Proselytizing Christians on MySpace

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

From time to time, I receive messages from Christians on MySpace, mostly telling me that I'm going to Hell or Jesus Saves or God blesses me. Rarely I'll waste my time responding (depending on my mood). Most of the time I'll just delete the message, never to hear from them again.

Today I received a message from "Christopher". I may or may not respond to his message. Not only am I annoyed that he had the gall to write to me (a stranger) but his idiocy gives me a headache. BUT since I whole-heartedly believe in Freedom of Speech, I will post Christopher's message to me here, along with his MySpace address, so that if you wish, YOU may return him the favor of answering his question. And if you choose to, hopefully, he will learn a little something.

Christopher's message [titled: [img]Just a Question[/img]]:

Quote:
Since ALL of the original American principles were founded on the Judain Christian concept, in your own idiology your not even an American or to call yourself an American would be just another lie correct?

Have a nice 4th of July though its truth should like wise be as offensive as God is to you.
Christopher

Christopher's MySpace address:

http://www.myspace.com/bright_morning_star

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

I took the liberty of sending him a reply to the question he posed:

This message is in response to a question you posed to an atheist that you may or may not remember (quasi-question, mostly just a testament to your ignorance). In case you don't remember what the question was, I'll quote you: "Since ALL of the original American principles were founded on the Judain Christian concept, in your own idiology your not even an American or to call yourself an American would be just another lie correct?
Have a nice 4th of July though its truth should like wise be as offensive as God is to you.
Christopher"

Well, I'll keep this short so as not to keep you from spreading more jibberish to TRUE americans who value their freedom of and from religion.

First, which Judain Christian concept are you referring to? If you are referring to the current moderate ones of tolerance and love, your ever so eloquent message embodies neither of those, since you apparently have no respect for the views of anyone who doesn't share your own views.

Now, if you are referring to the ACTUAL Judain Christian concepts of hate, bigotry, racism, violence, and an absurd sense of righteousness, YOU may practice and follow these beliefs, but America was not founded on them. On the contrary, America was founded as a beacon of freedom in response to those beliefs you speak of. You may have American history mistaken for Nazi Germany, or perhaps Spain during the Inquisition days, or possibly even any part of Europe during the religious Dark Ages.

It is most unfortunate that not only do you have no tolerance for rational thought, but you seem to have no respect for the history of the country that (I assume) you are a citizen of.

In close, I am happy to inform you that atheists all over this great nation, including myself, had an absolutely splendid Independence Day. Though we do appreciate all views presented to us, we would appreciate it if next time you took the common courtesy of depositing your fecal matter in your toilet instead of in the in-boxes of your fellow countrymen and women.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Quote:
Ignoring all your retarded bullshit
Singed God the father of Jesus Christ himself. Even he who carried the CROSS
oh yea have a nice day knowing you all have yet to die on this lake of fire and brimstone you all call earth.
no one escapes me you idiot not even the devil whom I myself cast into the fire. have a nice day

followed by:

Quote:
P.S. MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE WHO YOUR TELLING YOUR BULLSHIT TOO LEAST YOU HAVE TO END UP EATIN IT ROFL AND AS FOR YOUR PROUD AMEIRCAN IDEALISM I HAVE ON RECORD THROUGH 5 TRIALS ENOUGH DOCUMENTS TO DESTROY THE SO CALLED AMERICAN PRINCIPLES DUE TO THE GOVERMENTS SERVICE TO THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN ROME WHICH IS THE ANTI CHRIST AND THE BEAST ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURES SO TELL ME YOU FOOL
SINCE THOSE ARE REAL WHAT MAKES YOU FOOLS THINK I GOD AM NOT REAL ALSO??????????
HAVE A NICE DAY

and finishing with:

Quote:
And have less a desire to inform so called athiest of anything of importance, i simply explaine to them their cause which is to have no justice in life which therefore permitts them to committ rapes and murders and thefts and crimes with out the concept of being punished for doing so where I god and wise, you all live and die with eternal living souls upon the same lake of fire I cast the devil into and your children of the devil, no doubt like father like son, and i personaly glory in the constructed effectivness; your own loved ones shall be those who bury your dead asses into the lake of fire and as for your alls disbelife in the life of eternal living souls,
it is i who shall never forget what is created in life and that is what makes life lived eternaly, so without question you evil bastards shall burn eternaly and i god shall see to it; it is done already, Amen, signed JUSTICE

Man, this guy is a fucking FOUNTAIN of love and joy. Ha, when trying to actually make sense of his garble, I gathered that apparantly he considers himself to be god.
I don't see any purpose to reply, as this guy is a clear-cut sociopath. Now I am not for the killing of people for sending internet messages, but man, you know, it would be PRICELESS if people like this could be deported to Afghanistan or the Middle East to test their beliefs about justice.

