What's your point?

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's your point?

Quote:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 21, 2006 4:46 PM

What is the point of arguing logic with someone who believes i God? I'm a semi-religious Jew, but I know for a fact that if someone was to convince me God doesn't exist, they would need to do something crazier than try to show me that God is illogical. If you want to get anywhere, you must answer the question of faith. Ruin faith, and you discredit religion.

OUR RESPONSE:

Thanks, we do that too.

HIS RESPONSE:

Quote:

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Aug 21, 2006 5:07 PM

What do you guys say to discredit faith, because i've never come close to giving a satisfactory argument when it comes to "just having faith"?

OUR RESPONSE:
Discrediting faith is extremely simple. Faith is what you use to believe something you don't have solid evidence for. Therefore you can use faith to believe in anything, and yet this lends no real credibility to the belief.

I could use faith to believe that God is really controlled by Satan, that Satan wants us to be evil, and that if we're evil we go to heaven, if we're good we go to hell. My faith in this sense is no more valid or less valid than the Christians or the Jews. Destroying faith is simple, it's getting a theist to be honest with themselves about it that's hard. It's not up to me to force someone to stop lying to themselves, that is a step they have to take themselves.