Myspace friend, making sure we leave open the possibility

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Jul 24, 2006 7:40 PM

i don't exactly remember how i added you, but i know for sure i haven't taken a good look at your page before. i thought what you're saying is pretty neat, and rationality based. but just a quick thought. just because there isn't any proof to a god doesn't mean there isn't one. when you look at movies like the matrix, which is improbable, but not imppossible, what we find to be rational may just as well be another form of irrationality.

Agreed. However we don't assert that God is impossible. We assert that without evidence for God it is irrational to believe in one. You may hear us say words like "God doesn't exist" however when we do we are speaking in the same sense that if you told a friend that "Flying Elephants don't exist." If you saw a flying elephant you'd be forced to retract your statement however until someone provides evidence for these elephants, I think it's ok to safely assert that they don't exist.

Until evidence is given,

Sapient

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

REPLIED

Quote:
Date: Jul 26, 2006 2:36 PM

in that case, i don't think it's necessary to say theists are wrong, just that theists can't prove themselves. i, as an agnostic, see believing in no god as a faith in itself. neither side can be proven, so i can't really argue for either side.

MY RESPONSE:

You realize we're all agnostics as well right?

Read this.

There is no such thing as an agnostic who isn't an atheist or theist, more like a bunch of agnostics that have been lied to about the definitions.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
Date: Jul 26, 2006 5:42 PM

yes, to some point. i have my own definition however, as no two people have the exact same definition for anything. i see agnosticism as accepting that nothing can be proved, while atheism tends to argue against religion in general.

Quote:

All babies are atheist... what religion do they argue against?

See the problem is atheism is simply the absence of theism. There are many types of atheists, as you can see you and I are very different about our atheism, but we're still atheists.

Christians like to be deceitful about the definitions of agnostic and atheist (the definition you call your own) to marginalize people amongst other things. It worked in your case, as you thought you held some sort of philosophical high ground as an agnostic, without realizing I'm one as well. I'm also atheist of course, like I was at birth. Only now, I am very vocal about it, most atheists are not.

- Sapient

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
Date: Jul 26, 2006 5:52 PM

well, i guess you're right.
i just kind of had the wrong idea about you, from the bulletin for the "there is no god because..." essay contest, a few of the entries there sounded ignorant to some of religions they named.

peace.

It was "Theism is irrational because..."