More live and let live atheism

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
Date: Jul 26, 2006 1:43 PM
tell me this: what is the point of internet prosthelyizing?

Our particular brand of discussion transcends the internet, but to answer the question (it seems you were trying to ask)... we have these discussions and do our work so that hopefully humanity can elevate itself to a higher plane of thinking.

Quote:
i mean the fucking christians do enough of that to go around for all of us.

And they do very little of it with honesty... that's where we pick up the slack.

Quote:
these theism posts... can you not just take it as a given that there isn't a god and move on?

So I should just not give a shit about all the brainwashed people who have bought into the concept? Sorry bud, I care too much for my fellow man to sit idly by.

Quote:
i mean to keep posting all of this anti-theistic crap is to say that theism is legitimate enough to warrant your attention, as an atheist. thats kinda silly tho, don't you think?

No, in fact the question hinges on retardation. The thought that theism is tenable or legitimate is obviously not one we would agree with. The thought that a majority of the worlds population lends credence to theistic belief is what warrants our attention. We don't validate theism by calling it irrational, the thought that we do is completely fucking ridiculous.

We recently responded in audio to two people who felt similarly to you. I hope you take the time to listen. Maybe check out Sam Harris, "The End of Faith" to open up to a new way of thinking.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/media/Mailbag/Kat6-26-06.mp3
http://www.rationalresponders.com/media/Mailbag/takeeyesoff6-26-06.mp3

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

HIS RESPONSE IN QUOTES AND MINE IN BOLD:

Quote:
preciate the prompt reply. i just don't see why morally an agnostic or atheist should care about the idiot 100 IQ masses.

Because what the masses do, directly impact you and I.

Quote:
to say that your particular ethic of caring about them is an objective moral principal that all atheists/agnostics should follow is akin to what the xians do with their universalized morality.

I never said it was an objective moral principle, I believe the opposite. I don't believe in a universal morality, please don't shove one on me.

Quote:
but my current ethic is more along the lines of "fuck them", i'm working towards more the level of taking them out of our government w/copius lawsuits. but hey, if you actually are changing the way people think, then more power to you. i can see that there are some poeple, esp. fundie internet assholes, who might enter into dialogue w/you initially to convert you, and end up converted...

thats certainly a possibility, and if you can help erase the ridiculous mark of christianity on human progress, then rock on.

Thanks, and I'm glad you are trying to impact humanity positively in your own way.

Quote:
you certainly dont have to be a dick about it either, come on, we're def on the same side of this issue. i'm just more oriented towards continuing the very rich intellectual tradition of american freethought and its fight to rid our government of doctrinal bullshit.

Sorry if I was perceived as a dick, my response to you was one in which we are defineltly not on the same side of the issue. Your battle however, is a small part of ours, we cover many issues.

Quote:
and yeah, i meant that b/c you say the word theism you validate it. umm, no, but you are giving theists a seat at the round table which is more than i'll do for the superstitious ingnorant fucks.

Not exactly, but keep in mind that seat has a huge neon sign on it that says "IRRATIONAL" and all shows with Christians on them are called "Christian Interventions." Furthermore, their seat is in the corner, and they're wearing a dunce cap.