of his caliber and charisma at the head of the cavalry charge, so to speak.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: This letter

Sapient wrote:

This letter is a response to a letter William Dembski wrote to Dawkins inquiring about Dawkins level of endorsement

William Dembski... what a turd sandwich. That reminds me of this article in Skeptical Inquirer:

http://www.csicop.org/intelligentdesignwatch/kitzmiller.html

It is about the ID trial in Dover, PA. Here Dembski had the chance to present his case on court record, but what did he do? Ran away...

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: Very

LeftofLarry wrote:
Very nice. What's Sam Harris' take on this, officially?

"Humorous campaign guys. Let me know when you get your press release done, I'll send it out to my lists. You might want to consider adding Mark 3:29 to the Blasphemy Challenge website in print as well." - Sam Harris