Why can't all lifes problems hit us at 14 when we know everything?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Why can't all lifes problems hit us at 14 when we know everything?

I rarely even respond to emails like this, but I thought it was about time to. I'm in bold.

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: Amanda{loves that boy named Sean}[[VIC]][[NK]]
Date: Dec 18 2006 11:54 PM

ok.Look...i think this whole "lets gang up on christians cuz we hate jesus and god"thing is ridiculous.

Where does it say we hate something that doesn't exist?

Quote:
you might think you have"freedom of speech",but to others.. you dont.

Well then apparently others aren't very intelligent.

Quote:
i was very offended by this site and i can NOT believe a human being would make such a site.

Believe it, and sorry you were offended. You should question why you were offended but if I had a site about how aliens didn't exist you probably wouldn't be.

Quote:
there are children who get on myspace everyday from the ages of 12 to 18 and YOU'RE only convincing them to not believe in God and Jesus.

Yeah so? If parents didn't brainwash their kids with beliefs they can't prove then there would be no need for us to save the children. I couldn't help but notice that you're 14. You are young. Recognize if you grew up as a believer in god, it's your parents that taught that to you, and while they may love you, this is one belief they've unfairly pushed on you when you were too young to know any better.

Quote:
How would you like it if I made a "Atheists are going to burn in hell" site?

Go ahead. You have that right. It wouldn't bother me at all.

Quote:
Dont try to act like you wouldnt care becuz YOU would hate it if I made banners convincing everyone to hate atheists.

Go ahead. I don't hate much, and I certainly don't know any 14 year olds that could make the grade as to something I would hate.

Quote:
I think you should be ashamed of yourself for this site.

Well I'm not.

Quote:
If you dont want everyone on your site hating and telling you off.. maybe you should delete the site.

I love getting told off. It reminds me why I do this.

Quote:
or apologize to everyone.

Sorry you're offended, that wasn't my intent.

Quote:
Cuz this is gone far enough.

No it hasn't. It's gone far enough when religion is over.

Quote:
Ps. Merry Christmas.

Happy Hannukah.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How would you like it

Quote:
How would you like it if I made a "Atheists are going to burn in hell" site?

And this shows how much of a bigot you are.
So foolish to equivocate all of atheism with the RRS.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
[tongue firmly in cheek]

[tongue firmly in cheek] Well! I guess she told you, huh?

Don't you wonder what kids like this think they're going to accomplish with messages such as this?

P.S. Happy Whatever. Peace

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Quote:-----------------

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: Amanda{loves that boy named Sean}[[VIC]][[NK]]
Date: Dec 19 2006 2:24 AM

Yeah,I'm 14.So what.I believe in God.So what.Yeah,I grew up in a Christian family.So what.Yeah,my boyfriend is Christian.So what.Yeah,all my friends except one are Christian.So what.

So you believe in things that you can't prove, and so does everyone around you. Your god belief is no different than belief in flying purple sharks.

Quote:
You think you have the right on telling them and myself we aren't intelligent? Cause you don't.

Actually yeah I do have that right, just as you have the right to have no clue what my rights are.

Quote:
Yeah,you might think just because I'm 14 I don't understand the whole "Religion vs. The World" thing,but I do. And uhm..no.Since you THINK you know my parents,NO,they DIDN'T push religion on me.

If there were fair they wouldn't have taken you until you were at least 16.

Quote:
Yeah I went to church a few times while I was a child,but it was MY descion to STAY there.
I could have fallen for the lies of God not loving me or even exsiting(in your case),but I knew that He loved me and everyone around me,no matter what a person did.

And this is what you're unable to prove.

Quote:
That's why I DO pray that you and your "followers" come to your senses and realize that not ALL Christians push their religion on everyone they speak to.

I don't care if a Christian pushes their beliefs on me.

Quote:
Yes,I've had that happen to me.No worries there.But we're not all "Feet washers"(as its called in some societys).
If you don't know what that is,it's basically a person who pushes their faith on you and if you don't follow EVERY one of God's laws,they expect you to perish in Hell.

And I expect you believe the same, if you don't then you aren't believing in the god of the bible.

Quote:
I'm not one of those people
Those people aren't Christian.

Yes they are. All they have to do is accept Christ.

Quote:
They're the people who give us our bad names.

Christians don't have bad names because they push their beliefs on others, Christians have a bad name because their beliefs are insane.

Quote:
So,I apologize for jumping on your "case" about this,but all I'm saying is it was a major shock for me to see your site because ...it's difficult thing for me to see.

I feel bad for you that you took it hard.

Quote:
I will say I'm Christian,I love God and Jesus,and I'm proud to say I'm saved.

You should question yourself and think why it is you need to be saved from the wrath of an all loving god that would send you to hell.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yeah,I'm 14.So what.I

Quote:
Yeah,I'm 14.So what.I believe in God.So what.Yeah,I grew up in a Christian family.So what.Yeah,my boyfriend is Christian.So what.Yeah,all my friends except one are Christian.So what.

*Microsoft word paperclip commits suicide*

Yeah we all hated him.So what.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't she realize there

Doesn't she realize there are plenty of "Atheists burn in hell" sites?


hvnlyhosts
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-02-14
User is offlineOffline
What about people who don't

What about people who don't come to know the Lord through there parent's "brainwashing" ? Are they still just as delusioned as you think?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
hvnlyhosts wrote: What

hvnlyhosts wrote:
What about people who don't come to know the Lord through there parent's "brainwashing" ? Are they still just as delusioned as you think?

