Feng Shui

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Feng Shui

This has only recently become popular in the west, but is a very irrational idea, and pseudoscience. The very idea some mystical thing will give you bad luck because you set a room up a certain way. Set it up the way it looks good to you and that makes sense - ie saving room, not having stuff in the way. On a side note, why does pseudoscience seem to be so much more popular in the US than valid science?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
What Is Feng shui realy

What Is Feng shui realy about again?

I heard someone describe it as:

Aranging your furniture so that a dragon could walk around without messing things upp, Or something.

But I doubt the real deffinition is as rational as that.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: This has

MattShizzle wrote:
This has only recently become popular in the west, but is a very irrational idea, and pseudoscience. The very idea some mystical thing will give you bad luck because you set a room up a certain way. Set it up the way it looks good to you and that makes sense - ie saving room, not having stuff in the way. On a side note, why does pseudoscience seem to be so much more popular in the US than valid science?

my uneducated guess is - real science is boring whereas psudoscience says crazy things and proports them to be true. 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
the only thing feng shui

the only thing feng shui offers is aesthetics. But you dont need some eastern philosophy or crap like that, just you know, have an eye for what looks nice.

Dematrah
User is offlineOffline
I've never believed

I've never believed anything Feng Shui had to offer. Shifting a chair a few degrees to the west won't increase my money flow.

When I arrange furniture, it's in a way that is most useful and convenient to me. Most of the time it looks good too.

I think anything about Feng Shui services you find in the west is going to be a huge superstitious sham. :\

Mutual Glomp (my art gallery, currently being updated) | DevArt | Dead Like Us | Nothing Special comic

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's about changing all the

It's about changing all the things around you in your life to increase prosperity, right down to the furniture. 

The funny thing is, if you look at houses designed with feng shui in mind and room layouts (furniture etc), everything is always placed in really stupid awkward spots that puts things in the way and in impractical spots.  

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: On a

MattShizzle wrote:
On a side note, why does pseudoscience seem to be so much more popular in the US than valid science?

It's probably because a significant portion of the population think "regular" science is "a tool of the Devil" (heliocentricism, evolution, medicine etc. ) whereas the newer, "shinier" pseudoscience is ... well ... new and shiny.

People like shiny objects.

Americans like shiny objects more than most other people.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

WormGetsItsWings
WormGetsItsWings's picture
User is offlineOffline
It has something to do with

It has something to do with some sort of mystical energy that is apparently affected by what side of the room I put my sofa on. It also apparently is magnified by certain otherwise useless trinkets that many feng shui consultants just happen to be selling at an ultra high price. A coworker of mine has spent hundreds of dollars of her own money to feng shui her office, and still believes. I always give her shit for it, but deep down it really saddens me that people can be scammed so easily.

"On mine honour, my friend, [...] there is nothing of all that whereof thou speakest: there is no devil and no hell. Thy soul will be dead even sooner than thy body; fear, therefore, nothing any more!"

- from Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra

Fish
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: On a

MattShizzle wrote:
On a side note, why does pseudoscience seem to be so much more popular in the US than valid science?
I think that part of it is that pseudoscience is a lot easier than actual science, since you can pretty much just make up whatever you want.

It's also easier in the sense that you can believe that you can become rich and successful by rearranging your furniture, as opposed to, you know, working hard or something like that.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: This has

MattShizzle wrote:

Basically its more popular becasue fucktards can understand it.

Real science is somewhat tricky and requires study in order to grasp it. Bollocks like feng shui can be understood by and moronic, new age, airy fairy fuckwit. Yeah maaan its like ancient and japanees maaaan and like the energies maaan flow around the like room maaaan and it like balances your ying with your yang maaan yeah and that means you will get greater luck maaan.

Fucking morons.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eureka!

Last night I went to buy a coke from the machine down the hall, but before I left, I picked up all my dirty clothes that had been scattered on the floor and I threw them in the basket at the foot of the bed. And then the coke machine gave me two cokes for just one dollar!

It has to be true! How else could that happen?! 

/sarcasm 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
While I don't agree with the

While I don't agree with the reasoning behind Feng Shui, I think the appearance of a room can have a profound effect, psychologically, which can affect health, productivity, etc. The science behind it is, of course, bunk. Seems pretty harmless, unless your grams is getting fleeced by some silk-wearing David Carradine type.
I know why people like pseudoscience. Real science is hard: there are actual rules by which things interact, things that have to be memorized and studied, and checked, and understood. Even then, you don't get to play with the big boys. You might dabble in psychics, but you're not going to find yourself debating Hawking any time soon. Pseudoscience offers you the keys to the kingdom, and you don't have to KNOW anything. People love it because the ratio of work to "results" is perfect for their laziness.