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

How can you respond to THAT? It's not even readable.

Elta31
User is offlineOffline
Too much...

When people who follow the Jew-on-a-stick religion happen to come to my profile on Myspace, it is so overtly Satanic that they don't even bother posting their bullshit. I did try and talk to a female christian once and she told me that Josephus was proof that Jesus existed. When I told her that Josephus was born around 35 C.E. and that he could not have been witness to any of the things that Jesus said, she stopped all communication. Damn those historical facts!

www.myspace.com/mccone31

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline

I'd have to say it's unfortunate this guy hasn't really taken the time to get to know the person he's addressing first before trying to make his point (whatever it ultimately was).

So I think the critical response to his less-than-respectable tenor is probably warranted. Still I don't know that I'd agree with this vigilante "I'll enlist the help of other atheists to gang up on some person who may be fun to pick on".

My take on it is next time something like that happens, just ignore it. Heck, there's a lot of writing I see in these forums that amount to little more than less-than-rational editorializing, even among those you'd expect should be producing more thoughtful material; but since I know atheism to have much more robust representation by others than such "spokespeople", I think it better to devote my attention to those folks. In the economy of one's time, you've just got to pick your battles, or you'll forever just be using others as mere sources of entertainment rather than learning. I'd say just take the moral high ground and let the guy rant.

SAVAGE
Superfan
SAVAGE's picture
User is offlineOffline

Archangel__7 wrote:

So I think the critical response to his less-than-respectable tenor is probably warranted. Still I don't know that I'd agree with this vigilante "I'll enlist the help of other atheists to gang up on some person who may be fun to pick on".

Yeah lets persecute the christians shall we!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

A MESSAGE TO ALL THEISTS:

CRY ME A RIVER

BUILD ME A BRIDGE

BUT IN THE NAME OF NOTHING GET OVER IT.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

I'm not sure if I fully understand your positions. You are admitting there are people who not only hold these beliefs, but also make the conscious decision to push it on others yet we should simply say "oh well, let them believe what they want to believe?" Especially beliefs from people as delusional as this man? If anything, we should be permitted by any set of morals to use this guy as a case study for fundamentalists. If we choose to ignore those ideas that we are so opposed to, how does that help our case? I say, when someone makes comments such as this guy, we should not only be allowed to laugh at him, we should feel morally compelled to.

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline

applesforadam wrote:
I'm not sure if I fully understand your positions. You are admitting there are people who not only hold these beliefs, but also make the conscious decision to push it on others yet we should simply say "oh well, let them believe what they want to believe?" Especially beliefs from people as delusional as this man? If anything, we should be permitted by any set of morals to use this guy as a case study for fundamentalists. If we choose to ignore those ideas that we are so opposed to, how does that help our case? I say, when someone makes comments such as this guy, we should not only be allowed to laugh at him, we should feel morally compelled to.

I'm not suggesting the ideas he's presenting aren't worthy of attention. In fact, I'm much the advocate of C.S. Lewis' point when he put in very succinct terms, "Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered." But I suppose the larger matter I'm highlighting here is our tactics. We might simply ask ourselves this: What is our target in our cross-hairs exactly? The person or the idea?

I see methods employed on both sides that say to me these people aren't really interested in "truth" or any notion of what's "rational". Despite the rhetoric, the last thing these people want is for their opponents to become rational in their thinking, because maybe they then might actually might be challenged in rational argument themselves instead of sloganeering their way with those who already agree with their stated persuasions on the matter. If you really want to make an object lesson out of someone, try studying and then inviting the people with M.A.s and PhD's in the subject you're trying to refute into a discussion. I mean, what do we have here... Ray Comfort, some school kids off myspace, and a guy off the street who thinks he's Jesus?

Seriously.

There are better ways to discuss these ideas in a civil (and even friendly) manner without having to make anyone a "case example".

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

Archangel__7 wrote:
If we choose to ignore those ideas that we are so opposed to, how does that help our case?

Why are you saying "our" case, as if your case is my case? Clearly your case is very seperate from mine.

Quote:

There are better ways to discuss these ideas in a civil (and even friendly) manner without having to make anyone a "case example".