 Yes.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10335
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is onlineOnline
Most people in that

Most people in that situation are refugees from another religion that was proved impossible to them. They still believe in a god of some kind, they just know the particular religion they were raised to believe is wrong. So they look for the right one. Even though there isn't one.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Connor
Connor's picture
Posts: 36
Joined: 2006-12-01
User is offlineOffline
I am fourteen too, and it

I am fourteen too, and it is this blind conformity (and atrocious grammar) which makes me tense about what will happen when my generation is handed the reins to our government.


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Connor wrote: I am

Connor wrote:

I am fourteen too, and it is this blind conformity (and atrocious grammar) which makes me tense about what will happen when my generation is handed the reins to our government.

 

This paragraph could have been written in 200 BC or 200 AD or in 1757.... every generation has the same fear.... yet our world has managed to survive and even progress. 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


Connor
Connor's picture
Posts: 36
Joined: 2006-12-01
User is offlineOffline
^ Good point. Also, your

^ Good point. Also, your first sentence, when applied to my aside about grammar, reminds me of a scene in Life of Brian...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8 Smile


hello
Posts: 179
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Christians

Sapient wrote:
Christians don't have bad names because they push their beliefs on others, Christians have a bad name because their beliefs are insane. loving god that would send you to hell.


I disagree with this point here. RRS is not a generic site about 'insane beliefs' . There is no Flying Spagetti Monster blasphemy challenge. There's an infinite number of beliefs that RRS would call insane, but they don't "fight" all of these beliefs.

This site's mission is to fight to free humanity from the mind disorder known as theism, and really all the fighting is done against Judeo-Christian theism. Why not fight to free humanity from the mind disorder as FSMism? Schizophrenia? Why not send representatives to Native American reservations in California to help them with their "mind disorders"?

Christianity in particular offends your sensiblities--not just your rational sensibilities as the FSM or Sint Holo in Cherokee mythology might--obviously you hold Christianity to be different. And I think its precisely for the reason that you denied in response to the the letter to the girl: your autonomy is offended by the fact that Christians push their beliefs on others.


hello
Posts: 179
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
This is not to say that

This is not to say that these aspects of Christianity don't offend my own sensibilities; I just think you are misrepresenting the point of contention based on the way this particular website is run. (i.e. you don't fight all beliefs equally)


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
Hello, hello! (I wanted to

Hello, hello! (I wanted to do that)

After your two posts, I would advise you to stay out of the circle of military superior officers, because it is obvious that your way of thinking is non-strategical.

If we were in the second world war and you were an advisor of Hitler, your quote would have sounded like:

"Fuhrer, I was thinking: the Russians outnumber us 12 to one, the Americans 6 to one, the European coalition 4 to one, but I think that the winning strategy is to fight them all equally and extend the front to meet them all. Across Europe, into Russia and through Africa. Bet they wouldn't expect that."

The odds weren't 22 to one, as I presented, but about 2 or 3 to one, but such a strategy lost anyway.

 

It might not be morally correct to fight only one branch of religions now, but if you sponsor me enough, I'm willing to pick a team and start deconverting in Turkey.

 

PS: I thought the FSM was supposed to be a joke aimed at showing how ridiculous unjustified and unproven beliefs are. Has he evolved lately?

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
hello, please check out the

hello, please check out the FAQ. We do have things on other religions, but it may not be that obvious when we only have a hand full from other religions on the site. Also maybe you aren't aware of the demographics but there are more christians in the world then any other religion and it is focused in the western world. With those kind of demographics you shouldn't be surprised christianity comes up more.

If Sint Holo or the joke god of FSM was the major religious force in our lives we would be looking at that more, but guess what they aren't. I hold christianity differently in the sense its knocking at my front door and about 85% of my country follow it.

Then again maybe your right maybe we should focus on the minority religions that few people believe in and don't seem to be controlling anything.


hello
Posts: 179
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
V, RM, If you look at my

V, RM, If you look at my post, I made the same point that you both did in response to me. Sapient said that he didn't care whether Christians pushed their beliefs on them, just that their beliefs were insane. My point is that based on what you guys (RRS) seem to do and say, it is exactly the opposite.

 

You don't care whether Christian beliefs are insane or not; the reason this site exists is because you care what effect their beliefs and the status quo has on your own life.



Also, I wasn't making any moral claim about what this website should fight, I was just making an observation about what it does fight.


American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
Posts: 1331
Joined: 2006-09-03
User is offlineOffline
Sapient, did she respond to

Sapient, did she respond to your message?


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
hello wrote:   You don't

hello wrote:

 

You don't care whether Christian beliefs are insane or not;

.

Yes we do. 


lester ballard
Posts: 63
Joined: 2007-02-20
User is offlineOffline
time and life

A few thoughts: some time ago I decided not to respond to religion inquiries from strangers or people I knew only casually--I tell people it's private and to move on. My reasoning is that it serves no purpose to engage with an evangelical. They are essentially in a dysfunctional state and attempting to stage their own theatre.

Here I differ with most of RRS. The effort is laudable but essentially wheel spinning. Some people will mature out of fundamentalism, but from inner dynamics rather than external argument. The best I can do is try to offer an example of a nonbeliever who is centered and compassionate.

What is important is political opposition to the religious right. They are the ones doing things to harm the rest of us and our liberty.

The content and tone of most believer email isn't about dialogue. Sure, it is appropriate to engage with moderate and thoughtful people of belief, but it doesn't appear that a lot is coming from that direction.