FAQ (under construction and not official)

Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
FAQ (under construction and not official)

Title: My idea for the title so people get what we mean when we say RRS all the time.
RRS FAQ - Rational Response Squad Frequently Asked Questions

Questions: I have a feeling a lot of this are just general questions for atheists so may not apply to RRS but I know we get the hypocrite and hate comments a lot. Feel free to add, comment, correct, or change things. This is just to get the ball rolling.
How can all of you hypocrites?

Why do you hate Christians so much?
We don’t many members have confused their love for them, I wouldn’t but I’m too mean to tell people I love them. Now the high volume of claims you see on Christianity here is due mainly to the fact it is one of the larger religions in the world and one which most of use encounter in some form most of the time. The people on the radio show are American and as such have to deal with the effects on an almost daily bases. If another religion was on top you would see more stuff on them. Also we do address other religions. Links (Threads about other religions here?)

What if your wrong?
Pascal’s Wager is shit. Link (Answer.com article?)

How can you be agnostic and atheist?
Link (I'm think Ask the Atheist would be good.)

How can you say there is no god when you can’t prove there is no god?
Bigfoot, fairies, celestial tea pots, Zeus, etc.

Doesn’t religion have a place for a purpose for life and morality?
If by purpose you mean it gives you a safety blank and by morality you mean a arbitrary set of rules made over a 1000 years ago, maybe. Also Link (Ask the Atheist)

Have you even read [insert holy book]?
Someone here probably has if it is a more mainstream religion, but even if we haven’t we would probably still classify it as irrational if it has a god belief in it.

Doesn’t [insert holy book] prove there is a god?
No, all it proves is that this one god idea exists, yes there are more then one kind of god.

Don’t communist prove we need religion?

How can you be so un-American?
1. Not all of us on this forum are American.
2. America was founded has a secular nation so we are no more or no less American then the religious. Link (Ask the Atheist)


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Do we have an official FAQ?

Do we have an official FAQ?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Do we

butterbattle wrote:

Do we have an official FAQ?

no


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:butterbattle

aiia wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Do we have an official FAQ?

no

Should we have one? I think it'd be nice if we had one.

Edit: If the posters collaborated and wrote thoughtful, succinct, and polite responses to common questions, can we create a FAQ page?  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
OK, do we need a single

OK, do we need a single FAQ?

 

AFAIK, we don't tend to agree on lots of details and perhaps it might serve us well to keep this thread going as the megaFAQ. We can each provide as much of an answer to any questions and/or add new questions.

 

Done that way, this thread could be, well, not anything official for the site but a huge resource for general use. Then if anyone wants to pull bits for specific quoting purposes or make a smaller FAQ for some specific project, the material is all in one place.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, do we need a single FAQ?

Well, we don't need one, but I think it'd be a good thing to have.

Quote:
AFAIK, we don't tend to agree on lots of details and perhaps it might serve us well to keep this thread going as the megaFAQ.

Surely, none of us disagree too much on the most common questions. Here, I'll give it a spin.

RRS FAQ - Rational Response Squad Frequently Asked Questions

Why do you hate Christians?

We do not hate Christians, nor do we hate Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Scientologists, etc. We are opposed to dogma and fundamentalism, not people.

The discussions in our forums tend to focus on Christianity for the sole reason that this is the religion we have the most experience with.

What if you're wrong?

If I'm wrong, and [insert religion] is correct, then [insert afterlife scenario].

This implies a common argument called Pascal's Wager. It is not a good argument because it is an appeal to consequences, a false dichotomy, and contains numerous unjustified assumptions.

How can you be agnostic and atheist?

By our definitions of agnosticism and atheism, the terms are not mutually exclusive. Instead, agnosticism deals with knowledge, and atheism deals with belief.

See here: Am I agnostic or atheist?

How can you say there is no god when you can’t prove there is no god?

We don't need to disprove God to be atheists because the burden of proof is on the theist. Just like in a courtroom, it is simply more logical for the side making the positive claims to present evidence for their position. If we had to disprove God to be atheists, then we would also have to disprove every other supernatural entity ever proposed, such as unicorns or fairies.     

Edit:

Isn't religion necessary for morality?

Concerning morality, it is our position that religion is superfluous at best and detrimental at worst. The morals of most major religions are based on scriptures from ancient cultures and myths, often thousands of years of old. These societies had many perspectives and practices, such as slavery, that would be considered immoral today. Additionally, their understanding of various topics, such as human sexuality and cosmology, were flawed and primitive.   

See here: Why Religion is Bad -- The Comprehensive Argument

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare