Who helped my grandfathers tumors if it wasn't God?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 7, 2006 10:52 AM

i belive ingod. i hav been going to church for about 16 years now. and how can u change ppls mind on if they belive in god or not? god has been their for me throughout my life. i said a prayer for my grandfather to get better cuz he had a lung tumor and a brain tumor and he got them taking out and now he is doing much better god helped me by keeping my grandfather alive. cxan u tell me otherwise that god wasn't their for me in that time of need then i don't know who was their to help?

lata
angel

Quote:

i belive ingod. i hav been going to church for about 16 years now. and how can u change ppls mind on if they belive in god or not?

Are you asking us why we change peoples minds? Or are you asking us how we do it?

Quote:

god has been their for me throughout my life. i said a prayer for my grandfather to get better cuz he had a lung tumor and a brain tumor and he got them taking out and now he is doing much better god helped me by keeping my grandfather alive.

Did you know that it's been scientifically proven that prayer doesn't work? Read this thread for more information.

Quote:

cxan u tell me otherwise that god wasn't their for me in that time of need then i don't know who was their to help?

So, you don't remember any doctors helping your Grandfather? It was science and the medical industry that helped your grandfather get well, it's ashame you diminish their remarkable work by attributing it to an imaginary friend. There are plenty of people who believe in God who die from tumors, and there are plenty of people who are atheist and live after having tumors removed, keep that in mind.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I've heard said how God gets all of the credit when things go well, but never gets the blame for the bad. It's called selection bias. :roll:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

This reminds me of the time when Truthdealer (rudy) on myspace once told me that him and a some other theists prayed real hard that his friend's mother tumor would be healed. Then he told me that when the doctors operated, the tumors fell out. I said you mean a piece of that woman's brain just fell out? He said, no the tumors. I said do you know what a tumor is? He's like yeah..It's cancerous cells...I don't know I'm not a doctor. I said exactly, stop trying to act like one and more importantly stop lying. Then he told me i'm going to hell..or something to that extent.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline

People should give credit where credit is due.

evilrabbit
evilrabbit's picture
User is offlineOffline

So was it God who gave him tumours in the first place? I wonder whether they'd have disappeared if she'd just prayed, and the doctors hadn't had anything to do with it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

As the Dan Barker song goes, "Nothing fails like prayer." :roll:

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline

evilrabbit wrote:
So was it God who gave him tumours in the first place? I wonder whether they'd have disappeared if she'd just prayed, and the doctors hadn't had anything to do with it.

This is the "logic" that has always baffled me. In show #4, we talked to a girl who said that God got her addicted to meth, took away her son and basically destroyed her life in order to "save" her. She justified it by saying God is angry and jealous and had she not sinned in the first place none of this would have been necessary. To top it all off, the poor girl wouldn't even give herself credit for kicking her addiction - the one thing she could have taken personal pride and empowerment from was also given to God. Sad, really.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
User is offlineOffline

My mom always liked to tell me "god helps those that help themselves".
She still doesn't understand why I laugh at that. Neither would this letter's author.

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.

evilrabbit
evilrabbit's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
God is angry and jealous

Ok, this thing always gets to me, why do Christians always refer to God as being "jealous"? Jealous of what? What would an omnipotent being have to be jealous of? False idols that He (because this being must be male) knows don't exist?

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

So, using this person's logic, if I would've prayed to god or was a believer, my mom would still be alive?!!

(My mom had cervical cancer and died from complications surrounding that.)

Should I be angry with god for picking and choosing?

I think instead, I should just give thanks to Dr. Mark Morgan, a gynecological oncologist at UPenn, for doing all that he could to help her. And fight those assholes who want to put a stop to making the HPV vaccination available.

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline

Your doctor did, you ungrateful bitch.

evilrabbit
evilrabbit's picture
User is offlineOffline

One has to wonder, how much praying will be necessary to stop him from developing secondaries?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

What about that utter idiocy some Christians spout that all prayers should be for God to do what he wills? Isn't that absurd? If someone came up to me and asked me to please go and do whatever I wanted, I would think they were a bit strange.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Joshua
Joshua's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is like an abusive

God is like an abusive husbend, and the church his hikery stick. He'll fuck you up and say he loves you, demand you fallow his rules or els,... he'll fuck you up agen, and then makes you beleave in him so that you feal you have no better place to go.

If there is a god, I'm putting my foot up his ass when I see him. Haha,.. damit, there realy is no god. O' well, I guess the god-fearing fundys' will have to do.

"Keep Fighting The Good Fight"
Joshua D. Jones

Kevinissmart
User is offlineOffline
My hate

I truly hate people that don't give any credit to doctors or the real people who solved a problem. I read an article in a newspaper in which a plane was going to crash, but the pilot managed to land the plane and who did those horrible passengers thank? They thanked God. That's just bad morals. The pilot spent thousands upon thousands of dollars and like ten years training to be a pilot and he did his job, he kept his cool, and he saved the day. He diserves the credit, not an imaginary friend.

RationalSkeptic
User is offlineOffline
Kevinissmart wrote:I truly

Kevinissmart wrote:
I truly hate people that don't give any credit to doctors or the real people who solved a problem. I read an article in a newspaper in which a plane was going to crash, but the pilot managed to land the plane and who did those horrible passengers thank? They thanked God. That's just bad morals. The pilot spent thousands upon thousands of dollars and like ten years training to be a pilot and he did his job, he kept his cool, and he saved the day. He diserves the credit, not an imaginary friend.

I know exactly how you feel. So many people thank God that they live through terrible accidents, or life threatening diseases, and so on yet they deride science and emprical establishments. People need to recognize that science is what has given us all the technology and know-how to save those dying from mortal wounds in accidents and worse, and to reverse and stop disease. Science, reason, and human perseverance.

Go to a third world country where they don't have the scientific achievements we have, and the death rate is staggeringly high. Also note that even within the US, those that can't afford hospital treatment have the same staggeringly high death rates. If it truly was God saving these people, it would certainly appear God does not like or save the poor and disadvantaged.

Secular Humanism, caring for our fellow man, is the only way we can improve our situation. God worship at best is wasting human time, resources, and potential on fabrications of the mind; at worst it causes the very atrocities that require science and technology to save people from the aftermath of religious based violence.

Alex14
User is offlineOffline
So wait a minute... My

So wait a minute... My grandpa died a year ago. You know how many times I prayed for him to get better? And he didn't. The god I knew about doesn't pick or choose. The doctors saved your grandpa's life. Not god. It was my grandpa's time to go. Just be grateful to the doctors and modern medice that you get to have your grandpa. Geezz