RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
You've heard this argument before...

Quote:
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Sep 19 2006 11:04 PM

geez...
don't you think trying to convert someone to atheism might be just as bad as trying to convert someone to a religion...

No. And the word would be "deconvert."

Quote:
you're like jehovah's witnesses...

And you're like an uninformed child of a Jehovah's witness.

Quote:
get a life.

Got one.

HE RESPONDS:

Quote:
----------------- Original Message ----------------- From: angel hates myspace Date: Sep 20, 2006 5:05 PM

too bad "deconvert" isn't a word.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deconvert

Quote:
just because you disagree with a theist's beliefs doesn't invalidate their argument.

Duh.

Quote:

furthermore you should respect someone else's beliefs, however ridiculous it may seem.

No, that's why we're here. You've been brainwashed to believe that. We should respect beliefs that deserve to be respected, not just beliefs in general. We should however... respect a persons right to have any belief, even if it's a belief that doesn't deserve respect. Take a peek at this, expand your mind.

Quote:
"believe in god? we can fix that".....did you ever think that religion serves a necessary personal and social function?

Yes, and did you ever think that being without religion serves an even more necessary function?

Quote:
maybe people *gasp* WANT to believe in god?!

Duh! Maybe people want to commit murder and shoot up heroin too... see any faults in that? Or should we respect their beliefs and just allow them to do it?

Quote:
oh wait, no it doesn't matter what you WANT...the "rational response squad" has decided what's better, for you.

Yes we have. A life based on what we can prove, one of reality. Life is too short to waste it on myths, fantasy, delusion, and fiction.

Quote:
yeah...you got a life...
too bad its on myspace.
go ahead...change the world one website at a time..

We will. We already do.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

heBREW Coffee
User is offlineOffline
This guy has good points.

This guy has good points. But thats not what Im going to talk about.

I'm going to talk about that sham of a definition that you posted on wikipedia. I'm not doubting your intellegence, and Im sure that all of you can out debate me. Congratulations, after all you have been prowling internet forums longer than ive been alive, so it is expected.

However, your wikipedia definition is unverifiable and it seems as though someone took advantage of the feature that allows people to contribute to the site. I for one, do not believe this is a real word, and you or one of your cohorts put it up on wikipedia. I have never seen this word, and relatively speaking I have seen a good degree of words. Because of this I checked my pocket websters - not there. No surprise, I thought, its not all that comprhensive. So then I went to Dictionary.com and this us what I found. What a surprise - it doesnt exsist there either. There's only one other source to check and thats my unabridged dictionary upstairs. I will check that later and will get back to you. However, the nature of the word "convert" seems irreversible. It is a linear progression I guess. SImiliar to that of "go." For example - "I went to the store." Once you have went, you can't un-went or de-went. You can only go somewhere else. You picking up what Im putting down homies?

Oh well, consider me the gadfly. And yes, please, respond.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hung up on something much?

Hung up on something much?

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
heBREW Coffee wrote:This guy

heBREW Coffee wrote:
This guy has good points. But thats not what Im going to talk about.

I'm going to talk about that sham of a definition that you posted on wikipedia. I'm not doubting your intellegence, and Im sure that all of you can out debate me. Congratulations, after all you have been prowling internet forums longer than ive been alive, so it is expected.

However, your wikipedia definition is unverifiable and it seems as though someone took advantage of the feature that allows people to contribute to the site. I for one, do not believe this is a real word, and you or one of your cohorts put it up on wikipedia. I have never seen this word, and relatively speaking I have seen a good degree of words. Because of this I checked my pocket websters - not there. No surprise, I thought, its not all that comprhensive. So then I went to Dictionary.com and this us what I found. What a surprise - it doesnt exsist there either. There's only one other source to check and thats my unabridged dictionary upstairs. I will check that later and will get back to you. However, the nature of the word "convert" seems irreversible. It is a linear progression I guess. SImiliar to that of "go." For example - "I went to the store." Once you have went, you can't un-went or de-went. You can only go somewhere else. You picking up what Im putting down homies?

Oh well, consider me the gadfly. And yes, please, respond.

You do not like deconvert?

Quote:
How about this then.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/deprogram
deprogram
One entry found for deprogram.
Main Entry: de·pro·gram
Pronunciation: (")dE-'prO-"gram, -gr&m
Function: transitive verb
: to dissuade or try to dissuade from strongly held convictions (as religious beliefs) or a firmly established or innate behavior

deconvert...deprogram same thing. I think deprogram sounds technical. Hehe.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Oh that's good.

Oh that's good. "Deprogram," I like it.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you Sapient

Thank you Sapient Smiling