Feel free to start a show doing it your way. We'll gladly be guests on your show, as you know you've had an invitation to come on ours.

A drawing made for atheist radio host with the Infidel Guy:

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

Why are you saying "our" case, as if your case is my case? Clearly your case is very seperate from mine.

I think you might have inadvertently mistaken applesforadam's words for mine here...

Sapient wrote:
Feel free to start a show doing it your way. We'll gladly be guests on your show, as you know you've had an invitation to come on ours.

Heh. Granted, Brian, this is your show and I suppose you'll run it in whatever way you wish. I've been working on more of a research library which I hope will be open by the end of the year, but whether this will incorporate a radio program of some kind remains to be seen. If that becomes a reality, I'd love to have you. Eye-wink

And yes, you've been kind enough to extend that invitation, but after some thought, I think I'll have to respectfully decline for reasons I'd be willing to share with you offline. Of course, whether you wish to make those public I leave to you.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Archangel__7 wrote:
Sapient wrote:

I think you might have inadvertently mistaken applesforadam's words for mine here...

It would seem so. That was close. *whew*

Quote:

And yes, you've been kind enough to extend that invitation, but after some thought, I think I'll have to respectfully decline for reasons I'd be willing to share with you offline. Of course, whether you wish to make those public I leave to you.

How kind of you to offer to give them to me off the board. Honestly, I don't need the reasons. However if you are so inclined to make them public, I have no qualms with that. I may or may not object if they do come out. I extended the invitation as a courtesy, so that you're views may be expressed, choosing not to accept is no sweat off my back. I'll just keep going with the Ray Comforts and the freaks who think they're Jesus. Eye-wink (you left out Bill from fishdontwalk.com)

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

I could have sworn that this website was against all forms of irrational thought.

Darl
User is offlineOffline

I LOVE when those christians throw this whole 'God in the constitution is the Christian God, so Christianity must be the correct religion and you're all wrong'. THen you get to calmly explain how, in fact, the term God in the Constitution is a ambiguous term. While it's in reference to a higher power, certainly, it never mentions christianity. Then you get to go on and tell them to study their founding fathers more closely and they'll see that the majority of the Founding Fathers weren't Christian, they were Deist, which is completely different.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

I truly wish that high school history courses were required to teach about the faiths of our founding fathers and how they shaped the founding of the country. Pipe-dream? Who knows, there's nothing in atheism that says I can't have hopes and dreams.

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

I posted a blog about this on my MySpace page. Someone (www.myspace.com/iamfilth) posted a comment about it (since he is a stranger to me and was not very nice, I deleted his comment, but responded in a private message to him.) It is as follows. My comments to his post are in the < >'s.

<Since I don't know you, I'd prefer that you not post any comments on my blog. (Your comment has been deleted.) I will, however, answer your questions.>

Are you really 30?

<Yes.>

Because I'm wondering why someone who's 30 is acting like they're still in high school.

<Someone with your display pic should not comment on how juvenile another acts.>

Are you an atheist or agnostic?

<Atheist.>

Being an atheist seems just as bad as being a Christian.

<You can either be an atheist (non-believer) or a theist (believer). There are no other options.>

You can't prove that there is a God,

<You are right. You can't prove any god's existence. This is why I am an atheist.>

and you can't prove that there isn't.

<Right again. You can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.>

You can believe that there is, or you can believe that there isn't. It's the same choice just on opposite sides of the spectrum. I don't see why this seem to be such a big deal to you. You don't believe in God. Okay? Is that all there is to you, because that's how it appears. Is this your cause for living?

<This is not my "cause" for living. My non-belief is just as important to me as someone's religion is to them. It's a large part of who I am.>

"So, a Christian sent me a message through a website on a computer talking about how my beliefs are wrong. I don't see why someone would do that. Maybe it has to do with how it's thrown in the face of anyone who stumbles across the page I made. I mean, I guess if I take a good look at it, it appears that I don't do anything but deny the existance of God. Anyway, I had to reply to this Christian because I'm right and he/she's wrong, even though I have just as little proof as they do. And at work today this really cute guy walked by and I almost died. Like, oh your God, you guys should have seen him. He was dreamy. Now I'm gonna go lie down and write about him in my diary. TTFN"

<Sending me (a complete stranger) a message is one thing, but mocking or insulting me is not OK. If this issue is not important to you, don't respond to my blog about it.>

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Feel free to use the mailbag forum for your responses to mail in the future. I've moved this one to mailbag, as it fits best there. Eye-wink

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ok, thanks. Smiling