Christians are really atheists in the closet.
I believe Christians don't really believe the bible is anything more than myth. Most are agnostic on whether any supernatural god exists.
If you hooked up Christians to lie detectors and you asked are you 100% sure god exists and the miracles of the bible is literally true, here is what I would expect: 99.9% would fail, the 0.1% that passes would be so delusional in other areas of their life they should be locked up in a mental hospital to avoid injury to themselves and others. Here is the evidence of why I believe this.
1. Most Christians believe because they were indoctrinated as children, the fear and desire for parental approval still has a hold on them as adults.
2. They are suckers for Pascal's wager. Even Rick Warren uses this argument as his reason for belief. It's not a real belief, just hedging your bet.
3. They don't discuss the wacky things they believe except in private with other "believers" or anonymously on the Internet.
4. They don't live lives as risk takers. If you were 100% sure you'd be in Paradise when you die, you'd be a daredevil and be careless about doing things that risk your life. Instead you see the little old lady driving slow to church, no daredevils, they are terrified of death instead of looking forward to it. They are not anxious to lay down their life for a friend.
5. They refuse to take challenges to their "faith" like a lie detector test or a scientific study to prove if their god really does answer any prayers. Instead they lie to themselves and others.
6. They don't understand what the bible really teaches. If you really believed a book was of a supernatural source, you would study it continually and understand every aspect of it. When you talk to most Christians they don't know much about what it say. In fact, the more you learn about the bible and it's sources they more likely you will disbelieve.
“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca